Skip to main content

tv   The Cross Connection With Tiffany Cross  MSNBC  April 3, 2021 7:00am-9:00am PDT

quote
7:00 am
including the attack on the capitol leaving the attacker and an officer dead. plus, the decide for the all-star game to be moved out of georgia due to the voter suppression bill. we begin with the trial that had the country riveted. the murder trial of derek chauvin in the death of george floyd. the heart-wrenching testimony has the nation re-living one of the most traumatic deaths of an unarmed black man caught on camera. sadly, there are so many to choose from, but this death started the largest movement in u.s. history. unfortunately, none of this is new. over the years, we've watched as black americans become subject to police violence while trying to exercise our right to vote, reaching for their wallet while standing outside their apartment building, or heading home after their bachelor party the night before their wedding, or playing in a park with a toy pellet gun,
7:01 am
or complying with a traffic stop, or simply sleeping at home after a long day of work as a first responder. there is an awful poetry to this that echoes even today. just listen to the sweeping range of testimony from this week, the first week of the chauvin trial, including from the teenager who recorded the infamous death -- or the infamous video of floyd's death. >> it's been nights i stayed up apologiing and -- and apologizing to george floyd for not doing more and not physically interacting in not saving his life. >> what was going through your mind during that time period? >> disbelief. guilt. >> why guilt? >> if i would have just not
7:02 am
tooken the -- >> do you need a minute? >> oh, my god. >> it's not just the range of emotion, it's the range of generations that you saw there that begs the question, what does the next chapter look like? one conviction certainly will not right all the past wrongs, but it will certainly help turn the page on an ugly history. joining me now is alexa hogue, a former federal defender and civil rights attorney. jassy ross, attorney and former
7:03 am
public defender. and jeremiah ellison, minneapolis city council member. he is also the son of minnesota attorney general keith ellison, who is leading the prosecution of derek chauvin. thanks so much, guys, for joining us. jeremiah, i want to start with you. the store where george floyd was killed has become a memorial of sorts. i'm just curious, as we watch this gut-wrenching testimony, what the mood is like in the community on ground there. i think -- so sorry, jeremiah. we hear you now. >> my apologies. i represent the north side of the city, which is, you know, sort of the opposite side of the city of where george floyd was killed. i've gotten the chance to get to know the organizers over at george floyd square. i know that they are desperately wanting justice, and i know folks all over the city, especially where i live, also want to see justice in this
7:04 am
case. to your point, i think that if we just view justice narrowly, as what happened here in the criminal trial, you know, what happens on the civil side, that that's really going to do a disservice. real justice is going to come, and i think people know this, through much more organizing and some much-needed more rooted change. >> i want to come back to you on that. before i do, i want to turn to you, alealexis. honestly, a layperson like me looking at the trial, looking at the testimony, looking at the evidence, it seems like an open and shut case. but i know they don't need to convince 12 jurors. they only need to convince one. what do you make of the prosecution's case this week? >> exactly. thank you. i'm so glad councilman ellison framed it in that way. this is a long road to justice. as black people in this country, we have grown accustom to the fact that the legal system often falls short of justice. and so i cannot say that this is a slam dunk case. we have cases where there has
7:05 am
been video testimony, video evidence, and i'm speaking about rodney king and walter scott, and justice fell short there. what i can say is that there is something markedly different about the way the state is prosecuting this case. for the first time, we are seeing the blue wall of silence crumble. police officers are testifying against their own. >> i think that's a really good point that alexis makes, jassy. police officers are testifying against their own. although, i have to say, i'm cautiously optimistic. every few years, we'll give you the blood sacrifice, then we go back to the status quo. what do you make of the prosecution this week, jassy? >> first of all, regarding justice, because, you know, both of the other panelists brought that up and make astute, brilliant points. i want to point out there can be no justice in this case.
7:06 am
there is nothing that is going to bring mr. floyd back. the best we can do is the next best thing to justice, which is trying to make systemic change. i'm actually cynical about the state's position of throwing mr. chauvin under the bus because it separates him from the larger system. i think that's dangerous when we start to ask questions that's focused on an individual officer and the actions of an individual officer. we absolutely must ask those questions. we absolutely must pursue that officer with zeal, but it is important that the entire system, the entire police department be the focus of, well, was this procedure approved? if it was so approved, why was it approved? because incidents like this are going to happen if that particular procedure was approved. >> i think you make a good point. that'll bring me back to you, jeremiah. look, i know that the
7:07 am
minneapolis city council reduced police funding here. however, the police force used against black people is seven times higher than the rate of white people. even the police chief has, you know, raised this issue with the police department, saying that theypetuate systems of racism. you're on the city council. how do you address this? i feel the police department and what's happening there is a microcosm for what's happened in this country forever. >> absolutely. i mean, when you look at, you know, people ask about the mood of minneapolis and, you know, i always want to make a point of saying, you know, the mood of the people here in minneapolis is probably not all that different than the mood of the folks, you know, living in new york when eric garner didn't get justice. the mood of the folks living in chicago when jason van dyke was on trial. so we live where -- in a state where this is the legacy not
7:08 am
just here in minneapolis, but all across the country. i think in the city of minneapolis, we're having a really hard conversation about how we want to go about keeping our neighbors safe, how we want to go about keeping each other safe into the future. i think the conclusion a lot of folks are coming to is police can't be the whole of that. in the past, they have been. you know, we're looking at the money taken out of the police the last year. we used it to make improvements to the office of violence prevention, which is a health strategy, a strategy out of the health department to reduce gun violence. we've put it into mental health, creating a mental health response that is independent of the police force. those investments, while $8 million is significant to put towards those investments, you know, they pale in comparison to still the budget of the police force. and so i think we're going to have to keep investing in those tools as we move forward into the future. >> good point. alexis, i want to come back to you on this because we should note that the defense has not
7:09 am
begun to put on their trial yet. i want you to take a listen to mr. floyd's girlfriend's testimony. i'll get your reaction on the other side. >> both floyd and i are a story -- it's a classic story of how many people get addicted to opioids. we both suffered from chronic pain. >> last i checked, white america developed deep sympathy for the opioid crisis. what do you anticipate from the defense using this as potentially a strategy to justify killing this man that was broadcast before the entire globe? >> yeah. what we see with the state's case in that instance is to get out in front of what they know the defense is going to be putting on. they have to show that derek chauvin's actions were not the sole or the substantial cause of george floyd's death. they're going to be pointing to
7:10 am
these external factors. their argument, what we know from the opening testimony, is that george floyd, according to the defense, died from a lethal combination of drug use, alleged narcotics use, a pre-existing heart condition, and then adrenaline during that moment. and so we know that's what the defense going to put on, so the state is softening this blow. they're also humanizing george floyd. we hear from his girlfriend that they prayed together. that was how they met. so this is critical testimony, and it helped shape the way the jury will then receive the information from the defense once their case starts. >> i want to turn to you because there is something about watching this. again, as layperson, i look at this, and i saw the video, of people standing around. as a layperson, i wonder, i'm witnessing a murder before me, if i'm standing there. legally, if i'm a bystander and i want to go and knock this police officer off mr. floyd and save this man's life, but
7:11 am
legally, i'm not allowed to do that. so what is the recourse? if you're standing there as a civilian watching a police officer murder someone, you outnumber him, what's the recourse? what are we supposed to do when witnessing something like this, stand back and watch this man die? we're mortal beings. we fear death. legally, is there something people can do when these incidents happen? >> you know, i'm glad you asked me that, and i'm also -- i was terrified of that question. i saw an impassioned interview with professor cornell, where he talked about a willingness to intervene. and as a defense attorney, i can't advise anybody to do something that's against the law. >> right. >> and that is something that's patently against the law, moreover, it's dangerous. they have the power of guns. and i hate to paint this as an
7:12 am
us versus them thing, but people know that's been what it has been his historically. don't physically intervene. i say that with all due respect to the professor. i understand where he is coming from, but it is a dangerous position. we might be looking at two dead people and not one. so, you know, that's an unfortunate truth, tiffany. i would like to say something more woke and more, you know -- but that's, honestly, a dangerous position. i think that those bystanders, as traumatizing as it was, did the right thing. it was just, unfortunately, something that happened and happens way too often to black and brown folks. >> i'm so happy you answered that for us, gyasi. so many people have been dm-ing me, texting me, asking that question. this is why the system itself is on the trial.
