Skip to main content

tv   Your World With Neil Cavuto  FOX News  November 19, 2021 1:00pm-2:00pm PST

1:00 pm
that's "the story" of friday, november 19, 2021. the story goes on. we'll see you back here monday afternoon at 3:00. "your world" starts right now. >> the statute of wisconsin versus kyle rittenhouse. we the jury find the defendant, kyle rittenhouse not guilty. as to the second count of the information, richard mcginnis, we the jury find kyle rittenhouse not guilty. as to the third count of information unknown male, we the jury find the defendant kyle rittenhouse not guilty. as to the fourth count of the information, anthony huber, we the jury find the defendant kyle
1:01 pm
rittenhouse not guilty. as to the fifth count of the information, gauge grosskreutz, we the jury find kyle rittenhouse not guilty. >> neil: not guilty on all counts. we're told kyle rittenhouse is on his way home and trying to get his leaf back together. you're looking on the right-hand side of the scene, kenosha wisconsin where the governor was concerned for the possibility of violence that he mobilize or was preparing to mobilize up to 500 national guard troops. we do see a stepped up legal presence there and police presence there. but so far there's been no problems there. welcome, everybody. i'm neil cavuto. this is "your world" on the impact of the case that is perhaps the most scrutinized and publicized since going back to o.j. simpson nearly two decades ago. what is at stake tonight and
1:02 pm
what they're watching for, we go to garrett tenney in kenosha on how things look now. garrett? >> yeah, neil. you can see a handful of folks are outside the courthouse here. really most of the crowd cleared out quick after. there was an outpouring of emotion from those folks that had been gathering outside the courthouse all week on both sides. folks out here to support kyle rittenhouse and those hoping to see him convicted. when the verdict was announced, a lot of people left happy, cheering, honking horns. a lot of folks left very upset and frustrated. most of the folks have gone home. at this point, it's been very peaceful. a lot of emotions and tense, high-running feelings and emotions outside the courthouse. there's not been any major issues. we'll keep an eye on it. action we saw last year, there were real problems. there was an outpouring of
1:03 pm
emotion in the courthouse as well. the jury's decision came down, kyle rittenhouse, falling down on to the table,over come with emotion. just behind them, a few rows, his mother also being overcome with emotion as the verdict came down. we're also starting to get reaction from folks here in the community as well as on the state and the national level. we did get a reaction to the verdict from the kenosha district attorney's office. he said we respect the verdict of the jury after 3 1/2 days of deliberations. self-defense is highly contentious in our times. we ask that all members of the public accept the verdict and not resource to violence. after that verdict came out, justin blake, the uncle of jacob blake that was shot by police, which sparked the unrest we saw a year ago here in kenosha, i spoke to him. he was headed down from the courthouse steps. i asked him for his reaction on this. obviously he was unhappy by the outcome.
1:04 pm
he did say though as frustrating and as upset as he was, he called for folks to be constructive hear and peaceful and take this energy and passion and fight for charge on the local and national level. there's a very heavy stepped up police presence throughout the week. any time there's been trouble here in front of the courthouse, in moments we've seen police swoop in in vans and take in to custody whoever it was causing the problems. so they've been very much keeping a close eye on everything happening here at the courthouse and through this community this entire week. we're told -- we've heard throughout this week leading up to this verdict that they feel like they're prepared for any unrest that may occur. they've done training in preparation to learn and improve from the response that we saw last year or lack of a response and feel confident that we won't see a repeat of the unrest and destruction a year ago. neil? >> neil: let's hope that is the case. thanks, garrett.
