Skip to main content

tv   The Late Show With Stephen Colbert  CBS  April 27, 2021 11:35pm-12:37am PDT

11:35 pm
captioning sponsored by cbs >> nasa's ingenuity helicopter logged its third successful flight on mars. the tiny chopper flew 16 feet in the air, then zipped 164 feet away with ingenuity traveling at more than four miles per hour. >> we are ready for the fourth test flight of the ingenuity drone. >> can i try to fly it? >> what? >> can i try? >> all right. >> here we go. >> ascending to five feet. a little fast. watch your trim. great, you flew it into a tree. way to go, numbnuts. >> sorry. >> all right, let's send up the rescue rocket.
11:36 pm
>> announcer: it's "a late show with stephen colbert." tonight: plus stephen welcomes senator amy klobuchar and kyle maclachlan featuring jon batiste and stay human. and now, live on tape from the ed sullivan theater office building in new york city, it's stephen colbert! >> stephen: welcome. welcome, ladies and gentlemen to "a late show." i am your host, stephen colbert. folks, if, like me, you are an american who has a face, we have got some great news, because this afternoon, the c.d.c. issued new guidelines awyeah that fully vaccinated take it ofaby! show daddy them nostrils! mmm! flare 'em!
11:37 pm
( laughter ) this is great news for people who love fresh air, but a little late for those who already have the tan lines. c.d.c. director rochelle walensky explained what they meant by "crowded settings." >> generally, for vaccinated people, outdoor activities without a mask are safe. however, we continue to recommend masking in crowded outdoor settings and venues, such as packed stadiums and concerts, where there is decreased ability to maintain physical distance and where many unvaccinated people may also be present. >> stephen: okay, got it. so, sex on the beach? no mask. orgy on the beach? mask. and probably a snorkel. to assess the risk level of various activities, the c.d.c. put out this chart that shows when it is safe for vaccinated and unvaccinated people to go without a mask. handy chart. still no word on when it is safe to do this:
11:38 pm
later in the afternoon, president biden are minded the nation that not all outdoor gatherings should be mask free. >> i want to be absolutely clear, if you're in a crowded stadium or a conference-- or a concert, you >> stephen: good save, joe. although, i do love an outdoor conference. next year, i want to go to "burning businessman." biden had a message for the unvaccinated youths: >> for those who have not gotten their vaccination yet-- especially if you're younger or think you don't need it-- this is another great reason to go get vaccinated now, now! >> stephen: i'm not sure why he is whispering the most urgent part. it sounds like old man asmr. ( as whispering biden ) "now, now. listen to me-- listen-- listen
11:39 pm
to me drinkle this paper. oooh, i better eat these cherries. you feel that full-body tingling sensation? that's from the a-s-m-r. or the side effects of the vaccine. nowww." ( laughter ) the c.d.c.'s new guidelines must be very validating for fox news host tucker carlson, seen here trying to squeeze out one of his opinions. last night, tucker threw a hissy fit about mask-wearing. >> masks have always been incompatible with a free society. masks transform people from citizens into drones. they isolate us. they alienate us. they shut us off from one another. masks prevent intimacy and human contact. >> stephen: tucker, masks are not the reason humans do not want to contact you. it is because you say stuff like this! even before lockdown, intimacy was not what i was looking for from strangers in public.
11:40 pm
no one says, "gosh, it was so much more personal when you could see the subway masturbator's happy little face." ( laughter ) then tucker took his anti-mask crusade to the next level. >> the only people who wear masks voluntarily outside are zealots and neurotics. they're the aggressors. it's our job to brush them back and restore the society we were born in. >> stephen: tucker, i'm going to point out, literally, the first person you met when you were born was wearing a mask. upon upon but tuck has a way to restore human contact and intimacy to public life: harass other people's kids. >> as for forcing children to wear them outside, that should be illegal. your response when you see children wearing masks as they play should be no different from your response to seeing someone beat a kid in walmart: call the police immediately. contact child protective services. keep calling until someone arrives. >> stephen: yes, tucker just wants you to keep kids safe, and the best way to do that is to send an army of fox news conspiracy goons to the playground to have their parents
11:41 pm
arrested. but, tucker, if you're going to spend the summer yelling at kids, you don't have to wear a mask anymore, but i would wear a cup, because parents are going to dropkick your balls into your sternum. tucker is not the only one being a mask-hole. early on, conservative activists who chose masks as a wedge issue to fire up their base, and their base continus to smolder. take temecula, california, city council member jessica alexander. recently, the city council held a zoom hearing in which alexander went on an odd tangent about how being asked to wear a mask makes her feel. >> look at rosa parks. she was accommodated to the back of the bus, but she finally took a stand and moved to the front, because she knew that that wasn't lawful. it wasn't true. so she took a stand. i'm getting pushed to the back of the bus. this is what i'm telling you i feel like. i feel like i'm getting pushed to the back of the bus. >> stephen: wow, watching her compare herself to rosa parks really took away my appetite.
