Skip to main content

tv   The Beat With Ari Melber  MSNBC  April 23, 2021 3:00pm-4:01pm PDT

3:00 pm
thank you so much for letting us into your homes during these truly extraordinary times. "the beat" starts right now. >> hi, nicole. have a wonderful weekend. and welcome to "the beat." i'm in for ari melber on a very busy news day. new signs the police reform is working, the pressure on mcconnell to act. we start with breaking news in the coronavirus fight. moments ago, a cdc panel recommended resuming the johnson & johnson vaccine. shots were paused were two weeks after 15 cases of blood clots reported from 6.8 million shots. officials say the vaccine now carry a warning about the rare
3:01 pm
risk of blood clots. the cdc director now has to sign you have. i just interviewed dr. fauci, and here is what he said. >> well, the j&j vaccine is clearly a highly efficacious vaccine. and i think the pause, which some people may have taken as a real condition, the pause should underscore how seriously we take safety because the risk of this is extremely low, very, very low risk of this adverse event. and the fact that the cdc and the fda originally paused this should underscore to everyone that we take safety very, very seriously. so when a vaccine is let out again to be able to be vaccinating people in this country, you can rest assure that that's a safe and efficacious vaccine. >> as officials work to combat
3:02 pm
vaccine hesitancy, gop senator ron johnson is undermining it. >> the science tells us that vaccines are 95% effective. so if you have a vaccine, quite honestly, what do you care if your neighbor hooz one or not? you got a vaccine and science is telling you it is very, very effective. why is there this big push to make sure everyone gets a vaccine. >> former president trump is on the record encouraging americans to get the shot and saying he is all in favor of the vaccine. and think about how far we've come in this covid fight. it was one year ago almost to the minute that president trump shocked the world with this comment. >> and then i see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. and is there a way we could do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs.
3:03 pm
>> yes. that happened one year ago today. a year later, over 90 million americans are fully vaccinated. 135 million have one dose. joining me now dr. natalie azar, rheumatologist, katy kay and former florida republican congressman. dr. azar, what is your reaction to this new johnson & johnson news? >> so here are what i would say my takeaways are for today. you could really tell this took six hours of deliberation that the guiding principal really here was harm reduction. and they really seemed to want to stick to science, think about implementation and equity. you know, it was never on the table, i think, that the vaccine was no longer going to be administered. rather, it was really about how do we communicate? how do we get the information out to providers as well as the population that we do think the
3:04 pm
benefits far outway this risk. you know, they have a list of potential outcomes. the one that they chose was number one, which is essentially that they are recommending, you know, that the vaccinations will be green lit, but with a very nuanced updated fda label. they're also really, really committed to having the cdc and the fda be able to communicate effectively to potential recipients about this potential risk. >> doctor, officials say we have enough vaccine with pfizer and moderna. i mean, we know there was hesitancy before. this has injected new hesitancy. how do you get people to take this j&j vaccine? >> you know, i think context is very important here. and, you know, one of the things that was done today was that they had -- they had a modeling system which essentially said, look, if you -- they tried to
3:05 pm
say let's stratsfy based on sex and based on gender. and, in fact, that cohort that the women under the age of 50 are the ones who are more at risk theoretically more at risk for something like that. but it's all about how we communicate that risk. and, so, you know, i think at the end of the day, what was accomplished today was that there was, you know, a really good microscopic look at the situation and, you know, the conclusion was that this is something that does and should be in the arsenal for the u.s. as well as for globally. let's not forget the entire world is affected by this. and i really have to also reinforce that there are significant communities in this country who need to benefit, need this vaccine who weren't getting vaccinated the last ten days. and that's all about this harm reduction that was really motivating their decision tonight. >> for what it is worth, i am a
3:06 pm
woman under 50. i received the johnson & johnson vaccine three weeks before the pause. knowing the risks now, i would do it all over again. katy kay, when but started talking about vaccine hesitancy, there was a lot of focus on the black community, the latino community. the polls show half of gop men will not get the vaccine. on top of that, you have senator johnson going on the radio sort of asking this question about why everyone needs to do it, what the rush is as though he's never heard of herd immunity. what does that tell you about the politics that are at play here? >> i mean, adam kinsing ger, the republican congressman from illinois has just tweeted about senator johnson's comments and he said it shows a desire to belong to a tribe over throws the desire to lead people to a better future. that's what this smacks of, senator johnson must know the value of encouraging people who
3:07 pm
support him, who vote for him, who listens to what he says to actually get the vaccine. and his suggestion that if you get the vaccine yourself, why do you care about whether your neighbor has got the vaccine, i mean, it's pretty callus, isn't it, to say well, you know, look after yourself but don't care about what's happening to other people. it doesn't sound very american to me. there is not much generosity in that statement. the vaccine hesitancy rates are rising amongst white republican men. there is little vaccine hesitancy at the moment between african-americans and latino dmunties. the problem there is equity in distribution centers. it is not an unwillingness to get the vaccine. but what ron johnson is saying is causing a problem that is already a problem. he's just exacerbating a problem among people that would support him. >> doctor, i want you to talk about what that means to doctors like yourself, to the medical community. i hear this question, what do i care about my neighbor?