7:13 am
thank you to my melanated panel, as gyasi calls us. thank you for bringing some humanity and legal perspective to this. don't go anywhere. up next, if your eyes glaze over at the mention of infrastructure, i understand, but i promise you, president biden's economic plan could be a real game-changer for communities of color. you don't want to miss my take on this. i have a great guest to break it down when we come back. don't go anywhere. the bonds we build... should never be broken. ♪♪ because it's that strength that finds the courage to make something good, truly great. ♪♪ ♪♪ it's velveeta shells & cheese truly great. versus the other guys. ♪♪
7:14 am
clearly, velveeta melts creamier. before nexium 24hr, anna could only imagine a comfortable night's sleep without frequent heartburn waking her up. now, that dream... . ...is her reality. nexium 24hr stops acid before it starts, for all-day, all-night protection. can you imagine 24 hours without heartburn? we started with computers. we didn't stop at computers. we didn't stop at storage or cloud. we kept going.
7:15 am
working with our customers to enable the kind of technology that can guide an astronaut back to safety. and help make a hospital come to you, instead of you going to it. so when it comes to your business, you know we'll stop at nothing. see every delivery... so when it comes t every yikes..., and even every awwwwwwww...
7:16 am
wait, where was i? introducing self protection from xfinity. designed to put you in control. with real-time notifications and a week of uninterrupted recording. all powered by reliable, secure wifi from xfinity. gotta respect his determination. it's easy and affordable to get started. get self protection for $10 a month.
7:17 am
all right. let's talk infrastructure. it isn't the sexiest word, but i promise, it's not just bridges and tunnels. the country's infrastructure is actually something that has been used to perpetuate racial inequities. a great philosopher, jones, wrote, pay me back like you owe your rent. well, president biden is making an effort to do that in his new infrastructure plan. >> it's big, yes. it's bold, yes. and we can get it done. >> the bill includes money to replace all the lead water pipes in the country, to clean up environmental hazards that con contaminate black and hispanic neighborhoods, funding institutions, but the biggest thing is $400 billion for an in-home care. a profession that is
7:18 am
predominantly employed women of color. joining me is the co-founder and executive director of the national domestic workers alliance. so happy to have you on. you're tailor made to talk us through this perspective of the infrastructure bill. i do want to ask, because for folks watching at home, if you've ever had a sick relative, you know how challenging it is to find good home health care. honestly, this is something that casts a wide net of influence. what are the largest economic implications of president biden focusing on this in this bill? >> it's transformative. there will be millions of lives that will be touched and transformed by this plan. first, it's the home care workforce. it is overwhelmingly women, 82% women and 58% people of color. 28% black. 22% latin x. 8% api. it's workers who have always
7:19 am
worked incredibly hard and always been undervalued. the average annual income of a home care worker is $17,000 per year. so the people that we count on to care for us and our families have always struggled to take care of their own families. and, on top of that, it's the people with disabilities and elders, our elders, who have been waiting for services in the home and community that will allow them to live with a dignified quality of life and independence. then third, it's the women family caregivers who have been shouldering that work of care in this crisis and have been pushed out of the workforce in shocking numbers because of caregiving challenges. it is disproportionately women of color. this plan helps enable them to get back to work, too. it is transformative and profound. >> let me ask, because you also
7:20 am
serve on the super majority, as well, that focuses on women's issues. there have been 3 million women who have left the workforce. do we think that this plan creates a pathway for them to return? >> it does. because many of those workers are also working in the care economy, so absolutely yes. and it also helps to make sure that services are available for the people that they love. and so that helps make it possible for them to have the choice to go back into the workforce across industries. it's been mostly black and brown women who have been in low-wage jobs where they haven't been able to get access to the care and services they need. this will directly benefit them. >> all right. well, i think there's so much to cover in this bill. you've brought some very necessary perspective. it's going to be a lot to sell this to even republican voters,
7:21 am
to try to convince them to vote in their own interest. thank you, ai-jen poo. you have to come back when we have more time. don't go anywhere at home. up next, have you gotten your vaccination yet? right now, it is a race to get all americans that shot, as covid cases are starting to creep up again. we'll discuss that with two of your favorite doctors right here on "the cross connection." y thet milk and cream. that one! and the world's best, and possibly only, schmelier. philadelphia. schmear perfection.
7:22 am
did you know that your toughest cleaning problems can be caused by hard water metals? they lock in residues like a glue, on your hard surfaces and fabrics. try 9 elements. its vinegar powered deep clean dissolves hard water buildup and releases trapped residues and odors like detoxifying your clothes. made with never more than 9 ingredients. 9 elements - more than a clean, a cleanse. breyers is always so delicious... i can tell that they used your milk, matilda. great job! [moo] you're welcome. breyers natural vanilla is made with 100% grade a milk and cream and only sustainably farmed vanilla. better starts with breyers.
7:23 am
(burke) phone it in to 1-800-farmers to get policy perks, like a home and auto-bundle discount. milk and cream and only sustainably farmed vanilla. (man) i'm phoning it in and just saved twenty percent. (burke) get your policy perks by calling 1-800-farmers. go ahead, phone it in. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪
7:24 am
i got this mountain bike for only $11. dealdash.com, the fair and honest bidding site. an ipad worth $505, was sold for less than $24; a playstation 4 for less than $16; and a schultz 4k television for less than $2. i won these bluetooth headphones for $20. i got these three suitcases for less than $40. and shipping is always free. go to dealdash.com right now and see how much you can save. too many americans are acting as if this fight is over. it is not.
7:25 am
cases are going up again. the virus is spreading more rapidly in many places. deaths are going up in some states. so i ask, i plead with you, don't give back the progress we've all fought so hard to achieve. >> okay, in the words of sean carter, which is a public service announcement. covid is not a thing of the past. cases are spiking in several states like michigan, and now that nearly half of adults over 65 have been fully vaccinated, it's younger people, ages 25 to 49, who are showing up more in emergency rooms with covid. so a warning for all those spring breakers who just couldn't wait to risk it all to turn up, please be patient. because there is a light at the end of the tunnel. yesterday, the cdc announced nearly one-third of the country has received at least one dose of a vaccine, and fully
7:26 am
vaccinated people can now travel domestically with no need for covid testing, as long as they continue to mask up. here to tell us if the light at the end of the tunnel is hope or an oncoming train, a cardiologist, and also a public health physician. two of your favorite doctors. i want to toss to you for you to listen to this stark warning that the cdc director gave us about what we could be facing. i'll get your reaction on the other side. >> i'm going to reflect recurring feeling i have of impending doom. we have so much to look forward to. so much promise and potential of where we are, and so much reason for hope. right now, i'm scared. so i'm speaking today, not necessarily as your cdc direct or, but as a wife, a mother, a
7:27 am
doctor, to ask you to hold on a little while longer. >> doctor, i echo her sentiments as a human being. how do we convince people, slow your roll? are these cases spiking because we prioritized the older population, or is this attributed to social behaviors? what's your advice to people who are so pressed to turn up, they're willing to risk their own health? >> so good to be here, tiffany. i really appreciate dr. walensky's message because she did exactly what we need to do. we need to humanize and continue to exhibit vigilance. it is a host of factors that are contributing to what we're seeing now. in over 25 states, cases are moving in the wrong direction, meaning cases are rising. at our baseline, the last seven-day average was over 63,000 new cases. on the 1st, we were around 74,000 cases. it is a mixture of older americans being vaccinated and just fatigue in the social behavior. you saw what happened over
7:28 am
spring break. you see states that are relaxing restrictions, on-premise dining. states relaxing restrictions on universal masking. the virus is not over. it will not quit. we cannot quit. we need to continue to exert the pressure, keep our foot on the gas pedal, and totally beat this back. i still see on my twitter feed young folk, young black folks, who are losing their lives because of this pandemic. it's almost been a year since i lost my father's life, and i want to see this nation in a different position than what we were before. we have some powerful tools, but unless we continue to do those things which we know work, those tools won't have a chance to do what we know they can do. >> doctor, you have skin in the game. you've been personally impacted by this. i completely understand. dr. ashby, we're essentially asking people in red state, leap over the non-sensical folks who
7:29 am
don't believe in science, saying, party with us, like your boy republican governor ron desantis. when you have to leapfrog over a florida man to prioritize your health, what are people to do? it is spring break. it is easter weekend. people want to congregate. what is your medical advice to people who are eager to get together in person? >> so speaking of florida, where do we start? i mean, there's been a consistent pattern, not really caring about the public. his express interest has been with the corporate elite. everything he's done thus far has demonstrated that. i mean, in fact, this dude raised $2.7 million in february, and a lot of that came from campaign contributions to wealthy donors who were given access to the backseat early on in the pandemic. so what you saw during spring break was him saying, florida is open for business. nothing to see here. come on and get your party on.
