Skip to main content

tv   Late Night With Seth Meyers  NBC  November 11, 2021 12:37am-1:37am PST

12:37 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ♪ >> announcer: from 30 rockefeller plaza in new york, it's "late night with seth meyers. tonight -- gayle king illusionist and author david copperfield, music from aurora, featuring the 8g band with elmo lovano ♪ [ cheers and applause and now, seth meyers >> seth: good evening. i'm seth meyers. this is "late night. we're really excited to get started, and now we're going to get to the news. according to a new report from the labor department, u.s. consumer prices are surging more
12:38 am
than they have in 30 years okay, how much more bad news is biden going to get [ laughter ] at the end of the month, we're going to find out the turkey he pardoned was at the capitol on january 6th. [ laughter ] a federal judge ruled last night that former president trump cannot shield white house records from the house select committee investigating january's capitol attack oh, he really wants to, though he's acting like a boyfriend who just had his phone snatched out of his hand. "you don't have to hold it to look at it [ light laughter ] i will just show it to you, but don't scroll scrolling uses up battery. during a visit to the white house on monday to celebrate winning the 2021 nba championship, the milwaukee bucks gave president biden a custom jersey with the number 46 on the back and he was really excited because he thought it was his approval rating. [ laughter ] twitter yesterday launched its so-called twitter blue subscription service in the u.s., which will cost around $3 per month and allow users to
12:39 am
undo tweets before they post or for $6 per month, you can get twitter gold and they'll just delete your account entirely [ laughter ] after missing this week's game due to covid, green bay quarterback aaron rodgers said in a new interview that he has had, quote, "a lot of time for reflection while in quarantine." unfortunately, he does all his best thinking in the shower, and as you can see - [ laughter ] television host dr. oz is reportedly considering running for a senate seat in pennsylvania what who would ever want dr. oz to be their senator? the only thing crazier would be wanting dr. oz to be your doctor [ laughter ] it was announced today that actor paul rudd is "people magazine's" sexiest man alive, reclaiming the title he first received in 1938 [ laughter ]
12:40 am
a middle school history teacher in california was recently removed after telling students last month that donald trump was still president, though for what it's worth, i bet she's still telling people she's a teacher [ laughter ] rapper kanye west's clothing brand yeezy settled a lawsuit this week with the state of california over shipping delays and agreed to pay nearly $1 million or as it's known at yeezy, a shirt. [ laughter ] and finally, according to a new survey, 40% of americans said that they strongly approve of "sesame street's" big bird announcing on social media that he got a coronavirus vaccine they were less comfortable, though, with hearing why oscar needed the hep-c vaccine [ laughter ] and that was the monologue, everybody. [ cheers and applause we have a great show for you tonight. she is the co-host of "cbs mornings" and the editor at large of "o" quarterly gayle king will be here in studio [ cheers and applause he is a master illusionist whose book "david copperfield's
12:41 am
history of magic" is out now david copperfield will be joining me [ cheers and applause and her new album, "the gods we can touch," will be released on january 21st aurora is back on the show to perform for us [ cheers and applause but before we get to all that, a judge ruled that official records from the trump white house can be turned over to the congressional committee investigating the january 6th insurrection and yet, even as trump and his allies face various investigations and accusations of wrongdoing, they're still reappearing on right wing media networks to lie about everything from the pandemic to the economy. for more on this, it's time for "a closer look." [ cheers and applause ♪ >> seth: when trump left office, there were lots of people i would have been happy to never see or hear from again like overinflated football jason miller or the zombie who somehow retained the ability to talk, stephen miller [ laughter ] "yes, i did catch the rage virus and yes, i do have an appetite for brains, but that should not distract from the fact that joe biden is an illegitimate
12:42 am
president. [ laughter ] but probably the person i miss the least is kellyanne conway, whose shamelessness truly knew no bounds. she was somehow the trump administration's most prolific and also worst liar. she wasn't even smooth about it. she lied the way your kids lie "did you do your homework, teddy? "not only did i do all my homework for the entire school year and all of everyone else's, i also did the laundry." "okay, yeah. [ laughter ] go do your homework. "what gave it away was it the laundry?" [ laughter ] to this day, i still think the quote that should follow her for the rest of her career is this moment from march of 2020, where she insisted in the most condescending way possible that the coronavirus outbreak was under control. >> it is being contained and do you not think it's being contained? >> i'm not a doctor, i'm a lawyer >> well, you said it's not being contained. so, are you a doctor or a lawyer when you say it's not being contained? that's false >> the virus is spreading -- >> you just said something that's not true. >> seth: she always sounds like she's trying to argue that her coupon is still valid at talbot's [ laughter ] "it's valid. do you not think it's valid? [ laughter ] "you said it was not valid, and i'm just wondering where you
12:43 am
