Skip to main content

tv   America Reports With John Roberts Sandra Smith  FOX News  November 24, 2021 10:00am-12:00pm PST

10:00 am
the winslet girl should've gotten off that door and may be taken. julie dicaprio, that sounds good. >> we would have the same initials. >> nobody wants a sequel more than julie banderas. >> i want to be rose. >> thanks to everyone. here is "america reports." happy thanksgiving. >> sandra: fox news alert. chilling new details are emerging in the waukesha christmas parade attack. alleging the suspect showed no emotion as he intentionally ran down that crowd, even driving in a zigzag pattern, we are told, to hit as many people as possible. hello, everyone. welcome. i'm sandra smith in new york. >> trace: hello to you. good day. i'm trace gallagher in los angeles and for john roberts. it's a far cry from initial reports that he was trying to
10:01 am
outrun police as prosecutors that he was trying to kill. the attack taking another heartbreaking turn as the officials confirmed the death of a sixth victim. jackson sparks was 6 years old. coaches say jackson was a sweet and talented boy with a contagious smile. jackson's brother was also hurt. speak to his brother was 12 years old. the man police say is responsible appeared in court for the very first time tuesday, facing five counts of first-degree intentional homicide. prosecutors say that his sixth homicide charge will be added in as we have reported this occurred while darrell brooks was freed from jail on $1,000 bond as he faced assault charges. he's being held on $5 million cash bail. >> trace: senior correspondent mike tobin was on the scene hours after the attack. he joins us once again from
10:02 am
waukesha, wisconsin. mike. >> wisconsin doesn't have an old veil option. the waukesha county district attorney promised that she would set bail high enough that brooks would not get out again and that's why you see the $5 million bill that was required yesterday. darrell brooks appeared in court wearing a suicide prevention suit and a covid mask. he looked down. he seemed to rock and shake a little bit at the defense table. the six count of intentional homicide is a matter of doing paperwork, as 8-year-old jackson sparks died of his injuries. county commissioners of the bill was unusually high but in this case it was reasonable. >> there are not words to describe the risk that this defendant presents our community. not only slight risk but the danger he presents, his history of violence. >> doorbell video show brooks arrived at the home of daniel rider about 20 minutes after the
10:03 am
attack. he claimed he was waiting for an uber. daniel rider didn't know about the attack and he made brooks a sandwich. police arrived at the location and took brooks into custody. court records show just how deliberate the attack was. police detective first encountered the red suv as it drove through the police barricades, detective pounded on the hood, got a look at brooks, told him to stop. he was going that slow. as the suv got closer to the people, it only sped up from there. more information about the november 2nd attack in which brooks is accused of punching and then running over the mother of his child. we knew at the time she had tire tracks on her leg or tire marks on her leg. further detail, we know that she suffered a dislocated femur and a broken ankle. that was the case in which brooks' bond was reduced only a thousand dollars and he got out and got access to that vehicle again. >> trace: mike tobin live on the ground pressing waukesha,
10:04 am
thank you. >> sandra: progressive prosecutors are coming under fire for their approach to the justice system. the milwaukee county d.a. acknowledged he set an inappropriately low bail amount, allowing the waukesha suspect back on the streets. he's also the inspiration for another district attorney who is under pressure. he says his office has filed felony charges against nine people at a louis vuitton and burglaries at walgreens and a canvas dispensary. the crime spree amounting to more than a million dollars in stolen merchandise. california's looting problem is not confined to the bay area. at least 20 people rated and nordstrom store in los angeles monday night. governor gavin newsom has vowed to crack down on organized retail earnings despite a 2014
10:05 am
law prohibiting prosecutors charging shoplifters with felonies. $950 or less. trace, you spent a lot of time in california. it's been a mess for a long time. seems to be getting worse. questions about what it's going to be done about it. >> trace: people are fed up, in san francisco. you have left-wing prosecutors who are no the focus of a recall campaign because people are like, we are up to here with the crime. >> sandra: it's not just california. new york is dealing with the problem. to a point where some of these stores can't reopen their doors. it's a mess. >> trace: we have keen insight they are going to want to stick around for what he thinks is happening with all of this.
10:06 am
meantime president biden spending thanksgiving on the island of nantucket and massachusetts. the president, who likes to spotlight his working-class roots will be staying at his family's -- not his families -- but with his family at a $30 million oceanfront compound owned by a d.c. beltway billionaire. this comes as americans are spending large amounts of their paychecks on soaring gas and food prices. tomorrow families across the country will be spending 14% more their thanksgiving feast compared to last year. we have fox team coverage on all this. bill mcgurn is here to discuss the president's handling of the economy. we begin with white house correspondent jacqui heinrich traveling with the president in nantucket. >> good afternoon. the same day president biden tapped the nation's strategic petroleum reserve, the emergency stockpile for oil, to mitigate these high prices and crippling
10:07 am
inflation. he went to nantucket to spend the holiday in his billionaire businessman friend's compound. david rubenstein inviting the biden family to stay at his estate. estimated to be worth more than $30 million. the white house did make sure to mention the president has stayed with rubenstein before and for context past presidents have stated wealthy friends over the holidays. president clinton with the democratic donor on martha's vineyard for one example. critics say that this day with the economy in a tough place shows president biden is out of touch with the problems facing working-class americans even as he tries to show them that he relates. the american farm bureau federation found last week the average cost for thanksgiving dinner of ten people reached an all-time high this year, up 14% from 2020. turkey per pound is up nearly 9%. potatoes are up 20%. onions 32% cranberries a little over 2%. lettuce is up nearly 12%.
10:08 am
>> moms and dad are worried, asking, will there be enough food we can afford to buy for the holidays? will we be able to get christmas presents to the kids on time? if so, will it cost me an arm and a leg? families can rest easy. >> they white house started improvements in supply chain supply-chain bottlenecks and availability of goods. ominous language are on the of inflation saying congestion will take years. also calling "the ocean shipping cartel a cause for price hikes. president doubted lower unemployment claims but said there's work left before the economy is back to normal, pitching his social spending plan is a solution writing "it's why it's so critical of the senate passes the bill back better act which according to leading economists will cut costs for american families without adding to price pressures." 1.75 trillion that's headed to the senate would be paid for in
10:09 am
part by raising taxes on corporations on the very rich, like biden's friends whose home he staying at. >> trace: jacqui heinrich, thank you. we do let's bring in "the wall street journal" asked columnist bill mcgurn. happy thanksgiving. as we have been covering it. it's affecting every american family. go to the grocery store. using the spike in prices. they are shrinking the package or the box for the bag and putting less stuff in there. keeping the price the same. still inflation. which longer can this go on? before this becomes a big midterm political issue. rising gas prices and rising food prices. >> i think it's already an issue. the republicans just added 13 more democrats targeting on this issue. about the most expensive thanksgiving. as you have suggested, the
10:10 am
reason it's so damaging is that everyone feels inflation. i have two girls just out of college. they feel it. they are paying an extra 20 bucks when they fill up their car each time. they feel it when they go to the grocery store and they bring home a bag that costs a lot more than it did last year. what if they heard? for a year -- not a year, a couple months. these are the biden people who told us it's not really a problem. it's a high-class problem or something. now it's a top priority but they are saying maybe next year and the second half it will go away. it better. i think it's the biggest problem democrats have. they have some pretty big problems. i speak to the president has called a lid already today. earlier this morning. off to nantucket for the holiday weekend. he will be staying in a massive compound of a billionaire. peter doocy in the white house briefing room yesterday asked about how the american people should feel about that when some
10:11 am
are struggling to put food on the table. >> what message does it send to middle-class americans. president biden says he's trying to help. struggling to cover the most expensive thanksgiving ever, that that president is going to take a few days off at a billionaire's compound in nantucket. >> any increase in prices is something the president is concerned about. i want to be clear there are an abundance of turkeys available. they are about a dollar more for a 20-pound bird which is a huge bird, if you're feeding a very big family. >> sandra: almost to dismiss all of the higher prices that people are paying. it's not just a dollar. a dollar here and there, it adds up. we can put the notable price increases for the thanksgiving staples on your screen. if you're buying a 16-pound turkey, prices are up 24%. everything is going to cost more. bread, generals, cranberries. pie shells. frozen pie shells. making the real pie shell takes hours. up 14%.