1:05 pm
i want to go to ted williams, the former d.c. homicide detective and attorney. very early on, he was quite critical of how the prosecutors had handled this case. ted, first off, your reaction to not guilty across the board. >> hi, neil. i believe really that there's no winners in this case. we have two men who are dead, one who was severely wounded. we have a 18-year-old kid, kyle rittenhouse, that i believe got in over his head. but kyle rittenhouse was closed in what we defined as self-defense. he had a right on that night to defend himself. he believed apparently and the jury believed that he was in great fear of bodily harm. when you look at the fact that
1:06 pm
kyle rittenhouse, the first person that he shot was coming at him, was rosenbaum. at that stage, he tried to escape from the scene that was going on there. all of a sudden you have huber with a skateboard that is trying to hit him over the head. that in and of itself could have been considered a dangerous weapon. and then you had the third victim, gaige grosskreutz. that individual had initially said that he did not have a gun out there that night. and on cross examination, gaige grosskreutz admitted that he had a gun, that he had pointed that gun at rittenhouse. our viewers should understand this and be clear on this. that rittenhouse did not have to wait to be shot by grosskreutz before he could take some action. so i'm not really surprised by
1:07 pm
this verdict. i think that the prosecution was not able to disprove that rittenhouse did not act in self-defense. >> neil: were you surprised, ted, that it was not guilty across the board, that rittenhouse was acquitted on all counts? there were a lot of possibilities here. none of the above. >> you know, all of these counts all five of them centered around self-defense. as i was on with you yesterday and we were going in to day 4, which is day 4, but day 3 just about passed, i was deeply concerned as to whether they were going to try to split the baby in half. but i can tell you, neil, that
1:08 pm
what helped rittenhouse is when he also took the stand. he was able to connect with that jury. he was able to convince that jury that he was in fear of great bodily harm. that helped tremendously. >> neil: what do you think if he never testified on his behalf? >> i think that it could have been a different scenario here. i think that that jury needed to hear from him. i think his lawyers also have come out in this afternoon saying that the jury -- that they also believed that the jury wanted to hear from rittenhouse. and when he got on the stand, when he broke down, either -- if you're the left or the right of the issue, you could say he was being phony or he was not being serious. on the other side, you can say this was a young man that was under tremendous burden.
1:09 pm
at that stage, he broke down before the jury. the jury was able to see that. and they believed him. >> neil: so ted, a lot of people were wondering the longer this went on, they read which way the jury was going. we were going over 24 hours of total deliberation. people were thinking, are they afraid, whatever decision they make and the impact it might have outside, that, you know, something that they did might lead to riots or demonstrations. even though there's not a hint of that as we speak. i'm wondering what you made of the time it took to get to this decision. >> you know, it took a longer length of time. if you remember the o.j. simpson trial and other trials. this jury was trying to get it right. i think the jurors took their
1:10 pm
responsibility very seriously and they wanted to get it right. i think initially, neil, when i looked at this, the jury instructions i believe were just rather confusing when it was given to the jury. i think that the jury is still out on the judge and the manner in which he tried this case. one of the things and i was very troubled by it last night when i heard one of the jurors was permitted to take instructions home. we believe in our jury system when you deliberate, you deliberate within the confines of the courthouse with everybody there. in all of the 30 some odd years that i've been practicing law, i have never known a judge to allow jury instructions to go home with one juror. that is aside. the fact is that kyle
1:11 pm
rittenhouse has been found not guilty of all five of these counts and there is absolutely no way, no way whatever is over to retry him. the big question i have right now is where does this man go and rebuild his life? he's known and seen all over the country. he's a young kid. i don't think it's going to be very easy. he's killed two people. that is going to be a very troubling indictment for him the rest of his life, neil. >> neil: yeah, even his lawyer saying that the family will move, they don't know where but not in the area. you mentioned about the juror having access or trying to get access at home. that got me wondering about the unique situation here where the jury was not sequestered. unusual in a case like this. what kid you make of that?
1:12 pm
>> this is a high profile case. i was on here with you yesterday. i was just rambling about one thing. that this jury should in fact have been sequestered. it would have been fair for both sides for the jury to be sequestered. any time you have a high profile case. what you're saying is hey, jury, go home, don't look at television, don't listen to the radio. we're living in an age where these jurors could be getting on a subway or a bus and hear about who is going on in this case. i think that that would be considered one of the unfair processes of a high profile case of this nature, where the jury was not sequestered. >> if i can flip from the lawyer side to the former d.c. detective and tonight and worried about whether things
1:13 pm
will get dicey tonight. what law enforcement is doing. they have a lee key presence. they're not inundating the area. the guardsmen were called just in case. your thoughts. >> you know, i covered the riots in milwaukee with griff jenkins there. i don't think that they were as prepared as they are in kenosha wisconsin for anything that may take place tonight. i'm hoping from what we saw at the courthouse that everything will be peaceful there tonight. if it is not, i believe the national guard, which you have said is on standby and the kenosha, wisconsin police department, that they're ready to put down anything that takes place here tonight. but i can tell you, i listened just recently to the governor of new york. the mayor of new york city.