came up with that it wasn't valid. [ laughter ] but hey, credit where credit's due. she was right. it was all contained the coronavirus went away, everything went back to normal, i kept doing the show in a suit and tie in front of a live studio audience without interruption, and i stopped having that weird recurring nightmare where i was trapped in a room with a sea captain painting who loved corny jokes -- [ laughter ] and sounded suspiciously like will forte >> hey, seth, what do you call a painting that isn't real >> seth: i don't know. >> a pigment of your imagination. ha-ha-ha [ laughter ] [ audience ohs ] [ laughter ] >> seth: i got to figure out a way to get rid of that guy [ laughter ] so a deadly respiratory virus was rapidly spreading across the country, and yet kellyanne conway confidently told us everything was under control. like a park slope mom sipping a chardonnay while her kids set the house on fire. [ laughter ] "don't worry, the fire's contained and the fumes help build up their immune system
12:44 am
hold on one second juniper, what did i say about adding lighter fluid [ light laughter ] juniper! stop squirting the lighter fluid! [ laughter ] so help me god, juniper. [ laughter ] hey, you guys, i'm going to let you behind the curtain a little bit. wally, 'ol cue card wally backstage. [ cheers and applause sure, sure, why not? wally said, "hey," because, you know, wally's ahead of the curve. he's always trying to stay two steps ahead of it so we don't get in any trouble he goes, "hey, you want me to hold the cards a little off when you're yelling at jupiter? and i was like, "great idea, wally. so i turn that way wally goes that way. [ laughter ] hey, look. i get it, wally. you went the side that made more sense. [ laughter ] >> thank you that's right besides, you always -- >> seth: anyway -- we're talking about how someone else is incompetent. [ laughter ] and yet despite, or more likely
12:45 am
because of the fact that she lied about everything, kellyanne conway was invited back on fox news this week to lie yet again. this time about global supply chain issues >> you have a biden administration pretending they can bring us out of a once in a emic economically and they can't know admit what inflation is joe biden telling us all that we're sort of stupid and don't understand what the supply chain crisis is -- i worked in that white house for four years we never even heard of such a thing. there was no supply chain crisis >> seth: oh, really? because i seem to remember a time when a roll of toilet paper had a street value just above cocaine. [ laughter ] "hey, man, you looking to score some paper i just got some sweet alabama snowflake. two plies in your fly, baby. now in fairness, that disruption to the supply chain was caused in large part by panic buying in the early days of the pandemic thought i'm still not sure why we all stocked up on toilet paper like we were about to be surprise guests on "hot ones." [ laughter ] "sean evans is here!
12:46 am
he has ten different sauces! we need back-up! i still have ptsd about toilet paper, aka tpsd. [ laughter ] [ audience ohs ] the sea captain sent that one in [ laughter ] every time i see some dude walking down the street carrying a six-pack of charmin, i scream, "if you don't have six bathrooms or six ass[ bleep ], you better turn around right now and take that back to the store!" [ laughter ] which is a bummer, because i'm almost always with my kids when i yell that and then they -- [ laughter ] then they have a ton of questions. "uh, what's an [ bleep ]?" "well, i guess you if you tell mommy this happened again. [ laughter ] it's not a threat, it's a definition i mean, i know the last 20 months have been kind of a haze, but did they really expect us all to forget the long lines for food and the empty store shelves and the desperate search for lysol and purell do they think we've forgotten the days of watching "tiger king" and trying to make our own hand sanitizer out of vodka and grape jelly? [ laughter ] that's not to say --- that's not to say there aren't supply chain issues now there obviously are. i just ordered a christmas gift for my wife and i got an e-mail back telling me i should get it by july. [ laughter ]
12:47 am
that's just great. hopefully the cashmere sweater will look good on my divorce attorney [ laughter ] happy independence day, irv. [ laughter ] you think my wife's going to believe me when i say her gift didn't arrive because there were supply chain issues? especially since i've used that excuse before? [ laughter ] even worse, i used it in 2011. it seemed genius at the time, but last night she asked, "hey, what was the supply chain issue in 2011 again? and the best i could come up with was, "um, the royal wedding? [ laughter ] "yeah, i guess, like, william and kate bought all the bracelets that year? [ laughter ] and in some ways i guess it shouldn't be a surprise that there are supply chain issues. we're still living through a once in a century pandemic that has transformed virtually every aspect of society. not to mention inflationary pressures that are, on top of everything else, making life difficult for working people in this country democrats need to deal with those issues asap. unfortunately, we've got an
12:48 am
unhinged republican party that loses its [ bleep ] if just a handful of their members vote for a bipartisan infrastructure plan, and millionaire corporate democrats like joe manchin standing in the way of the agenda president biden promised to deliver and it certainly doesn't help the optics that not only does manchin have a yacht that he calls a houseboat, he also apparently has a maserati, as we discovered from a recent clip where he was confronted by climate activists. i'm sorry, but no politician should have a maserati are you senator from west virginia or a plastic surgeon from palm beach? [ laughter ] joe biden drives a stingray and he only gets away with it because he had a vibe of a kindly old grandpa who's getting back into dating [ laughter ] "i'm going to pick up nancy pellegrino down at the nursing home oh, nancy pellegrino i remember, back in '59 when we were high school sweethearts, i took her to a drive-in to see 'ben-hur.' [ laughter ] then we slid into the back seat and well, let's just say went at it like roman gladiators." "grandpa!"