10:12 am
that's a double-digit increase. that something people feel. to your point. >> yeah. i don't care where president biden passes thanksgiving dinner. i don't care who's table he's at. what i care about is these policies. i think they are devastating. can't as i say, inflation hits every american. they feel it. they see it. when they hear denials. the reassurance they are getting that it's going to go away come from the same people who didn't predict it would be here in the first place. it wouldn't matter if you are having dinner with the billionaire. if things were humming but they're not humming. we are getting kind of crazy answers. he doesn't take questions because frankly that's the best thing the white house staff can do for him. they clearly don't think he's up to it, right? a lot of americans are concluding that and i think inflation is going to be the big
10:13 am
issue. there are a lot of other big issues, like crime and the president's handling of the border, afghanistan. inflation. it's also for this reason. joe biden's claim is that he's knocking to make anyone earning under 400,000 a year pay more for his build back better. but they are already paying in terms of inflation, watching their paychecks a road. that's a tax. what use to be called the cruelest tax. people are feeling it. >> sandra: those are tangible costs. we will all feel that this thanksgiving holiday. by the way, the president yesterday concluded that speech talking about the economy, didn't take a single question. there are a lot of questions to be asked, important ones. bill mcgurn, great to see you. enjoy your holiday and enjoy that turkey. >> thank you. you too. >> sandra: thank you very much. trace, i was listening to bill but i was looking at the video that we had ruling of people
10:14 am
scooping out -- there turkey on their plate. we have the video rolling. i'm hungry now. it's 1:00 on the east coast. real quickly, we talked about skyrocketing prices of turkey. the mainstream media has an answer for that, trace. another network, i believe this was two days ago, forgive me for playing it. this is what they are suggesting if you don't want to pay the high prices. listen. >> perhaps forgo the turkey. bear with me. i know it's the staple of the thanksgiving meal. however, some people think turkey is overrated. soap tends to be the most expensive thing on the table. maybe you do an italian feast instead. tell everyone you're having thanksgiving without turkey. some guests may drop off the list and that's a way to cut costs two. >> you can just cancel thanksgiving altogether and save yourself a bundle. with that school of thought. it's baffling. >> sandra: art laffer is going to be joining us.
10:15 am
phil flynn, oil trader extraordinaire. we will talk about the release of the strategic oil release. >> trace: day two of jury deliberations in the murder trial of three men accused of killing ahmaud arbery. we are on verdict watch with fox news crews live outside the courthouse. >> sandra: the crime crisis hitting america today. some people being opposed to the word looting. how so?
10:16 am
10:17 am
10:18 am
at heinz, every ketchup starts with our same tomatoes. but not every tomato ends in the same kind of heinz ketchup. because a bit of magic unfolds when there's a ketchup for everyone.
10:19 am
switching wireless carriers is easy with xfinity. just lean on our helpful switch squad to help you save because a bit of magic unfolds with xfinity mobile. they can help break up with your current carrier for you and transfer your info to your new phone. giving you a fast and easy experience that can save you hundreds a year on your wireless bill. visit your nearest xfinity store and see how the switch squad can help you switch and save. it's the xfinity black friday sales event. learn how to save up to $1000 on select phones by visitng your local xfinity store today. >> trace: critics slamming the so-called experts were advised against using the term looting to describe recent large-scale thefts from retail stores in california. the local abc affiliate in san francisco cited two people
10:20 am
he referred to as experts, a professor and a retired police officer who said the word could be associated with people of color and therefore should not be used. a biotech entrepreneur joins us, author of woke incorporated. great to have you on. san francisco police chief used this term. now are being told it's racist, you can call them looters. they are smashing grabbers. the question is, shouldn't we be more worried about the actual crimes than what we call the kinds? >> absolutely. it reveals a racist presupposition baked into the new wake of ideology. say looting is racist in part associates looters with people of a certain skin color. it's the same problem. i couldn't think of a more racist presupposition the first place in the name of fighting racism. i think it revealed the extent
10:21 am
to which wokeness is really just a form of a religion. certain words you can't say, clothes you can't wear, apologies you must recite, that's what it is at its essence. >> trace: whatever you call it, organize robbery, whatever. i'm wondering why the race thing got into it in the first place. you watch this video. most of these people are wearing full masks and gloves. you have no idea what race they are. if you call them looters, how the world are you being racist? >> there is a clever move baked into the new woke movement which is to conflate race, something as superficial as your skin color to being about your voice, your identity. congresswoman ayanna pressley said we don't want any more black or brown faces that don't want to be a black or brown voice. that means if you disagree with that voice without perspective, that audit trigger automatically makes you a racist. the irony is the only people who understand these verbal rules are the people who often don't
10:22 am
have to bear the consequences of the bad policies that they support. well educated people living in the suburbs aren't the ones who suffer the most when you actually have people were cleared from the jails but then go on to commit crimes in poor inner-city neighborhoods. >> trace: you talk about verbal jiu-jitsu. we've been down this road before. we did this with illegal immigration. they are not illegal immigrants, they are undocumented persons. it goes on from there but you look at federal law and federal law calls them illegal aliens and illegal immigrants. we have been fighting this battle for years. >> george orwell said it well. the way to control the mind of a society is to first control its language. that's what the woke movement is after. we conflate terms we shouldn't be conflating. the issue of border security of the southern border is a different issue from immigration itself. i think many of the ways in which not only the left but a lot of people as a consequent
10:23 am
use language and precisely. failing to solve the problems we need to solve instead of obsessing over how we talk about those problems in the first place. it's what i call blowing woke smoke. avoiding true accountability for actual policy failures we should be talking about instead. >> trace: blowing woke smoke. the video them smashing. we forget california has decriminalized anything less than $950 and theft. vikek ramaswamy, great to have you on. >> good to see you. >> sandra: thank you. jurors in the ahmaud arbery murder trial delivered and the fate of three white men for a second day in brunswick, georgia. comes as the nearly all-white jury, the source of contention. the 25-year-old black jogger scaling, viewed by many as an act of racial violence. steve harrigan is near the courthouse. i'm being told that a verdict has been reached. >> sandra there is
10:24 am
breaking news. seconds ago, from the share of note from the pool here that there has been a verdict reached. we expect moving in the courtroom over the next few minutes to learn the verdict. keep in mind this jury has been at it six hours last night, five hours this morning. they are trying to decide the fate of three white men with nine charges each against them. the most serious charges murder. murder with malice against 25-year-old black man ahmaud arbery. the defense has tried to make the claim that the three white men were making a citizen's arrest. they also claim that the admitted shooter fired in self-defense. travis mcmichael shot his gun and only one ahmaud arbery charged him with his fists. they say he was not a jogger but a burglar. the prosecution has countered that claim saying that arbery never stole anything. you can't make a citizen's arrest if no crime has been
10:25 am
committed. they try to make the case that it was the three white men who had two pickup trucks, a shotgun and a pistol and who pursued arbery for more than 5 minutes as he tried to escape. that they in fact were the aggressors. >> you can't claim self-defense if you are the unjustified initial aggressor, meaning if you started it. who started it? it wasn't ahmaud arbery. speak with the crowd is been very different from day-to-day. one afternoon we saw several dozen people in uniform with rifles. we've seen several hundred black pastors. right now the crowd is pretty small today, a lot of families out there. we've seen prayer vigils as well. calm outside the courthouse. minutes ago we heard from the share of that there has been a verdict reached and we will see if that's the case.
10:26 am
back to you. >> sandra: thank you. trace, we are going to take our viewers along here. we are expecting that this verdict could be read. perhaps you can elaborate on this. this could be read within the next 10 minutes or so we are told. that's because this morning. the sheriff's office office, the deliberations would continue into friday and saturday if necessary we were told. there was talk of the court recessing early on wednesday. that would be today, for thanksgiving. it would be up to the jury obviously. before leaving the bench this morning, the judge said "10 minutes notice" to the lawyers, indicating that perhaps when the jury said that they had come to a verdict that it would be 10 minutes before it would be read. is that your take away? >> it is. there's been a lot of speculation as to how close this jury is. keep in mind they had a lot of video to see. they could see the three shots being fired on video. it seems they were close last
10:27 am
night. the judge brought the jury for personnel, told them to keep working, and then let them go for the night. this jury is made of 11 whites, one black, nine women, three men. they have been at it almost 12 hours in a charge of murder against three men. those three men could be facing death or life imprisonment. their fate really hangs in the balance here as we await the jury to enter the room and tell us what they have decided. >> trace: is fascinating because one of the men there, roddie bryan, he's the one who took the videotape. his cell phone video following the mcmichaels as they were in the truck ahead of them. the question today the jury wanted to relook at some of that video. we thought because the same thing happened in the kyle rittenhouse case last week. the jury wanted to relook at some video and you're seeing some of that video. do we know in particular what
10:28 am
they were looking for? what portion? you didn't really show the actual shooting. what portion of that video if you know was a tree focused on. >> the jury did come out and ask for two things. they asked to see the video of the shooting at regular speed and they asked to hear the 911 call that the father made from the back of the pickup truck. we don't know what they were looking for exactly and in those two questions. >> sandra: steve, for anybody tuning in right now, we just got word about 2 minutes ago that the jury has reached a verdict. the jury has concluded deliberations and reached a verdict on the ahmaud arbery case. this is according to the sheriff's deputy which is how it typically happens. steve, before we get to jonathan turley just a moment as we expect perhaps this could be read moments from now, sort of set the scene as far as how the area has been preparing for this verdict. >> they have had a long time to
10:29 am
prepare. keep in mind, this shooting happened in 2020 in february. it has a strange history. there were no immediate arrests made. only after ten weeks were any arrests made. they were only made after this videotape came to light. the videotape was in fact made by one of the defendants, by roddie bryan. if that didn't happen, we might not even be here. he leaked the tape that now has him on trial for his life. as far as the mood here, it has swung rapidly back and forth. we have seen hundreds of black pastors here, peaceful families on prayer vigils. we have also seen several dozen people, members of the new black panther party with high-powered rifles in masks. we are not seeing it today. didn't see it yesterday. it's interesting what could happen here. my guess would be if there's a problem, if there is unrest, if there is an innocent verdict, there certainly will be unrest. but i doubt the focus would be here and in a town of 15,000,
10:30 am
brunswick, georgia. i think it could be elsewhere, atlanta and other major cities. that's just speculation. waiting to hear with the 12 jurors have to say. three counts of felony murder and murder with malice as well as imprisonment against three members of this community. many people testifying, neighbors testified. it's really been the focus of intense attention here and we'll see what the jury comes out and says. >> sandra: steve harrigan, keep us posted. we'll get back to you when news comes in. spiro let's bring in jonathan turley, constitutional law professor and fox news contributor. you look at this case and you kind of go back to the kyle rittenhouse case. prosecution did a really good job in the rittenhouse case. i'm sorry, the defense did a really good job in the rittenhouse case of beating up the prosecution's case. in this case, you have the defense case is not as strong and there's two factors, two reasons why. one, what they are saying is you
10:31 am
have to prove to make a citizen's arrest, you have to prove that a crime was committed. to prove self-defense, you have to prove you were in imminent danger. but they are saying here is that ahmaud arbery's fists were his weapons. he was going to beat up one of the defendants and then take the gun away and shoot them. what do you make of where the defense stands on this? >> you're absolutely right. the prosecution in this case is much stronger. they did a very good job laying this out for the jury. the real question in my mind is whether there might be a compromised verdict on the two nonshooters, greg mcmichael's hand bryan. bryan is the one who took the videotape and was behind the truck when the shooting occurred in his own truck. they charged all three individuals with murder.