1:14 pm
the former governor of new york, cuomo and the mayor of new york city. and they putting coal on the flame by saying there was some unjust here. i implore you, you need to understand, this was a jury. this jury has spoken. irrespective of what side of the aisle you're on in regards to this, we need to respect the jury verdict in this case. >> neil: yeah. that was a theme all too rarely echoed but to be fair to the president did indicate that. we'll get to that in a second. ted, i want to personally thank you for your help and guidance all week on this case. you're a straight shooter. you look at it as you see it as a good detective and lawyer you are. that insight was and remains appreciated by our viewers as well. thanks, ted. ted williams. i mentioned about some including
1:15 pm
present mayor of new york city, the former governor, cuomo, not showing any sign of respect for the jury process. from the president of the united states, a signal just like that. take a look. >> i didn't watch the trial. so i -- >> do you stand by your past comment relating him to white supremacy? >> look, i stand by what the jury has concluded. the jury system works. we have to abide by it. >> neil: end of story. the most efficient way to look at it here, whether you like the outcome or didn't. not stirring the pot. jeff paul in kenosha, wisconsin. what can you tell us? >> no, certainly does not. a couple hours ago, you couldn't stand up here. probably close to 300 people, mostly media, mind you, on these courthouse steps. now a handful of people standing
1:16 pm
around. there's not been any dust-ups, a couple of shouting matches between two different sides of folks standing out here. people out here with a sign. the most dramatic thing, someone ripped a sign out of someone else's hands. most of the people, 80% of the people out here during the announcement of the verdict were probably the media. you can see the cameras out there and the tri-pods and people standing around. we did get a chance to speak with folks that spent some time out here waiting for the verdict because they thought it was important for their own reasons. here's what they had to say. >> i'm glad about the verdict. i feel like i'm proud to be an american. we have a right to self-defense and a right to bear arms in wisconsin. i feel like this whole thing became so political that it just kind of clouded all the facts from everything to begin with.
1:17 pm
>> i think if kyle rittenhouse had been african american or hispanic, he would have been shot when he was approaching the bobcat that law enforcement was in walking down the street. they would have shot him down there. >> a couple things to keep in mind as the sun starts to set what will happen tonight? the national guard is here on stand by. we have police. we can see sheriffs out here standing by to see what happens. you know, another thing to take in mind, you talk about the last time things got bad here in kenosha. it was the summer. it's cold out here. the crowd is not as charged. that can change. depends who shows up and what they do, neil. >> neil: thanks, jeff paul. jeff touched on it when this all went down in august 2020, it started with the police shooting of jacob blake. now the concern whether something that happened there,
1:18 pm
mr. blake did not die but his family is speaking to the media on this decision today. let's go to that. >> you have to bear with my sister here. she's been through a terrible trauma. she wanted to speak, a couple of words so you understand what's going on in her soul, her mind and her spirit. >> the biggest thing that i need to say is that if one person's life or two person's lives don't matter, none of our lives matter. so all of them matter or none of them matter. i feel like in this case feels like the victims lives don't matter. i don't think that that is acceptable. that's in my heart today. >> give it up for her. thank you, thank you. it's difficult going through something like that. it's extraordinarily difficult to share with other people how you feel about it. give it up one more time,
1:19 pm
please. make some noise. this is our new family member. we're not going to let her done or let her go. we're going to make that call when all of this is over and done and the cameras go home. we'll be making the late calls to make sure she's okay. >> the next person we're going to welcome up is hannah giddings. >> give it up, give it up. >> hi, everybody. >> hard to find the exact words to say in this situation. i don't think that any of us that were directly involved in what happened last year on the 25th are that surprised. we know this system is a
1:20 pm
failure. we know that this system doesn't serve people like us or really anybody that was not directly involved in the system. >> take your time. take your time. nobody is rushing you. >> i think the question that most of us are feeling right now, what can we do next. it's clear that most of the people that have been in that courtroom or standing outside of that courthouse, every single damn day are the type of people that are action driven. we want to know what we can do next. >> take your time. >> me personally, i am especially not surprised at the outcome of this verdict for
1:21 pm
anthony huber. the love of my life. he had been fought by this system in every single day from his birth to his death. all we can do now is keep moving. keep jumping in to action. we need to stand together. i want to be specific that this violence that they're using as a fear mongering tactic to keep the general public afraid of us and what we're doing, we don't to need that. we don't need the violence at all. all we need to do is keep standing and being loud and call them out on their fuckery. i miss anthony every single day. every day i wish i could come
1:22 pm
home to him. unload this weight on my shoulders, but i can't because he's dead. now this system is telling me that nobody needs to answer for that. i have a problem with that. i think's been very open and expressing my empathy for the other side of this. that's not reciprocated back. we need to focus on what is most hurtful here to these people, myself included, which is the loss of life and the sanctity of life. i'm not pro violence or pro destruction at all. but life is more important than any of that. >> come on, come on.