12:49 am
"cars had a lot more steel in them in those days, and so did i. "grandpa, stop it! [ laughter ] the point is the supply chain crisis is very real. let's not act like it just happened out of nowhere. and the fact that the people around trump are such brazen, shameless liars is all the more reason why we need to see actual records of what was going on behind the scenes in that white house, especially as it relates to the insurrection on january 6th. trump has been trying to keep those records hidden from public view, but a court just ruled against him last night >> former president trump has lost the latest round in his legal battle to keep certain white house records secret relating to the january 6th attack on the u.s. capitol >> a federal judge has ruled the congressional committee investigating the january 6th attack on the u.s. capitol can access former president trump's white house records. >> in this court filing very late at night, the national archives puts out a list of more than 700 pages itemized saying, "this is what donald trump wants to keep secret." and they really gave details that we didn't know. there are these handwritten memos, or handwritten notes,
12:50 am
from chief of staff mark meadows specifically about january 6th there are call logs and switchboard call logs about calls to president trump, to vice president mike pence leading up to about january 6th. these are very specific things white house visitor logs white house call records, other memos, the daily schedule. >> seth: i'm shocked to learn there even was a daily schedule. [ laughter ] remember when we found out most days it said "executive time"? and that was just code for trump not wanting to leave his bedroom. he'd just spend the morning in his pjs calling in to "fox and friends" while viewers waited for them to blink to make sure they were still alive. [ laughter ] every once in a while an intern would come out and smear their eyeballs with vaseline [ laughter ] brian kilmeade always looked during those interviews like he was auditioning to be one of those gold statue guys in times square [ laughter ] he never actually went home. they'd just turn off the lights and leave him there overnight. [ laughter ] maybe that's why trump didn't care about the pandemic. he was the first president to work remotely, and even when he did show up to the office, i'd be shocked if there were ever actually records or official
12:51 am
documents in that white house. you think anyone ever took notes in a meeting with trump? when they finally subpoena those notepads, they're just going to be filled with random doodles and inscrutable comments like, "ingest bleach maybe?" [ laughter ] and there's no way trump himself ever wrote anything down he never even wrote any of own books. they were ghostwritten, which i'm sure trump took literally. "i didn't write it a ghost did, and i was - [ laughter ] -- pretty disappointed when i met the ghost. they said, 'donald, we're getting you a ghostwriter,' and i was hoping for a slimer or, even better, a patrick swayze. [ laughter ] that's the kind of atmosphere the trump inner circle fostered, and now it's taken hold of virtually the entire republican party. it's a movement fully enthralled to trumpism, which is why we have to investigate what they did and make sure it never happens again. especially since trump keeps teasing another run in 2024. because there were times when trump was so abjectly, brazenly, criminally - >> stupid. [ laughter ] >> seth: this has been "a closer look." ♪ [ cheers and applause we'll be right back with gayle king, everybody! ♪
12:52 am
>> announcer: for more of seth's "closer looks," be sure to subscribe to "late night" on youtube. ♪ best of my love” by black pumas feat. sofia reyes ♪ what the holidays give, is meant to be shared. it's the new traditions that lift us up, and the way our celebrations are prepared. it's making room for all... so that our world doesn't feel so small. it's when moments of light bring us closer than before... and illuminate those we do it for. what we value most, shouldn't cost more. [ music ends ] ♪♪ ♪♪
12:53 am
good morning! maria! getting that fiber in. nice! ah, the miller's. rising and shining! that's a bright idea. with high fiber and plump juicy raisins kellogg's raisin bran gives any day a sunny start. some people have joint pain, plus have high blood pressure. they may not be able to take just anything for pain. that's why doctors recommend tylenol®. it won't raise blood pressure the way that advil® aleve® or motrin® sometimes can. for trusted relief, trust tylenol®. ♪ ♪
12:54 am
♪i put in the work all day i put in the work all day♪ ♪them man are doing this thing part time♪ ♪no i'm doing this thing all day♪ ♪i put in the work all day i put in the work all day♪ ♪look, no i don't care what you think or say♪ ♪i put in the work all day♪ ♪ ♪ ♪i put in the work all day♪ we make sit-down chicken... ...stand-up chicken... backyard chicken... ...oops chicken... ...lots-a-time chicken... ...no-time chicken. if there's one thing we know, it's chicken, chicken and chicken. more choices. more wow. more to love. tyson. the classic hollywood story. we meet the hero, the all-new nissan frontier hero faces seemingly impossible challenge. tension builds... the plot twist the hero prevails
12:55 am
in hollywood, this would be the end. but our here, we are just getting started. introducing the all-new nissan frontier. ♪ [ cheers and applause >> seth: give it up everybody for the fantastic 8g band right over there [ cheers and applause back again with us tonight on drums, he's a veteran touring musician who has now started his
12:56 am
own company, jam card, designed to empower, develop, and employ professional musicians his new sample pack "all in drums" is available now on splice for more information, please check out elmolovano.me. elmo lovano is here, everybody thank you for being here, elmo [ cheers and applause >> thank you thanks, everybody. >> seth: our guest tonight is a co-host of "cbs mornings," host of the sirius xm show "gayle king in the house," and the editor at large of "oprah daily. the winter issue of "o quarterly," which features the 25th anniversary of oprah's favorite things, is on stands now. please welcome back to the show, our friend gayle king, everybody. [ cheers and applause ♪ ♪
12:57 am
>> seth: welcome back! >> god, there's people >> seth i know [ cheers and applause >> it's so nice to see people! oh, my god, seth i don't know about you i was just saying to your team backstage, it's so nice to have people in the house. i'm so glad to see you people. and then you go through what to wear >> seth: yeah. >> because do you dress up, do you dress down you know, my makeup artist said to me, "could you please wear something fun instead of what you normally wear? because seth is fun. >> seth: thank you >> so i tried to be sparkly and fun. >> seth: i'm glad you wore your seth clothes >> these are my seth clothes >> seth: and you did me the great courtesy of being a zoom guest in the time where we weren't having guests -- >> yes >> seth: so it's so nice to see you again in person. >> i feel that, too. >> seth: and do you feel like things -- i know you're in a new studio >> we're in a new studio in times square we like that >> seth: that's great. >> there's a new co-host, nate burleson, like him. >> seth: he's wonderful. he's a super sharp guy >> he is he's very dapperly dressed he's very well, he's very smart. we're having a good time but i feel that, you know, last time, i was at home, you were at home and i kept thinking there's a light at the end of the tunnel i still feel that. >> seth: yes >> i still feel that because
12:58 am
nobody, seth, nobody wants to go back to the way it was >> seth: no. >> we are not going back to the way it was >> seth: we will not go back to the way it was >> no. [ applause ] >> seth: and i think one of -- you know, i remember last year around this time, it sort of dawned i think on a lot of us, "oh, maybe i won't travel for the holidays maybe i'm not going to see my family for thanksgiving. >> and we didn't, yeah >> seth: and it does feel a little bit more optimistic in regards to that this year. and it's really nice to have -- i can't believe this is the 25th year of "favorite things. >> you know, this started 25 years ago so just think about oprah for a second so it went from the magazine to the tv show to now we're on digital, "oprah daily. it started 25 years ago because somebody sent her a pair of pajamas that she liked >> seth: that was it >> that was it karen neuburger. because she liked oprah, she sent - and oprah believes that life is always better when shared. don't you think? always better when shared? >> seth: yes [ applause ] >> so she decided that she would give the pajamas away. but anybody who makes a "favorite things" list, you had to agree to give it to the whole studio audience. that was 300 plus people that's how it started.