11:42 pm
i am a lot like ghandi that way. it was so dumb, one of alexander's fellow council members just could not take it. check out the woman in the upper left-hand corner. >> look at rosa parks. there she is. she's realizing where this is going. she can't believe what this woman is saying at the hearing. and she decides to get off that bus! she was not alone. seconds, later this happened: >> i'm getting pushed to the back of the bus. this is what i'm telling you i fel like. i feel like i'm getting pushed to the back of the bus. >> stephen: but it is not just masks. people are going out of their maga heads about the vaccine. and i will catch you up on the latest in tonight's "the vax-scene." (sung to tune of "mr. sandman") ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ mr. sandman, get the vaccine
11:43 pm
♪ so that you don't get covid-19 ♪ it doesn't matter, moderna or pfizer ♪ just get one so your grandma doesn't die, sir. ♪ mr. sandman, go get the jab ♪ it's safe! it's made by scientists in a lab ♪ i can't stand this quarantine ♪ so, mr. sandman, please, get the vaccine ♪ >> stephen: i need a five-letter word for "that was way too long." ( laughter ) i literally-- the ball of yearn went into my cup of coffee. i couldn't do it again if-- if you-- nothing to wipe my hands with! okay! welcome to hour two of tonight's monologue. in a story that is the perfect marriage of misinformation and
11:44 pm
florida, a private school in miami has barred vaccinated teachers from contact with students. the announcement was made by d's fease er co-founder and ner, wa in republican donor and anti-vaxxer, wrote a letter to the staff last week claiming that "non-vaccinated people have been negatively impacted by interacting with people who have been vaccinated." it's a conspiracy theory going around the internet called "shed." as in, "anyone who believes that is not the sharpest tool in the." centner then took things a step further, claiming that "at least three women's menstrual cycles were impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person." that is ridiculous. women's menstrual cycles are not impacted by vaccinated people. i believe they are affected by the phases of the moon, crystal frequencies, and some sort of psychic link with susan sarandon. now, vaccines have no known effect on a woman's fertility,
11:45 pm
but centner is able to get away with endangering teachers' jobs and lives because centner academy is a private school, whose motto is "cultivating leaders with heart." and ( bleep ) the leaders with lungs. oh, hey, remember back on january 6 when we were not sure if we would still have a country on january 7? well, the f.b.i. remembers, because they continue to crack down on the insurrectionists, and i will tell you all about that in tonight's "seditionist round-up roundup." >> you have the right to re-moooooooo-n silent >> stephen: thank you, sheriff bessy. first, we have an update on capitol rioter and future oscar-winning frances mcdormand role, rachel powell. earlier this year, the f.b.i. charged powell with busting into the capitol and, among other things, engaging in violence with an ice axe. a weapon she picked up from either from "r-e-i'm going to jail, or "patagoin-to-prison."
11:46 pm
powell gained notoriety on january 6 because she was seen barking orders to other rioters with a megaphone, earning her the nickname, "bullhorn lady." pretty impressive to storm the capitol with an ice axe and have your nickname be about anything else. "hey, you see that guy in the blue hat? he poops his pants everywhere he goes. every single place he poops his pants. we call him "lil' blue hat guy." powell is currently awaiting trial, but one of the conditions the judge gave her for her release was that she must wear a face mask whenever she leaves her home, which is why the court was a little upset when someone posted a video of powell wearing this mesh mask. not exactly protective. but you can buy it from the same stores that sell fishnet condoms. for no one's pleasure. ( laughter ) powell apologized to the court for flouting the rules, explaining that her mask was "inspired by singer lana del rey," presumably talking about this mask that
11:47 pm
lana del rey wore early on in the pandemic. yep, pretty close. the big difference is that del rey's mesh mask had a layer of plastic beneath it, whereas powell's appears to be just the mesh. although, we'll never know for sure, because after she was caught, powell threw away the mask. classic innocent behavior, ( as criminal ) "if i killed the guy, there'd be blood on my carpet, and you'll never find blood on my carpet because i threw my carpet in the ocean. it sank real good, because there was a guy rolled up inside." we also have an update about robert chapman. chapman has been charged by the justice department, but what's interesting is how he was caught. he was finally apprehended after he was turned in by someone he matched with after he blagged about his exploits on january 6. aw, kind of sweet that he is on bumble. he is just looking for a nice girl to share an ice axe with. she is out there, buddy! actually, they caught her, so she is in there with you.
