Skip to main content

tv   All In With Chris Hayes  MSNBC  July 7, 2021 12:00am-1:00am PDT

12:00 am
>> we will march the capital building and call on congress to stop the steal. we are hoping patriots like you will join us to continue the fight to protect the integrity of our elections. >> six months later what we're learning about the institutional accomplices to the trump insurrection, the tread that kept them up at night and why so many americans are not letting go of the big lie. then, how a climate denying billionaire is about to do the weather forecasts what news outlets have done to democracy. >> we should approach climate change would skepticism. climate change has been here as long as the planet has been here. >> the absolute outrage at their decision to stop sha'carri richardson from wanting in the olympics because of marijuana use, all in starts right now. all in start right now. >> good evening from new york i'm chris hayes. just over six months ago on
12:01 am
january 5th 2021, one day before the sixth, an untold number of people received this telephone call. >> i'm calling from the rule of law defense fund with an important message. the march to save americas tomorrow between east street and constitution avenue on the south side of the white house, with doors opening at 7:00 am. i want to clock pm we will march to the capital building and call on congress to stop the steal. we are hoping patriots like you will join us to continue to fight the integrity of our elections. for more information visit march to save america.com. this call is paid for an authorized by the rule of law defense. >> march to the capital building to stop the steal. that is a fund-raising arm for the republican attorneys generals association. that call urging people to show up to the capital on january
12:02 am
6th and march two to stop the seal came from the body that represents top officials across the country where. already know the republican turns general played a huge role in the attempt to overturn the election. they were one of the key movers on that. in december, 17 of them banded together, signing on to a lawsuit filed by republican attorney about texas asking to supreme court to delay the certification in four battleground states where he lost. basically saying we don't like the way they ran their election. they refused to hear the case. a was entirely legally specious. we know from that called the republican attorneys generals were part of the vast coalition of forces actively whipping up the frenzy towards violence on january six, something they still have not had to apologize were count for. it's like a never happened. that phone call, like a never happened. that's a major theme as we sit here, six months since the attempted insurrection. at least 500 people who
12:03 am
allegedly participated in the capitol riot has been arrested. those who organized for them to be, they're paid for them to be there, brought us towards that moment, all of those people, more or less escape accountability. the hope is that some accountability and some transparency about what happened will be introduced. the chair of that committee will be joining me in just a moment. another member of the committee, adam schiff of california told my colleague that there are concentric circles of culpability they will be investigating including members of congress. >> what was the organization of that event like? how much forewarning was there of violence among those that were organizing it? how much knowledge was there of the white house that there might be violence? why did it take so long to get reinforcements to the capital?
12:04 am
was there something in the way of sending those reinforcements? these are just some of the questions. i think world term and to follow the evidence wherever it leads. if it leads to some of our colleagues, it leads to some of our colleagues, but we can blind ourselves to reality. >> as it happens one of his colleagues is marking today's anniversary -- asking the question who killed ashley babbitt in a press release. a member of congress who should be more famous writes it isn't to sweep ashley's death by saying that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time as so many have. her life mattered. >> babbitt is the 35-year-old woman who attempted to charge into the speakers lobbies were members of congress were present at that moment on
12:05 am
january six, with a violent mob breaking down windows, playing for blood at her back. they broke the windows of these dollars right there which is right outside the house chamber, ashley babbitt and her alone faulted, the first one to go through though there was a gun drawn in the warning and she was shot and killed by a and officer that you see on the other side. her death is obviously a horrible tragedy. it never should've happened. she never should've been there. she never should've been in the position. the key question is not who killed her, but who is truly culpable for her death and the deaths of three under trump supported that day. and the death of foot brian sicknick died the next day. many people share responsibility, donald trump, of course. but also several members of congress. members of congress who still serve. who still go to work in that building. there is of course mo brooks of alabama, who went out and rallied the crowd, that crowd that was colder by the attorneys general just ahead of
12:06 am