3:08 pm
i think i have children who don't have access to the vaccine. for example, i worry about children who are not vaccinated. i worry about at risk members of the community who for whatever reason have not had access to the vaccine yet. how dangerous are those comments? >> gosh, not even from a medical perspective. they're really startlingly ignorant. with all that we now do know about the vaccine and about the disease and about disease transmission and the chain of transmission, you know, and the discussion about herd immunity, it is really shocking that somebody would still, you know, actually communicate that which is so not based in the science that we have been trying to, you know, teach for the last year or so. you know, in addition to the fact that the vaccines themselves are not 100% protective, we know that. although, the science is promising it is not definitive, that vaccine can prevent asymptomatic transmission.
3:09 pm
from every aspect or every angle you try to analyze that, there is just no reasoning in that comment. >> congressman, the doctor, i think they have laid out what is at stake here for us as a society, for us from a health perspective, so i do want to pivot to the politics of this. i mean, uch mitch mcconnell saying, go out there, get the vaccine understanding it is going to be the quickest way to open up the economy. what does it mean to have senator johnson out there delivering this dangerous message? >> what senator johnson is doing is carrying the legacy of donald trup. you mentioned just a few minutes ago, a year ago, donald trump -- [ inaudible ]. maybe giving donald trump the benefit of the doubt or maybe excusing some of his past
3:10 pm
behavior realized just how dangerous and reckless the former president was and realized that decisions weren't being made by health experts, that the president wasn't acting on the advice of health experts and doctors. he was just saying whatever he had heard last or maybe something he had heard on cable news network or looked up on the internet. to kudos to those republicans who are fighting back and saying, no, what ron johnson is saying today and what donald trump said a year ago is reckless and irresponsible because it could cost people their lives. and whatever any republicans have to criticize of the current administration, they cannot deny that when it comes to health care policy, experts are making the decisions. doctors are in charge. and that should be very reassuring to the american people. >> katy, i want to zoom out and talk about where we are now,
3:11 pm
where we were a year ago where you have former president trump out there making those remarks about injecting bleach. a year later we are getting to a point where large swaths of the population are vaccinated. go really big picture for me. what does that tell you about how far we have come in a year's time? >> i mean, we have all learn add huge amount just listening back to donald trump. it was crazy at the time. it sounds particularly crazy now. and it's been a miracle of science, the fact that we have vaccinated so many people, that we have a vaccine. is this effective so fast and that so many people are getting it it is a huge triumph. it is worth remembering there are countries around the world that are suffering enormously on the moment. i think there is an onus now on wealthy countries like the united kingdom, like the united
3:12 pm
states to ask ourselves why are we sitting on tens of millions of vaccines as the u.s. is when a country like india is on its knees, i mean crippled as we are talking and desperate for supplies and oxygen. it is great what the u.s. has done. it is great that we have got as far as we have. we have to think globally. we have to think about the equity of distribution, not just for those countries because we're not going to be able to move around the world until we do. trade, business, the global economy will be impacted until we can all move more freely. that depends on getting vaccines to those countries, too. >> if this pandemic has taught us anything, it has taught us what it means to live in that global economy. here is what dr. fauci just told me about covid variants. >> i think there is this misperception that because you are young, there is no chance of getting a serious income. that's not the case, particularly with the variant that's dominant now, the 1.1.7.
3:13 pm
the vaccines works very well against that variant. but in the unvaccinated situation, that variant can spread very rapidly and also infect young people more so than the previous strain of the virus that was circulating. >> i want to get your response to what dr. fauci just said there, especially around this idea, this possibility of it become a young person's virus. >> certainly as the older population becomes fully vaccinated, we are going to see infection in younger individuals. and number one, with the variants, we know that they're more contagious and some of them do appear to be more virulent, meaning that they cause more severe disease and that we are seeing is happening in younger individuals. but let me tell you what i'm seeing in our practices. and that is young, completely healthy people who have
3:14 pm
developed long covid whose lives have been completely upended. it is a conversation that is absolutely happening, but needs to happen more and more. there was a time when i, myself, pivoted, when i became much less concerned about having a bad, you know, fatale outcome from covid to saying, my god, i do not want to get this disease. i can't wait until i can get vaccinated. you hear a new narratives of these young, otherwise completely healthy people who are no longer able to work and who really can't see a light at the end of the tunnel just yet. and that should inspire every single person under the age of 50 to run to get vaccinated. >> especially given how little we know about these long-term complications. that's the frustration that i have heard from every long hauler i have spoken with. thank you all. and this sunday, my full interview with dr. fauic.