7:30 am
but i want to tell people that that this virus is very real. i mean, i am still in the hospital. i am still taking care of patients who are dying, literally dying because they cannot breathe from the effects of the novel coronavirus. if you are listening to this, you have to understand that we have to take care of our communities. we have to take care of our families. this is not over yet. i mean, we're dealing with things like post acute covid-19 syndrome. you have a long-term consequence from the result of the virus. what we're seeing is that people have neurological issues. a lot of folks have depression. there's so many impacts that we're not even quantifying, that we need to understand that, you know, if you don't do your part, you're contributing to this. so i'm not going to, you know, sit here and lecture to folks, but we just need to take personal responsibility and
7:31 am
think about ourselves as one. i mean, we have our community. anything you do affects your neighbor, your family member, and so on and so forth. >> i think that's such a good point you've raised, dr. ashby. there is more than death to worry about. there's long covid that impacts people. so dr. pernell, like, basically, how long before we reach herd immunity? i think that's the question on everybody's mind. when can we get back to a sense of normalcy in this country? what do we as individuals need to do to expedite that process? >> there's been a lot of speculation around when we will reach what i like to call community immunity. whether or not that needs to be 70% of the population vaccinated, or as high as 80% or 85% of the population vaccinated. i do believe we're going to need to have children vaccinated to actually be a part of us achieving community immunity. when will that be? i can't give us a specific date, but i can say that if we can
7:32 am
hunker down through the month of april, continue to get more americans vaccinated, and especially to outpace those variants, then we will be in a more advantageous position by the time we reach summer. hopefully beginning to see children vaccinated perhaps as early as late summer and into the early fall. so if we do what we know we need to do, then we will be in a good, healthy position. we can't get there if we believe the worst is behind us. we can only get there if we're thinking about the whole and the collective. >> you raise a good point. i'll kick it back to you, dr. ashby. i got my first shot. i get my second this coming week of the vaccine. even folks who have been vaccinated, i kind of feel like there is not enough understanding. the cdc thursday walked back some comments they made, that dr. walensky made, suggesting that people vaccinated against covid-19 never become infected or transmit the virus to others.
7:33 am
tell us in very plain terms, if you're vaccinated, can you transmit the virus? what should your social behavior be as you engage other people? >> dr. walensky, you know, initially said that once you're vaccinated, you cannot get infected. in science, you can't speak in absolute terms. you have to have the day to prove that. the data thus far indicates that not only are you protected from getting sick, meaning that all of the trial of the eua-approved vaccine currently approved in the u.s., show that in those trials, there were zero hospitalizations and zero deaths. beyond that, there were pre-clinical trials using primates that showed they did clear the virus. meaning, they were virus free or had low levels of virus and were not as readily infectious. the trial data indicates that.
7:34 am
it is real. the uk and cdc released data that indicates once you're vaccinated, you are not only protected from the virus yourself, but your chance of spreading it are very low. however, again, this is just, you know, very limited data. we're knocking down the data point. so even if you're vaccinated, there is still a small chance that you could potentially be infectious. however, i do want to say once you're 14, 28 days out, you should be confident that you're protected and your chances of spreading the virus are relatively low. again, we can't say that in any absolute terms. >> yeah. good point. i am still masking up, even once i get my second vaccine. i'll still mask up just to be safe. i care about the person next to me and their safety. so thank you, guys. my favorite doctor duo. dr. ashby and dr. pernell. they make it make sense for it.
7:35 am
don't go anywhere at home. we may be a step closer to having a black woman on the supreme court. how do you have the supremes with no black woman? we'll tell you why coming up next. stay tuned. your favorite candy flavors twisted, chopped or layered into a dessert that's made to spoon. new colliders desserts. find them near the refrigerated pudding. [sfx: psst psst] find them near the allergies don't have to be scary. spraying flonase daily stops your body from overreacting to allergens all season long. psst! psst! all good ♪ you come and go ♪ ♪ karma-karma-karma- karma-karma chameleon ♪ ♪ you come and go ♪ ♪ you come and go-o-o ♪ ♪ loving would be easy if your colors were like my dreams ♪ ♪ red, gold -- ♪ [ tires screech ] [ crickets chirping ]
7:36 am
for those who were born to ride there's progressive. with 24/7 roadside assistance. ♪ karma-karma-karma-karma-karma chameleon... ♪
7:37 am
(vo) conventional thinking doesn't disrupt the status quo. which is why t-mobile for business uses unconventional thinking to help your business realize new possibilities. only one 5g partner offers unmatched network, support, and value-without any trade offs. when you buy this plant at walmart, they can buy more plants from metrolina greenhouses so abe and art can grow more plants. so they can hire vilma... and wendy... and me. so, more people can go to work. so, more days can start with kisses. when you buy this plant at walmart. ♪♪ i'm draymond green with my subway sub with tender steak and melty cheese. my sub is gonna dunk all over your sub. excuse me? my sub has bacon.
7:38 am
choose better be better and now save when you order in the app. subway eat fresh. but not jayson's sub. this week, president joe biden took a huge step toward keeping that campaign promise to nominate a black woman to the supreme court. he announced a diverse roster of 11 judicial nominees, including judge brown-jackson, nominated for the u.s. court of appeals seat for the d.c. circuit, left vacant by now attorney general merrick garland. cementing jackson's front-runner status for the supreme court. that's if a vacancy opens up. now, these picks starkly contrast the often unqualified and largely white male court appointments rammed through by the last guy, 45. unless you were looking for a ghost hunter or someone to learn on the job.
7:39 am
>> have any of you not tried a case to verdict in a courtroom? have you ever tried a jury trial? >> i have not. >> civil? >> no. >> criminal? >> no. >> bench? >> no. state or federal court? >> i have not. >> yeah, they don't have the range. joining me now is christopher king, chief counsel of demand justice. i am thrilled to have you here because you have vetted over 220 nominees during the obama administration. you know firsthand how all of this goes down. you're perfect to lead this conversation. i want you to take a listen to -- because a lot of people ask me this question, well, why didn't obama nominate more judges? take a listen to minority leader mitch mcconnell answering that question. >> i was shocked that the former
7:40 am
president obama left so many vacancies and didn't try to fill those positions. >> i'll tell you why. i was in charge of the -- of what we did the last two years of the obama administration. >> i give -- and i will give you full credit for that. by the way, take a bow. >> i mean, he sounds like a villain in a comic book, doing that evil laugh. look, you and i know that trump rammed through over 200 judges, largely unqualified. these are lifetime appointments. so how can, exactly, president biden overturn the courts if there are so many lifetime appointments from the last guy still in place? >> thanks so much for having me. i think this is an incredibly important conversation, and i think that president biden, his chief of staff, white house chief of staff, they understand courts are in crisis. they also understand that democrats, progressives, and independents are engaging around the courts like never before. so they're moving quickly,
7:41 am
having nominated these 11 judges earlier this week. more judges than we've seen out of a president at this point in their presidency in decades. it is also important to see what kinds of judges they're nominated. one of the important aspects is not just that the judges are qualified and idealogically partisan, but 75% of trump's judges were men. 85% for white. we have to increase the legitimacy of our courts by having courts that look like america. here, we have, as you showed, we have judges 9 out of the 11 for women, 9 out of 11 for people of color. this is changing the face of the judiciary. the most important piece of this, as well, is making sure we have judges that not only look like america, but have experience representing individual americans. here, i think, president biden has made clear that he is going to take what is a revolutionary approach in terms of emphasis on professional diversity. he asked democratic senators to
7:42 am
nominate, to recommend to him public defenders and civil rights lawyers, legal aid lawyers, labor lawyers, lawyers who have experience representing individuals. this is one of the reasons why our court system is so tilted toward the rich and powerful. it's because certainly the republican presidents, but even democratic presidents nominate prosecutors and corporate lawyers to the bench. we need a different approach. that's what we're going to see the next four years. >> i know you're really excited to have a lot of public defenders among these folks, as well. look, i think a lot of conversation, scotus sucks up all the oxygen in the room. the supreme court gets a lot of attention. the lower courts are important. i mean, the circuit courts are often the final say because not every case floats up to the supreme court. given that trump has populated the circuit courts, should we be having a better conversation around expanding the lower court, specifically the circuit courts? what does that look like?