10:32 am
that might have tied up the jury a bit. these are cases that really turn on framing. it's the job of the attorney, the defense attorney and the prosecutors, trying to frame the case in a way that's most beneficial. for the prosecutor, they want the jury looking at the final shooting all the way through the timeline of when the truck started to pursue arbery. that's the broad framing of it. if you take that perspective, it tends to lead you towards conviction. the defense wants you to freeze-frame on the encounter between mcmichaels and arbery. they are arguing citizens have a right to follow suspects in the neighborhood, confront people they think might be suspects and that when they did so, arbery grabbed the shotgun and it became a matter of self-defense. how one frames the case can have a huge impact on how you view
10:33 am
the crime. >> sandra: just making the point here, jonathan. this is the 14th day of the trial. the second day of jury deliberations and all of it. a 12 person jury. the deliberations began just yesterday. did you see this happening as quickly as it appears to be? >> it's a criminal -- as a criminal defense attorney are always worried about holidays. the jury would like to wrap things up before a holiday. it's hard to say which way that cuts. i think most defense attorneys view a verdict in a case like this, if it's rushed, to favor the prosecution. i'm not too sure that this verdict really depends on time. many people were horrified by what they saw. many of us looked at those trucks chasing arbery and it was breathtaking. it raised a lot of painful images, not just from the south but around the country, that had a racial meaning to it. the defense really had to try to
10:34 am
work through that shock effect, the initial shock to the video. the interesting thing is the jury has to look at the video again in real-time. the jury asked to look at the video again in real time. a lot of times you slow these things down, freeze-frame. the jury wanted to see it as it unfolded. it was a quick and tragically fatal encounter. the other thing i thought was interesting, they wanted to hear greg mcmichael's 911 call. that could lead to a question as to what his status really should be. they are hitting him with murder counts but he never pulled the trigger then he made that call to 911. it would be interesting if it's on greg mcmichael, that they had some difficulty. >> trace: you make a good point, setting the landscape of the people who haven't been following it. we are talking about travis mcmichael. he's 35 years old. he's a coast guard veteran. they talked up this trial, how
10:35 am
he learned how to respond to these things. we are seeing live video. the jury is about to come in. not hearing audio yet. are we going to listen to the judge? >> we will be able to hear him. >> trace: as soon as they turn the audio up, we will get the jury to come in and we will hear the judge and take it from there. nobody can see the jury so we don't know if they are seated at this point in time. of course we and the attorney sit down, we'll have a better idea. speak all right. ladies and gentlemen, welcome back. metaphor person, i understand you have reached a verdict as to each defendant. please hand your verdict forms to the sheriff.
10:36 am
all right. i am going to go ahead and address each one of these verdict form separately. the first verdict form i have is the state of georgia versus travis mcmichael. mr. mcmichael, please stand. the verdict is as follows.
10:37 am
glynn county, state of georgia, the state of georgia versus travis mcmichael. case number cr000433. the jury verdict form. count one. malice murder. we, the jury, find the defendant travis mcmichael guilty. can i ask that whoever just made that outburst the remove from the court please.
10:38 am
as this court has indicated, i asked that there be no outbursts and the court and i expect as much from the gallery. please respect the court's desire for this, as we move forward. if you feel like you need to make a comment or otherwise demonstrate with respect to the verdict, i do ask that you step out of the courtroom now. count two. felony murder. we, the jury, find the defendant travis mcmichael guilty. count three, felony murder. we, the jury, find the defendant travis mcmichael guilty. count four, felony murder. we, the jury, find the defendant travis mcmichael guilty. count five. felony murder. we, the jury, find the defendant travis mcmichael guilty. count six. aggravated assault. we, the jury, find the defendant travis mcmichael guilty. count seven, aggravated assault. we, the jury, find the defendant travis mcmichael guilty.
10:39 am
count eight, false imprisonment. we, the jury, find the defendant travis mcmichael guilty. count nine, criminal attempt to commit a felony. we, the jury, find the defendant travis mcmichael guilty. dated this 24th day of november, 2021, signed by the foreperson. have a seat. as to gregory mcmichael. in the superior court of glynn county, the state of georgia versus greg mcmichael, case number cr2000433. the jury verdict form. count one, malice murder. we, the jury, find the defendant greg mcmichael not guilty. count two, felony murder. we, the jury, find the defendant greg mcmichael guilty. count three, felony murder. we, the jury, find the defendant greg mcmichael guilty.
10:40 am
count four, felony murder. we, the jury, find the defendant greg mcmichael guilty. count five, felony murder. we, the jury, find the defendant greg mcmichael guilty. count six, aggravated assault. we, the jury, find the defendant greg mcmichael guilty. count seven, aggravated assault, we, the jury, find the defendant greg mcmichael guilty. count eight, false imprisonment. we, the jury, find the defendant greg mcmichael guilty. count nine, criminal attempt to commit a felony. we, the jury, find the defendant greg mcmichael guilty. this 24th day of november, 2021. signed by the foreperson. as to william r bryan. in the superior court of glynn county, state of georgia.
10:41 am
state of georgia versus william r bryan. the jury verdict form. count one, malice murder. we, the jury, find the defendant william r brian not guilty. count two, felony murder, we, the jury, find the defendant william r bryan not guilty. count three, felony murder. we, the jury, find the defendant william r bryan guilty. count four, felony murder. we, the jury, find the defendant william r bryan guilty. count five, felony murder. we, the jury, find the defendant william barr brian guilty. count six, aggravated assault. we, the jury, find the defendant william barr brian -- william r bryan. count seven, we, the jury, find the defendant william r bryan
10:42 am
guilty. count eight, false imprisonment. we find the defendant william r bryan guilty. criminal attempt to commit of felony, we, the jury, find the defendant william r. brian guilty. find this 24th of november. signed by the foreperson. the court having read the verdicts and accepted the vertex, anything from the state. anything from the defense? defendants asked that the jury be pulled? ladies and gentlemen, i'm going to ask each of you individually the set of two questions with respect to the verdict that i have just read. if you can please respond when you hear your juror number. juror number one, you have heard the verdicts read. were these your verdicts then and are these your verdicts now?
10:43 am
>> yes, sir. >> juror number two. you have heard the verdicts read. were these your verdicts then enter these your verdicts now? i can't. okay. juror number three. you've heard the verdicts read. were these your verdicts then and are these your verdicts now? >> yes. >> juror number four. you have heard the verdicts read. were these your verdicts then and are these your verdicts now? >> yes, sir. >> juror number five. you have heard the verdicts read. were these your verdicts then and are these your verdicts now pushing mark >> yes, your honor. >> juror number seven. you've heard the verdicts read. were these your verdicts then and are these your verdicts now? >> yes, your honor. >> juror number eight, you've heard the verdicts read. with these your verdicts then, and are these your verdicts now? >> yes, your honor.