12:59 am
>> seth: and people agree -- i mean, i would assume that's a pretty good trade. >> but you'd be surprised, seth. there's a couple of people said, "no, we can't do that. >> seth: really? >> they shall remain nameless. >> seth: wow forever, by the way. >> yes >> seth: they're out of business that's why they're nameless. >> i really do want to tell you, because i'm like, "what? yeah >> seth: did you bring anything for us this time >> yes, because seth, i'm so nuts about you >> seth: thank you >> i love your wife alexi. he's got two adorable boys, ashe and axel >> seth: that's it >> okay, so, the list -- can i just say something about the list over 110 items it's the biggest list we've ever had. and we decided to focus on women business, business of people of color, and small businesses. >> seth: that's businesses run by babies. [ laughter ] >> business -- so this is -- i should have let you open it. this is the honest company from jessica alba >> seth: oh, my god. oh, yeah, we love jessica alba >> don't we love her >> seth: yeah. these are great. >> aren't these cute guys? >> seth: very cute >> so we got a set for you >> seth: okay. >> for your lovely wife. and for your two sons. and for frisbee, there's a matching bandana >> seth: really? [ audience aws ]
1:00 am
>> isn't that good i think so, too! >> seth: now, this is very interesting. >> you guys are a good audience. i like that. [ laughter ] >> seth: so you got my boys two different colors >> yes, yes, yes >> seth: which means they're going to tear the [ bleep ] apartment apart. [ laughter ] >> but you can a-[ bleep ]-ford to fix it. [ laughter and applause >> seth: sold! >> okay, and - >> seth: sold. oh, this is -- all right >> this -- i really like this. >> seth: oh, my gosh >> and you better bleep that out, otherwise, i won't have a job. >> seth: oh, my god. i will, i will [ laughter ] >> okay, so this is -- >> seth: i don't think my wife is going to wear it. [ laughter ] >> seth -- do we dare ask, audience, what goes on at his house? [ laughter ] that he pulls out a dog leash? [ laughter ] i'm going to tell alexi. i'm going to tell alexi. okay, so this is from foggy dog. i think this is cool a bandana, a leash, and for the poody doody bags >> seth: oh, great >> because i know you clean up the poop >> seth: of course, absolutely >> i know you do >> seth: yeah.
1:01 am
i even when -- when i'm at work, they call and i go all the way back [ laughter ] this is a bandana for frisbee? >> yes, it's for frisbee >> seth: gorgeous. >> so frisbee got two things >> seth: that's really nice. >> so then, i thought this because the list goes from $13, which is an eye makeup palette, all the way to $2,000, which is a rower. i didn't bring the rower, but i did bring you -- >> seth: ooh >> da-da-da-da, when you're all dressed in your matching jammies -- >> seth: this is very lovely >> eastern standard waffles. >> seth: okay. [ audience oohs >> so it comes with -- isn't that good? >> seth: yeah. >> it comes -- all you got to do -- put it in the oven you've got several different toppings caramel, my favorite fudge, strawberry. >> seth: and we -- actually, this is really nice that we brought -- >> in the magic of television, here it is >> seth: because we're going to have a little there, yeah. so - >> here it is. >> seth: so that's caramel sauce and that's - >> and caramel is my favorite. >> seth: dark fudge sauce, great. and this won't make a mess or anything, and we could just have a conversation >> see, i come bringing gifts for you, seth. >> seth: it's very nice. i -- >> i do. [ light laughter ] >> seth: i got you this pencil [ laughter ] >> god, for my very own? >> seth: it's your very own. but you got something -- you got
1:02 am
something, a better gift than i could ever give you this year. >> oh, yeah. i'm so excited about this. >> seth: you had a grandson. >> i have a grandson >> seth: your grand -- so your daughter - >> i am somebody's grandmother [ cheers and applause >> seth: i don't know which -- all right. i will start with this this is a very cute photo. >> yes, yes, yes this is me and my favorite daughter kirby [ audience aws ] >> seth: yeah. >> now favorite grandson luca. and this is slater >> seth: mm-hmm. >> everybody has to color coordinate our outfits [ laughter ] but there really is something. you know, i remember my grandmother. she seemed a little old, and i don't feel old at all. there's something about seeing your own child become a parent that i don't even know how to explain. listen, i'm not the first person that has a grandchild. i get it but god, once it happens to you, it's like, i want to show you all the pictures >> seth: well this one, i really - i'm really happy - >> this is his halloween costume. >> seth: yeah. [ audience aw's >> pillsbury dough boy >> seth: what i like about this is my kids are now at the age where you put them in their halloween costume, and all it is when you take the photo, they're at the age where you're like, "smile, smile! and trying to get both of them to smile at the same time is an impossibility. whereas this is such a fun age because all you have to worry about is just propping them. [ laughter ] >> no, that's true, and that's
1:03 am