7:43 am
>> absolutely. you know, throughout the history of our country, congress has routinely added seats to our lower courts. to the district and circuit courts. every decade or so, they'd add more seats because the population is rising. cases are rising. that stopped in 1990. we have not had any circuit court case added since 1990, and only a small handful of district seats. what congress has to do is dramatically expand our courts, all our courts, so people can get their day in court, so that they can have their cases heard, so there's a better administration. again, so president biden can install more judges who look like america and have experience representing america. >> so i'm out of time, but i want to ask you quickly, because as we look at this judiciary, there are so many reasons why black people, particularly all melanated people, perhaps, lost some trust in the judiciary. we've lost some trust in the criminal justice reform.
7:44 am
can jackson be confirmed to the supreme court should a vacancy open up? >> absolutely. she's already been confirmed by the fed twice. she has an impeccable record. she'd bring experience as a defender and vice chair. i think she'd be a fantastic supreme court justice. i think there are a lot of other black women who rightfully should be in this conversation, as well. i'm really excited to see what happens here. >> stay tuned. president biden bypassed a link with merrick garland last time around. thank you. you are the expert on this subject, so i love having you on. don't go anywhere at home. because how two leftover trumpists are delaying stimulus checks for millions. we will at least try to make it make sense next. don't go anywhere. nywhere.
7:45 am
♪ for decades, most bladder leak pads were similar. until always discreet changed that. by inventing a revolutionary pad, that's incredibly thin. because it protects differently. with two rapiddry layers that overlap, where you need it most. for strong protection, that's always discreet. it's time to question your protection. it's time for always discreet.
7:46 am
7:47 am
if you have postmenopausal osteoporosis and a high risk for fracture, now might not be the best time to ask yourself, 'are my bones strong?' life is full of make or break moments. that's why it's so important to help reduce your risk of fracture with prolia®. only prolia® is proven to help strengthen and protect bones from fracture with 1 shot every 6 months. do not take prolia® if you have low blood calcium, are pregnant, are allergic to it, or take xgeva®. serious allergic reactions like low blood pressure, trouble breathing, throat tightness,
7:48 am
face, lip or tongue swelling, rash, itching or hives have happened. tell your doctor about dental problems, as severe jaw bone problems may happen. or new or unusual pain in your hip, groin, or thigh, as unusual thigh bone fractures have occurred. speak to your doctor before stopping, skipping or delaying prolia®, as spine and other bone fractures have occurred. prolia® can cause serious side effects, like low blood calcium, serious infections, which could need hospitalization, skin problems, and severe bone, joint, or muscle pain. don't wait for a break, call your doctor today, and ask about prolia®. welcome back to "the cross connection." it's that time of the week again, where we make it make
7:49 am
sense. this week's awesome question is coming at you from boulder, colorado. >> hello. my name is kate myers. i live in boulder, colorado. i'm 68 years old. i receive social security, which i live on. i don't make enough money to file taxes. recently, i have read that two trump appointees in the social security administration are holding up checks for people like me. can you find out what's going on? >> kate, that's a great question because you are certainly not alone. nearly 30 million other people who depend on social security income have still not seen their stimulus checks from the american rescue plan. that's almost half of all social security recipients in the entire country, who are waiting for the government to send them their money. the reason for the delay is because the social security administration was taking its
7:50 am
sweet time sending the necessary information to the irs, and holding up your checks. now, it might not surprise you to hear that the ssa is run by two trump appointees. social security commissioner andrew saul and department commissioner andrew saul and deputy commissioner david black. saul and black will be in office until 2025, some democrats are calling for saul and black to get up, get gone. we reached out two congressmen. bill pascual is an o.g. who had been on your question for a while we sent his team and his sent his take on what's going on over at the ssa. >> hello there, kate, this is congressman bill passcrell. 30 million people have had their
7:51 am
stimulus checks held up. these are the people most vulnerable in the country. the irs sent out the checks, many of us squawked about this and said, buddy, get it going right away. these people got to get their checks. we hope that all of the checks will be out by next week. if not, they're going to hear from us. and i am prepared to ask for the resignation of the chairman of social security. this holdovers from the trump administration have closed and shut the government in many instances. i want you to know that i'm working on it every day. >> a big shoutout and thank you to you congressman pascrell breaking that down for us. social security commissioner saul denied about the checks. he told one news outlet was simply an issue of inadequate funding. and there's good use, kate, the social security administration
7:52 am
magically gave the irs payment files it needed. and stimulus deposits are projected by april 7th, but mail checks could take a little longer. the trump appointee running things over at the post office, though, that's a story for a different day. i know it's easier said than done, kate, please try and hold on. thank you for your question. you guys at home know the deal by now. if you have a burning question, record a 60-second or less video. include your name and video. share it on twitter with the #crossconnection or drop an email, cross correction msnbc.com and we'll try to at least make sense. on the other side of the break, my hot fire panel weighs in on the derek chauvin trial and the satanic panel. don't go anywhere.
7:53 am
because you can't be everyone's favorite ketchup without making a ketchup for everyone. don't settle for products that give you a sort of white smile. try new crest whitening emulsions without making a ketchup for 100% whiter teeth. its highly active peroxide droplets swipe on in seconds. better. faster. 100% whiter teeth. crestwhitesmile.com i'm morgan, and there's more to me than hiv. more love,... more adventure,... more community. but with my hiv treatment,...
7:54 am
there's not more medicines in my pill. i talked to my doctor... and switched to... fewer medicines with dovato. prescription dovato is for some adults who are starting hiv-1 treatment or replacing their current hiv-1 regimen. with... just 2 medicines... in 1 pill,... dovato is as effective as a 3-drug regimen... to help you reach and stay undetectable. research shows people who take hiv treatment as prescribed... and get to and stay undetectable... can no longer transmit hiv through sex. don't take dovato if you're allergic to any of its ingredients... or if you take dofetilide. hepatitis b can become harder to treat while taking dovato. do not stop dovato without talking to your doctor,... as your hepatitis b may worsen or become life-threatening. serious or life-threatening side effects can occur, including... allergic reactions, lactic acid buildup, and liver problems. if you have a rash and other symptoms of an allergic reaction,... stop taking dovato and get medical help right away. tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver problems, including hepatitis b or c,... or if you are, may be, or plan to be pregnant. your doctor may prescribe a different medicine...
7:55 am
than dovato if you plan to be pregnant or if pregnancy is confirmed during the first trimester. dovato may harm your unborn baby. use effective birth control... while taking dovato. most common side effects are headache, nausea,... diarrhea, trouble sleeping, tiredness, and anxiety. so much goes... into who i am. hiv medicine is one part of it. ask your doctor about dovato—i did.
7:56 am
♪♪ welcome back to "the cross connection." my panel is here to talk about some of the biggest stories of the week including the trial of derek chauvin and the allegations against matt gaetz. but first, three months after the january 6th insurrection, the nation mourns the loss of another capitol police officer. billy evans, an 18-year veteran
7:57 am
of the force was killed yesterday after a car rammed into a police barrier. investigators say the driver started lunging at two police officers with a knife. the suspect identified as 25-year-old noah green was shot and later died. joining me is vaughn hillyard. vaughn, the barbed wire is coming down and now we have this. how this is going to change security in the future? >> reporter: good morning, you can see, this is the scene behind me. it's closed this afternoon. this fencing is closed up typically an entrance for members of the congress. constitution avenue, the main thoroughfare remains open this morning. but at the same time, it's what does security look like here.