3:15 pm
congressman raul ruiz will also join a special report sunday 7:00 p.m. eastern right here on msnbc. coming up in 30 seconds, what republicans got wrong about the biden-harris economy. a new push to let drivers literally run over blm protesters. plus, we'll break down the dog whistle language used to oppose d.c. state hood and give you a tail of politics and love. we're back in just 30 seconds. '. stay restless with the icon that does the same. the rx crafted by lexus. lease the 2021 rx 350 for $439 a month for 36 months. experience amazing at your lexus dealer. (burke) phone it in to farmers to switch and you could save an average of four hundred and sixty-seven dollars on your auto insurance. $439 a month for 36 months. (man) phone it in? way ahead of you. daddy's saving money. (burke) go ahead, phone it in. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪
3:16 pm
next week, joe biden will address congress for the first time. he is expected to lay out a sweeping, progressive economic agenda. the speech will come almost exactly 100 days after biden took office. amid a covid economy, the trump world predicted he would make worse. here's what team trump said leading up to the election. >> joe biden's economic plan, i think, would be catastrophic. >> joe biden's economy is depression, bare market. >> the only real threat to our economy is a joe biden presidency. >> do you want to go back to a stagnant economy which will make everybody worse off and lower living standards? >> "the washington post" reporting on republicans still
3:17 pm
waiting for the biden depression. instead today's quote, the rebounding economy is heading for its best year since 1984. with over 1.3 million jobs already added since the election. and that even by trump's preferred metric, the stock market, biden is outperforming his predecessor at this stage of his presidency. next week biden is expected to detail tax hikes on the wealthy, households with income over $400,000 intended to fund programs for child care, family leave, pre-k and poverty. polls show broad support for raising taxes on income above $400,000, 65% approval. that is the political dynamic as the next big economic fight takes shape. joining me now is the political director for the national domestic worker alliance, the national correspondent for "the washington post." phillip, i want to start with you. pull back the curtain for us. what is your reporting telling you about how the biden administration came to the basic contours of this proposal?
3:18 pm
>> well, if you think about what the biden administration or i should say the biden campaign was saying last year, there were the rough outlines of what we're seeing now. we heard on the campaign trail, for example, about this proposal to tax people who earn more than $400,000 a year. it was attacked by then president trump while he was opposing biden. but that was something he ran on. he ran on these proposals that he was going to target pandemic relief, which we saw a bill pass on that. as he has become president, he has taken these big swings at how he actually wants to approach these issues. he's incorporated a long of smaller details, smaller programs and smaller ideas underneath these large umbrellas of things like pandemic relief and infrastructure which really signal how he sees his ability to reshape the economy through congress. one of the things we expecting to hear next week is a more
3:19 pm
detailed and explicit sense of what a biden economy looks like. he obviously had good will from the voters. he's been able to pass at least the covid relief package. working on infrastructure. so there is momentum for him to reshape the economy as he said he was going to do last year. >> to fundamentally reshape the economy. just those talking points that we heard from republicans are probably going to get a second life in the wake of these proposals, and there will be a lot of emphasis and a lot of talk about the tax rates. let's talk instead about what all of that is paying for, fighting poverty, reducing child care costs. it will make pre-k and community college free to all and establish a national paid leave program. if there isn't momentum for all of this in the wake of the pandemic that highlighted the risks of poverty, the need for child care and national pay leave, i'm not sure what other set of circumstances could possibly create more momentum. so to me this feels like a make
3:20 pm
or break moment. >> i couldn't agree more. i mean, you know that there has been a record number of women who have come out of the economy during the pandemic and not only that but i would say there is also a record number of people who understand that paying for things like child care has to be a collective responsibility, that families alone cannot shoulder the burden of. so this is a hugely important moment not just for, you know, american families as the plan is called, but also for our economy more broadly. you have heard joe biden talking about wanting to be a racial justice president. and one of the ways that he's going to be able to do that is if he can pass this plan and make sure that not only the economy is reflecting our values but also actually putting money in people's pockets, making it more affordable to do basic things like care for your children, afford to go to college. i think that that's honestly more than just a family's plan. it really is the way that we re-make the modern economy.