11:48 pm
chapman really brought his "a" game to his flirty texts, bragging "i did storm the capitol." "i made it all the way into statuary hall." and "did an interview with robert o'morrow of 'the washington post.'" to which she replied, "we are not a match." too bad. he was hoping she would swipe "alt-right." what is weird is that when she said, "we are not match," he replied, "i suppose not." where was that easy-goin' c'est la vie attitude on january 6, buddy? how nice would it have been to see all you a-holes walking up the steps chanting, "you win some, you lose some! there are other fish in the sea! this is a chance to work on me!" i'm going to take a pottery class! that's what you do, right, when you break up? you take a pottery class? did you take a pottery class? >> not when i broke up i didn't take pottery. >> stephen: why did you take it? >> because of my sister. >> stephen: is it too painful to remember? ( laughter ) how long are we now, chris?
11:49 pm
are we long? we're so long? is the monologue going a little long right now? how long now? now that i've just paused for a long period of time? you see, i'm freed up-- i don't have the mask on. i'm all free, you see. next up on "the roundup," we got an update on capitol rioter richard barnett, seen here pointing at his proud boys. you may remember barnett left a note on nancy pelosi's desk calling the speaker of the house a bitch. but his attorney just floated a unique argument for why he should be released, saying that in the note he left for the speaker, he called her a "biatch," not a bitch. hold on a second. what does that matter? he wasn't charged with "potty mouth." "your honor, we freely admit my client, mr. dahmer, ate those people, but in his defense, i will point out, he did start with a salad fork." now, technically, he didn't call her either of those things, because in the actual note he
11:50 pm
called her a "biatd," as his attorney explained in their court filing: "instead of writing the accusatory 'you bitch,' as the government falsely states, it only says 'biatd.' and without the word 'you,' the 'd' was meant to be two letters, 'c' and 'h,' with the 'c' connected to an 'h,' to spell the word 'biatch' who knows what is true at this point. one thing is for sure: these lawyers are charging by the hour. their brief went on to say, "'c' makes the same sound as a 'k,' except in this case, because it's followed by an 'h,' so it makes a 'ch' sound. you see, the 'k' sound is derived from classical greek, while 'ch' comes from modern frnch. how many hours have i billed? daddy's buyin' a new boat!" ( laughter ) well, despite this crazy crazy, stupid-crazy arguments, today a judge let him o jail. son of a biaaatch! we've got a great showou tonight.
11:51 pm
my guests are senator amy klobuchar and kyle maclachlan. but when we come back, california might be in the market for a new governor. maybe you. right now, thousands of bartenders have nowhere to use their skills. [spoon clinking in mug] the bulleit frontier fund is making a commitment to help bartenders keep doing what they do best. [spoon clinking in glass] let's keep our bartenders pouring. (music) fleece vibes. [spoon clinking in glass] only at old navy, and old navy.com ♪ you get a call from a friend ♪ ♪ to remind you ♪ ♪ that you're not alone ♪ ♪ and you know deep down inside ♪ ♪ it's gonna be all right ♪
11:52 pm
♪ all right ♪ ♪ you've got the looks ♪ ♪ let's make lots of money ♪ ♪ you've got the brawn ♪ ♪ i've got the brains... ♪ with allstate, drive who it$700 click or call to switch spray, lift, skip, step. swipe, lift, spin, dry. slam, pan, still...fresh move, move, move, move aaaaand still fresh. degree. ultimate freshness activated when you move. the new samsung galaxy s21 this looks different. it is. show me. just hit record! see that? you're filming in 8k. that's cinema quality. so... you can pull photos straight from video. impressive. but will it last a whole trip? you'll have battery all day. and then more. this is different. told you. ♪
11:53 pm
gold by andreya triana we believe in good we can all afford ♪ sing it, yeah, yeah ♪ from coffee that opens more eyes to black business. ♪ all gold to me ♪ to a hundred shades of beautiful. ♪ yeah, good to me ♪
11:54 pm
attention, california. new federal funding of $3 billion is available to help more people pay for health insurance — no matter what your income. how much is yours? julie and bob are paying $700 less, every month.
11:55 pm
dee got comprehensive coverage for only $1 a month. and the navarros are paying less than $100 a month. check coveredca.com to see your new, lower price. the sooner you sign up the more you save. only at covered california. this way to health insurance. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ >> stephen: hey, everybody, welcome back to "a late show." let's say hello to mr. jon batiste. hello, jon! >> jon: hello, hello! what's happening with you, stephen. >> stephen: are you still feeling good? >> jon: yes, i'm on the phone right now with the legendary herbie hancock. >> stephen: oh, my gosh! hello, herbie hancock. look at that. somebody wants to say congratulations, jon. >> jon congratulations, so happy for you! so proud of you!