the ride. there's lauren boebert who was new to congress, tweeted on the morning of the six today is 1776. it i want to focus on congress paul both start. part of the reason that things got so harry, with the mob including ashley babbitt, getting so close to the people in the presidential line of succession is because the house took longer that they to adjourn the senate. i only understood this after a watch the documentary. rioters broke into the building at around 2:10 pm. the senate adjourned couple of minutes later, the messages sent. you might remember that moment, i was watching live on air. james lankford interrupted and incomes whispers and everyone starts moving quickly. everyone gets out. the house, at the same time, continued in session for several more minutes and part of the reason was because paul
12:07 am
go saar was still airing his grievances of the big lie on the house floor objecting to the ceding electors in his own state. >> in arizona, mail-in ballots were altered on the first day of counting and has been concluded by data analysts. over 400,000 mail-in ballots were altered, switch from president trump to biden, and they were erased from president trump's total. >> there, those are lies, we know that. congressman gosar as the mob is coming closer, spewing lies about the election and his spewing of those lies in those moments you saw they're delayed everything. by the time the house finally goes into recess, six minutes after the senate, to 19, it is basically to light. the rioters, the violent mob
12:08 am
are forcing their way further into the building, and that's why unlike the senate the members are in the chamber. they put on gas masks, they take off their identifying pins so they can be rounded up. they seek shelter in the house chamber with the mob literally trying to bang it down the doors outside. the night before her death ashley babbitt posted a tweet quote, nothing will stop us, they can try and shrine but the storm is here it is descending upon d.c. in less than 24 hours. dark to light. >> if ashley babbitt had been allowed to go through that window the, in the house chamber, she would've been followed by the mob, think about what might have happened. paul gosar seems to be concerned about her death yet he shares the moral responsibility for all the events of that day. the situation that led to her death was brought about at least in part by the delayed he
12:09 am
caused with his recitation of the big lie that the election was stolen, on the floor of the united states house of representatives. on that day, when congress had a duty to simply ratify the people's choice for president, and declare joe biden who was the rightful president the rightful president. so yes, the question of who does have blood on their hands from that day -- part of the reason why we need to commit to investigate. congressman benny thompson is the chair of the select committee to investigate january six and he joins me now. congressman, i feel like there's a lot we don't know about the deaths of the individuals that died that day. there's been sporadic reports, we have some reporting on ashley babbitt and her death, and other individuals, a woman who was declared a matthews or and brian sicknick. would that be the focal point of the committee? >> we will look at everything,
12:10 am
chris, and thank you for having me, by the way. one of the things is looking at all the circumstances and the facts surrounding january 6th. everything is on the table. we will look at it. we've not been given anything beyond that. i think it is important to see who was complicit, and what went on on january 6th. whether they were outside forces, inside forces. we will look at all of them. we will look at the information that's already been collected by the various committees, but also, we will look at other information that we have not had access to. telephonic information, other things. what we have to do is have the best professional staff that's available, we will do our work we will not rush the task.
12:11 am
we will interview in knee and anyone that the facts lead to. we want to talk to members of the capitol police, chris, we've talked to the brass of the capitol police. but we've not talk to the rank and file people who fought those insurrectionists that day. in my opinion, saved the lives of a lot of americans in the process. we need to hear from them. we will start the process. we won't rush it. we will look at every situation possible to get to the facts. just would you talked about a few minutes ago. some of this, this news, comes out every day so clearly it is in our best interest, with the select committee [inaudible]
12:12 am
>> i think we might be -- >> driven by facts and circumstances [inaudible] >> i think we got you back, congressman you flicker it ouch. i want to display a tweet from one of your colleagues as adam schiff said, a question of culpability of your colleagues as one of the questions at issue here, and i'm just talking about paul gosar, who was speaking on the floor, reciting these lies in those crucial six minutes i don't think there's any evidence he knew that of course, it is a grand irony. that morning he tweeted this, biden should concede, i want his concession on my desk tomorrow morning, don't make me come over there. and then he hashtag to stop the steal and he tags one of the people who is the organizer of the entire advent, and there
12:13 am
hasn't been a sufficient inquiry into what his role was in organizing the entire thing. you know what, i think the congressman's internet is out. let's take a break, we will see if we can get him back. stick right here, congressman benny thompson on the flip, if not, lots more on the show. don't go anywhere. don't go anywhere.