3:21 pm
>> phillip, we have talked about what is in this plan. let's talk about what is not in there, including an up to $700 billion effort to expand health coverage or reduce government spending on prescription drugs. do you have a sense of why that was not in there, what the thinking was behind that? >> it's pretty obvious one of the things the administration wants to do is be careful about how it expands its political capital. we saw last week, for example, this eruption of frustration at the administration when it became known they were not going to raise the refugee camp. but of course a lot of democrats saw that as a moral issue, not a political issue. so there was a lot of blowback for the administration. it was very revealing because what the administration is doing is being specific about the way in which it advances its policies in a way it feels it can have the best chance of succeeding. this is a very experienced administration. we're used to four years of donald trump where everything
3:22 pm
was thrown at the wall. there wasn't this same sort of these are political actors who understand how to operate politically. that's not the case with biden's team. one of the things we're seeing is they are specifically trying to tailer who it is they're doing in a way to maximize success. the odds are extremely good. these are things which they are making these decisions based largely on politics with an eye towards maximizing the effect they can be. >> you have like ten jobs and one of them is focussed on immigration reform. so i saw you almost jump out of your chair when phillip mentioned the refugee camp. but look at the approval numbers from young people. 59% of college-age students approve of president biden's job performance overall. that's compared to 28% approval of president trump. those numbers are even more pronounced when you are talking about black and latino young people. who do those numbers tell you about where we are and where the
3:23 pm
biden administration needs to be focussing its efforts? >> i mean, young people are discerning voters. one thing we know about them is they care a lot about ideology. they care a lot about world standing. and they're responding, i think, so these really early bold swings that the biden administration has taken with immigration, around care, around fighting poverty. and now they are definitely going to be looking in this next space. was this just about the campaign honeymoon or is he going to be a truly progressive president. those high information discerning voters are going to be looking for him to keep his promises. i think the good example of the refugee camp is an example of him not keeping his promise. why did he face so much outrage? because it wasn't what he said he was going to do. when he sticks to his guns and does what he says he's going to do, he's going to pass immigration reform. he's going to, you know, make sure that the economy changes.
3:24 pm
he's going to make college affordable. he will work on climate change. that is when young people support him. when he gets a little crazy, a little afraid of the polls and backs away, that's when he will see his support go away as well. >> i want to ask you about the republican party because they are struggling tonight president biden on pretty much anything. has that been an opening for the president to get his agenda through congress? >> no. i mean flatly no. the problem in congress -- i mean, look at the covid relief bill, right? it was widely popular, included sending out $1,400 checks to millions of americans and republicans objected it to maintain their ability down the line in republican primaries to say they oppose the biden agenda. it is a very, very partisan congress. and the fact that there has been no republican who has so far stood up to say, yeah, i'll go along with you on that particular thing is indicative
3:25 pm
they're operating under the assumption they are not getting republicans to join them and that is a fair assumption. to the prior point about spending, there is an age divide in the party. the democrats are much more densely young and republicans are much more densely old. that also plays into whether or not you think it's worth spending money on things like schools and education and children. there is that divide, too, that i think is important. >> your disdain for the rhetorical question has been noted. always good to see you. coming up, inside president biden's speech to congress. and we know the republican tapped to respond. it has not always worked out. but first the movement for police reform and accountability is popular and it is working. wait until you see what republican governors are doing now. that's next. that's next. allergies don't have to be scary. spraying flonase daily stops
3:26 pm
your body from overreacting to allergens all season long. psst! psst! all good ♪ limu emu & doug ♪ liberty mutual customizes your car insurance so you only pay for what you need. thank you! hey, hey, no, no limu, no limu! only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ this is the planning effect. as carla thinks about retirement, she'll wonder, "what if i could retire sooner?" and so she'll get some advice from fidelity, and fidelity will help her explore some different scenarios, like saving more every month. ♪♪ and that has carla feeling so confident that she can enjoy her dream... right now. that's the planning effect, from fidelity. [tv announcer] come on down to our appliance superstore where we've got the best deals on refrigerators, microwaves, gas ranges and grills. and if you're looking for...
3:27 pm
during photosynthesis, plants convert solar energy into chemical energy, cleaning the oxygen we breathe. where we've got the best deals on refrigerators, microwaves, plants clean the air. when applied to stained textiles, plant-based surfactants like the ones in seventh generation detergent trap stains at the molecular level and flush them away. plant-based detergents clean your clothes. it's just science! just... science. seventh generation. powered by plants. tackles stains.