1:23 pm
>> take your time. you're doing great. >> i want the city of kenosha to understand, k.p.d. to understand that nobody here is ever going to stop. >> come on, come on. >> nobody here is ever going to stop attempting to expose the flaws in this system. like i said, i'm not surprised what happened here today but i'm heart broken. what we need to also focus on, too, look at these people around me. a lot of media. look at these people. look at these people showing up every day, you know, online, across the world with the support. we're more than them. we're bigger than them. no more division between us. focus on the common goal here.
1:24 pm
get something done. i will not rest. we will not rest. exactly. >> we will not rest. we will not rest. >> there's so many names. the name that is most close to my heart is anthony huber. there's so many names of people's family, peopled loved ones. that's what drove us to keep going, just hold on to them. let them know that nobody is going anywhere. >> neil: all right. sometimes the language can be raw. you've been listening to the loved ones in this case of anthony huber, joseph rosenbaum. they were among the two victims
1:25 pm
killed by kyle rittenhouse. he said self-defense and a jury unanimously agree with that today. they're obviously not pleased with the result of that and that final decision. you're also seeing some relatives of jacob blake. he's the 29-year-old african american that was left paralyzed after a white police officer shot him outside an apartment complex in kenosha, wisconsin in august of 2020. we're going to be monitoring these relatives and friends and supporters of all of those individuals involved in these events. obviously not pleased with the decision of the jury today exonerating rittenhouse on all counts against him. let's get the read on this from some very good criminal attorneys in their own right. nicole joins us as does brian claypool. nicole, the families of those that were hurt or, you know,
1:26 pm
killed, not happy with this decision. that's not surprising. there are concerns, you know, going forward about potential problems tonight when it gets dark. there's no way of knowing. we don't see a hint of that right now. but their view that this was sort of like a stacked deck. what did you make of that? >> that's absolutely not the case. this is the way the criminal justice system is supposed to work in terms of how a trial should proceed. a trial, whether or not this seems fair to them in hindsight, looking at the verdict, is supposed to be about the constitutional rights of the individual accused. in this case, the judge did just that. he made sure that this trial was fair and just under the law. he was held accountable because he had the trial. >> neil: so when you look at it, brian and how the jury came to
1:27 pm
the conclusion, so much i was read in to the 24, 26 hours, whatever it was, the at the time that will deliberation this week, that maybe they were trying to offer a decision or find rittenhouse guilty of a lesser charge. turns out that was not the case and that didn't happen. but that the pressure was on them because of the potential community response. again, i stress up to this point has been quite measured and quite, you know, peaceful. how does that enter in to a jury's thinking as they're meeting to discuss not only the fate of one man, but the impact it's going to have on the community? >> hey, neil. great to be back with you. it's an honor to be you the last couple weeks on this profound case. your question is compelling. i felt yesterday that if there were any guilty verdicts that a prime grounds for appeal would have been the failure to
1:28 pm
sequester this jury for the precise reason that you just mentioned. this was an unprecedented case. a political and social pressure. this justice system was used as a political playground to promote a social agenda. let's face it. those jurors were the victims of that. they could hear chanting outside if courtroom. they had to go home and hear about 500 national guards people being assigned in case there was violence. they felt this immense social and political pressure. that's not how our legal system is supposed to be set up. not withstanding all of that, these jurors were able to look through the lens of what was the evidence in this case based on rittenhouse's testimony, the
1:29 pm
videotaped testimony and this issue of self-defense. i think at the end of the day, the integrity of our criminal justice system was sustained today. because the jury actually saw the videotape. neil, when is the last time you saw video footage of all three shootings? the proof was in that pudding. the jury broke down the videotaped evidence methodically. they listened to rittenhouse. he needed to testify, to tell that jury. that was the game changer, neil, in this case. rittenhouse getting up there, telling the jury what he was thinking and feeling, the fear at the moment he shoots. that was the game changer. >> neil: it was a roll of the dice if you think about it, nicole. what do you think about the fact that kyle did get on the stand? >> it was such a risky move. the reality is, the prosecution's case, when they
1:30 pm
presented their own witnesses, established everything the defense team needed to get seven defense charges to this jury. they promised that rittenhouse was testifying and they had to make a decision whether or not to hold true to that promise. they did. a lot of people held their breath wondering how that would go. kyle was prepared and thoughtful in his answers. he made it through the cross examination without any real damage. turns out, it was exactly the right call. the jurors and the court could hear from kyle rittenhouse themselves. >> neil: you know, we're hearing from the lead prosecutor saying the jury representing our community rendered its verdict in the kyle rittenhouse case. while we're disappointed with the verdict, it must be respected. we're grateful to the member of the jury for their deliberate and thoughtfulconsiderations.