12:14 am
12:15 am
♪♪ i'm chi lan, i am a mom, and a real estate agent.
12:16 am
after having a kid, everything that you used to do for yourself goes out the window. the lines that i was seeing in my forehead were getting deeper than i was used to them being. and i realized, you know, what i can focus again on myself. so, what do you see when you look at yourself? i see someone who is growing and changing, who loves and is loved. >> back with me on the former botox® cosmetic is fda approved to temporarily make frown lines, crow's feet and forehead lines look better. the effects of botox® cosmetic may spread hours to weeks after injection, causing serious symptoms. alert your doctor right away as difficulty swallowing, speaking, breathing, eye problems, or muscle weakness may be a sign of a life-threatening condition. do not receive botox® cosmetic if you have a skin infection. side effects may include allergic reactions, injection site pain, headache, eyebrow, eyelid drooping, and eyelid swelling. tell your doctor about your medical history, muscle or nerve conditions, and medications including botulinum toxins as these may increase the risk of serious side effects. see for yourself at botoxcosmetic.com
12:17 am
congressman benny thompson, chair of the select committee to investigate january six. congressman i just read you that tweet let me read it again because you may not have heard me because the connection was blanking out. he said biden should concede. i want his concession on my does tomorrow morning. don't make me come over here. with a shot of the crowd, that crowd would eventually stormed the capitol, at least in the aggregate. hashtag stop the steal 2021, and tagging one of the organizers. i feel like wherever the chips fall, do you feel like you actually understand the role that members of congress may have played in organizing this entire event? >> chris, i know that there have been a number of comments made like congressman gosar tweeted. our investigation will look into all of the facts.
12:18 am
if there are members of congress who are complicit in what went on on january 6th, our investigation will bring it out, that's why we will have the best investigators possible to look at it to see whether or not the white house is involved on any other institution or government is involved. because this should not have taken place. in a democracy you can't sell your differences with an insurrection, democracy is settled in the ballot box not by an insurrectionist mob like we had on the sixth. our obligation as members of the select committee is to look at the facts and circumstances that brought a january 6th and call it just like we see it. >> i also wonder about the rule the department of justice -- of course there are criminal cases being pursued, there are 500 arrests, some speculation that that number might be up to
12:19 am
800, and those prosecutions are all being pursued out of one prosecutors office in the district of columbia underneath the district of justice. what do you expect is the level of cooperation from the doj from the attorney general and sharing information with your committee. >> to the extent that we won't interfere with the prosecution of those individuals, we expect to have conversations in a classified setting or whatever to get access to certain information. but again, we're not trying to interfere, but there are certain information that i in the committee will deem necessary to conduct or investigation. we need to know who did the fbi talk to, did they talk to d.o.d.? they do talk to metropolitan police? who in fact was part of the
12:20 am
communication circle, before january 6th? we think there was's some breakdowns in that system. we will have to look at the whole thing, not just who committed something but there are some intelligence failures that occurred on january six. we need to make sure that we fix those intelligence failures so they never happen again. why does the d.o.d. operate separately from other institutions of government as it relates to january six. we have to fix all that. why does the mayor of the district of columbia is in an empty and position to protect the citizens of that area? there are a lot of things that we need to go through. we hope and expect cooperation from every branch of government as we put this report together. >> congressman benny thompson
12:21 am
who will be cheering that select committee, thank you so much for joining us. >> thank you for having me. >> we know donald trump tried to pressure elected officials in georgia to overturn the election. we heard the audio of him saying to find just enough votes, i just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have because we won the state. he really did say that. that specifically. the pressure campaign was not just in georgia. new report by the arizona report shows that trump tried to speak directly to the chair of the maricopa county supervisors in the weeks after the election. again, there are types. this is state republican chair kelly wart, nickname -- by mitch mcconnell, calling supervisor clint heck men on behalf of trump. >> they claimed, it's kelly ward. i've just talked to president trump. and, he would like me to talk
12:22 am
to you and also see if he needs to give you a call to discuss what's happening on the ground in maricopa. give me a call back when you can. thanks. by. >> rudy giuliani also left of voice mail and on the night -- the man in charge of maricopa election got this voice mail. >> hello sir this is the white house operator is calling to let you know that the presidents available to take your call if you're free. if you could please give us a call back, sir, that would be great. have a good evening. >> trump has never stop that pressure campaign. now he's passing restrictive laws to try next time. this is a real threat. he says that this is not a hypothetical, given what we saw what trump did in 2020, these things are now within the realm of possibilities.