3:28 pm
which shows will you be getting into tonight? how about all of 'em. netflix. cuz xfinity gets you really into your shows. when someone burns for someone who does not feel the same. oh, daphne. let's switch. from live tv to sports on the go. felix at the finish! you can even watch your dvr from anywhere. okay, that's just showing off. you get all of this with x1. so go on, get really into your shows. you need a breath mint. xfinity. it's a way better way to watch.
3:29 pm
the pressure is mounting on mitch mcconnell to pass the george floyd justice in policing act. the country wants police accountability and reform. 60% say we should do more to scrutinize police misconduct. "the washington post" reporting the concerns reaching peak levels in the last 30 years. george floyd's killing sparked worldwide protest. this new george floyd bill is because of the work of activists. so republicans are trying to stop the movement by introducing
3:30 pm
81 anti-protest bills this year across 34 states, including florida where republican governor ron desantis enacted the strongest pro law enforcement measure in the country. but this isn't about rioting. it is about stopping a movement that is surging and popular. >> this is straight out of the jim crow textbook. >> it is a constitutionally unjust bill. >> almost a slap in the face. >> we want to make it loud and clear that this is not communist china. this is florida. >> you have just declared war on the first amendment in the state of florida. >> joining me now florida state senator and civil rights attorney, executive director of the advancement project. senator, what does the fact that the governor is choosing to prioritize this tell you about the priorities of republicans in your state? >> it just goes -- first of all,
3:31 pm
thank you for having me. it goes to show you where the priorities of florida are at. it is not on covid. the priorities of florida is not on us making sure that the lives of black men and boys are being killed at the hands of police officers is being protected. the governor found the need back in september now, january 6th, to bring the ideas that he wanted to make the toughest law in the country to make sure -- to make sure the protesting becomes criminalized. that's what he did. and that's what we are right now talking about when we look at the law that we're looking at today that is now the law of the land in the state of florida. it takes us back to the jim crow era. they tried to silence us with voting, with protesting. and the governor once again is trying to silence a group of people. and those individuals are black and brown, who look just like me. >> this new law can hold
3:32 pm
protesters until a first court appearance, makes it a felony to destroy or demolish historical memorials or flags. that would include things like confederate flags. what do these pieces of the law, senator, tell you about who this law is targeting. >> right. and that's the exact thing. when the government came out back in september to make it clear of this law that he was going to come out with, initially he had a law -- he had a provision in there for standing your ground if a business owner felt as if their business was being threatened. that law came out after january 6th. when that bill was filed, they said that it was to deal with insurrection. but not one time did the governor mention the insurrection when he had his press conference in florida last week. and just what you just made mention of, of what the law allows, it is protecting
3:33 pm
everyone but who should be protecting it. let's be clear about something. the reason why the black lives matter and the allies are out protesting is because of the silence that is happening within the state of florida right now. and if we continue, we continue to go down this road, this legislation is not going to stop individuals from going out to make our voices heard. it is going to make it more exemplified to go out and protest or to go out to demonstrate. because the governor continues to do this, because the governor refuses to do what is right for all the floridans, the 22 million people here within the state of florida, this legislation doesn't stop anything. as a matter of fact, it made sure that we go out to make it known we will not stand for the injustice in florida and in this country. >> judith, this isn't just happening in florida. bills are being passed across the country, in oklahoma, in
3:34 pm
iowa. their laws grant immunity to motorists who hit protesters. i think about the voter suppression law coming out of georgia. and even people who might consider themselves apolitical went through the list and said, you can't give someone a bottle of water? that doesn't make sense to me. people who may not be tuned in to this conversation hear they're making it legal for someone in their car to run over a protesters and they think, how can this be legal? >> you did a great job of connecting the dots between what is happening on voter suppression and what is happening on the suppression of the first amendment rights of people. and we have to connect it because what we know is that black people turned out in record numbers at the polls. black people and people of color and young people took to the streets last year and the
3:35 pm
outcome of that election is what they want to stop. and they want to kill this movement because they know this multiracial movement that is coming together is going to get rid of them. and, so, they don't care. they would rather throw the first amendment out. they would rather have people hit by cars in the street than make sure that people have the right to protest and to hold them accountable. >> so judith, again, i would ask you who this is meant to intimidate. but the answer is a minnesota bill would prohibit those convicted of unlawful protesting from, get this, receiving student loans, unemployment benefits or housing assistance. so, yes, this is partly about race and ethnicity. it is also partly about socioeconomics. how do you protect those communities? how do you engage those communities so they can begin to push back? >> well, i mean, first of all,
3:36 pm
there will be a lot of lawsuits on this stuff, right? we have seen the lawsuits around voter suppression. we will see lawsuits around the first amendment. we should expect the libertarians who are like unsuspecting friends but who love the first amendment coming out on this because this is what it is, an attack on democracy. so we all have to come together on this. we know what we're up against is very serious. people could go to jail without bail because they saw bail funds put together, because they know we were able to organize and get people out when they were protesting. so we will be fighting back everywhere. we've got to fight back because this is about our democracy and making sure that our voices are heard in the voting booth and in the streets. >> senator, i asked you what this means for republicans in florida. but i want to take that even bigger picture. when you look at the voter suppression legislature we're seeing across the country, the
3:37 pm
anti-protest bills, what does it say about republicans nationally? >> they know they're losing. so you start moving the goal posts further and further away. we saw record numbers of voters come out in the state of florida in the last election. and because of that, now you move the goal post further and further. it is no different than the jim crow era in which we have seen this before to where when black folks are voting, you move the goal posts. you put more rules in place. that is what's happening right now in the state of florida and across the country. when you lose, you change the rules. >> thank you both so much. ahead, why democrats are calling out republican senator tom cotton, accusing him of dog whistle language. later, news on the capitol riots and how a dating website led to an arrest. what you need? i mean it... uh-oh, sorry... oh... what? i'm an emu!