11:56 pm
>> jon: oh, evie. we love you! ( laughter ) yes! >> oh, we're so proud of you, jon. it was fantastic. you were great. >> jon: oh, thank you. >> stephen: hey, jon, i don't want to interrupt your time with herbie. obviously, that takes priority. but i would rather talk to him than me. but, i never got to talk to you last night about what music you might have been inspired to play by your oscar win. anything want to come out of your fingertips? >> jon: oh, my goodness, i played what herbie won the first oscar for. i'll play "around midnight." ♪ ♪ ♪ >> stephen: jon batiste, everybody. thanks, jon. thanks, herbie. >> jon: yes!
11:57 pm
>> stephen: folks, big news from the west coast, where california's effort to recall governor gavin newsom has gained enough signatures to trigger a vote. that's a big deal. it's not easy to recall governor gavin newsom. close your eyes. can you recall what he looks like? he said the guy with the hair and the hands and the face, something like that. i don't know. let's give them some help here. this is california governor and corporate retreat leader about to release the team-building rattlesnakes, gavin newsom. newsom's republican opponents have been trying to recall him for months, and yesterday, they announced enough signatures have been verified to trigger a recall election. now, this is not the first california governor recall. last time this happened, in 2003, gray davis was replaced by arnold schwarzenegger, who used his time in office to bring much-needed law enforcement into kindergarten classes and attempt to stop global warming with his freeze ray. just like last time, republicans have a great cast of characters
11:58 pm
lined up to control the 5th largest economy in the world, like former san diego mayor and the bland with the plan, kevin faulconer, as well as former olympic athlete and reality tv star caitlyn jenner, seen here struggling to list the kardashians. "let's see, there's kim and kylie and there's kalvin and krispy and kirkland brand? come on, california! if you are going with a member of the kardashian family, kim has the most experience! she is studying for the bar exam, and she managed to negotiate an exit strategy from the troubled region of west kanye! and moments before we began this taping-- this is absolutely true-- we got an online announcement from veteran actor and santa with a restraining order, randy quaid. quaid tweeted, "i'm seriously considering running for governor." and i am seriously considering being really excited about that. and i am being told he has already released his first ad.
11:59 pm
>> in this year's recall election, randy quaid is the only candidate who has a plan for california." "paid for by the committee to get randy quaid out of my garden shed." >> "i'm running!" >> stephen: congratulations, future governor quaid. when we return i'll be back with my favorite ca kardashian, klobuchar, senator amy. stick around. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ over 10 years. olay's hydration was unbeaten every time. face anything. find out more at olay.com (vo) ideas exist inside you, electrify you. they grow from our imagination, but they can't be held back.
12:00 am
they want to be set free. to make the world more responsible, and even more incredible. ideas start the future, just like that. ♪ (ac/dc: back in black) ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ back in black ♪ ♪ i hit the sack ♪ ♪ i've been too long... ♪ applebee's irresist-a-bowls are back. dig in for just $8.99. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood.
12:01 am
facing leaks takes strength. so here's to the strong, who trust in our performance and comfortable long-lasting protection. because your strength is supported by ours. depend. the only thing stronger than us, is you. joint pain, swelling, tenderness. my psoriasis. ntyx cp you look a ettein cosentyx works on titith my psoriasis. ntyx cp you look a ettein don't use if you're cose allergic to cosentyx. before starting, get checked for tuberculosis. an increased risk of infections and lowered ability to fight them may occur. tell your doctor about an infection or symptoms, if your inflammatory bowel disease symptoms develop or worsen, or if you've had a vaccine, or plan to. serious allergic reactions may occur.
12:02 am
watch me! get real relief with cosentyx. oh, i've traveled all over the country. talking about saving with geico. but that's the important bit, innit? showing up, saying “hello! fancy a nice chat?” then we talk like two old friends about sticky buns and all the savings you could get by bundling your home and car insurance. but here's the real secret. eye contact. you feel that? we just had a moment. [chuckles] who would've thought it? geico. save even more when you bundle home and car insurance.
12:03 am
♪ ♪ ♪ >> stephen: welcome back, everybody. joining me now is the first woman elected to the senate from minnesota, a former presidential candidate, and author of the new book, "antitrust." please welcome back to "a late
12:04 am
show," senator amy klobuchar. of senator, thanks so much for being here. >> thanks, stephen. great to be on again. >> stephen: we're seeing each other under slightly happier circumstances. the last time you were here was the night of january 6 after the seditionist insurrection against the united states of america. and just two weeks after that, you were one of the chairmen of the inauguration, and you you were up there addressing the nation and the world from that... dais, that podium up there, that had been attacked. what did it feel like to be up there on that day? >> well, i was thinking of that night when you and i talked i kept telling you, "we have to finish our job. we have to count these electoral votes." and it was senator roy blunt and me and vice president pence and two pages carrying the mahogany box with the electoral ballots walking through broken glass to the house. and we vowed that day when we finished our jobs we were going
12:05 am
to have an inauguration that joe biden and kamala harris deserved. we didn't take it inside, and it was an amazing moment with a bright blue sky, and i'll never forget the exhilaration of standing there and thinking, we did this, and we literally were standing on the very platform that they tried to take down. there was makeshift windows behind us. there was still spray paint at the bottom of the columns. and it was just this moment where democracy brushed itself off, picked itself up, and went forward, as we always do, one nation, under god, indivisible with liberty and justice for all. and i got to meet lady gaga. >> stephen: you buried the lede on that one. >> there was one problem. she and i wore the same dress, and then i changed. >> stephen: well, you actually did. you got-- you got? -- you got a shout-out. i believe you were named one of the best-- the best dressed in terms of your coats there.