12:23 am
we need to have a fair election process going forward. he's a professor of law on political silence, founder of the blog joins me now. rick, i read your quote in that piece by my colleague, and i think that we all agree that there is sort of -- there are tears of concern about democratic access from voter suppression and whether people get to the ballot, and a terrifying crisis is a crisis that you talk about. in overturned election. how do you come to think about? what are these new revelations from arizona contributed i think about that? >> thank you be with you. happy anniversary, i guess we would say. this is just a crazy moment in american history. we've gone through a storming of the capital. we've gone through an attempt to overturn the results of an election led by the president,
12:24 am
and yet we have one political party that is not only in denial but there's also in a position that in order to show fidelity to the parties leader, donald trump, you have to mimic the lie that the election was stolen and you have to push legislation and other rules that are going to make it easier to mess with votes next time. i'm really concerned. and it's really hard to explain. this is different from the concerns about gerrymandering that we talk about all the time. this is worse than voter suppression. where states pass laws that they can't give voters water. this is really about something so basic to a democracy that the vote is going to be fairly counted. you put together what happened in arizona with what happened in georgia, with also you didn't mention it now but i know you coveted before, the pressure on legislative leaders in michigan and wisconsin to call their legislatures into
12:25 am
session and overturn the move the people there. this was an attempt to overturn the election, and the concern, is what if this was a rehearsal for 2024? i can't overstate how concerned i am about our democracy at this moment. >> there's a lot of implications. one i guess the -- problem to me is that when you think about legislative fixes, the political problem is prior to the legislative fix which is to say, if one half of the two parties has a leader who's committed to attempting this again, it's going to be hard to build consensus for technical fixes that will make it harder for this to happen, to see what i'm saying? >> right. the key here is there are a number of senate republicans, some of whom are going to be
12:26 am
gone because they're retiring after the next election, who care about things like can we have paper ballots requiring every federal elections do have a piece of paper to be counted by a independent body. our bergen affix the process for how we count the votes? are you going to have rules about chain of custody, about how states have to handle ballots? i think there is a moment here. put aside hr one, put aside all of the concerns about voter suppression's, these are so important. but i think that you could potentially get to 60 votes on the question, in the senate, which you would need to get any legislation through on the question of election subversion. can we make sure that the winner of the election is actually declared the winner. if we cannot consensus about that, what kind of democracy that we have right now?