7:58 am
what you saw yesterday, apparently based on the information that we have at this time is this is another domestic attack. this individual is somebody who off of his facebook page prescribes to the teachings of the nation of islam, a group of the southern poverty loss center is deemed an extremist hate group. and when you're looking at that, he had posts related to louis farrakhan, the group's leader. that is where that conversation is. three months after the attack in which white supremacists, groups, militia members attacked this capitol building. lieutenant general russel honore spoke about what security measures could be implemented long term. he a couple weeks ago said more resources are needing for the capitol police force. recommending up to 800 additional personnel should be hired because of inaccurate resources, inadequate training, a lack of funding for this
7:59 am
organization that is here to protect the capitol, staff and members of the congress. and again, one of those points that you made in that very report, though, was better understanding the intelligence of the domestic threats that have hit here in 2021 in the u.s. capitol. tiffany. >> thank you so much, vaughn hillyard, i appreciate you pointing out the difference between white supremacists and folks with mental illness. thank you for doing that. now it's time for the panel to react to the stories that have had us glued to our seats all week. first up, the derek chauvin, a week of compelling and heart-wrenching testimony as the former police officer faces three separate murder charges on the death of george floyd. on friday, we heard from richard zimmerman, the department's longest serving officer who explained why everything that chauvin did that day was wrong. >> pulling him down to the ground face down and putting a knee on the neck for that amount
8:00 am
of time is just uncalled for. i saw no reason why the officers felt they were in danger, if that's what they felt. and that's they would have to feel to be able to use that kind of force. >> joining me now is my dear friend angela wry host of on one with angela wry row, row. host of roland martin. you're an attorney, angela, seems like an open and shut case. one of my favorite moments is donald williams, the mma fighter. control room, tell me if we have that sound, he had an amazing
8:01 am
sound bite when he was asked something of the police officers. i don't think we have him -- an attorney asked him, he said you would slap the you know what he said to the attorney, looked over to derek chauvin and said i meant it. a moment for me in the trial. tell us what your take is on the trial. >> on trial, it is not just whether or not derek chauvin on trial, whether or not police officers, in the minneapolis police department, 20% of the minneapolis residents are black. but 60% of the use of force incidents are involving black folks. so what really is on trial is whether or not black lives truly matter. and whether or not white police officers and perpetrators of these crimes will ever have to pay the cost of taking their lives. so, we're watching that with
8:02 am
that heaviness. the testimony against derek chauvin this week has certainly been compelling, whether we're talking about the longest serving police detective in the department saying that not only was it a violation of policy, but it was totally unnecessary. 9 minutes 29 seconds that we watched mistakenly throughout the summer saying 8 minutes and 46 seconds, watching the testimony of his girlfriend where all of a sudden george floyd and his drug use it on trial. this isn't about whether or not he was high or not. it is not about a counterfeit $20 bill or not. it is about whether or not a use of force was in alignment with whatever the alleged action that george floyd took. >> yeah, exactly. angela, i think you make a good point. roland, let me ask you, because, look, a lot of people are saying on twitter and social media, whiteness is on trial here. white supremacy is on trial
8:03 am
here. i'd like to say slow your roll, that's a longer trial that i'd like to be in myself. you've been covering this, what do you think this says to the country on law enforcement, systemic white supremacy that exists in law enforcement and its engagement with black communities all over this country? >> well, what folks watching this will understand the lack of protocol and how folks broke various rules. it was powerful to have the prosecution in the first week to put on two cops to in essence, contradict the actions of derek chauvin. you look at these cases, you typically don't see that, a homicide officer, a member of the blue, sitting on the stand, essentially saying to another one, you screwed up royally. that was critically important. what a lot of people are saying, extremely emotional, a lot of black people, it's been hard to listen to those witnesses, the
8:04 am
crying on the stand. to have this trial, it's important because they're listening to people walk through step-by-step and see the actions and see how the other officers stood around and no one intervened. to hear the emts to say they did not even choose to do check chest compressions. you see latinos, asian americans, individuals not impacted the way white folks have, are watching this saying, here there is something here that african americans are saying, now, let's have change when it comes to police in this country. >> yeah, i think you raise a point, roland. i want to bring in paula. punctuated by it, angela says we built this country for free. paula, i do want to point out
8:05 am
there are areas like new york, for example, certainly victims of police brutality, just like many folks in the black community. what was your take on this trial, paula? >> what i kept thinking about is mr. mcmillian's words, i feel helpless if. what i think it is every black person in this country was feeling which is there was this sense of him surrendering, within this white supremacist system, the death of george floyd. from the very beginning and treated as a criminal. and the other thing that really stood out to me is the way his girlfriend, miss ross had to push back against those very stereotypes used time and time to criminalize him as this angry black man as a drug addict.
8:06 am
she simply painted a picture of an ordinary black man with a lot of pain. every day, people at the borders, criminalized. in humans, we saw someone who was not a criminal, someone that instead is a victim that is criminal. that's something that we as latinos talk about every single day. >> the system, this puts on display the system in america that we've endured for incredibly long. i want to say again, donald williams spoke to my spirit when he looked at me in the eye and said, yes, i said it and yes, i meant it. somebody i'd like for look in the eye and say yes, i said it and meant it. is matt gaetz, the new investigation of this notorious trump lackey. the republican congressman from florida who is being investigated for violating sex trafficking laws. on friday, his longtime aide
8:07 am
luke ball resigned out of principle. and "the new york times" focuses on whether gaetz had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old and paid for her to travel with him. investigators are also looking into investigations that gaetz and an associate paid women for sex according to the "times" which reviewed texts and receipts from the encounter. i'm a fan of receipts. gaetz has not been charged with anything. he's denied all of the allegations and claims that they are the work of a mixed extortion plot against him. angela, one thing that struck me about this story is when he was on air, he described the 17-year-old as a woman. he said this 17-year-old woman. and i want you to take a listen to tucker carlson which i think matt gaetz was trying to get him roped up and involved in this, to the clip that he had on fox news. take a listen. >> actually, you and i went to dinner about two years ago. your wife was there. and i brought a friend of mine,
8:08 am
you'll remember her. and she was actually threatened by the fbi, told that if she wouldn't cop to the fact that i was in a pay for play scheme that she could be in trouble. >> i don't remember that person, honestly. >> that was tucker carlson in that moment. angela, what's your take on this entire fiasco? >> well, it's kind of poetic justice, if you have a situation, the day before resurrection sunday, tucker carlson is denied it. but i digress. so often, the elders will tell us when you point a finger at somebody there's three fingers pointing back at you. that is what i see with matt
8:09 am
gaetz, matt gaetz was one of the voices talking about tallahassee having the highest murder rate in florida, ridiculous, nonsensical things that he regularly says. targeting andrew in a very difficult time using language i wouldn't use against my worst enemy. and yet, here he is like with r. kelly, and trying to figure out a crazy twisted way to tie this all into an extortion plot from the fbi. and all i can say to you is you got three fingers pointed back at you, matt. and you really better hope that you find a good layer. and you probably should have listened to your director who would have advised you to stay your behind off of tucker carlson's program because he also put himself in more harm's
8:10 am
way. either he is a rich nasty hoe or he's a rich nasty predatory hoe. that's the truth on this saturday morning. >> all right. matt gaetz is a problem. the bigger thing, she brought up r. kelly. we have survived this 400-year nightmare by a lot of people that occupied that party. now that we're here with matt gaetz, which kind of creepy white guy party are they apart of? you remember, rob portman, the guy accused of beating his ex-wife. will the republican party stand by matt gaetz. row row break it down for us? >> well, my wife is an ordained
8:11 am
minister, she got paid because i'm bootleg. let's just go to church. where are you robert jeffries? where are you ralph reed? where are you franklin graham? where are you paula white? when are you white evangelicals who love talking morality and principles and family and values? how are you saying nothing? y'all running your mouth when the late congressman was accused of sexual harassment. you were running your mouth when senator al franken was accused of the same thing? now, all of a sudden, you're quiet. when matt was showing nude photos of women he allegedly slept with to other house members, where are you? see, this shows hypocrisy of the white evangelicals. this shows how foul in faith
8:12 am