10:44 am
>> juror number nine. you've heard the verdicts read. were these your verdicts then, and are these your verdicts now? >> yes, your honor. >> juror number ten. if you have heard the verdicts read. were these your verdicts then, and are these your verdicts now? people yes, your honor. >> juror number 11. you have heard the verdicts read. were these your verdicts then, and are these your verdicts now? >> yes, your honor. >> juror number 12. you have heard the verdicts read. were these your verdicts then, and are these your verdicts now? >> yes, your honor. >> juror 16. you've heard the verdicts read to. were these your verdicts then, and are these your verdicts now? >> yes. >> the jury has been pulled. anything further from the defense? mr. mcmichael. mr. bryan. ladies and gentlemen, what that
10:45 am
means with the court having accepted your verdict is that your role in this case is now at an end. what we are going to do today is going to have all of you, the panel and the three alternates retired to the jury room. i'm going to a address a couple matters with you in the jury room. before we do that, and before i excuse you, i do want to thank you publicly for your service here in glynn county. it has been a long trial and i appreciate the fact that you have been attentive. you have listened to the evidence. at that is what we ask in this court. it's a very simple ask in a very complex way. so it's appreciated. when we got together at different times, i said that i was going to thank you and number of times that i was going to tell you i truly appreciate your time here. hopefully you understand why i said that when we started. i do also hope that you got a little bit of an insight into what goes on in a trial and
10:46 am
maybe understand a little bit more of how important it is for members of our community to come down and be part of this process and serve as jurors in this community. again, thank you for that service and i will come address y'all in just a moment. you are excused. >> sandra: okay, after two days of deliberations, the jurors there have come to a verdict in this case. travis mcmichael, the first one read aloud there by the judge. this is arbery's mother, i am being told. arbery's mother was sitting in the courtroom reacting very emotionally as all of this was
10:47 am
read. travis mcmichael, the man who fatally shot ahmaud arbery was convicted of murder and found guilty on all counts against him. jonathan turley was joining us out of this coverage in the verdict has been reached. he's been listening with us. your reaction is travis mcmichael found guilty of malice murder. gregory mcmichael was found not guilty of that charge as well as william roddie bryan. >> the expected result given the weight of the evidence in the power of the videotape. the prosecutors alleged a series of lesser offenses, including aggravated assault, false imprisonment. the reason for that is those were the linchpins against felony murder. it turns out that was a very important tactic for the prosecution because the jury did find those lesser offenses and
10:48 am
once they did, since it's a felony, you could be found guilty of murder if you participated in that underlying crime and it resulted in the death of mr. arbery. so they ended up having sweeping convictions. there was a little bit different array of charges but they all impact the same way on these defendants. they're all looking at life in prison. >> trace: it's a great question because i was wondering, professor, they were reading the charges, how you had travis mcmichael who was guilty of malice murder. he was guilty all the way across the board. then you had gregory mcmichael not guilty of malice murder, guilty of felony and then you go onto "roddie" bryan who is not guilty of malice murder, not guilty of the first count of felony murder and guilty on the second count. why, what played into it being the second count? >> this was a belt-suspenders prosecution. they put up charges for each
10:49 am
insular lesser offense so you have aggravated assault, not just with the shotgun but also with the truck. you had fulsome imprisonment by cutting off arbery. basically the prosecution was spreading its bet. they only needed to nail one of those lesser offenses define the predicate felony to get felony murder. that paid off for the prosecution. it turned out the jury did not accept some of those lesser offenses but they only needed one. the result is really quite complete for the prosecution. they ran the table. they got convictions on all three men. bryan was the most difficult one. he was at a distance from the shooting and he was the person who videotaped the ultimate shooting. his defense counsel took a rather curious approach. he suggested that his client had been brought to the scene by "providence" making it sound
10:50 am
like it was god's hand that he followed them in the film the scene. the jury clearly did not think that he was there as god's messenger because he's convicted with these other two. the murder counts. >> sandra: i want to take in the scene outside the courthouse in brunswick, georgia, where there were preparations underway for quite some time ahead of the verdict being read after just two days of deliberations. the celebration there. a moment ago we were showing images of what we were told was arbery's family members. his mother was quite clearly in the courtroom, jonathan. the camera was on her for quite some time. she's been very outspoken during the course of this trial at points. i had to remind myself of her words, saying i let them dehumanize my son. she spoke out, she reacted to
10:51 am
one of the attorneys in the courtroom saying that the attorney was beyond rude, that the attorney was saying about her son. she appears quite emotional at times looking like she was nodding in agreement. she was the verdict -- the verdict being read. taking the scenes outside the courthouse. >> i agreed with her view of what the defense counsel said. it was a reference to the fact that her son had dirty toenails. he was viewed by many as -- it was viewed by many as a racist comment. it was certainly gratuitous, if it wasn't racist. it took her breath literally away. you could hear her gasp in the courtroom. many of us were really astounded by that statement. you could imagine what it's like to be a parent to see your son chased down by trucks and ultimately resulting of course in his death. so what i think this might happen now is the defense is going to appeal some of the
10:52 am
ruling by the judge. the judge delivered a real haymaker right before closing arguments on what is required to show a citizen's arrest. among other things he said that he believed a citizen's arrest required you to witness it or to respond immediately to this type of crime. he adopted a very narrow definition of that. i expect they will be challenging that. they may also challenge the definition for things like false imprisonment. but it's very difficult to reverse this type of case. there are very interesting analogies you can draw to the trayvon martin shooting. george zimmerman said he also followed a suspect who turned on him and tried to grab his gun. the difference, as you know, is there was no videotape. so there were two witnesses to that shooting and one of them was dead. the only one that survived was
10:53 am
the defendant, who was able to give testimony. this shows the power of videotape. by the way, so does rittenhouse. that case turned much on the videotape. we remain a visual species, videotapes are viewed as something that doesn't lie. i'm not surprised that this jury, like the rittenhouse jury, wanted to see that video again. >> trace: yeah, that's exactly right. professor, standby. we talk about the videotape here and we should note when the professor says that "roddie" bryan, he said it was divine intervention that brought him around to bring his cell phone up and start videotaping, that was part of the defense. want to bring in the former d.c. detective, defense attorney and fox news contributor. "roddie" bryan started videotaping it and that's how we have this videotape of the jury wanted to see again and again. the prosecutor said "this isn't
10:54 am
the wild west. if you're going to take the law into your own hands, you better know the law." in other words saying if you're going to make a citizen's arrest, you had better make sure that you knew this person was breaking the law. the intent from the prosecution was he was jogging. the defense saying he was burglarizing some local homes. they never proved that. that was a big piece of this. if you're going to make a citizen's arrest and you're going to imprison somebody with your truck, you better know exactly what you're doing. >> absolutely. what we saw in this case and one of the issues that we in this society are very sensitive about is the issue of race, and race was front and center in this case because the prosecution's position was that this was a young black kid that was out
10:55 am
jogging and had not done anything that would permit even for a citizen's arrest. the defense in this case, their position was that the jury should draw an inference, because he had been in this one house on several occasions and have been seen on videotape, that that in and of itself was enough for them to make a citizen's arrest. i'd like to say something here. i'm a lawyer. i can tell you i am very, very embarrassed by the manner in which several defense attorneys put on their case and it may very well have hurt them and their clients with the jury. when you give a closing argument and you talk about a dead man
10:56 am
dirty long, black toenails. that in and of itself is very offensive. when you stand up and you tell a judge that there are black pastors in the room and that you don't want them there, that also was very offensive. and i think sadly that jurors are at some stage wearing their closing argument, may have picked up on some of this and it may very well have been very injurious to their clients. i've got to tell you. just jogging. all we had was a black kid jogging in the neighborhood. he hadn't committed any crime. by the way, i was thinking they kept saying that they believed that he had committed some burglaries. but this kid was jogging. he didn't have a car. he didn't have a knapsack. he didn't have anything on him
10:57 am
to show that he could've taken anything of substance out of any of these homes. it's very sad period. we also must look at the jury system. i know that there were a lot of people in the black community that was deeply concerned as to whether a predominantly white jury in georgia would convict to white men. i've got to tell you, when you look at the way the defense play this case out, they consistently kept trying to close on the sensitivity, there's crime in your neighborhood. hey, black people commit crimes. they pulled out everyone of the racial insensitivities that they could without clearly using the word race. that went against them.