12:27 am
>> you just mention something that is really technical but is actually one of the most important takeaways, the reason we are talking about january 6th, is because that is a specific day in the very -- process as to how people are counted. part of that isn't the constitution and part of that is in the electoral contact. that act, is it right that we are still riding around american presidential democracy in the 1870, post 1870 contact which has been demonstrated, in the past year to be a ticking time bomb? >> there are provisions of that act that i have read multiple times and i have no idea would be mean. i've been studying this stuff for a while. just imagine with that is like
12:28 am
in the hands of politicians who want to throw away an election, or judges who want to read it in a particular way. this is not a 24 century act. again, we can break it concerns about the electoral college, but if we're gonna have an electoral college we need to have rules that ensure that the candidate who wins gets those counted for that candidate. we are worried that that might not happen the next time around. >> rick hasen who has been an important voice, i want to come back to that at greater length. thank you for joining us. >> thank you. >> ahead. six months after january 6th, why do the majority of republican voters, the people out there in the country, still believe the election was stolen? still? why trump's big lies here to stay. next. stay next longer need? now
12:29 am
you can sell your policy, even a term policy, for an immediate cash payment. call coventry direct to learn more. we thought we had planned carefully for our retirement. but we quickly realized that we needed a way to supplement our income. our friends sold their policy to help pay for their medical bills and that got me thinking. maybe selling our policy could help with our retirement. i'm skeptical, so i did some research and called coventry direct. they explained life insurance is a valuable asset that can be sold. we learned that we can sell all of our policy or keep part of it with no future payments, who knew? we sold our policy. now we can relax and enjoy our retirement as we had planned. if you have one hundred thousand dollars or more of life insurance you may qualify to sell your policy. don't cancel or let your policy lapse without finding out what it's worth. visit conventrydirect.com to find out if you policy qualifies. or call the number on your screen. coventry direct, redefining insurance. it's time for sleep number's lowest prices of the season on the sleep number 360 smart bed. it's the most comfortable,
12:30 am
body-sensing, automatically-responding, energy-building, dually-adjustable, dad-powering, wellness-boosting, foot-warming, temperature-balancing, recovery-assisting, effortlessly life-changing proven quality night sleep we've ever made. and now, the new queen sleep number 360 c2 smart bed is only $899. only for a limited time. >> the problem america faces to learn more, go to sleepnumber.com.
12:31 am
12:32 am
12:33 am
right now summed up into numbers, the first numbers 32%, the number of americans who wrongly believe that joe biden is only in office because of voter fraud and that donald trump really is the president. you look at that number that is a significant minority because it is a minority, less than a third of people. in a dime are crusty, a 32% faction is not going to win a ton of elections, normally, but that brings us to the second number which is 62%, fully 63% of republicans and those republican-leaning believe the election was stolen. and that coalition controls half for more than half of the government from the state to congress to the senate. that's an issue here. there is a faction of americans who are wedded to an anti-democratic dilution and whose numbers can be leveraging to control the entire mechanism of the state if things break
12:34 am
the right way. this piece caught my eye. explaining why people still believe the big lie. david rothkopf and lilliana mason join me now. david, first lay out would your case is for why we will talk about the root cause or what is the root cause about the persistence of this belief? >> well the reality is that we are taught to not critically challenge core ideas from childhood. don't question your parents, don't question your teachers, don't question your church. don't question your school, take thinks on faith, whether it is a religious belief or a belief about the country or other elements of ideology and if you don't have critical thinking built into people
12:35 am
early then they become gullible. americans are fed lies in the cradle onward. hollywood sells lies, politicians lie. and we are sold big lies about the nature of the universe. we're sold big lies about the way society ought to work, and so the result is, by the time people get to election age they've been accepting lies all their lives. it's pointed out in liliana's book and i know you'll get to it, but these lies become interwoven with peoples identities. once it becomes part of your identity you can't admit you're wrong because you're denying who you actually are. >> so on the last point this is something that i struggle with and i'm not sure liliana, that
12:36 am
we have good measuring tools for this, but i sometimes wonder when you see a polling that says 32% believe that trump won, do they actually believe that or is that a way that they express some kind of part of their identity? are these even distinguishable? is there a way that you can test it to monitor i say shunned that, the disprove ability, would you come out with the same number. can you tease those two things apart? >> that is a big problem with act skiing these questions is because there is a thing with expressive responding were people just say the thing that they think makes their team look the best. some people are doing that. there have been studies that are trying to make people more worried about being correct, then getting their team to win. it's a little difficult to tell