what we did. [ laughter ] we propped him, then the hand came out and you take the picture. that's exactly right [ laughter ] no, lesley stahl did a book about grandparents, and we had her on and i read it i thought, "this is a very lovely book. but now, i want to go back and read it again. >> seth: yeah. >> because i think it will have a total different meaning. >> seth: now do you -- >> may we all feel the love that we all feel for this child, honest to god. >> seth: my -- so, my parents sometimes feel as though we are too strict, the parents. you know, we're too strict to them insofar as how they, you know, treat the kid and what they do. have you gotten in trouble with your daughter yet? >> well, it's funny you should say that [ light laughter ] funny you should say that, because i took a picture of luca >> seth: mm-hmm. >> do you have it? >> seth: i think we have this one. it's this one, right >> okay, yes okay >> seth: she had an issue with this photo >> she had an issue. now, guys -- >> seth: by the way, i want to note, i think luca did, too. [ laughter ] >> but here was the issue, because i was babysitting. listen, luca's only seven weeks old.
1:04 am
they live in l.a i've been to l.a. five out of the seven weeks. you think they're tired of seeing me? [ laughter ] "kirby and virgil, can i please come over? listen, i try to follow their instructions >> seth: yeah. >> so i just thought that would be a cute picture and she came home and she said, you know, "you didn't put him in properly." i said, "kirby, i just put him in to take the picture." she said, "well, we don't do that if you're going to do it, we like that he's put in properly." >> seth: yeah. >> even if -- i said, "but i was just taking a picture. "doesn't matter. he has to be put in properly." so listen, i'm going to follow all the instructions i'm trying not to be that guy. but it's very -- you know, i raised two children. >> seth: you don't want to be the first grandmother to have a restraining order. [ laughter ] >> seth, i raised two children i think i did okay [ laughter ] but listen, it is a note to self you have to take your lead from them >> seth: yes >> you do have to take -- hey, what do your kids call your mom and your dad what do they call them >> seth: oh, that's a very good question so my parents -- >> because i don't want to be called grandma or nana >> seth: we had a jackpot, because my parents talked so long about what they wanted to be called, and it was idiotic. like, my mom was like, "i think i want to be mumu because my grandmother was swedish. and it's like the first time hearing that, and i'm like,
1:05 am
"you're not going to be mumu, what are you talking about?" [ laughter ] so then -- >> i've met your mom, she's lovely >> seth: she is lovely, but they were -- they were approaching this wrong then my oldest, the first time he said grandpa -- >> yeah. >> seth: -- he pronounced it ponka. >> ponka >> seth: and so, we call -- my parents are the ponkas that's just it [ laughter ] >> see, i like that. >> seth: yeah. >> i like that >> seth: and they're larry and hillary. and so, they're "ponka yary" and "ponka hurry," and it's perfect. [ laughter ] and they're growing up >> see, that's good! >> seth: it's absolutely -- it's organic and natural. and so, i like that you're trying to decide what you're going to be called, but i think you got to let them -- >> some -- yeah, people keep saying they'll make up their own name but i have had some suggestions, seth >> seth: do you get suggestions from you know who? >> well, the suggestion i have for myself is gaia, which by the way guys, means mother earth and it kind of sounds like gayle >> seth: yeah, okay. >> so -- but i don't want to be called gayle by my grandchild. >> seth: yeah. >> so i came up with gaia, which i thought was very nice. oprah -- you all know her. >> seth: yeah. [ laughter ] she suggested oprah. [ laughter ]
1:06 am
>> that's good well, she's very opinionated she said, "gaia, that sounds pretentious. do you guys think it sounds pretentious? [ audience responds >> kind of >> seth: it's a little -- it's a little pretentious [ laughter ] >> do you think so see, oh, seth, god, you're hurting me and then, kirby said, favorite daughter kirby said, "mom, that's very extra. so i had said, "gaia." i was walking down the street on eighth avenue, and a woman walked up to me and she said, "i don't know what's wrong with you. i hear you want to be called --" she said, "giane or whatever you want to call yourself. what's wrong with 'grandma'? and then, she just turned around and walked up. the way she said, "giane or whatever you want to call yourself, that don't even make no sense what's wrong with 'grandma'? and then, she just walked up thank you, ma'am it's so nice to meet you [ laughter ] so, so, wait a second, seth. i'm being very serious about that you think it sounds pretentious? >> seth: i think gaia -- i think the fact that gaia means mother earth is the problem with it [ laughter ] >> but seth, that's what i thought -- >> seth: i mean, i would go with like go-go
1:07 am