10:58 am
there were fair-minded white people. the majority of this jury was white. they were fair-minded white people who took a look at this case and they made an independent decision. so what we as americans should be proud of in this verdict, these verdicts, is that american citizens working together irrespective of this race thing, that they could come together and that they could make a decision based and predicated on the evidence that was presented to them. >> sandra: we continue to take in these live pictures since the verdict has been read, live in brunswick, georgia. several minutes ago, at the courthouse. we do expect possibly we could hear from maybe the defense attorneys or the prosecution. all three defendants, if you're just tuning in, have been found
10:59 am
guilty of murder in the ahmaud arbery death there in brunswick, georgia. ted, we are sort of taking in these live images because ahead of the verdict being read there were preparations underway by businesses to prepare for this verdict. no matter the outcome. celebrations there on the steps of the courthouse. >> the fact that three men, three citizens of a community have now lost their freedom, to me that's nothing to celebrate. on the other hand, you have individuals, specifically black individuals in that community, who have seen for years black citizens injured, maimed or killed, and they have seen individuals got away with it. you go back and you look at the emmett till situation where emmett till was killed allegedly
11:00 am
for whistling at a white woman. those individuals were found not guilty. that in itself is what people have looked at. what we have seen here is fair-minded people, fair-minded americans, fair-minded jurors looking at the evidence and not disavowing the evidence but basing their decision to find these men guilty on the evidence. >> trace: thank you. speak to ted, thank you very much. live pictures there in brunswick, georgia, as the verdict has just been read by the judge several moments ago, fighting all three men found guilty of the murder charges against them in the death of ahmaud arbery. 14 days this trial was going on, two days of deliberations.
11:01 am
it took until just about 1:30 eastern time for the verdict to be reached and read, what appeared to be a joyous mother reacting, ahmaud arbery's mother was seated in the courtroom, reacted very emotionally, nodding her head in agreement as the charges were read. all three men found guilty of his murder. >> trace: it's interesting. welcome to a brand-new hour of "america reports." travis mcmichael, the one who pulled the trigger, 35 years old, former coast guard member. he was the one found guilty of malice murder. his father, 65-year-old gregory mcmichael found guilty of felony murder. and "roddie" bryan was found guilty of the second count of felony murder. it doesn't matter, as professor jonathan turley just told us moments ago does not matter because they are all going to spend life in prison. we want to get outside the courthouse now to
11:02 am
steve harrigan. he has been covering this trial all along live. what are you hearing and what are you seeing outside the courthouse? >> it was really a moment of celebration outside the courthouse. several hundred people have been gathered there since the early morning hours waiting for this verdict. they are out there last night as well. 11 whites and one black went into discussions last night for six hours. another five hours today. there were real concerns about what could happen but really a clean sweep for the prosecution, overwhelming victory. one man fired shots but all three now found guilty of murder. this case began actually two years ago. ahmaud arbery, 25-year-old black man running through a suburban neighborhood in georgia. he had stopped in the house under construction on multiple occasions. the men who followed him, the men who hunted him, the men who tried to pet him and with their pickup trucks and who eventually shot and killed him said he was not a jogger but a burglar.
11:03 am
the shooter, travis mcmichael, said he fired in self-defense, that arbery had charged at him with his fists. the jury did not buy those stories. all three men guilty. keep in mind this is a case that almost didn't happen. were it not for the 36 seconds a videotape filmed by one of these defendants, travis mcmichael with arbery lying on the road dad was able to get into his pickup truck and drive home. the first prosecutor involved, nothing to see here. it was the videotape that made the case and three men including the men who filmed it, charged and found guilty of murder. >> sandra: steve harrigan, i know you're going to stand by with us. jeff paul joining us. you've been covering this trial from the very beginning. what are you seeing? >> you talk to some folks and you ask their reaction that i think the main word that comes to mind is justice. you can see some of the people out here expressing those emotions in different ways. you have some groups have heroes
11:04 am
been out here for days on end. who are now chanting and making sure that the most important man's name is being heard right now, that's the name of ahmaud arbery. in the center of this case. people out here chanting, people dancing. other people hugging. they're sort of tears of joy, bittersweet tears. there's sort of a hurry up and wait attitude because they want to hear from some of the people here who matter, like the family of ahmaud arbery. local leaders here. it's very bittersweet yet celebratory mood out here. they get the verdict that they were hoping for. in this case involving ahmaud arbery. >> sandra: jeff paul on the ground in brunswick, as we continue to watch and wait possibly snooze conferences that could happen. you see the microphones are set
11:05 am
up outside the courthouse. we will take those for you live if and when they happen. >> trace: let's bring in jonathan turley again, constitutional law professor. an attorney and a fox news contributor. steve harrigan makes a great point because this thing was gone. it was no case at all. 36 seconds of video that was captured by "roddie" bryan and had he turned around and gone home like he thought he was going to do, this case was over because the original prosecutor said we've got nothing. we've got nothing here to prosecute on. then the video shows up. as you said, we are a video attractive nation. have you ever seen a case like this that was initially dismissed until you have this compelling evidence that really changed the case? >> that has occurred in rare circumstances. it's important for investigations to play out. the opposite example is with rittenhouse. in that case, the prosecutors rushed to charge within a couple
11:06 am
days before any investigation was completed. prosecutor seemed to be learning facts in the case with the jury in the trial. they ended up overcharging. this was a case which was the inverse. the initial view was this was probably privileged or self-defense. then that changed. when that shocking video was played to the public, the judge still has a role to play. the judge still has to decide whether this will be a life sentence with chance of parole. that's largely going to be immaterial to the men because you have to i believe spend at least 30 years to become eligible. given the age of the defendants, that may or may not be relevant, certainly for greg mcmichael, the father, it's unlikely to be a relevant consideration. the judge will have to make that
11:07 am
decision. then the defendants will bring their appeals. those will be based on a couple legal decisions made by the judge. critical instructions given to the jury. given the power of the videotape, it's hard to get something like this reversed. the standard for the appellate court is whether this was a harmless error if there was an error at trial. given that videotape, a lot of appellate judges are going to say this really was an overwhelming case. you're going to have to show something that just clearly would've made a difference if it had gone the other way with the judge. >> trace: standby if you would for us, professor. >> sandra: let's bring in fox news legal analyst mercedes colwin. thank you for joining us. we are awaiting any sort of updates here from the courthouse possibly. we might hear from the defense, the prosecution, we don't know yet. there's been a big presence outside the courthouse of
11:08 am
arbery's family. some of his aunts have been out there every day this trial has gone on. fox news caught up with some of them. his aunts kimberly and kenya. they spoke to fox news. long deliberation process, as they described it. they said it's been torture for the family. "a piece of my heart left that day," his aunts had. talking about the deliberation process, one of his family members that it surprises us that it's taken so long. they have been going through a lot. the mother we saw inside the courtroom reacting to the verdict read. this has been a brutal process for that family, who lost a loved one. >> i can't imagine something more brutal than losing a child. that's why there was deep emotion from the mother and the courtroom. frankly understandably why so many of the family members are grieving over this incredible loss. two things that i felt were
11:09 am
improbable for the defense to overcome was the videotape. anybody who spoke to. anybody who looked that videotape of the same consensus. how unbelievable, violin vile anddisgusting. the defense did what they could to try. if the facts are terrible, you switch to the law. at the end of the day, you had the initial reaction to the videotape, like all of us have that same reaction, it couldn't be overcome. no matter how much you try to latch onto the fact that it was -- there was a civil arrest statute. shortly after arbery had been murdered. the citizen's arrest law in georgia was repealed and repealed for a good reason. to avoid a circumstance like this happening in the future. the fact that when you couldn't
11:10 am
have the jury be swayed in any way because of the law, then you have the judge's instructions regarding citizen's arrest. he really became pretty improbable for the defense to take a win. this seems like the right result. >> trace: you talk about the videotape. i'm wondering where you at all surprise when you saw, clearly the prosecution ran the table on this. were you surprised when you saw "roddie" bryan. his defense was he broke off the chase and then he rejoined it and started videotaping but he never pulled a weapon. he never fired a gun. he was no part of this. were you surprised that he was also convicted of felony murder, the second count? >> not really. part of the reason why he was brought up on felony murder charges was because of the fact that the truck became aggravated assault. the fact that he was part of this chase was a crime in and of itself. the prosecution did an excellent
11:11 am
job of linking those lesser included charges like the aggravated assault. and then saying once you have committed the felony of aggravated assault and as a result of an individual dies, mr. arbery died, then that is felony murder. it was a perfect prosecution, making what they did in terms of making sure those two were wed and therefore the result was the felony murder charge. not surprising. frankly, trace, the whole defense about its providence, i was brought there by providence to videotape. it fell flat. it fell flat to the jurors. they were not swayed in any way and found him guilty. speech and to that point, the jury as we keep reminding everybody was comprised of 11 white jurors and one black juror. they reviewed this case for more than six hours yesterday after closing arguments. they resumed in the courtroom today, in the court at 8:30 a.m. eastern time this morning and
11:12 am