1:31 pm
we ask the members of the community to continue to express their opinions and feelings about this verdict in a civil and peaceful manner. that was much the same message we got out of president biden. not the same message we got out of de blasio, the mayor of new york city or the former governor, andrew cuomo. what did you make of the tone, the prosecutor was stating and the reaction from the president of the united states? >> i think it's sour grapes on this prosecutor's statement and president biden's statement. what business did the prosecutors have in bringing these charges two days after the shooting? they need to look themselves in the mirror when this case is of course and prosecutors all over the country should learn a lesson from this case that you don't use a political platform
1:32 pm
to start indicting somebody before you looked at videotape evidence, even interviewing witnesses like grosskreutz admitting that he's pointing a gun at rittenhouse before rittenhouse shoots? that charge shouldn't have been brought. that was laughable. the videotape of huber hitting rittenhouse in the head with a deadly weapon? rittenhouse laying on the ground could have been killed. huber grabbing at the gun and he shoots. so the prosecutors issued this statement because they're trying to save face. much like president biden should have never stuck his neck in this at the beginning of the case calling rittenhouse a white supremacist and other media outlets out there accusing rittenhouse of murder before the evidence is even presented. this is a life-changing lesson for prosecutors and for politicians to get their facts
1:33 pm
straight before they use a courtroom to promote political agendas. >> neil: guys, thank you both. to that point, maybe adding more fiery comments, after jury's decision, the governor of new york saying that kyle rittenhouse used an assault weapon to kill two people. there is not justice. if there's a question about why we need more gun safety lays, this is it. here we go. more after this. gold. your strategic advantage. these are the faces of listerine. the face of millions of germs zapped in seconds. the face of clean. the face of whoa! some are of intensity, others joy. all are of... various: ahhh... listerine. feel the whoa! ♪ my songs know what you did in the dark ♪ ♪ so light 'em up, up, up light 'em up, up, up ♪
1:34 pm
♪ light 'em up, up, up ♪ ♪ i'm on fire ♪ ♪ so light 'em up, up, up light 'em up, up, up ♪ ♪ light 'em up, up, up ♪ ♪ i'm on fire ♪ ♪ oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh-oohohh ♪ ♪ in the dark, dark ♪ new cheetos boneless wings. exclusively at applebee's. - hi, i'm steve. - i'm lea. and we live in north pole, alaska. - i'm a retired school counselor. [lea] i'm a retired art teacher. [steve] we met online about 10 years ago. as i got older, my hearing was not so good so i got hearing aids. my vision was not as good as it used to be, got a change in prescription. but the thing missing was my memory. i saw a prevagen commercial and i thought, "that makes sense." i just didn't have to work so hard to remember things. prevagen. healthier brain. better life.
1:35 pm
the ergo smart base from tempur-pedic responds to snoring- automatically. so no hiding under your pillow, or opting for the couch. your best sleep. all night. every night. save up to $500 on select adjustable mattress sets during the black friday event.
1:36 pm
>> neil: the president weighing in on consistent. he said we must acknowledge that the jury has spoken. more after this. before nexium 24hr, anna could only imagine a comfortable night's sleep without frequent heartburn waking her up. now, that dream... . ...is her reality.
1:37 pm
nexium 24hr stops acid before it starts, for all-day, all-night protection. can you imagine 24 hours without heartburn? >> neil: step one done. the house approving that massive spending plan. the price anywhere from $1.85 trillion and some say double that.
1:38 pm
one democrat didn't vote for it. not a single republican voted for it. the read right now to what is next from chad pergram. chad? >> good afternoon, neil. nancy pelosi says advancing the package through the house was the hard part. pelosi is known for passing bills by narrow margins. the same with this bill. pelosi lost one democrat. pelosi held the old record for the longest house speech. kevin mccarthy broke that mark. the speaker claims she ignored mccarthy's oratory. >> i didn't pay attention to it. i don't listen to most of the speeches on the other side because they're not fraught with meaning or fact. >> mccarthy warns the democrats should pay attention to what he said during his all-nighter. he said democrats are not tuned in when it comes to inflation.