like, it shouldn't have -- it shouldn't have a meaning >> but seth, i thought that that was endearing. >> seth: mm-hmm. well, look, you -- [ laughter ] gayle. >> guys, don't encourage him [ laughter ] don't encourage him. >> seth: if you leave with anything today, it's this -- you can't win them all [ laughter ] >> okay, well, maybe i'll be, what is it, ponka? >> seth: ponkas. ponka. we want ponka to take up ponka gayle. >> okay, ponka all right. >> seth: all right, i have a - i want to give you one last opportunity. i want to make up for the fact that i have not supported you on gaia >> yeah. >> seth: taylor swift is coming here tomorrow. >> tomorrow. >> seth: you missed her by a day. >> do you know how much i like taylor swift >> seth: i do know how much you like her >> i've been to four of taylor's concerts i really like her. when she was sending out those cardigan sweaters, did you get one? i did. >> seth: i did not [ laughter ] >> i did [ audience ohs ] >> seth: point, gaia [ laughter ] >> oh, but i like her so much. >> seth: she's lovely. >> i like her so much, yes >> seth: and -- but i want to give you the opportunity >> and she's here tomorrow >> seth: she's here tomorrow >> and i'm here today. >> seth: you're here today >> thanks, seth. >> seth: you're welcome. >> thanks mike, thanks thanks but i'm really glad to see you
1:08 am
>> seth: but you want -- i wanted to give you an opportunity to leave something for taylor >> okay, this is what i was thinking >> seth: okay. >> because you like the pajamas so much -- >> seth: yeah. >> i actually have a matching pair, too. >> seth: okay, i think it's on the other side of you. >> where is it >> seth: on the other side right over there >> okay, good. >> seth: right >> so i thought, when she comes, and seth, i would like an on-camera presentation >> seth: okay, gotcha. >> you guys know that's not happening. [ laughter ] >> seth: yeah. >> i would like an on-camera presentation to say gayle was here yesterday and she brought this for you >> seth: okay. >> and so, i thought it would be nice for her to have a pair of pajamas like you have and i have >> seth: okay, great >> then we could all come over to your place. >> seth: okay. >> me and taylor >> seth: i mean, it sounds good. >> for breakfast >> seth: i'm just -- i don't want you to ever say that i lied to you so i'm going to tell you now, i will tell her it's from both of us [ laughter ] >> okay. fair enough. >> seth: gaia king, everybody. [ cheers and applause mother earth the winter issue of "o quarterly" is on sale now, and oprah's "favorite things" are also available at oprahdaily.com and amazon we'll be right back with david copperfield. [ cheers and applause ♪
1:09 am
(vo) singing, or speaking. reason, or fun. daring, or thoughtful. sensitive, or strong. progress isn't either or progress is everything. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ make your holiday dreams come true. at t.j. maxx, marshalls and homegoods.
1:10 am
spray, lift, skip, step. swipe, lift, spin, dry. slam, pan, still...fresh move, move, move, move aaaaand still fresh. degree. ultimate freshness activated when you move.
1:11 am
we gave new zzzquil pure zzzs restorative herbal sleep ultimate freshness to people who were tired of being tired. i've never slept like this before. i've never woken up like this before. crafted with clinically studied plant-based ingredients that work naturally with your body. for restorative sleep like never before. theo is saving big, holiday shopping at amazon. so now, he's free to become, thoughtful theo. and he's got a gift for everyone. woman: i have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. so thoughtful. now, there's skyrizi. with skyrizi, 3 out of 4 people achieved 90% clearer skin at 4 months
1:12 am
after just two doses. skyrizi may increase your risk of infections and lower your ability to fight them. before treatment, your doctor should check you for infections and tuberculosis. tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms, such as fevers, sweats, chills, muscle aches, or coughs or if you plan to or recently received a vaccine. ♪ nothing is everything. ♪ woman: talk to your dermatologist about skyrizi. learn how abbvie could help you save.
1:13 am
♪ [ cheers and applause >> seth: our next guest is an iconic illusionist who's won 21 emmys, earned 11 guinness world records, and has been named a living legend by the u.s. library of congress his book "david copperfield's history of magic" is available now. get your copy before it disappears [ laughter ] please welcome to the show the always great david copperfield [ cheers and applause hello, david >> how are you, how are you? >> seth: i'm doing very well i want to begin by asking -- >> i'm changing my name to gaia, by the way [ laughter ] >> seth: it's a very hot name right now. getting in on the ground floor is a good idea what is the difference, david, between an illusionist and a magician
1:14 am
>> well, my joke is, "you call yourself an illusionist, you get to make 20% more." [ laughter ] which is true. >> seth: so, it's sort of like a classy magician. >> that's right. >> seth: now, i will speak to the fact that i've seen your show live. not only was it incredibly memorable, even was made more so by the fact that i was there for andy samberg's bachelor party. and then afterwards, we went backstage, and you had a very specific illusion built just for andy >> i did well, what happened was i was shocked that you guys were there. because you know, bachelor party, you have strippers or david copperfield. [ laughter ] hmm. okay, david copperfield. perfect. so i'm doing the show, and backstage my whole crew is building a dick in the box box [ laughter ] because andy was there and you know, they're crafting it, the glue is drying, and the show is over with. and i come backstage, you were very kind to come backstage to say, "hello. and we levitated a box with my magic.