here we are, the verdict was right about an hour ago. looking at the scene outside the courthouse, it looks like the crowds continue to build. ben crump is the arbery family attorney, also represented george floyd's family. we are told there was an impromptu prayer circle this morning. civil rights activist, the reverend al sharpton was present outside the court house. it's a moment we are taking in. i as far as the timing, compared to the rittenhouse trial in the deliberations come of this happening after two days of deliberations for the jurors. >> the jurors taken very seriously. there was a lot to take in obviously. i don't look at the length. i know some folks, some defense attorneys will say that if you're at the precipice of a holiday, it's dangerous for the
11:13 am
defense. frankly i think the jurors took their time. they went through the charges. it was a thoughtful, meaningful process. they came back with two questions for the judge. they wanted the 911 tape. on the phone with 911 when he yelled out. travis had shot mr. arbery. the second was the videotape. meaningful, deliberative process taking place for the jurors. even though some may criticize the fact that it was not as long as the rittenhouse deliberation. >> trace: looking at the crowd outside the courthouse. the same, you talk about the jurors being the building and protesters outside the building. the same thing that played out in the kyle rittenhouse trial also played out here where you had protesters every day outside the building. we saw videotape of some of these protesters actually carrying a coffin with the defendant's names on the coffin. there was chanting. there was some concerns about,
11:14 am
intimidating the jury, intimidating the defense attorneys just like there was in the kyle rittenhouse thing. does that play into this at all? >> if there wasn't a videotape, view could make the argument that type of effect outside the courtroom influences jurors. once you see the videotape, it seems very clear that the jurors, their whole argument about the citizen's arrest law really didn't have any sway. it was a videotape and the testimony. frankly, when you heard travis mcmichael testify, there were some slip-ups in his cross-examination. the prosecution did an excellent job of cross-examining him. he was not firm in his conviction. there were some slip-ups. maybe there is some argument to say that there was some influence but frankly the jury took their civic duty very
11:15 am
seriously and deliver the right verdict. >> trace: fair assessment. standby. sandra. >> sandra: standby with us if you can. phil holloway is with us. phil, thank you for joining us on the breaking news coverage as we look at these live pictures coming from outside the courthouse. we haven't seen the lawyers for the defense of the prosecution exit the courthouse yet. if they do, we believe they might walk up to the microphones. i believe we also just one of the family members exit the courthouse. there was an embrace. we are taking all this in together. it's about an hour after the verdict was read. >> good afternoon, guys. this was quite the trial. it was basically a trial that basically was about interpreting a video. we really know what the facts of the case are. we know what physically happened, with the jury had to determine, what was in the minds of these defendants. that's why we had some not guilty verdicts on some of the
11:16 am
malice murder counts. they decided with respect to those two defendants, premeditation and deliberation. with the defense, they were always going to have an uphill climb getting around the idea that you can start an altercation under georgia law and then claim self-defense. in other words, the chase, being in the vehicles, all of this was in fact the initial provocation. if you engage in the initial provocation such as committing false imprisonment by chasing someone with a vehicle, you cannot legally then turn around and avail yourself of self-defense. that wasn't always an uphill climb. that was always an uphill climb. in the end, that videotape was just too powerful. >> aside from the videotape, was there also a compelling case to be made for the prosecution of the fact that ahmaud arbery who they said was burglarizing some of these homes, he wasn't
11:17 am
carrying anything. he didn't have a knapsack. didn't have any goods. there is no evidence that he was burglarizing this neighborhood. the only way around the videotape was for the defendants to say he was about to use his fists. you see the reverend al sharpton kind of taking a victory march. was there in your assessment any chance at all the self-defense claim? >> i never thought there was much of a chance but something happened that we couldn't see clearly. in the front of the pickup truck. i always wondered is the jury going to have some question about it. the prosecutor did a really good job flipping the argument and saying the reason that ahmaud arbery turned and went toward the defendant was because he felt that was the thing he could do to defend himself from these aggressors. the prosecution did a very good
11:18 am
job by think explaining that part of the argument to the jury and in the end, we saw that the jury believe that and the jury found him not guilty. the judge has to determine whether it is life without parole. >> first and foremost, we are going to start by thanking god for shining on us. let this thank these lawyers. let us thank the activists that y'all called the mob that march 10 stood up. let us thank all the people that believed and let us more than anything thank a mother and father. they lost a son but their son will go down in history as one that proved that if you will dawn that justice could come.
11:19 am
this mother would tell me reverend, we're going to win this when i had doubts. she kept praying. this father said we've got to get some justice for my son. let the word go forth from all over the world that he jury of 11 whites and one black in the deep south stood up in the courtroom and said that black lives do matter. let it be clear that almost ten years after trayvon martin, god used wanda and marcus his son to prove that if we kept marching and kept fighting we would make you hear us. we've got a lot more battles to fight but this was an important battle today. this was proving that our children know their value. that's why those people that marched, i'm talking about the people here that was here when nobody else was here, they stood
11:20 am
up. [cheers and applause] brunswick. brunswick, georgia, will go down in history as the place that criminal justice took a different turn. let us pray. dear god, dear god, we come thanking you for your mercy, thanking you for giving us a prosecutors team that when it looked to us like they had stacked the jury, that you still found a way to open up the minds of people, to listen to the evidence and way it based on facts, not based on skin color.
11:21 am
you gave strength to this mother and father to not give up on you even when many of us doubted. even when many of us that it's not going to happen, you came in the state of georgia, a state known for segregation, state known for jim crow, and you turned it around. you took the young, unarmed boy that they thought was worthless and you put his name in history. years from now, decades from now they will be talking about a boy named ahmaud arbery who taught this country what justice looks like. let us go forth into victory. we thank everyone in brunswick that marched, that stood out in front of this courthouse, that was called a lynch mob that they kept on marching. let us know that all whites are not racist.
11:22 am
and all blacks are not worthless, that we are your children and will give you the grace and give you the glory, the glory be yours, not ours. let us not be proud and let us not be vengeful but let us be thankful that you brought us closer together today. these blessings we ask in your name. thank you, lord. thank you, lord. we will hear from the attorneys and the parents. let us hear for the attorney from wanda, who was running for the texas attorney general. he asked me not to say but i'm going to say it because we need attorney general's like this.
11:23 am
he flew in and out as he handled other cases. these lawyers kept going to the wall and stood up. we walked out of court with tears in our eyes. we cried inside but they were tears of joy because people like thurgood marshall and others broke down barriers to produce a ben crump and alene merrick. >> you all don't want to hear from me right now. you want to hear from the family of ahmaud arbery, as we all do. we want to wrap our arms around them. i'm speaking to provide an introduction. you have known her for the last 18 months, 18 months ago when she learned about the murder of her son, they told her she would just have to deal with it alone. they told her they would be no arrests, no accountability, there would be no justice. she made her son a promise before she laid him in the
11:24 am
ground that his mom would fight for justice in order to do that, glynn county has to change. she couldn't find justice in glynn county. february 23rd, there was a prosecutor standing in her way, jackie johnson. wanda cooper prayed her out of the way. she's facing criminal charges herself. when she was looking for justice in glynn county, she was faced with a corrupt legal system, one that never fully investigated her son's murder as we learned during the course of this trial. wunder performed her own investigation. wanda hired her own attorneys as she woke up a nation. can you join me in giving a round of applause for this fighting, faithful, praying mother. i'm going to let wanda come forward.
11:25 am
come on, wanda. speak i want to say thank you, guys. thank you. thank each and every one of you. who fought this fight with us. it's been a long fight. it's been a hard fight. but god is good. early in, to tell you the truth, i never saw this day back in 2020. i never thought this day would come. but god is good. i just want to tell everybody, thank you, thank you for those who marched, those who prayed. most of all the ones who prayed. thank you, thank you. you know him as ahmaud. he will rest in peace. >> thank you, lord.
11:26 am
>> you all heard the gut wrenching grunt that came out of marcus arbery when they pronounce travis mcmichael guilty. he could not contain it any further. because think about how long he and wanda have been enduring all the innuendo, all the allegation, all the character assassination. long legs, dirty toenails. just imagine all they went through. when he heard that, he could not contain himself. marcus as a father. they see their job is to protect their children.
11:27 am
you can experience the pain of a mother and father who witnessed what they witnessed, not being there protect the child. every parent in america can take solace in knowing that we have an example of how to deal with tragedy and grief when they look at the example of marcus are very -- marcus arbery and wanda cooper. they should be applauded. i tell you all, we together did this. we all together. black, white, activists, faith members, lawyers, prosecutors. we did this together! we said america, will make us
11:28 am
better than what we saw in the video. i would be remiss if we didn't do knowledge -- didn't acknowledge, even though we are clapping and we are cheering and we applaud, wanda and marcus stiller devastated because they are missing ahmaud. devastated. and so even though this is not a celebration, it is a reflection to knowledge that the spirit of ahmaud defeated the lynch mob. the spirit of ahmaud defeated the lynch mob. the spirit of ahmaud defeated the lynch mob. marcus arbery. >> number one, i want to give
11:29 am
all glory to god. that's who made all this possible. number two, i want to thank his mama. i want to thank my sister and brothers. i want to thank my children for being strong during this time because i know it was hard what they had to deal with. and number two, i want to thank all y'all people and all the support you gave us. god put us all together to make this happen. it ain't no one side. god don't work one-sided. god works two-sided. i would put you here. i'm going to put you there. you pulled together and worked. if one side wouldn't of worked wouldn't have happened. when -- going in the office.