3:38 pm
no, buddy! only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty. ♪ [sfx: psst psst] allergies don't have to be scary. spraying flonase daily stops your body from overreacting to allergens all season long. psst! psst! all good new projects means new project managers. you need to hire. i need indeed. indeed you do. the moment you sponsor a job on indeed you get a short list of quality candidates
3:39 pm
from our resume database. claim your seventy five dollar credit, when you post your first job at indeed.com/home. ♪ it's grilled cheese time. ♪ ♪ yeah, it's time for grilled cheese. ♪ ♪ after we make grilled cheese, ♪ ♪ then we're eating grilled cheese. ♪ ♪ because it's time. ♪ ♪ yeah. ♪ ♪ time for grilled cheese. ♪ stay restless with the icon that does the same. the rx crafted by lexus. get 0.9% apr financing on the 2021 rx 350 experience amazing at your lexus dealer.
3:40 pm
3:41 pm
i have had enough of my colleague's racist insinuation that somehow the people of washington, d.c. are incapable of unworthy of democracy. >> my life as a third generation washington resident has marched toward this milestone mindful that my own family has never known equality. >> it all sets up a fight in the senate to make washington, d.c. the 51st state. not a single house republican voted for it. >> d.c. would be the only state, the only state without an airport, without a car dealership, without a capitol city, without a landfill. >> d.c. wouldn't qualify as a singular congressional district. here they are they want the power and authority of being an entire state in the united states. >> those are not requirements
3:42 pm
for state hood. although d.c. does have car dealerships and a landfill and three nearby airports. some others are making this argument. >> look at this ridiculous map. look at it. look at it. it's got 90 sides. yes, wyoming is smaller than washington by population, but it has three times as many workers in mining, logging and construction. wyoming is a well rounded working class state. >> democratic congressman jones with this reply. >> one senate republican said that d.c. wouldn't be a, quote, well rounded working class state. i had no idea there was so many syllables in the word white. >> wyoming as a factual population of under 600,000. it is 1.3% black.
3:43 pm
d.c. has a population of just under 700,000. it is 46% black. it is not a state. one person confident the senate will pass the bill is d.c.'s only at large delegate in congress. she says, quote, i think we are well on our way to statehood. we will talk to the congressman right after this break. to the right after this break proof of less joint pain and clearer skin. proof that i can fight psoriatic arthritis... ...with humira. humira targets and blocks a specific source of inflammation that contributes to both joint and skin symptoms. it's proven to help relieve pain, stop further irreversible joint damage and clear skin in many adults. humira can lower your ability to fight infections. serious and sometimes fatal infections, including tuberculosis, and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common
3:44 pm
and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. ask your rheumatologist about humira. go to humira.com to see proof in action. if you can't afford your medicine, abbvie may be able to help. ♪ ♪i've got the brains you've got the looks♪ ♪let's make lots of money♪ ♪you've got the brawn♪ ♪i've got the brains♪ ♪let's make lots of♪ ♪uh uh uh♪ ♪oohhh there's a lot of opportunities♪ with allstate, drivers who switched saved over $700. saving is easy when you're in good hands. allstate click or call to switch today. [sizzling] i may not be able to tell time, but i know what time it is. [whispering] it's grilled cheese o'clock.