12:37 am
with these numbers. on the other hand, there are definitely some people who are being sincere when they say this. it's a 32% of americans that are just line because they think it makes the republican party look great, there are real believers in there, i think those are the people that we need to worry about when we're talking about this sort of existential lie type of issue. >> how does your research help us think about the persistence of that belief? >> right. people will except information based on a variety of motivations and one of them is identity projection. they're protecting their group static's. they're protecting their groups, either sensing victory or loss. but as david was saying, there are all these other identities that are loop together with
12:38 am
partisanship including like race and religion. that means that when there is a loss, electrolytes, that implicates all these other crucial identities that people hold like their racial identity and it makes them not just feel like a loser in terms of their party but a loser in terms of their whole religious groups, for example. those make the loss is much more dire and threatening, people will look harder for information that makes it seem like they are still the winners even though the world is saying they're not. >> that is the irony here, david, what you just said when you talk about the lies that are sold, could've been verbatim something that i read on a qanon threat. what they are saying is that the establishment, the mainstream media, all these voices are lying to you and you sheep, are taking it. but in the end, even though we
12:39 am
all have the same cognitive by sees across the political spectrum, so much of this comes down to with the structures of trust are, if you're trusting the right people, the problem is if you're trusting donald trump, you're trusting the wrong people, that feels like the fundamental bedrock we hit. >> it is the fundamental bedrock we hit, what has changed? people have believed nonsense is the dawn of time? people have believed demagogue since the dawn of time. what's changes that we live in a world that i call echo systems, not ecosystems. people hear the same things over and over and they go from fox to qanon, to oan, to facebook and everybody they know is passing along articles that believe the same thing. it becomes possible to live in a world that is a little bit like a middle aged village it
12:40 am
in the middle ages where you never encounter anybody with a different idea. you never encounter anybody who challenges that idea. once you're there, that's how the dark ages happened, that's where we are, there are communities in this world that believe utter nonsense. you talk about a third of americans believing that trump won this election even though there is a pillar of evidence against that, about half that number, 17% believe in vampires. >> yeah. well, i don't know vampires are considered a belief or not. i would switch those numbers if i had the ability to. david rothkopf and lilliana mason. thank you so much for joining us. >> it's a pleasure. >> coming up. no one has benefited more from spreading lies and fox news. now they're looking to get into the weather business, fox weather is here, that's next. here, that's next he's the 76-year-old guy who still runs marathons, right?
12:41 am
sadly, not anymore. wow. so sudden. um, we're not about to have the "we need life insurance" conversation again, are we? no, we're having the "we're getting coverage so we don't have to worry about it" conversation. so you're calling about the $9.95 a month plan -from colonial penn? -i am. we put it off long enough. we are getting that $9.95 plan, today. (jonathan) is it time for you to call about the $9.95 plan? i'm jonathan from colonial penn life insurance company. sometimes we just need a reminder not to take today for granted. if you're age 50 to 85, you can get guaranteed acceptance whole life insurance starting at just $9.95 a month. there are no health questions so you can't be turned down for any health reason. the $9.95 plan is colonial penn's number one most popular whole life plan. options start at just $9.95 a month.
12:42 am
that's less than 35 cents a day. your rate can never go up. it's locked in for life. call today for free information. and you'll also get this free beneficiary planner, so call now. (soft music) ♪ hello, colonial penn?
12:43 am
12:44 am
♪♪ is that gouda shaped like a foot? or maybe you're just projecting your own insecurities? what? (sniffs feet) ohhhh yeah keep your feet fresh with gold bond foot powder. >> who's the absolute last
12:45 am
person who annie but he should trust on the weather channel? i would think anybody worse than rupert murdoch. but that is exactly what he plans to do, the fox weather channel. undoubtedly he will try to do what he has done to democracy, undermine it. it is not like it will be something new for them. >> if you want to make electric cars the choice for americans, you don't try to hit them with guilt and tying it to a climate crisis that does not exist. >> this alliance is between radical lists, they want us to undercut our economy. >> acting like the world is going to blow up in 12 years because we're emitting natural -- color farting somewhere.