11:30 am
we got that lynch mob. for real, all life matters. not just blacks. we don't want to see anybody go through this. i don't want to see no daddy watching his can get shot down like that. it's all of our problems. it's all our problem. let's keep fighting, let's keep doing in making this place of better place for all human beings. all human beings. everybody. love everybody. all human beings need to be treated equally. we're going to conquer this lynching. today's a good day. >> before the lawyers come back, let me also say as i said to all the activists, the family thinks them. we thank a lot of those that
11:31 am
were local. reverend baker. stood up even when other clergy wouldn't stand up. we want to thank bob. then you're from the beginning. all the ministers that came. we want to thank cliff, who has been our rock. i want to thank, if he's watching, reverend jesse jackson. despite his illness, came down and sat in that court room. all of us, this is a day white and black activists showed we could unite and beat the lynch mob that killed ahmaud. i never say this often but i must say we want to thank the prosecutors. they stood and they fought for this family.
11:32 am
tomorrow in all our join today, there will be an empty chair at wanda's table. ahmaud won't be a thanksgiving tomorrow. she can look at that chair and say to ahmaud, i fought a good fight and i got you some justice. we can't show that chair for you but we can say you are a mother above all mothers. you fought for your son. marcus, you fought for your son. even though it will be a sober and solemn thanksgiving, you can thank god you didn't let your boy down. >> ben and i have a difficult task showing up to this courthouse in turning the case over to the prosecutors.
11:33 am
as attorneys, as advocates, we want to exercise control over something this important, and it was difficult to relinquish that control to the dekalb county prosecutor's office. we had to under the law. and they did what they had to do to secure conviction and i applaud them for putting on an airtight case that resulted in a conviction for these men. they have invited wanda and marcus and their supporters to stand with them for their press conference on so we are going to do something else that's difficult to do. were going to step back. we're going to allow the prosecutors to make a presentation about their case as we stand with them in solidarity and thank them for their efforts. >> it's a good example. for when lee merrick is texas attorney general. [cheering]
11:34 am
>> hello. i'm the executive assistant district attorney for the cobb county. >> please be quiet so we can give them the respect they so richly deserve. >> hello, i'm the executive assistant district attorney for the cobb county district attorney's office. i bring you greetings and remarks from our district attorney. who was appointed as district attorney pro tem for this case and for the prosecution of this case. unfortunately he was not able to be here due to a family medical emergency. first and foremost, we want you to know that from the moment this case came to our office, it was our foremost goal to ensure that we got justice for ahmaud arbery's family. in particular we are so very
11:35 am
proud and thankful for the confidence that the family has given to us. we admire and commend the courage, the steadfastness, and the strength of ms. wanda cooper jones, ahmaud's mother, and mr. marcus arbery, the father of ahmaud. seeking this justice during this process. it has been a long road and we are so happy that we are able to be here at this end of the road. we would like to also saying thank you and we commend the courage and bravery of this jury to say what happened on februard armory, the hunting and killing of ahmaud arbery, it was not only morally wrong but legally wrong. we are thankful for that. we want to specifically recognize some people who been involved with regard to the prosecution of this case.
11:36 am
in particular, our team. our lead attorney, senior assistant district attorney, linda dunikoski. assistant district attorney larissa olivarez. senior assistant district attorney paul camarella. chief investigator charles prescott. deputy chief investigator keith limon. investigator cameron watson. investigator darius ml1 cclure. ms. kayla willis. cindy borrowed, sarah rap, laramie floyd, matt morgan, our communications department, we also need to thank also the
11:37 am
georgia bureau of investigation and in particular, the director. special agent richard dial. we do continuing live in brunswick outside the courthouse where arbery's killers have learned they will spend the rest of their lives behind bars after the georgia jury found all three of those men guilty, rejecting -- the jury rejecting their self-defense claims against the unarmed arbery. the governor of georgia, brian kemp, has released a statement. "arbery was the victim of vigilantism that has no place in his state," as legal efforts continue to hold all accountable as responsible very hope the arbery family, the brunswick community, those in the state and around the nation who been following this case can now move forward on a path of healing and reconciliation. a live look outside the courthouse as we bring in former
11:38 am
d.c. police detective defense attorney and fox news contributor ted williams. we heard from the family attorney ben crump, al sharpton spoke as well and arbery's mother. very emotional response on a very big day for her son and her family. >> yeah. i've got to tell you i was moved by the words "all lives matter." we are such a divided country. we are divided along racial lines. what we observed here in this verdict and what could be taken away from this verdict is that justice prevailed and that when we see things in a white and black manner, then everything is not always the way we see it. here we had 11 of the jurors who
11:39 am
were white. we had one black on the jury. the jury came to a decision, a consensus. that in and of itself can be considered justice. and i've got to tell you. it is very, very sad in america when a young kid could just be jogging through a neighborhood and to be shot down. the one thing that saved this case i believe was the videotape. the videotape spoke volumes as to what had taken place under the circumstances. it's the one you make a very good point, ted. the videotape really did save this case. without videotape, there might be no case. you say justice prevailed but the attorneys were talking, ben crump and al sharpton, talking about the fact that justice
11:40 am
almost failed. you look at the evidence in this case and it was compelling and it you take the video away from this case and a prosecutor may have dismissed this altogether. in fact did dismiss it altogether. there might not have been a case. that would've been the end of it. are you -- are you astounded at all than in 2021 that we still, to get a valid conviction, need to have some videotape. we need to be able to compel people enough to see it with their own eyes before they'll actually convict. >> yeah, i am somewhat astounded. but we also almost look at the rights of the accused and the rights of the accused also have to be respected. the circumstances, i think that clearly the video was the one thing that threw it over the top and we were able to see with our own eyes what took place. a young kid shot down with a
11:41 am
shotgun in georgia. very, very tragic. >> trace: it is indeed. thank you, ted. appreciate your time. >> sandra: the arbery trial verdict is in. all three suspects can trick a found guilty of murder. will have continuing coverage on the fox news channel. we'll be right back. so they only for what they need. woooooooooooooo... we are not getting you a helicopter. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ ♪ (vo) reflect on the past, celebrate the future. season's greetings from audi. if you're on medicare, remember, the annual enrollment period is here. the time to choose your coverage... begins october 15th... and ends december 7th. so call unitedhealthcare...
11:42 am
and take advantage of a wide choice of plans... including an aarp medicare advantage plan from unitedhealthcare. it can combine your hospital and doctor coverage with part d prescription drug coverage, and more, all in one simple plan... for a low monthly premium or in some areas, no plan premium at all. take advantage of $0 copays on primary care doctor visits, virtual visits and lab tests. also get $0 copays on preventive dental care, $0 copays on routine hearing exams, and free yearly eye exams. plus, free designer frames and prescription lenses. now's the time to look at unitedhealthcare's variety of plans, and let us help find the one that works best for you. ask about ppo plans, too. they let you see any doctor who accepts medicare, without a referral. and pay in-network costs, at home or traveling, when you see doctors in the unitedhealthcare medicare national network. take advantage of $0 copays and deductibles
11:43 am
on tier 1 and mail order tier 2 prescriptions. in fact, last year our medicare advantage plan members saved an average of over $9,000. and with renew active, enjoy a free gym membership - with access to the largest gym network of any medicare advantage plan. as always, you can count on unitedhealthcare to help you get the care you need, when you need it. we can even help schedule appointments or find a specialist. enrollment ends december 7th. call unitedhealthcare or go online today. we make it easy to enroll, too. enjoy all the benefits of the only medicare advantage plans with the aarp name. take advantage now.
11:44 am
11:45 am
11:46 am
speak to an energy crisis rocking americans as they hit the road for the holidays. it's the issue bringing americans together unfortunately from coast-to-coast. sticker shock at the gas pump prices are soaring. up 16% from last year. topping $4 a gallon in some places. trace, you are seeing atop $5 i'm sure. dollar tree, it has kept its prices at a dollar for 35 years, it's announced it has to raise prices on most of its goods. no longer the dollar store. they are raising their items to a dollar and $0.25. the ceo calls it a monumental shift. others call it inflation. >> trace: $5.60 a gallon, just saying, outside the door. this year is setting up to be the most expensive things giving ever for american families,
11:47 am
costing an estimated 14% more than last year. the president talked to the nation yesterday about all this but then refused to take reporter questions before jetting off to a billionaire's estate nantucket. >> thank you for your time and effort. 20 of time to talk. [reporters shouting questions] >> trace: edward lawrence and the gas crisis. >> getting used to see the back of the president. he's not answering questions in several days. the president's you said, a billionaires home in nantucket as the rest of us not only paying more for thanksgiving dinner by paying more to get to that thanksgiving dinner. the responses to release 50 million barrels of oil into the system. traders are saying it will not have a substantial impact on the oil prices. prices finished up yesterday. republicans are saying that americans will clearly note where the blame lies for the rising gas prices.