1:39 pm
he believes voters will hammer moderate democrats from swing districts that voted yes. >> any democrat that sits in a seat that is a d plus 10, they're at risk of losing their race. i don't know how representative spanberger will defend this vote and run for re-election. >> passing the bill in the senate will be a challenge but liberals are daring moderates like joe manchin and kristen sinema to blow up the bill. >> it would be difficult for any democrat of any background to be the sole no vote to tank this for the entire country. i think there's limits to even what some of these folks would be willing to do. >> deficits could be a problem for manchin and the senate likely drops family leave. neil? >> neil: the deficit thing was interesting. according to the cbo, this is going to add about $367 billion
1:40 pm
in red ink the next ten years. that didn't seem to be a problem with the moderate democrats. what did you make of that? >> that's right. remember even the cbo said that the budget figure, the deficit figure is a little less than the $367 billion. they said something that they couldn't quite score was the $200 billion in extra revenue the democrats would bring in through enhanced irs enforcement. that bring it down in the hundred billion dollars range. a lot of these blue dog democrats were content with this. with these statistics, democrats or republicans, anybody can take that cbo score and use it to justified voting yes, use it to justify voting no. can it be a heat shield, fig leaf, whatever you want. >> neil: i like that. thanks, chad. to peter doocy at the white house and the president's reaction to this. of course, he had this physical
1:41 pm
to deal with today as well. how is the president dealing with this? >> the president is not talking a ton about this plan. we came from the turkey pardoning, a thanksgiving tradition here. for weeks, if not months, we've been listening to him talk about this plan even when it was in excess of $3 trillion in terms of price tag and he said it's not going to add a single cent to the deficit. the cbo came out to say that that's not true hover ten years. i asked about that earlier. >> the cbo's projection is that it's going to -- there's at least a $160 billion increase to the deficit over ten years. that is $16 trillion. so the president was not telling the truth. >> peter, just to go back to the facts here. the irs enforcement component, something recommended by former
1:42 pm
secretary hank paulson, larry summers, democrats and republicans of both parties who feel there could be savings over the course of time. >> so the biden white house is guessing that the irs enforcement that she just referenced could raise them about $400 billion over ten years and that would make it so it doesn't add to the deficit but the cbo's projection says that it's going to be about half of that. still the president is moving forward. >> i don't know. it's going to take awhile to get through the senate, i think. probably after thanksgiving. >> in 2010, it's worth remembering that president biden then senator biden or vice president biden told larry king that the cbo was the gold standard. now we're hearing the white house say, well, not in this case. neil? >> neil: all right, peter doocy. thank you very much for that at the white house.
1:43 pm
peter doocy. let's go to the guy you see run the congressional budget office. doug, you know, the cbo, i understand this idea between static accounting and looking at things that can be effected in an active way with programs that can make it hard to predict what you'll get out or the revenues that it can generate. right now it's a $367 billion gap over ten years between what is being spent and what is coming in. that can change. didn't seem to bother democrats who ended up voting for it, say one, so maybe this was an exercise in futility. what do you think? >> oh, i don't think so. we learned an enormous amount from the cbo score. yes, the deficit is 367 but the votes were locked in no matter that vote. i don't think they would have held a vote in the absence of
1:44 pm
getting it across. >> neil: some of the people were wondering the moderates made a big deal of getting the score. i wasn't faulting the cbo. wait a minute. they told you this isn't adding up and it's not free and won't add a dime to the deficit and you're still voting for it. >> well, but we just -- let's go to the senate and see what they do. what else do we learn? we learned that lots of these programs disappear after one, two, three years and that's what keeps the price tag down. if you extend them for the full ten years, this is suddenly $4.2 trillion and the deficit is $2.9 trillion. those are big numbers. they get attention in the senate. they deserve attention. the white house says it's going to fight inflation, bring women in to the labor force. how can it do it if they go away? they don't get it both ways. it cost as lot or it doesn't and none of those things happen. the senate recognizes this.