they are. if keenan ivory wayen did a sequel, they said nothing and hadn't said a word mr. brett baird reported. oh, but you had matt gaetz on 20 times in the month of march. this shows you how fake and how much of a joke they are when it comes to family values. you are not the party of the family values. you are not the party of the working class. you are silent and quiet, that's why i will never again -- they can't say anything about any future democrat or anybody else because of their shameful behavior. they're fake christians. >> well, ro-ro, it's saturday, not sunday, but you took us to church anyway. but we're running out of time and i really want to talk about
8:13 am
and make a hard turn to lil nas x. everyone from fox news, the republican governors have expressed outrage about lil nas x video from montero. but his clap backs, like my personal favorite, i spent my entire teenage years hating myself because of the -- you know what i'm talked about, y'all preached what happened to me because i was gay. so, i hope you are mad, stay mad, feel the same anger that you teach us to have towards ourselves. i have to say the lil nas x video certainly achieves what he wanted. it caused a whole lot of conversation. but, paula, what do you make of this, some people are saying this is satan, it's double worship? but in some ways it's himself expressing himself as an artist, so what's your take? >> yeah, i'd just start by saying the outrage is completely in its place. it's not that he is somehow
8:14 am
failing christianity or the church. it's for decades christianity has failed people. how many times, myself, have we heard that i will go to hell because i love the way i love, right? >> right. >> how many times has he heard that time and time again? that is simply him reclaiming that heritage. that's one part. then the second thing we should always be celebrating anytime someone can unapologetically be whoever they want, right? there's not enough representation of black youth on any tvs or cell offense or music. this literally saves lives, right. coming out of the closet. loving inside of it, inside of closets. i am nothing but happy. i think we should let him do whatever the hell he wants. that's the gen-z generation that is unstoppable to create art for yourself, that's something that we should celebrate. >> some of these people know the
8:15 am
lyrics better than i do. when cardi b came up with the song whop, they knew it better than i did. why do they focus on this issue, rather than the actually the issue. what do you have to say about it? >> because the republican party is focused on the cultural touch points. they use that to drive the people out to the polls. the strongest base of the republican party are white conservative evangelicals. these are the very issues that get them ramped up. let me be clear, i don't even joke around with satan and the devil. you can keep them shoes, plus, i ain't never spending that much money for a damn pair of tennis shoes. but the bottom line here, this is all about ramping up their base. that's what it boils down to. for him, it's about marketing, it's about branding. so, those two things clash. that's all you have going on
8:16 am
here. they're going to keep talking about it, that's what they do, because they can't talk about policy. they don't want to talk about policy. they don't want to discuss the poor or anything along those lines. that's why. >> all right. this is the best panel we had all day. angela, you'll have to come back. we're so out of time. angela, paula, roland, we'll have to have this exact panel back a thousand times. i love your input. coming up the latest in the backlash of jim crow revival as major league baseball takes its all-star game elsewhere. stay tuned. where. stay tuned that can guide an astronaut back to safety. and help make a hospital come to you, instead of you going to it. so when it comes to your business, you know we'll stop at nothing.
8:17 am
life... doesn't stop for diabetes. be ready for every moment, with glucerna. it's the number one doctor recommended brand that is scientifically designed to help manage your blood sugar. live every moment. glucerna.
8:18 am
why choose proven quality sleep from sleep number? is scientifically designed to help manage your blood sugar. because a good night's rest is where muscles recover, and our minds are restored. introducing the new sleep number 360 smart bed. the only bed that effortlessly adjusts to both of you. proven quality sleep, is life-changing sleep. so you're a small business, or a big one. you were thriving, but then... oh. ah. okay. plan, pivot. how do you bounce back? you don't, you bounce forward, with serious and reliable internet. powered by the largest gig speed network in america. but is it secure? sure it's secure. and even if the power goes down, your connection doesn't. so how do i do this? you don't do this. we do this, together. bounce forward, with comcast business.
8:19 am
8:20 am
woe must also hold corporations accountable for their silence in this debate. we must demand they speak out against the 243 voter suppression bills across the country. we need congressmen to get off the fence and speak up in this coordinated attack on voting rights. >> so, one week after georgia governor brian kemp signed an unconscionable series of voter restrictions into law, companies are finally stepping up. on friday, major league baseball announce they had will pull the 2021 all-star game out of atlanta in protests. and followed by statements with delta and coca-cola, both based in georgia, citing their crystal clear opposition. but it's not just georgia, it's
8:21 am
ramping across the country in 361 bills in 37 states as of thursday according to the brenth center for justice. here to discuss, the host of the strange day post cad. i've been on that podcast. >> and the ceo of former strategies. and she works on voting rights. thanks for joining me today. i want to talk about this whole idea of boycotting. stacey abrams did say when you boycott, you do sometimes disenfranchise the black people and brown people who are going to be impacted by the lack of business there. so, if we're not boycotting, if we're not pulling everything out of georgia, what's the recourse to address these voter suppression irks. >> well, i must say i'm excited to have my debut with you here,
8:22 am
sis. it's great to be here. you know, we have a dire situation right now. and frederick douglass remindses that you the power exceeds nothing but the demand. we have to make a clear demand and we have to send a very strong signal that there will be consequences. so, it's important to hold corporations accountable. i think it's important. i think major league baseball made a necessary action in effect. and i think we have to call on corporations to speak up but to also take action. major league baseball took a necessary step in action as it saw fit to remove its all-star game from atlanta. i think the ncaa should strong consider removing georgia as a potential for the remake of what was lost in 2020. ultimately, we have to organize -- we have to put pressure and send a signal to these states, particularly these states that are still
8:23 am
considering such legislation that, should you move in this directioner there will be consequences in your state. >> it's interesting you brought up the ncaa, i'm going to have jamal hill on later on in the show. i want to ask you, in florida, they are pretty much copying the georgia bill and trying to institute this law that you can't give people food or water within 150 feet of polling sites. look, i think because georgia had this first, maybe florida has a way of saying how do you stop this before florida man ron desantis signs this into law. you're a political science, please tell us there's a way to stop this bill before it becomes enacted? >> well, there is a way. it's a little tougher, because as you talk about, tiffany, you know, florida is following the georgia route. that's not an accident. it's not a coincidence. i'm going to given you some good
8:24 am
news and bad news as it relates to the state of play around voter restrictions. let's start with the bad news because it's bad. this is not a drill, i've said this before as have others. your viewers need to understand what is happening here, and that is that the republican party has abandoned american democracy as we know it. this is a conscientious decision by the leadership of the party to say we cannot keep winning if we allow more people to vote. if we allow the franchise to have access to more folks, so, we have to limit as much as possible. the other consequence to that, the other bad news is, for the foreseeable future, we all need to understand, every major american election going forward is not going to be a choice between democrats and republicans. it's going to be a choice between authoritarianism and democracy. if we have that in hand, we can implement the good news.
8:25 am
there's more good news than bad news. first, what is it? you guys touched on it earlier. kudos to major league baseball and other corporations that are taking what has to be done which is a zero tolerance approach. anytime efforts like these to restrict the rights of voters and states that republicans lead there has to be a zero tolerance pushback. yes, with corporate boycotts. conscientiousness. the second thing that's good news, the polling is clear, tiffany, republican voters themselves do not want to restrict voting rights. republican leaders do. we are aware this is not popular even with republican voters, there's a way to provide that pushback. finally, the last piece of good news, this is very good news, for those watching that are saying what can i do? how can i push back? how can i stop this? the good news is, there's time. but you have to get ready now. if you live in a state with a republican governor or a republican legislature, they're going to try to take your voting
8:26 am
rights away. do what you can now. get your voter i.d.s in place. spread the word to those that you know are also registered to check every box now. because come 2022 and 2024, like stacey abrams has been warning us, they're going to do everything in their power to deny the franchise. we've got to start right now to restrict and push back against that. >> and that's really what this is about, right? the potential of stacey abrams being on the ballot to unseat brian kemp who, by the way, is holding a press conference on mlb's move to move the all-star game. he's having that press conference at noon today. even a statement from the atlanta braves was pretty trash and garbage. this is all very unfortunate. i say, the song that originated out of the protests, you're about to lose your job, brian kemp. that's what this is about. thank you both. you have to come back. i'm so happy you made a big debut today.