11:48 am
>> they're the ones that shut down domestic production. they shut down our own pipelines and now they are begging opec to open up production, increase production and lower the gas prices that we are experiencing, all because of the decisions that they've made. >> the white house press secretary still saying that they are going to press opec. >> increasing the supply, something we have asked opec plus member countries to do. we will continue to press them to do. >> "the wall street journal" reporting that the top oil producers in saudi arabia and russia may counter the move by the u.s. and hold off on producing more oil, further constricting the supply around the globe that could push prices up even more. clearly they are not getting the message. i think it was albert einstein who said you continually try to do the same thing over and over and try to get a different result and that's the definition of insanity. >> trace: edward lawrence. thank you.
11:49 am
>> sandra: senator elizabeth warren, wants the doj to investigate whether the poultry industry is price-fixing the cost of your thanksgiving bird stores. turkey farmers say it's pretty simple. it's called inflation. >> the prices gone up. the price of the feet has gone up. the price of shipping has gone up, the price of labor has gone up. unfortunately to be turning any kind of profit, the price of the turkey has to go up. >> sandra: there you have a paired one survey suggest the average thanksgiving dinner will cost about 15% more this year than last. fox business grady trimble. i can't wait. full disclosure. at 1:00 i set i was hungry. it's 3:00 and you're going to show me more. >> you're going to be even more hungry right now because we've been cooking this bird all day long. it's finally ready. we stuck the thermometer in it and it's good to go, just in time for you. if you can make it back to
11:50 am
chicago tonight, we will save this for you. turkey is one of the reasons thanksgiving meals are going up in price. they are up 24% from a year ago. i'm going to do a little bit of a bob barker impression go through other thanksgiving staples. pretty much everything you need to make a pie is going up in price. two frozen pie crust will cost $2.91. that's an increase of 21% from last year. cranberry sauce, another thanksgiving favorite. a 12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries. 11% increase from a year ago. beautiful sweet potato casserole with the brown marshmallows on top. 3 pounds of sweet potatoes. $3.56. 4% increase from last year. it doesn't dinner rolls. they go from about $3.05. 15% increase from last year. the only item that has not gone up in price and has actually gone down according to the folks
11:51 am
with the farm bureau is stuffing. i don't know why that is but they say it's decreased by about 19% from last year. sandra, just about everything in your meal is going to cost more. unfortunately the price is wrong this year. >> sandra: i didn't know you were in naperville, illinois. someone's home. i grew up in the town next door, wheaton. very familiar. yes, i am hungry. i have two comments. the pumpkin pie needs whipped cream. whipped cream is probably going to cost more. the marshmallows were perfectly browned. >> i'm going into the fridge. i know we have whipped cream in here but we didn't want to put it out and let it melt. i will put it on right now for you. >> sandra: perfect. even more perfect would be homemade whip. look at you. look at that. >> you're not going to get homemade from me. my producer did all of this. [laughter] >> sandra: reporting from the midwest town outside chicago,
11:52 am
grady trimble. thank you for that. all right. prices are going up. critics are slamming president biden's plan to release oil from the strategic oil reserves to bring gas prices down. will it happen? they are saying that biden's plan will benefit china and india more than the united states because the oil involved cost more to process here for the refineries. all of this as the president refuses to admit his green energy moves are contributed to higher prices at the pump. let's bring in senior market analyst, contributor phil flynn is here. our good friend phil flynn. always good to have you. you've been following the oil, the energy markets specifically for years. we see this emergency release of oil. it sounds good, it sounds like we are in a situation where gas prices are high, that the oil should bring prices down, is not going to be the case? >> no, absolutely not.
11:53 am
in fact i think grady when he cooked his thanksgiving dinner, you saw the oil cooking the turkey. that was about it. you're right. most of this oil is not even good for making gasoline. a lot of it is sour crude. refiners have too much of that. higher sulfur content, they don't like it to make ethylene so they're probably going to export it to china and india. china and india is going to get more oil. here the united states taxpayers have been for it. >> trace: the first thing that i did yesterday or a couple days ago in this story came out that he was going to unleash 50 million barrels, i said how much oil does the united states use every day? same question was asked to the energy secretary, and here's what she said. >> how many barrels of oil does
11:54 am
the u.s. consume per day? because i don't have that number in front of me. >> trace: wouldn't you think that's the first thing that they would prep her and say here's how much we use a day. 50 million barrels will last us about two and a half days. >> exactly. i'll tell you. i feel bad for her because sometimes they mess up on those numbers and they get a brain freeze but at the end of the day, it's her department that puts out a report every day. we got to report last week refiners refined 15.4 million barrels of crude last week. if you add in the oil that we imported, it's more like 20 million barrels a day. so at the end of the day, i think the energy secretary really wasn't brought into via fossil fuel energy secretary. she was brought into via green energy secretary. this fossil fuel thing gets in the way of her bigger vision of trying to get off fossil fuels but i think what the administration is finding, it's a lot harder to get off fossil fuels especially when the steps
11:55 am
you've taken and raised prices and tighten supplies and americans are angry. i'll tell you what. the higher the gas price goes, the lower the poll numbers will go. >> sandra: it is happening. we are reminded with this energy secretary, who is right in the middle of dealing with an energy crisis in this country recently gave this interview when she was in glasgow. she was asked a simple but serious question. watch. >> what is the plan to increase oil production in america? >> [laughs] that is hilarious. would that i have the magic wand on this. >> sandra: what are we doing to increase oil production in this country? that's a reasonable question, when she should have an answer to, let alone the question we just play from the white house where she didn't know how much oil we are consuming as a nation. >> actually think she answered honestly. she laughed.
11:56 am
talking about u.s. oil production. she laughed because she doesn't want u.s. oil production. she wants our country to become more dependent on russia and opec. i think that was kind of an honest laugh because she did know how to answer because the question was, how do you expect for u.s. producers to raise production. they've done everything they can to thwart u.s. energy production. talking about more regulations. telling people to buy electric cars. if you're a public company, they want to look at your books to see your carbon footprint. that doesn't really bode well for a big boost in production. >> trace: we were talking about the fact that gas outside the doors $5.60 a gallon. it might be higher now. in california, one of the reasons it so high is because of the taxes because of the different blends you have to have for different seasons. puts all kind of money on it. is there any validity to the president's attack on the big oil companies that they are
11:57 am
gouging us? >> absolutely not. the evidence that he gave was the spread between the wholesale price and the cash price. he was saying prepandemic we were $0.25 a gallon cheaper. but if you use that argument, you can also make the argument that yeah, the united states at that point was producing about 2 million barrels of oil a day and it was keeping the prices down. trying to thwart production therefore gasoline prices are higher so you have less supply and more demand. that's why it's $0.25 higher. >> sandra: phil flynn, that's why we turn to you in times like this because you -- you not injecting politics into it. you're looking at it. i've heard you when it goes the other way too. >> i will blame either party when they go after my energy industry. >> trace: thank you, phil. >> happy thanksgiving. >> sandra: to you as well.
11:58 am
the same headlines everywhere. empty shelves in stores, the price of turkey hitting an eye-popping $0.60 per pound. >> trace: talking about thanksgiving in 1918. $0.60 was a bunch of dough back then. other than that, many things have not changed. the nation was dealing with the flu pandemic. inflation and supply shortages rattled the economy. world war i had just come to an end and just like today they withdraw from afghanistan, the u.s. still has many troops stationed overseas. newspapers from the time describe an effort to make sure they all got a thanksgiving meal. many of them welcomed into the homes of families and friends who cooked the dinner. >> sandra: thankfully this year the pentagon's defense logistics agency got a head start back in october to be the bottlenecks and delays due to the pandemic. reports delivering meals for troops to all u.s. military outposts around the globe. some 60,000 pounds of roasted
11:59 am
turkey. 100,000 pounds of beef. enough eggnog to fill a swimming pool. being served tomorrow despite the pandemic and supply chain delays. thanks to american troops. not with their families while they keep the rest of us safe. such an important reminder as we headed into our feast tomorrow. so many that won't make it home. >> trace: that's true. you look around the world anything so many are doing so much to give us safe at home and they do a year in and year out and next they're going to miss christmas. big shout out to them because they are doing work that a lot of us passed on. it really is, that is the true definition of patriotism. >> sandra: and sacrifice. trace, are you cooking? >> trace: i'm not but we have friends who are. we are visiting. >> sandra: not the whole thing but i do get in there.
12:00 pm
i have got a couple recipes up my sleeve. trying a few things. hope everybody has a wonderful holiday. this year, finally we can get together and celebrate and be thankful. >> trace: indeed. sandra, to you and yours, happy thanksgiving and thank you for having me. it's been a great week. >> sandra: thanks for joining us. i'm sandra smith. >> trace: i'm trace gallagher. >> thanks, sandra and trace. i'm gillian turner in for more that. travis mcmichael that fired the shots that killed ahmaud arbery found guilty on all nine counts including malice murder. his father, gregory mcmichael, guilty on eight of the nine counts and roddy bryan guilty on six of the nine counts against him. the jury reached their verdict in 11 hours and 30 minutes. they asked to listen to

56 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on