12:06 am
>> oh, yeah. >> stephen: you got a lot of good press for the coat right there. i want to get back to january 6 for just a moment, because i know that speaker pelosi has laid out plans for a commission, negotiated with the g.o.p. on the details of that commission. meanwhile, the rules committee has had some hearings. what do we need to do to make sure that that dark day does not get forgotten and those responsible for spreading the lie that led to this violence against our democracy are held accountable? >> two major answers. one, the justice department, under merrick garland's leadership, and now lisa monaco, they are taking on those cases in a big way. separate, the senate and house have to make sure this never happens again. and, actually, i'm leading, along with gary peter and rob portman and senator blunt, a
12:07 am
major investigation. the hearings have been televised. and we also are continuing with interviews with defense department officials to make sure, one, we have this work so that the police chief isn't calling sergeant at arms in the middle of an insurrection and saying, "can i have permission to call the national guard?" that actually happened. two, better intelligence sharing and being able to more quickly call for help. and then, three, what happened at the defense department? why was that three-hour wait while things were going on? so we're getting to the bottom upon of that. we're issuing a major report in may and recommendation s. >> stephen: do you think there will be a further commission, like the 9/11 commission? this is the darkest day i can remember since that day. >> i hope so because there are even more that can be looked into. but my focus was on solutions and getting recommendations out as soon as possible, and that's why we're putting this out in may. >> stephen: last time we spoke, you were pretty mad at josh hawley and ted cruz.
12:08 am
still mad? >> yeah. you know, i mean, this is a democracy, and we all have to take care of that democracy, even if we don't agree. and i think, also, i think you saw the impeachment of donald trump, and while that didn't turn out the way a lot of us wanted, at least we got a number of republican votes with us. and we were able to show the public exactly what happened. but, again, right now, we're having-- tomorrow, we're going to be hearing from joe biden. it has been about 100 days, for the state of the union. as i look at those days, yes. do i want to make sure it never happens again, look back at it and make accountability and justice. but i also want to give joe biden his moment tomorrow because he has accomplished incredible things in terms of getting the vaccines out to everyone, in terms of the stability with our economy, and we're really proud of that. and, also, we finally can look
12:09 am
at, as they say in duluth, the lighthouse on the horizon. we finally see that we've got to start working on everything from our economy to infrastructure to human infrastructure and child care and get ourselves out of this pandemic to a better day. >> stephen: obviously, you're going to be, tomorrow night, one of the 200 people who can actually be in the room for the president's address to what is normally a joint session. how do you get those tickets? what's-- how do-- how do you get one of those? >> there's a lottery. >> stephen: really? >> there actually was. it was a lottery of members because a lot of people wanted to go. but i do-- i'm in leadership in the senate, so i get to be part greeting group. we go and greet the president and bring him in. but i think the difference is, as just the inauguration, it's a somber moment. people are going to be sitting apart. you won't quite see the, you know, up and down and the ra
12:10 am
raucous behavior because there will be so much less people but i think that fits the moment. i really do. >> stephen: you have a new book called "antitrust: taking on monopoly power from the gilded age to the digital age." well, i'm somewhat familiar with, like t.r., teddy roosevelt, and the trust busting, the end of the previous it's 19th century into the 20th century. what are the trusts that need to be wi busted up now? >> well, these are modern had of day trusts. instead of the steel trust or standard oil, you've got google that controls 90% of the search market. you've got apple and google controlling those app stores. and you've got facebook that basically, along with google, said to an entire country, the country of australia, "hey, you're going to make us pay for content? we're just going to leave you guys." that's to an entire
12:11 am
industrialized nation. that's what monopolies do. and then you've got frefe everyg from online travel, from cat foods to caskets. since there's no monopoly of comedians i would quote one of your competitors, john oliver, who did a whole seg oment this and talked about all the consolidation. at the very end he said, "if this is enough to make you want to die, good luck because there are only three casket makers. and now one of them bought the other, so there are only two." that's what we're dealing with right now in our country. and that's why i wrote this book, because i want people to understand-- i used over 100 cartoons. i tried to write this in as interesting a way as possible with fun stories about the woman who invented the monopoly aboard, and ida tarbell who took on standard oil, because i wanted to create a movement here again. i just can't get this done in washington to pass a bill and get the funding that we need for the justice department and the