8:27 am
fernand, you're always welcome, you're always on with me. thank you for taking the time to join us. don't go anywhere at home because up next, how do we counter overpolicing? the city of baltimore may have figured it out. keep it locked here. can i have both? new dove care & protect body wash eliminates 99% of bacteria and moisturizes for hours two for one! can i keep it? new dove care & protect, zero compromise!
8:28 am
can i keep it? guy fieri! ya know, if you wanna make that sandwich the real deal, ya gotta focus on the bread layers.
8:29 am
king's hawaiian sliced bread makes everything better! ♪ (angelic choir) ♪ and here's mine!
8:30 am
8:31 am
♪♪ this week, marilyn mosley, the baltimore attorney decided to permanently stop prosecuting low-level offenses including drug possession, trespassing, minor drug offenses and other violations. the policy actually began a year ago as way to reduce the spread of covid behind bars. but what's the impact? moseby says violent crime in baltimore is down a whopping 20% which means you can still bring down serious crime without arresting people for low-level offenses like passing a fake $20
8:32 am
bill. so, i hope other cities are taking note in this progressive step in righting the many wrongs that we've seen grip communities of color when it comes to criminal justice. as we've watched the derek chauvin trial play out this week, it's offered a peek into the lives of those who live in overly police stationed communities. take ferguson, missouri, for instance, where the majority of the population is black. it was discovered police in ferguson were directed to generous revenue by using fines, fees and other various tactics by targeting black, working class people. and in a city where the median household income is barely $40,000 a year, a single missed, late, a partial payment of a fine, for a small violation could potentially mean jail sometime. in fact it did for at least one person. the doj cited a ferguson resident who was ticketed for parking her car illegally, that
8:33 am
single infraction ended up costing one woman more than $1,000 in fines. and six days in jail. according to researchers at the university of minnesota, the payments of outstanding fines and fees were pursued so aggressively that in 2013, they made up one-fifth of ferguson's entire revenue base. an 80% increase over just two years prior. black people were funding a system that was oppressing them and bleeding them dry. again, these predatory tactics are not unusual, nor are they specific to any city. municipalities across this country have been practicing them for decades. according to that same university of minnesota study, predatory tactics expanded dramatically during the great recession that began in 2007, when tax collections dropped due to the weak economy. so municipalities needed to find more sources of revenue.
8:34 am
and where did they come looking? to the pockets of poor black folks. the justice department noted that the 2012 to 2014, african americans accounted for 85% of vehicle stops in ferguson, 90% of citations and 93% of arrests made by officers, despite comprising only 67% of ferguson's population. but how did the doj even find out about all of this? ah, yes. this was all uncovered as the justice department was investigating the deadly shooting of michael brown at the hands of a white police officer. black people in distant and recent history have long had to die in spectacular fashion to pierce the whitewashed narratives of our lived experience in america. this type of systemic oppression not only cost us our lives, but also our livelihoods must be brought to a screeching halt.
8:35 am
a free people demand it. the new generation of activists spurred by george floyd's murder demand it. and though she was ultimately unsuccessful in convicting police officers in the death of another black man, marilyn mosby had this message for us all. >> as young people, our time is now. >> indeed, it is. we'll be right back. gillette proglide. five blades and a pivoting flexball designed to get virtually every hair on the first stroke. so you're ready for the day with a fresh face for a fresh start. for a limited time get a 5th cartridge free. (vo) conventional thinking doesn't disrupt the status quo. which is why t-mobile for business uses unconventional thinking to help your business realize new possibilities. only one 5g partner offers unmatched network, support, and value-without any trade offs.
8:36 am
8:37 am
how great is it that we get to tell everybody how liberty mutual customizes your car insurance so you only pay for what you need? i mean it... uh-oh, sorry...
8:38 am
oh... what? i'm an emu! no, buddy! only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty. ♪ new projects means new project managers. you need to hire. i need indeed. indeed you do. the moment you sponsor a job on indeed you get a short list of quality candidates from our resume database. claim your seventy five dollar credit, when you post your first job at indeed.com/home. the final four teams in the ncaa men's basketball tournament will tip off later tonight. and even though the tournament rakes in more than $800 million for the ncaa, these young players are only ballers on the court as current rules restrict them from pursuing any type of paper chase. but that could change, just this week, the supreme court heard a case challenging the ban on student athletes getting paid. and it didn't go so well for the ncaa.
8:39 am
>> colleges with powerhouse football and basketball programs are really exploiting the students that they recruit. they have programs that bring in billions of dollars. as justice thomas mentioned this money funds enormous salaries for coaches and others in huge athletic departments. but the athletes themselves have a pretty hard life. so, the argument is, they are recruited, they're used up and then they're cast aside without even a college degree. so, they say, how can this be defended in the name of amateurism? >> joining me now for this and all sports headlines of the week, bun of the west and brightest. staff writer jamal hill. you know i love talks sports. before we get into that ncaa, i have to kick this off, major league baseball pulled out of atlanta. i was happy to see it, then i
8:40 am
saw the trash garbage statement from the braves. i just thought, how dare you. i'm curious about your view on the situation? >> i always love to spend my saturday mornings, whether it be like this or watching from afar. excuse me if i'm flustered, i'm still trying to recover from the fact that dirty hill was head. >> from our friend angela. >> i hope people understand what a bold step is this for major league baseball to make. they were already under criticism, during the last year of racial reckoning. because this is the last organization to issue a statement about george floyd. it took them nine days to do that. they faced a lot of internal criticism from the players because they were last to respond. despite that, with the color barrier in 1947, to parade around him being such a great
8:41 am
human being and what he meant for racial equality they have generally not mixed in the racial waters. and voter suppression, it's very much targeted at black and brown voters. so for the braves to come out immediately, i mean, the ink on major league baseball decided to pull out the all-star game, wasn't even dry yet, and here they come putting out a statement that you describe so appropriately that was trash. and given their history in particular and especially with hank aaron being one of their most celebrated players. and knowing that one of his biggest reservations about coming to atlanta was segregation. was the racism and playing for this organization it was just is despicable. and a bad look on the braves, particularly since the miami marlins and other organizations have want to be part of history have since put out full statements on what major league
8:42 am
baseball has done. now, what we will see is or sports pulling out of georgia. >> yeah, despicable and disrespectful. sun from the alt, i remember going to the braves championship parade. i remember being at the parade. it sounded like brian kemp wrote that statement for them, to be honest. but a question people have asked me on twitter and dms about voter suppression is saying, look, if we want to stop this then have college athletes say i won't play for colleges and state where is there's voter suppression. have professional athletes say we won't come to states where voter suppression is enacted. is that a realistic solution? should we be laying the failure of democracy at these young people's feet? or applying pressure until we bring this racist policy to a stop? >> it's unfair to ask unpaid labor being the amateur athletes to kind of stop what is the natural transition into their college careers. and some of them, of course,
8:43 am
have pro aspirations. it's unfair to ask them to put that burden on them. even though we understand that we want it talk about a measure pressure point, yes, their decision to stop going to the university of georgia and others in the state. that would be to choose and nonetheless, there's strategic pressure. we have seen this blueprint for what major league baseball did already before. in 1991, the nfl announced it was removing the super bowl from arizona because arizona refused to back the dr. martin luther king jr. holiday. and we saw this when the nba pulled the game out of charlotte over the controversial bathroom deal. for 15 years, they did not play in south carolina over the confederate flag. i think the pressure points work because everybody you loves to have major events they love for the city to get the influx of cash and they love cool things
8:44 am
for their city. so losing a game, losing a major event is just enough pressure without making residents and citizens in those states completely suffer. people have to remember, the all-star game say reward. it is not a right. the braves play in cobb county, by the way, we don't want to talk about why they play in cobb county. nobody is ready. >> talk about it. exactly. exactly. >> so, they're losing one game. the braves still play there, all right. as doll the hawks. it's not like people are there missing sports. there's plenty of opportunities for people to make income, but it sends a specific message when you decide to pull events. and yes, we're looking at you, pga, because the masters is there. >> augusta, that's right. the same pressure on the masters a the mlb and nba. ncaa in front of scotus. i have to tell you congress is eyeing the ncaa so the influence is waning.