1:45 pm
they'll say okay, we have to modify this bill. those moderates in the house will have to take another vote. they'll have a lot of time to ask what is my tolerance genuinely for these deficits now that -- they ram rodded this through. i have to vote my conscious. that is coming. there will be time to sort through this irs issue where the cbo very clearly laid out their methodologies on their website. read it. the administration, the treasury, tell me where to find it. 400. they say believe it. the cbo did their job. they informed the congress about decisions that they have to make. the senate is taking that information. we'll see. >> you're referring to this irs enforcements provision that cost $80 billion into this. the administration says they're going to yield about $400 billion in revenues and savings over the next decade, i believe. the cbo said something closer to $120 billion. be that as it may, the process
1:46 pm
and the fact that the presidents of optimistic enough to say, you know, this will probably be happening after thanksgiving, i think he was referring to the senate taking it up. but the timeline is probability aggressive. is it even possible to gets it done this year? i mean even if it passes the senate, going back to the house to fix what will be probably be substantial differences. >> let me think. the original deadline was media outlets, right? so that's not hard. it's hard to believe that they would go to the senate, modify it, get it back to the house, send it to the signature. when they have to raise the debt ceiling, fund the government and do other things that are the bread and butter of being the congress and the administration. so that's a very full agenda. i see little chance that you'll see this piece of legislation turn into a law before january 1, 2022. >> neil: you explained this math to me.
1:47 pm
the democrats need all of those 50 senators and the tiebreaker with kamala harris. there's not a chance that a republican will vote for it as things stand now. if you're a betting man and you don't like to just tout debts on tv, would this -- can this get done? >> this can get done. i'll be honest, neil, i said at the beginning of the year, it was inconceivable that democrats could coalesce around some piece of the biden platform and get it across. every president will get one. i'm sure it will happen. now it's conceivable they might not get to yes. i'd say the odds are below 50/50 as we move. >> thanks, doug. if we don't chat again, have a great thanks 5ing. >> you too. >> neil: doug, thanks. bob cusack from the hill. i'll ask you the same question as we get to the senate in
1:48 pm
particular. the role of joe manchin who is against rushing something, against doing something immediately just to get it done. he's a crucial vote on this. he's raised serious concerns about what the house was coming up with and did approve today. so what do you think happens? >> well, i think joe manchin will have a lot to say. he's looking at the cbo score. he's gone after the house bill for being -- using budget gimmicks. he's certainly concerned about inflation. he does not like the family leave as chad pergram was saying earlier. so this bill is going to change and it's going to change to the liking of kristen sinema and joe manchin. those two. remember, kneel, bernie sanders wanted $6 trillion to $10 trillion. he settled on 3.5 trillion. now we're talking two trillion. that's the effect of sinema and manchin. they're going to change this bill and it's interesting to see if they can get it done by christmas. it will be tough.
1:49 pm
>> neil: a lot of people have criticized joe manchin. in the end he always votes with the democrats. but not before he whittled down the price tag of something. people forget that. again, kristen sinema similar newer to the united states senate. so this inflation concern that is built out there, some say government spending will make it worse. that did not seem to register with those that voted for it today. the president made it clear this will alleviate that. that far from making the inflation situation worse, this will actually curb it. what is the sense you're getting from the people that you talk to about that argument, that this is the cure for that inflation, not the agitator? >> it's a tough argument to make, neil. also, we're going to have -- i think that democrats will get something done at some point, whether that is before christmas or before january 1 or early in the new year. then we're going to see, okay,
1:50 pm
is this fixing inflation? this is not an argument when they launched this legislative initiative earlier this year, they didn't talk about inflation because it wasn't that much of an issue. i think it's a hard argument to make because we -- the united states has spent trillions of dollars and a lot of it necessary for covid. now they're spending trillions more. it's not covid. so i think the republicans have the advantage on that argument. >> neil: real quickly. the president's poll numbers and the vice president's poll numbers, the white house has been argumenting when this gains traction and the response to the infrastructure only measure about a week now, that those will turn around. we've seen little evidence of that with the infrastructure package. what do you make of their argument? >> they're hoping and hope is not a strategy, but at the same time, they're -- they've have to implement this law when it get it done, the transportation bill and this social spending bill.
1:51 pm
they have to avoid implementation disasters. the american people, whether they spend it good or bad, the american people decide, have the laws helped my quality of life. then we the have the election and find out. >> thanks, bob cusack, editor in chief of the hill. we'll have more coming up from kenosha where all things are quiet after this. as a dj, i know all about customization. that's why i love liberty mutual. they customize my car insurance, so i only pay for what i need. how about a throwback? you got it. ♪ liberty, liberty - liberty, liberty ♪ uh, i'll settle for something i can dance to. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪ ♪ ♪ only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪ you're a one-man stitchwork master. but your staffing plan needs to go up a size.