12:46 am
>> greenhouse gas emissions, it's called the atmosphere. eliminating carbon pollution, carbon dioxide is not pollution. >> rupert murdoch and his media coco amara has been crucially important to climate denial across the entire english peeking world, three continents. after australia was devastated by wildfires in 2020, that country's prime minister called murdoch for his part in the disaster. >> the reality is, news quart and murdoch has done damage to western democracy and input take you look to the united states and australia, and in particular on the subject of global warming. the campaign on climate denial is just staggering and has done damage to the world's, to the
12:47 am
global need to address global warning. >> in fact murdoch's news corporation is among the largest companies in australia was part of another wave of misinformation. they found that online bots were exaggerating the fires, and they were making similar assertions making the most popular -- on the news website. it's really not a stretch to say rupert murdoch media empire stopped us from taking action on climate change sooner. continues to block us, and we're now dealing with the fall. the month of june has record setting heat, it was the hottest in boston, salt lake city utah, in california,. that does not even include the crazy temperatures we saw on the pacific northwest that reach over 100 degrees. and the hottest day in canada,
12:48 am
in a town that was burned to the ground just a day or so after, it was not just north america. meteorologists scared -- showing norwegian town far above the arctic circle, the highest temperature ever recorded at that latitude. one could only imagine how whether china all would approach the stories. how would they explain the insane heat in different states? would they create a new reality where the world is not getting harder? there is of course something comforting about that specific delusion, or world that is not getting hotter. that's not the world we live in. the world we live in is getting hotter. the world we live in is being ravaged by the heat. the heat will cause human misery. the misery is thanks in large part to rupert murdoch and his
12:49 am
life's work. he is 90 now so he will not see what he put into motion. i truly hope that none of us ever forget what he has done. orget what he has done do you have a life insurance policy you no longer need? now you can sell your policy, even a term policy, for an immediate cash payment. call coventry direct to learn more. we thought we had planned carefully for our retirement. but we quickly realized that we needed a way to supplement our income. our friends sold their policy to help pay for their medical bills and that got me thinking. maybe selling our policy could help
12:50 am
with our retirement. i'm skeptical, so i did some research and called coventry direct. they explained life insurance is a valuable asset that can be sold. we learned that we can sell all of our policy or keep part of it with no future payments, who knew? we sold our policy. now we can relax and enjoy our retirement as we had planned. if you have one hundred thousand dollars or more of life insurance you may qualify to sell your policy. don't cancel or let your policy lapse without finding out what it's worth. visit conventrydirect.com to find out if you policy qualifies. or call the number on your screen. coventry direct, redefining insurance.
12:51 am
why choose proven quality sleep from sleep number? because a quality night's sleep is scientifically proven to help boost performance. introducing the new sleep number 360 smart bed, the only bed that effortlessly adjusts to both of you. proven quality sleep is life-changing sleep. every day in business brings something new. so get the flexibility of the new mobile service designed for your small business. introducing comcast business mobile. you get the fastest, most reliable network with nationwide 5g included. and you can get unlimited data for just 30 dollars per line per month when you get four lines- or mix and match data options. available now for comcast business internet customers with no line-activation fees
12:52 am
or term contract required. see if you can save by switching today. >> sha'carri richardson the comcast business. powering possibilities.