8:45 am
i just have a question, will the kids who are working hard and not get anything benefits, will they ever be compensated for their work as student athletes? >> i think the system son the verge of breaking. it was really interesting because clarence thomas, as you know, he is mr. hear no evil, see no evil. and he spoke. >> exactly. >> right. so for him to call out the sham and hypocrisy of amateurism and others as well. it's one of those things where people think they have a really great story and they start repeating it to other people, and they realize they sound stupid, that's the ncaa right now. they go in saying we have a really great story, about how we rake in billions of dollars and we don't pay the labor. don't you guys think that's funny? and the supreme court said, actually not, we think that's stupid as many others for years. i'm curious now, dealing with a conservative court, where there
8:46 am
are certain principles when it comes to the right to make money off of your profession that i think they believe in that the ncaa is going to be in for a rude awakening. as it is, the athletes themselves are creating more of this conversation. look at the conversation we're having right now about equity in the ncaa, all spurred by a female basketball player putting them on blast about the differences what the men and women were getting in terms of equipment. they are no longer content to stay silent as being unpaid tools of labor. the ncaa, if they were smart, they would get a handle on this before the system completely breaks it. once the court decisions start coming down. >> right. >> they will have no recourse and they will have lost everything. >> if they were smart. if is doing a lot of work in that sentence. i have to ask you this quick question. on black ownership in the nfl. there's a group that's come together, the african american sports entertainment group trying to buy a professional
8:47 am
team and bring it to oakland? i ask you before on instagram live, is this something that we could potentially see happen. >> i would love to see it happen. this is a very exclusive club, generally what happens is, long before the ownership opportunities come up, the majority stake opportunities, they already have a list of people they already want. >> right. >> i'm hoping with all of the conversations we have about race, equity and inequality, some of the people, having a majority african american ownership stake has become a higher priority for the nfl because maybe they realize that this is a terrible look. that this sport with 70% of nfl players being black, to not have any majority black ownership, having never had it is something they need to rectify. >> it's a new day. thank you, jemele, i love the sports conversations. us two sports experts just chopping it today.
8:48 am
>> right. >> i appreciate it, thinking you have to come back. don't go anywhere at home, coming up, if you're an intern are you getting tired of experience while going broke? an obama alum has that and she's next, stay tuned. ♪
8:49 am
the calming scent of lavender by downy infusions calm. laundry isn't done until it's done with downy. these are the people who work on the front lines. they need a network that's built right. that's why we created verizon frontline. the advanced network and technology for first responders. built on america's most reliable network. built for real interoperability. and built for 5g. it's america's #1 network in public safety. verizon frontline. built right for first responders. if you wanna be a winner then get a turkey footlong from subway®. that's oven roasted turkey. piled high with crisp veggies. on freshly baked bread! so, let's get out there and get those footlongs. now at subway®, buy one footlong in the app, and get one 50% off. subway®. eat fresh.
8:50 am
8:51 am
8:52 am
. most internships in the public sector don't pay and if you're interning in the nation's capital a 12-week summer can total $10,000 when you consider an apartment, professional clothing, transportation and food and money to have to go out if that is you have any time. given this nation's wealth gap many students believe if it don't make dollars it won't make sense. here to tell us how her scholarship is helping the next generation is my friend former obama social secretary desha guire. you're making mur debut today here today.
8:53 am
so happy to have you. i love that you created this scholarship and not you. you got together with other obama alumni, women in the administration to create this. >> definitely. it is so good to be here with you, tiffany. so proud of you always. >> thank you. >> so the black girl 44 scholarship started in 2019 with 55 women, black women that worked in the obama white house. i said we have to do something. we have to make sure that our girls know that we support them and not having finances should not be an obstacle. so we gave out six scholarships in 2019. took a year off in 2020 for the pandemic. came back this year with 103 donors across the entire obama administration. and we are giving out ten financial scholarships to black women doing scholarships in politics and public service anywhere in the country. >> that's so exciting! do you just take funds from
8:54 am
obama alumni or open it up? >> i didn't. that's too much drama, too many logistics. honestly you know when we share the mutual friends the obama network is solid. the black women that work there or have amazing and i asked one time and they gave. we wanted the show maybe we are not in the white house anymore we're still doing things to make sure that black women continue to be at the forefront, that we continue to seed the pipelines so that interns know, black women know at 19 and 20 this is where you belong and we only took funds really from the obama network. >> i love that. so i'm going to ask an invasive question. i'm a joernl u.s. i get to do this. you were the obama white house social secretary. when was the last time you spoke with president obama or mrs. obama and what did you talk about? >> i actually saw them in i think 2019. i still do trips now and then for them before the pandemic and
8:55 am
we went to singapore and saw them there over in singapore. working for them was great. i was finishing the harvard fellowship and they congratulated me on that and always supportive and there if something is needed but the last time i spoke with them and almost anybody outside of my house. and so yeah, no, yeah. >> i love that. if you need an assistant on a trip i volunteer as tribute. you started at the white house as 30 intern and wound up being the social secretary. thank you for taking the time this morning to tell us about the scholarship and thank you for doing what you're doing. we'll be right back after the break. k after the break.
8:56 am
(vo) the subaru outback. dog tested. dog approved. what's the #1 retinol brand used most by dermatologists? it's neutrogena® rapid wrinkle repair® smooths the look of fine lines in 1-week, deep wrinkles in 4. so you can kiss wrinkles goodbye! neutrogena® we started with computers. we didn't stop at computers. we didn't stop at storage or cloud. we kept going. working with our customers to enable the kind of technology that can guide an astronaut back to safety. and help make a hospital come to you, instead of you going to it. so when it comes to your business, you know we'll stop at nothing. ♪
8:57 am
pepto bismol coats and soothes your stomach for fast relief so when it comes to your business, and get the same fast relief in a delightful chew with pepto bismol chews. guy fieri! ya know, if you wanna make that sandwich the real deal, ya gotta focus on the bread layers. king's hawaiian sliced bread makes everything better! ♪ (angelic choir) ♪ and here's mine!
8:58 am
so you're a small business, or a big one. you were thriving, but then... oh. ah. okay. plan, pivot. how do you bounce back? you don't, you bounce forward, with serious and reliable internet. powered by the largest gig speed network in america. but is it secure? sure it's secure. and even if the power goes down, your connection doesn't. so how do i do this? you don't do this. we do this, together. bounce forward, with comcast business.
8:59 am
okay, guy just that's the show for today. time flies when you're trending. thank you for that. thank you for watching at home. i'll be back next sunday 10:00 a.m. eastern and instagram live shortly and my friend the gorgeous alex witt has the latest. >> you are so great. i love the fact you trend on twitter. i love that deesha was 30 years old as an intern in the white house and rises to social secretary. anything can happen. >> exactly. >> i hope kids hear that all over the place, even grown-up kids like me. anyway, have a great easter if you celebrate tomorrow. >> thank you.
9:00 am
>> thank you so much. >> thank you. hey, a very good day to you from msnbc world headquarters here in new york high noon here in the east. 9:00 a.m. out west. welcome to the first edition of "alex witt reports." we begin with breaking news with new details and reaction today after a man drove a car into a security barricade at the capitol complex friday killing a capitol police officer and injuring one more. an investigation into the motives of the suspect who was killed after jumping out of that car with a knife. a live report from capitol hill in a moment. also new today, any moment now we're expecting to hear from georgia governor kemp. kemp will be addressing that major curveball coming from the mlb pulling the 2020 all-star game out of atlanta due to georgia's

140 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on