3:45 pm
keeping your oysters business growing but i has you swamped.t is. you need to hire. i need indeed indeed you do. the moment you sponsor a job on indeed you get a shortlist of quality candidates from a resume data base claim your seventy-five-dollar credit when you post your first job at indeed.com/promo struggling to manage my type 2 diabetes was knocking me out of my zone, but lowering my a1c with once-weekly ozempic® helped me get back in it. ♪ oh, oh, oh, ozempic® ♪ my zone? lowering my a1c and losing some weight. now, back to the show. ozempic® is proven to lower a1c. most people who took ozempic® reached an a1c under 7 and maintained it. and you may lose weight. adults lost on average up to 12 pounds. ozempic® isn't for people with type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. don't share needles or pens, or reuse needles. don't take ozempic® if you or your family ever had medullary thyroid cancer, or have multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2,
3:46 pm
or if allergic to it. stop ozempic® and get medical help right away if you get a lump or swelling in your neck, severe stomach pain, or an allergic reaction. serious side effects may include pancreatitis. tell your provider about vision problems or changes. taking ozempic® with a sulfonylurea or insulin may increase low blood sugar risk. side effects like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea may lead to dehydration, which may worsen kidney problems. once-weekly ozempic® helped me get in my type 2 diabetes zone. ask your health care provider how it can help you get in yours. ♪ oh, oh, oh, ozempic® ♪♪ you may pay as little as $25 for a 3-month prescription. stay restless with the icon that does the same. the rx crafted by lexus. get 0.9% apr financing on the 2021 rx 350 experience amazing at your lexus dealer.
3:47 pm
we are back with congresswoman eleanor holmes norton, fresh off the historic
3:48 pm
house vote to make d.c. a state and give her constituents representation. congresswoman, why are you so confident that the senate will pass this? >> well, i'm confident that the senate will pass the bill eventually and maybe even soon because of the fight the senate was in this year to get rid of the filibuster. the reason democrats won back the senate in the first place is because republicans filibustered everyone. so the first thing the democrats did was to hold off getting organized to try to get rid of the filibuster. they didn't quite make it. but it shows the determination if you want to get anything done to get rid of that filibuster, if it goes for everything else, it will go for statehood, too. >> several democrats like joe manchin, are not supporting d.c.'s statehood yet. what is your message to them? >> i think we move them.
3:49 pm
he's not the only one. there are a few democrats. we have more than 90% of the democrats. as we move toward statehood, i expect that he will have them or most of them. and this is what i really expect because president biden is doing so well i expect to get even more democratic senators next term. >> well, i want you to listen to what republican senator tom cotton months before the capitol riots argued that d.c. statehood would leave the capital vulnerable. >> the founders made washington, d.c. independent so they will never again be at the mercy of a mob. the wisdom was on display days ago when violent riots erupted by the white house. one can only imagine how much worse the destruction would have been if those federal officers hadn't been there. should we risk the safety of our capitol on such a gamble? >> wow. one can only imagine. so that was before the capitol
3:50 pm
riots. what would you say to senator cotton now? >> i would say to senator cotton, i would say to senator cotton that all we needed during the capitol riots was not even control over its own national guard. as it was, the district police saved the capitol because president trump held out, held back, the national guard because it's he, who started the insurrection, in the first place. >> so, you heard senator cotton's argument, sort of, earlier. then, there are other republicans, like senator romney, who support making d.c. a part of the state of maryland. your response to that? >> oh, i think you ought to ask maryland. the fact is that steny hoyer, the lead democrat in the house, except for the speaker. majority leader. is from maryland.
3:51 pm
supports statehood. so do the two senators from maryland. and every member of the house, maryland, supports d.c. statehood, except for lone-republican member. >> 2016, 78% of d.c. residents voted for statehood. 78%. 13% were against it. for people who have not lived in washington, d.c., because i think once you live in washington, d.c., much of this becomes very apparent. why is it so important for d.c. residents to see the district become a state? >> well, it's most important for d.c. residents, because they have only me in the house. i don't even have the final vote on the house floor. although, i do have votes in committees and, therefore, am able to get things done for the district. but what district residents need most from congress is two senators. when i pass a bill, and last year i was named the most
3:52 pm
effective house member for passing bills, i have to go to the senate and i don't have any senators. thank -- thankfully, i do have allies that help me get things done in the senate. we need our own senators to help me get things done in the senate. >> all right. congresswoman eleanor holmes norton, we are going to continue to follow this. thank you so much for your time tonight of. staying on politics. republicans have announced senator tim scott will give a response to president biden's speech to congress next week. this is, both, a reward and a risk. on a few rare occasions, young party stars have used this response to make a mark. >> a vision of america that says we can rebuild to a stronger economy. we can create better and more secure jobs. and we can really put this country back to work. >> our objective tonight is not to disagree with our president and his party. though, our differences are many. like all americans, we must celebrate any success that builds a better future.