12:53 am
u.s. women's track star is not going to tokyo olympics, that is official today. u.s. track and field announcing that she will not compete in the four by relay. richardson lit the track on the trial she won the hundred meter and tested for the use of marijuana, she was apologetic and suspended by the u.s. track and field association. but there is a possibility for competing in the olympic relay because that event competition was outside the window of her suspension. it was said today that the u.s. track and field, while we agree -- related to thc should be reevaluated, it would be detrimental to the integrity of
12:54 am
the institution if we amended the policies weeks before the olympic games. they are equally aware of and must dear to the anti doping code, and our credibility as the national governing body would be lost if rules were only enforced under certain circumstances. joining me now former nba player etan thomas. he has some very strong feelings about their's. i've been following the story and i think the mass opinion i saw is that this is insane, this woman is an incredible athlete, marijuana is legalized or decriminalized in tons of states. you can use it recreationally, these laws are outdated. but the final blow today, i just found myself feeling a visceral rage at the decision. how are you feeling? >> i feel disappointed. it's interesting. you said that you hear a lot of people saying how ridiculous this is, i hear a lot of the opposite, i hear people saying
12:55 am
the rules are the rules. she broke the rules. it's interesting because a lot of those saying people are the same people who have so much trouble following the health guidelines during a national pandemic, just wearing a mask, it's really interesting that happens. there is a lack of compassion that is happening right now. to understand what she was dealing with. people say you have to take her personal situation out of it, but i don't think you do. she just lost her mother. i mean, you can tell even during the race as she ran into the crowd and fell into her grandmother's arms, this type of situation should make you reevaluate if this rule should even be a rule in the first place. would she did, you know, before her trial, before her race in no way shape or fashion helped her win, run 10.6 time that she
12:56 am
ran. it was not a performance enhancer. it did an assist turn anyway. it has to be reevaluated. the situation -- hopefully the olympic committee will look at it and start to reevaluate their standards. >> it's a good point. this line stuck out to me in the track and field statement is when they call it the current anti doping coat. it's like ok, right, invoking that term and i understand that there is more banned substances, but when you use that term, she wasn't cheating, she was using a recreational drug that is no more dangerous, on the whole than alcohol, probably less dangerous, honestly, to cope with the awful grief of her mother's loss. that's a completely different category, it really rubbed me the wrong way to read that word in that context.
12:57 am
>> definitely. it doesn't apply to this situation. when you're looking at the different things that you could've done in this situation, and it raises a bigger topic, to be able to view athletes as humans. the fact is a lot of time, nobody cares. nobody cares what you're going through. nobody cares which are dealing with. if you're naomi osaka you are having depression and anxiety, no one cares, you're just supposed to play, that your job and that's what you're supposed to do. hopefully this is another situation where people can see that athletes are human, athletes deal with tragedy and still have to perform at a high level. that is one of the things that i was seeing all the comments on social media, a lot of the comments saying i have to tell you, that surprised me, a lot of people in the sports world, who were covering the subject, it really surprised me, they talked about athletes as if they were robots. they're not supposed to have
12:58 am
any feelings, none of your feelings matter. hopefully, this can allow people to see that there's something wrong with that type of mentality. >> i want to just quickly play, richardson was on the today show and she talked about this, and i found it very powerful, take a listen. as much as i'm disappointed, i know that i represent a community, that showed me great support, great love. and to y'all, i failed y'all, so i apologize. i need to know how to control my emotions. i just say don't judge me, because i am human, i'm you, i just happened to run a little faster. >> i like that line, i'm human. it also strikes me here that more broadly, whether it is u.s. track and field or the ioc, or whatever, as the status of marijuana changes in both the social and legal sense, all
12:59 am
these leagues and all these athletic bodies will have to update the rules. >> oh yeah. they have to. it's the contradiction, especially here in the states where you have opioids being passed out like candies in the nfl, and nobody had a problem with it. the nba as well. but then you'll have something that is proven to have medicinal purposes, like cannabis and it will be frowned upon. that goes into a bigger topic. as far as the way that it is criminalized and society. so many people right now, are in jail right now for a bag of weed. that's a reflection of a bigger problem in society. >> etan thomas, thank so much for joining us tonight. we appreciate it. >> thank you for happening. >> that is all in on tuesday now, the racial medal show starts right now. starts right now
1:00 am
the attorney general attended their roll call today to thank them for serving as players. also to thank them for what they did to save the u.s. capitol on january 6th. it was six months ago today that a donald trump rally on the ellipse morphed by trump supporters on the u.s. capitol. with d.c. police and u.s. capitol police officers on the front lines trying to defend it against that violent, violent attack.pot the attorney general today said thank you to the capitol police officers for what they went through six months ago today but he also importantly went up to m the capitol police roll call today to update officers on the state of the justice department's investigation into

59 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on