12:12 am
f.t.c., without a lot of support. because it is really tough to get through the biggest companies the world has ever known. and we need to do this for the people of this country, and for our economy. we've always rejuvenated our economy. we have always believed in entrepreneurship and small businesses. and we've got too many titans that are gateways controlling pieces of our economy. >> stephen: well, that's a very compelling argument. we will cut out the john oliver stuff right? we'll take all of that out. okay, good, good. >> you've got a monopoly on your show. >> stephen: it's a benevolent monarchy on the show is what it is. >> a gatekeeper. >> stephen: i am 100% a gatekeeper. and i want to say to google, i think she's wrong about this whole industrial thing. you did the right thing. okay, i have to protect my own searches -- i have to protect my own searches here. >> that is the problem right now. people are actually-- and i know you're joke-- but people are afraid to come forward and talk about it because the monopolies
12:13 am
scare them, because they might get screwed by them. >> stephen: i'm not scared at all, google. i think you guys are great. ( laughter ) facebook, also wonderful people. last week we saw the passing of your mentor, walter mondale. and i have a picture of you right here, a young amy klobuchar, and a fairly young walter mondale right there. what did he mean to you? what are some of your favorite memories of the former vice president? >> well, he gave me my first job in politics. i was in college, and i thought i was going to be an intern writing all these great policy briefings. but instead, he gave me the job of taking the inventory of every single piece of furniture, lamp, chair, of the vice president and his staff. i spent weeks writing down serial numbers. and i learned two things from that experience. one, he was scrupulously honest, nothing was missing. and, second, take your jobs in politics seriously. i say this to all students, even
12:14 am
if they're not what you dream. because that was my first job in washington, and this is my second. and he was my mentor through all of this. and h he was-- i think in minnesota we saw a different side of him. and that is we didn't just see him in power. we saw him after he lost and he came home and how he treated people with such dignity, and how he made it his mission to really teach a new generation of leaders so they were ready for the next big decision. i literally saw him once go from having help negotiate with bagin and sadat, the camp david peace accords and then at a grocery store, where a clerk talked to him for, literally, 20 minutes about mideast peace. and he did it with such aplumb. so i think for anyone that, you know, life doesn't quite go where you want and you lose a job or you don't quite do what you thought you wanted to do, he was this model citizen. and so we're going to miss him very much.
12:15 am
>> stephen: well, "antitrust" is available today. senator amy klobuchar, everybody! thank you, senator. we will be right back with kyle maclachlan. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ is the world's longest-lasting, we tested it against our competitor's best battery. (meowing) (clicking) and energizer ultimate lithium wins again! energizer, backed by science. matched by no one. you deserve a car that thrills you. a car that puts goosebumps on your goosebumps. ♪ ♪ this is the new nissan. ♪ ♪ this is the new nissan. ♪ listen to your heart, ♪ ♪ find a gift perfect for me. ♪ ♪ put it in your cart, ♪ ♪ a great price, all would agree. ♪ ♪ i'm gonna love what you get me, ♪
12:16 am
♪ i won't have to lie. ♪ ♪ so put it in your cart, ♪ ♪ spend less, gift better, goodbye... ♪ & homegoods this mother's day, listen to your heart.d le, frank is a fan of fast. fast walking. fast talking. talk, talk, talk, talk, talk. fast lunching. thanks, gary. and for unexpected heartburn... frank is a fan of maximum strength pepcid. pepcid works in minutes. nexium 24 hour and prilosec otc can take one to four days to fully work. so frank can get back to fast mowing... fast dining... fast movie watching... and sleeping. pepcid. strong relief for fans of fast. whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. the capital one quicksilver card does not need a dog-and-pony show. it's simple. unlimited 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase with no annual fee. no need to jump through any crazy hoops. what's in your wallet?
12:17 am
itchy? scratchy? family not getting clean? get charmin ultra strong. it just cleans better, so your family can use less. hello clean bottom! enjoy the go with charmin. nicorette knows, quitting smoking is freaking hard. you get advice like: just stop. get a hobby. you should meditate. eat crunchy foods. go for a run. go for 10 runs! run a marathon. are you kidding me?! instead, start small. with nicorette. which can lead to something big. start stopping with nicorette so with your home & auto bundle, you'll save money and get round-the-clock protection. -sounds great. -sure does. shouldn't something, you know, wacky be happening right now? we thought people could use a break. we've all been through a lot this year.