3:53 pm
>> it should be no different in our nation's capital. we may come from different sides of the political aisle but our joint commitment to the ideals of this nation cannot be negotiable. >> for most politicians, this is a great chance of that moment turning into a meme. nancy pelosi and chuk schumer, went viral on twitter after they were likened to the famous painting. though, to be fair, it is hard to share a podium with someone, that's why people normally don't do that. michelle bachman gave the tea party response and left many wondering what, exactly, she was looking at. perhaps, most famous or infamous was marco rubio's water-bottle speech in 2013. >> the short time i have been here in washington, nothing has frustrated me more than false choices like the one the president laid out tonight. >> rubio got some comic treatment afterwards from "saturday night live." and my colleague, al sharpton.
3:54 pm
>> okay. okay. where was i? >> senator scott, what can i say? we will be watching. a january-6th rioter, a dating website, and an outcome you need to see. next. next we welcome change? we can make emergency medicine possible at 40,000 feet. instead of burning our past for power, we can harness the energy of the tiny electron. we can create new ways to connect. rethinking how we communicate to be more inclusive than ever. with app, cloud and anywhere workspace solutions, vmware helps companies navigate change. faster. vmware. welcome change.
3:55 pm
we made usaa insurance for members like martin. an air force veteran made of doing what's right, not what's easy. so when a hailstorm hit, usaa reached out before he could even inspect the damage. that's how you do it right. usaa insurance is made just the way martin's family needs it with hassle-free claims, he got paid before his neighbor even got started. because doing right by our members, that's what's right. usaa. what you're made of, we're made for. ♪ usaa ♪ [sfx: psst psst] we're made for. allergies don't have to be scary.
3:56 pm
spraying flonase daily stops your body from overreacting to allergens all season long. psst! psst! all good finding new routes to reach your customers and new ways for them to reach you is what business is all about it's what the united states postal service has always been about so as your business changes, we're changing with it with e-commerce that runs at the speed of now next day and two-day shipping nationwide same day shipping across town returns right from the doorstep and deliveries seven days a week it's a whole new world out there let's not keep it waiting keeping your oysters business growing has you swamped. you need to hire. i need indeed indeed you do. the moment you sponsor a job on indeed you get a shortlist of quality candidates from a resume data base claim your seventy-five-dollar credit when you post your first job at indeed.com/promo ♪ (ac/dc: back in black) ♪ ♪ ♪
3:57 pm
the bowls are back. applebee's irresist-a-bowls all just $8.99. this is rebecca from michigan. coming at you live from the operating room. i'm an er nurse. and i absolutely love what i do. i knew that i wanted to do something meaningful with my life. ♪ ♪ i was over half a million dollars in debt from medical school until i found sofi. now i'm able to live out my dream and know i won't spend the rest of my life paying off those student loans, thanks to sofi.
3:58 pm
♪ ♪ the lexus es, now available with all-wheel drive. this rain is bananas. lease the 2021 es 250 all-wheel drive for $339 a month for 39 months. experience amazing at your lexus dealer. finally, tonight, the
3:59 pm
justice department expanding its january-6th probe in what one prosecutor has already predicted will be the largest, most complex criminal probe in u.s. history. the doj saying it expects to charge more than 500 people for their role in the insurrection at the capitol. 440 people have, already, been charged. and that includes this man. robert chapman. he was turned in by a prospective-love interest on the dating app, bumble. the court filing, in this case, including their bumble messages back and forth. in which he brags, quote, i did storm the capitol. he adds, i made it all the way into statutory hall -- statuary hall. the would-be date writes back, we are not a match and alerted authorities the very same day. that does it for me. reminder, you can always catch me every weekend 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. eastern with "american
4:00 pm
voices." "the reidout" with joy reid is up next. good evening, everyone. we begin "the reidout" tonight with breaking news in the fight against the covid pandemic. after a federal panel recommended that the u.s. resume use of the one-shot johnson & johnson vaccine, the cdc, officially, lifted the pause, just minutes ago. that panel is also advising the company to add a warning label about the risk of blood clots, which have been, remind you, exceedingly rare. it comes after president biden surpassed his goal of vaccinating 200 million americans, reaching that milestone well before his 100th day in office, which comes next week. but today marks the anniversary of another moment in covid history. one that will, forever, define the former-president's legacy for generations to come. now, it is still hard to believe that this really happened, one year ago today.

61 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on