1:52 pm
you need to hire. i need indeed. indeed you do. indeed instant match instantly delivers quality candidates matching your job description. visit indeed.com/hire ♪ ♪ make more holiday at lowe's. store your favorite matc treats of the season.ion. and make a dinner to remember with lg must haves. shop early for black friday deals! and save up to $750 dollars on select appliances at lowe's.
1:53 pm
1:54 pm
1:55 pm
♪ ♪ >> a boost for booster shots, the cdc writing off on plans to make sure every adult is eligible for these booster shots. at the same time they are clearing a mud dharna and pfizer shots. dr. kevin campell, always great to have you. would you recommend a booster shot for all adults? >> i really do. i think it's very important we get these booster shots. the data is convincing for those over 65 and with chronic illnesses. there is evidence that so dominic those who are younger can benefit. it's been shown to decrease hospitalization and death and it
1:56 pm
may reduce transmissibility among the vaccination with a booster in the short term which as you know is important given that we have thanksgiving and christmas around the corner. >> a lot of people are going to hear this and say, you telling me now that i have to get booster shots or treat it like your annual flu shot? a lot of people say wait a minute, we thought the vaccines themselves were a one shot or two shot deal and they are not pleased with that. what do you tell them? >> i think that is certainly a valid concern but here is the thing, this is science, it is evolving and as physicians and regulators we have to roll with the punches. as new evidence comes to light we have to react and act on that evidence. i think what we are seeing is the vaccines are safe and effective and they really work but we see waning immunity and i don't have data sick dominic to suggest this but my gut tells me you're going to have a yearla
1:57 pm
yearly covid shot. i don't know that, that hasn't been proven but i wonder if that is not going to be the case. >> you say doctor, i don't know that but you are clear to say, like the tv anchor would do, i don't know. let me ask you about this other thing that is going on about getting kids as young as five fax and disney's cruise lines are requiring of kids as young as five starting january or they can't get on their boats. what do you of that? >> i really think it is very important for the youngest and most vulnerable in our population to be vaccinated. i know there's a lot of trepidation among adults and parents out there and what i say is talk to your pediatrician, talk to that person that you trust with your child's life and make an informed decision. we know they are safe, we know they are effective. everything has a side effect but also know that this is the most well studied vaccine in history because we really put it through the ringer.
1:58 pm
>> as good as things are looking here, we hear what's going on in austria where they are implementing a countrywide lockdown because of spiking cases. germany is having fits and starts with this but looking at more restrictions. brush off, i believe they are death count now is a pandemic high. china, you don't know what is going on besides sweeping measures to contain it. this whack-a-mole nature of the pandemic, what do you make of that and advise going into the cooler months? >> i think what we are seeing is really the fallout of not having a high vaccination rates. places like austria do not have a very high vaccination rate so it is a pandemic of the unvaccinated. i have a colleague in berlin, i was speaking with him last week and he said we having elevated rates but we also have open borders and other european countries aren't as well vaccinated coming into our
1:59 pm
countries. that is what we are seeing. there are cases among the vaccinated but they are mild. the folks dying in the hospital are unvaccinated. speak of the cases of people in icus, what percentage of them ae unvaccinated? >> in my experience it is the vast majority of those patients in the icu that are critically ill or unvaccinated and i think to a man and to a woman in those situations, also dominic all those patients are saying i wisd gotten a vaccine. take care of yourself and your family and get the vaccine. >> is a cardiologist you're looking at all the icu beds being taken and you wish the best for everybody. it means they are not available for heart patients and others with those needs. >> that is one of our big concerns. so many patients have heart disease that may be scared to come to the hospital because of the covid surge in their city.
2:00 pm
it's so important to get the care you need and yes, these icu beds are at a premium. they are gold to us so we can take care of our patients who need us for heart attacks and strokes and other medical problems. and yes, covid does occupy a lot of them. thankfully in the u.s. we are doing a better job of vaccination and seeing those numbers in my health care system really, really go down the right direction. >> thank you, doctor. ♪ ♪ >> jesse: hello, everyone. i'm jesse watters along with emily compagno, richard fowler, kennedy and greg gutfeld. it's 5:00 in new york city and this is "the five." ♪ ♪ >> the fourth count of information, we, the jury, find the defendant kyle h rittenhouse not guilty. as for the fifth count, we, the jury, find

77 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on