12:18 am
-that makes sense. -yeah. so... ♪ now's not a good time 3/5ths of nsync. are you sure? you have us booked all day. -read the room, guys. -yeah. right?
12:19 am
♪ ♪ ♪ >> stephen: welcome back,
12:20 am
everybody. my next guest is an actor you know as special agent dale cooper in "twin peaks." he now stars as president franklin d. roosevelt in "atlantic crossing." >> yes, sir. >> to get crown princess martha. >> yes, and her children. >> what a wonderful idea. >> sir, this ship has to sail through german-controlled waters, oceans teeming with submarines. >> we could always ask hitler for permission first. we are neutral, so there's no reason for him to protest. >> oh, ask hitler. >> yes. we don't need to get the german passenger list. >> stephen: please welcome back to "a late show," kyle maclachlan! hey, kyle. >> hey, stephen, how are you? >> stephen: i'm doing fine. listen, right off the bat, i have questions here, right off the bat, i'm loving the silver. my wife, evie, is right here. what do you think? should i go?
12:21 am
should i stop dying my hair? >> i'm in for 100%. if you stop dying your hair and i go back to my black, horn rimmed glasses, i think maybe. , twins. >> stephen: we could do a freaky friday thing. >> or john slattery might get in there. >> stephen: it's a congratulations on gracefully aging ( laughs ) >> thank you. "gracefully,--" that's the key word, right. >> stephen: last time we were together-- here we go-- this is a couple of years ago. you and me, we drank some of your delicious wine from your winery, pursued by bear. obvious question here, people have been pounding the vino during the covid quarantine. has this been a good time to own a winery? >> yes, this has been a great time to own a winery, i gotta say. for some reason, during the pandemic, people just kept drinking. and the wine was-- flew off the
12:22 am
shelves, to the point now where i actually make five different varietals, stephen, and i plan to open my tasting room in downtown walla walla this summer. so things are good in the wine world. >> stephen: well, how did you-- how does one just become a vintner. were you always a wine guy? >> i was a wine guy in high school, before i was supposed to be a wine guy. >> stephen: wait a second. you were a wine guy in high school? did you-- did you wear a fedora and suspenders? because wine guy in high school doesn't quite work. >> it was the ascot that i would aware what was the giveaway, i think. it was all about having dinner with my girlfriend and her parents and we'd have a nice glass of white wine with dinner, under adult supervision, of course. and then we expanded that privilege, and we started having picnics together, my girlfriend and i, where we'd just about get any kind of wine we possibly
12:23 am
could find. and we had a favorite spot out in the cemetery we would go to and have a picnic with cheese and crackers. and those are my high school years. >> stephen: on top of the graves. >> on top of-- after we stosmed them, you know. no, it was a beautiful little bauer of-- between three pine trees. it was very secluded. you know how things go when you're in high school. >> stephen: so, were you affecting at the time? >> yes. well, i was acting in plays at my high school. >> stephen: so you're an actor kid who drinks wine with the fedora, the suspenders, and you're hanging out in cemeteries. that's trying a little hard to be artie, i think. >> listen, i'm from yakima. i had to do anything i could, for goodness sake. >> stephen: you have a new series on pbs called "atlantic crossing, where yo you play
12:24 am
franklin roosevelt. is there anything you didn't know that you learned about roosevelt? >> i relied on doris kearns wood win, and the ken burns documentary "the roosevelts." he liked to entertain. he was a man of big appetites and he loved having people over to have dinner at home in the white house. and then they would end up just staying in the white house for weeks at a time. he loved people-- having people around. >> stephen: really? he turned it into an airbn"b"? >> almost, there was an airbn"b." guys would come and stay for weeks and never leave upstairs and just hang out. he loved having company. he loved having cocktail hour. 5:00 came around and he was all in for that. >> stephen: what was his drink? what was f.d.r.'s poison? >> as you might expect, he was
12:25 am
an old-fashioned gin martini kind of guy, notorious for mixing bad drinks. if he asked you, "what would you like to drink?" better to say, "i'll get it, don't worry." he was a terrible mixologist and a terrible driver, it turns out. a couple things i learned about him, yeah, on that side. >> stephen: heavy drinker, terrible driver. >> yeah those go hand in hand. >> stephen: what the hell, put him on the dime? kyle we have to take a quick break but stick around everybody, we'll be right back with in mr. mclachlan. hi! awwww, so pretty. dogs bring out the good in us. pedigree® brings out the good in them. like many people with moderate to severe ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease, i was there. be right back.