1:15 am
>> seth: here is a floating dick in the box [ laughter ] [ applause ] fantastic. so you have -- over the years, you've basically built a museum of magic you are in it right now. it is your sort of self-curated museum it is not open to the public one of the reasons is there are so many secrets that would be revealed if people saw it. so, now you've put together this book, which is sort of a peek inside was it fun to sort of pick out your favorite pieces, and tell the back story of them >> it was awesome. because there's so many stories of the ladies and gentlemen who informed this art form and the art form of magic has really influenced art, influenced design, influenced robotics, technology, incredible things the first smart home to exist was a magic effect robert-houdin, his actual house -- the door is behind me there -- is a door that opens up, you know, by magic and now every grocery store, you
1:16 am
know, every cvs we go, you know, to get the shot, you go through that [ laughter ] that was a trick at the time so all kinds of things were affected by magic. and then i get to tell those stories in a really wonderful way. at this museum, you know, we've had, you know, guillermo del toro will be here. he'll get very emotional because the cinema was invented as a magic effect movies was a magic trick and george melies took that magic effect, and made it into something that we could tell stories with so, so much of what we live in our life has been prototyped by magicians. >> seth: do you remember the first trick you did? was magic something that had come to you at a very young age? >> i made my teacher disappear [ laughter ] i was very popular but she came back, and all my street cred was lost [ laughter ] >> seth: you -- this is a true story, but seems like it shouldn't be the secrets to your tricks are hidden somewhere so that whenever you are gone,
1:17 am
people could look and read your secrets. where have you hidden the secrets to your tricks [ light laughter ] >> on the moon >> seth: on the moon is a real answer >> yeah. >> seth: how did you get them to the moon >> well, what happened was, we're able to put them on nickel discs. the arc mission -- my friends at the arc mission were able to etch my secrets into nickel disks. and nickel doesn't degrade that element doesn't degrade it will be there for a billion years. and those discs with all my secrets were sent to the moon in an israeli lander. unfortunately, it didn't land nice it landed -- it crash landed [ laughter ] but the things don't -- they still exist. they're on the moon there. a little harder to find, but some day if you are on the moon, and you have a metal detector and a microscope, you can actually see my magic. in fact, we're going to try again with those secrets, and the book so the book, and my secrets will go on the moon so if you don't buy the book, someday you can go to the moon and actually read the book on the moon [ laughter ]
1:18 am
>> seth: are you worried that if an alien race ever found that first, they would think earth was just a planet of magicians [ laughter ] >> that's true and it would kill my career. [ laughter ] >> seth: is it true that you were once held up at gunpoint, and did a trick to get out of it >> yeah. that was a pretty stupid day i was held up at gunpoint with my crew, in fact about six of us were there they held a gun to our faces and everyone gave their passports and their money, smartly. i stupidly, just by instinct, did what magicians call a pocket dodge. which is we can show your pockets empty, and they're not really empty um, and, you know, i didn't want to give up my passport and my money. and i should have. but it worked out okay the criminals were caught, and i could have got my stuff back but if you're out there listening, and you're able to do the pocket dodge effect, don't do it. give them the money. [ laughter ] >> seth: now, obviously, in that moment it must have been heartbreaking because you probably realized they didn't recognize you as
1:19 am
david copperfield. [ laughter ] because i'll tell you if i had a gun, and asked david copperfield to empty his pockets, and he was like, "nothing!" i'd be like, "hold on. [ laughter ] i'm going to check them myself, copperfield. [ laughter ] >> i probably did that move. because to convince him, i was really somebody who had some talent [ laughter ] >> seth: this is very exciting you actually, not only have a history of magic in your museum, you have a piece of history from our show we actually referenced him tonight. you have the sea captain photo >> that's right. we've got the sea captain from your house, right here in 3d but he doesn't have a body >> what foul black magic is this >> he won't shut up. >> may every fish you ever eat have high mercury levels [ laughter ] >> i thought i'd make him disappear. is that okay with you? >> i won't go quietly, copperfield. you may banish me, but i will spend eternity haunting your soul
1:20 am
and if i can't find your soul, i'll take a ghost [ bleep ] in your lawn. [ laughter ] >> let's do this >> [ bleep ] you, david copperfield. [ laughter ] no, don't send me away i promise i'll be good [ applause ] >> he's still talking. >> i will have my revenge, copperfield. >> seth: oh, my god, david, thank you so much for finally getting rid of him for us. >> my pleasure my pleasure. [ applause ] >> seth: david copperfield, everybody. "david copperfield's history of magic" is available now. we'll be right back with music from aurora. [ cheers and applause ♪ okay davey. good game. you gonna be on tonight? yeah, definitely. cool, see ya later. pass it! pass it!
1:21 am
yeah!!! you wanna play one more after this? yeah! one more! got him! yeah!!! hahahaha ha! hah- ha! oi! keep it down! no! you keep it down! sorry, neighbors. i can't stand mine either. will is saving big, holiday shopping at amazon. so now, he's free to become, wonderland will. deck the halls with printer paper! recycled of course. with clean, fresh ingredients, panera's new chicken sausage and pepperoni flatbread is a mouthwatering explosion of yes. craft? yes! heartiness? yes! living life to the flavor-fullest? heck yes. panera. live your yes. now $1 delivery.
1:22 am
♪♪ you pour your heart into everything you do, which is a lot. so take care of that heart with lipton. because sippin' on unsweetened lipton can help support a healthy heart. lipton. stop chuggin'. start sippin'.