12:26 am
but my symptoms were keeping me from where i needed to be. ♪ so i talked to my doctor and learned humira is for people who have uc... ...or crohn's disease. so you can experience few or no symptoms. humira can lower your ability to fight infections. serious and sometimes fatal infections, including tuberculosis, and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. be there for you... and them. ask your gasnter mi. wi, remission is possible. (music)
12:27 am
fleece vibes. be there for you... and them. only at old navy, and old navy.com hey jessica, you did great today! thanks beer! you went for a run! more of a walk run. mostly to get a break from your kids. awesome... but you also chose an organic beer. new coors pure. to jessica! to jessica! woo! honey, you talking to the fridge? no, the beer. okay. because you tried today! new coors pure. with 3 simple ingredients. it's organic but chill about it.
12:28 am
12:29 am
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ don't settle for products that give you a sort of white smile. try new crest whitening emulsions
12:30 am
for 100% whiter teeth. its highly active peroxide droplets swipe on in seconds. better. faster. 100% whiter teeth. crestwhitesmile.com we believe in good we can all afford. from a wave of confidence to a t-shirt that means the world. new glad with clorox keeps all your trash all under control ♪ (intense music) ♪ (cat meows) even when your kitchen isn't... ♪ ♪ and when it's all under control... it's all clean it's all glad ♪heeyby? ♪ you look mity fine, ♪ ♪ i figured i might come your way and ♪ ♪ roll up on you with that golden ticket... ♪ smell irresistible. the new axe effect. [ crowd cheering ]
12:31 am
[ engine revving ] [ race light countdown ] ♪ ♪ when you save money with allstate you feel like you're winning. safe drivers save 40% saving is easy when you're in good hands. allstate. click or call for a quote today. chevy is america's fastest-growing full-line brand. and people are taking it everywhere. taking trailblazer outdoors. confidently taking on new places with equinox. and taking on more with silverado. whatever you do, there's a perfhe find your perfect chevy and get up to 17% of msrp cash back on select 2021 models. that's over fifty-four hundred dollars cash back on this equinox. find new roads at your local chevy dealer.
12:32 am
oh man... let's get you to this moment. is that it? yep, that's it. of relief... [joyfully laughs] protection... i just got vaccinated- i just got vaccinated! noah just got vaccinated... hope... so that we can get to all the other moments. let's get you to the exhale you didn't know you were waiting for. let's get it... together. so we can be together. let's get to immunity. now's your moment to get vaccinated. ♪ ♪ ♪ >> stephen: hey, everybody. we are back with kyle maclachlan. you're you have become very big on tiktok. how did this come about and do your children approve? because it's for the young lins, right? >> you have to keep up, stephen.
12:33 am
that's the whole thing. >> stephen: i can't. i can't keep up. >> there's one simple rule you have to remember-- men of our age don't dance on tiktok. if you follow that rule, you'll be find. >> stephen: what do you do on the tiktok? because i thought dancing is what i was supposed to do? >> well, yes... ( laughter ) and you've got it down. >> stephen: thank you. >> so, yeah, in fact, you're the one older man that could probably pull it off. the-- i do a lot of kind of reference to roles that i've played, spoofing cooper and the mayor of portlandia. >> stephen: piece of pie. >> it's all in good fun, all of that sort of stuff. that's kind of it. i was just shooting something this afternoon, kind of an elizabethan-style thing. i rented a costume from western costumes and it's a whole elisabeth zahn thing and i'm doing a shakespeare thing, a bad shakespeare thing. because the wine is pursued by bear, it's a stage direction from "winter's tell."
12:34 am
it's all i really have left is tiktok as an actor. that's sort of where-- that's what i have. >> stephen: it is, it's quite sad. but i have to appreciate the production value. >> oh, high production value. >> stephen: absolutely. >> you have to rent a costume, you know you're all in. >> stephen: >> stephen: "atlantic crossing" airs sundays on "masterpiece" on pbs. kyle maclachlan, everybody! we will be right back. thanks, kyle.
12:35 am
welcome to jack in the box. hey, jack, i heard your chicken- who told you that? it was jimmy wasn't it? no, i heard your chicken comes with classic and spicy in the same box, so i don't have to choose. ah yes. best of both worlds. my 50/50 popcorn chicken. only at jack in the box. this couple is working hard on our state's recovery. you see, they live in california and keeping their vacation in california supports our small businesses and communities.
12:36 am
which means that beautiful baby gherkin atop this charcuterie masterpiece is like another brick in the rebuilding of our economy. job well done friends. calling all californians. keep your vacation here and help our state get back to work. and please travel responsibly. ♪ refuse to choose and get my $6.99 50/50 popcorn chicken with both classic and spicy for the best of both worlds.
12:37 am
only at jack in the box. late show." tune in tomorrow when we will be live following president biden's first adress to congress, and my guest will be senator bernie sanders. james corden is next. good night. captioning sponsored by cbs captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org captioning sponsored by cbs ♪ the late late show, oh, oh the late late show, ooh ♪ the late late show, oh, oh the late late show ♪ oh, oh

97 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on