1:23 am
motrin works fast to stop pain where it starts. like those nagging headaches. uncomfortable period pains. and disruptive muscle aches. you can count on fast, effective relief with motrin. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ make your holiday dreams come true. at t.j. maxx, marshalls and homegoods. alright, here we go, miller in motion. wha — wait, wait, is that a... baby on the field?? it looks like it, craig. and the defensive linemen are playing peek-a-boo. i've never seen anything like that before. harris now appears to be burping the baby. that's a great moment right there. the ref going to the rule book here. what, wait a minute! harris is off to the races! we don't need any more trick plays. touchdown!!
1:24 am
but we could all use more ways to save. are you kidding me?? it's going to be a long bus ride home for the defense. switch to geico for more ways to save.
1:25 am
hi honey! hi mommy! oh i missed you! you just want to video call the kids. ok. hush little baby...don't say a word... but if slow upload speeds turns your goodnight call into an accidental horror movie... can you hear me? shut it down. just remember. you're not a bad mom. you just need better internet. at&t fiber delivers faster upload speeds for more reliable video calls. get at&t fiber, plans starting at $35 a month for a year. limited availability in select areas. call 1.877.only.att. [ cheers and applause
1:26 am
♪ >> seth: performing "giving in to the love" off her highly-anticipated upcoming album "the gods we can touch," [ cheers and applause ♪ ♪ i'm losing my connectio i'm tired of the rules and your corrections i want to live my life ♪ ♪ be all of its pages and underline that i am not an ange 'cause if i'm not pure ♪ ♪ i guess that i'm too much i never know how to keep i keep in touc if i'll be somebody ♪ ♪ i'll never let my ski decide it for me i never had the worl
1:27 am
so why change for it ♪ ♪ i never had the world so why change for it giving into the love giving into the love ♪ ♪ giving into the lov the love the lov the love the love ♪ ♪ someone out there is tryin to find somebody whole who is not dying ♪ ♪ but everybody cries and nobody comfort the television lie and now my mind hurts ♪ ♪ and if i'm not love i guess that i am cursed i gotta know how to beat i beat it first ♪ ♪ if i'll be somebody i'll never let my skin decide it for me ♪ ♪ i never had the world so why change for it i never had the worl
1:28 am
so why change for it ♪ ♪ giving into the lov giving into the love giving into the love ♪ ♪ the lov the love the love the love ♪ ♪ giving into the lov giving into the love giving into the love ♪ ♪ the lov the love the love the love ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
1:29 am
♪ [ cheers and applause >> seth: aurora, everyone! "the gods we can touch" is out on january 21st. we'll be right back. [ cheers and applause ♪ (sha bop sha bop) ♪ ♪ are the stars out tonight? (sha bop sha bop) ♪ ♪ ♪ alexa, play our favorite song again. ok. ♪ i only have eyes for you ♪ we make sit-down chicken...
1:30 am
...stand-up chicken... backyard chicken... ...oops chicken... ...lots-a-time chicken... ...no-time chicken. if there's one thing we know, it's chicken, chicken and chicken. more choices. more wow. more to love. tyson. clerk: hello, how can i? more choices. sore throat pain? ♪honey lemon♪ try vicks vapocool drops. in honey lemon chill. for fast-acting sore throat relief. wooo vaporize sore throat pain with vicks vapocool drops. ♪ happy so happy ♪ ♪ let's hit the open road ♪ ♪ camp without a tent ♪ ♪ talk without a phone ♪ ♪ kick off your boots ♪ ♪ cook something new ♪ ♪ the meeting just started ♪ careful you're on mute. ♪ catch a snuggle bug ♪ ♪ warm-up your buns ♪
1:31 am
♪ bring your friend dave and the only song he knows ♪ ♪ host a movie night ♪ ♪ get your zen on ♪ ♪ nice to feel at home ♪ ♪ everywhere you go ♪ good morning! maria! getting that fiber in. nice! ah, the miller's. rising and shining! that's a bright idea. with high fiber and plump juicy raisins kellogg's raisin bran gives any day a sunny start. spray, lift, skip, step. swipe, lift, spin, dry. slam, pan, still...fresh move, move, move, move aaaaand still fresh. degree. ultimate freshness activated when you move. ♪♪ ♪♪ ♪ best of my love” by black pumas feat. sofia reyes ♪ what the holidays give, is meant to be shared. ♪♪
1:32 am
it's the new traditions that lift us up, and the way our celebrations are prepared. it's making room for all... so that our world doesn't feel so small. it's when moments of light bring us closer than before... and illuminate those we do it for. what we value most, shouldn't cost more. [ music ends ]
1:33 am
1:34 am
♪ [ cheers and applause >> announcer: the audience is back at "late night. come join us live in studio 8g for tickets head over to latenightsethtickets.com for more "late night," follow us on instagram, twitter, and tiktok @latenightseth. be sure to check us out on youtube, facebook, and over at latenightseth.com. subscribe to the "late night podcast," featuring "a closer look" and more available on apple, spotify, google, or wherever you listen to podcasts. ♪
1:35 am
1:36 am
1:37 am
[ cheers and applause ♪ >> seth: i want to thank my guests, gayle king, david copperfield, aurora, everybody! [ cheers and applause i want to thank elmo lovano and the 8g band. stay safe. get vaccinated we love you. [ cheers and applause ♪ ♪ right now at 11:00, is it a winter covid surge and is it headed our way?
1:38 am
doctors warn the cases

95 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on