Skip to main content

tv   Your World With Neil Cavuto  FOX News  October 12, 2021 1:00pm-2:00pm PDT

1:00 pm
revealeded that gabby petito died of strangulation but did say if it was manual or done with some type of ligature. that's "the story" of tuesday, october 12. as always, the story goes on. we'll see you back here tomorrow at 3:00. have a great day. "your world" with neil cavuto is right now. >> we find the cause of death to be death by strangulation and manner is homicide. >> neil: we know at least this much. gabby petito was strangled. people don't know whether her boyfriend, brian laundrie, is the guy that strangled her. i'm neil cavuto. this is "your world" on top of a history that gripped the nation nor a better part of a month and growing questions as to where brian laundrie is. so much we don't know.
1:01 pm
this much we do. some closure for the family perhaps on the details of their daughter's tragic death. but so many questions besides. let's go to laura ingle with the latest. laura? >> as you mentioned, the cause of death made public by the coroner. he said she died by strangulation and explained how his team came to their conclusions on a zoom call. >> we look at the crime scene, the scene of the death, the scene of the body. the condition of the body. findings of autopsy and toxicology. >> that is how we arrived at the manner of death. so it depends on lots of circumstances. >> another key finding that petito had died three to four weeks before her remains were found, september 19th near the
1:02 pm
border of the grand teton national park in jackson, wyoming. this is a stretch of wilderness 30 miles down the road from where she was last seen, august 27 at a restaurant arguing with her before, brian laundrie. when asked about the condition of petito's remains, the doctor couldn't specify but was able to give some clarification as to why it took the coroner's office a month to deliver their findings. >> the main reason is we were very exacting in our examination and the detail by which the examination was done. we were waiting on toxicology. it was a matter of making sure that everything is right. >> the man hunt continues for petito's fiance who is considered just a person of interest in this case so far and has been missing for nearly a month according to his parents and his home in florida, where
1:03 pm
he returned from the couple's count -- cross country trip. we asked if the new findings would lead to charges against laundrie. no word yet. >> neil: thanks, laura. ted williams joins us. we know she was strangled. what does that tell you? >> well, there's a lot that we know, neil and a lot we don't know. i think we need to step back for a second and try to go through the timeline here. we know that gabby petito and brian laundrie were last seen at a restaurant august 27 in wyoming. on september 1, brian laundrie returns home to florida from the wyoming area without gabby.
1:04 pm
gabby and brian lived in the home with laundrie's mother and father. we know september 6-8 in deso poe park there in florida, brian laundrie and his family without gabby went hiking in that -- and camping. we know september 11th gabby was reported missing by her family, the petito family. we know september 13th laundrie, brian, goes missing himself. last seen allegedly in the carlton reserve. they started and searched the reserve. we know september 19 gabby's body was found in the grand teton park there in wyoming. we know september 23, brian was
1:05 pm
charged with the use of her credit card. those are some of the facts that are faced. now that we have found that the cause of death is strangulation, i think they're beginning to close in, meaning the fbi, on a suspect. as you know, neil, brian has been all along treated as a person of interest. i have a feeling that sooner than later those -- that will change and i to believe that there is enough perhaps maybe from all indications to charge brian with the strangulation here of this young lady. >> neil: i'm just going through the timeline with you, ted. doing the math backwards. if her body was found the 19th and it was in the park for upwards of three to four weeks, that would put roughly the time
1:06 pm
of her death around august 19 to august 26, which follows the prior videos we've seen about her and brian laundrie fighting. how do you piece that timeline together? >> well, what you have here unfortunately at this stage is more of a circumstantial evidence case. but there's been many individuals convicted on circumstantial evidence. what you have to show also here is something that we as lawyers say something called conscious of guilt. that is the fact that brian laundrie returned home on september 1 without gabby. you have to believe, neil, that if they lived in the house with brian's mother and father, the first thing you say, where is gabby? so it just is befuddling that
1:07 pm
september 6-8, you're going to go camping with brian without gabby? all of these things are part of the puzzle. i would have to also belief that at this stage, the fbi has some physical evidence. they're trying to put that together. i can tell you what defense attorneys are going to do, they're going to say yeah, they were out there in the grand teton park. they had a fight. brian then took off and came back across country. he doesn't know what happened to gabby. i guarantee you, that's the defense in this case. >> neil: so ted, the fact that they have not charged laundrie beyond anything stealing a debit card and gabby's debit card, why would they hold off on that? >> mainly because they were collecting and they are still
1:08 pm
collecting evidence. when you look at the manner of death here or the cause of death being strangulation, they knew that right away. the reason being is right in this area of your body, you have somebody called a hyoid bone. when you're strangled, that bone is normally crushed. that would have find that out right away. now what they're trying to do is backtrack and find out where brian has been all of this time. as you know, brian is now missing. we don't know where he is. he could be alive, he could be dead for all we know. but the fbi is clearly looking at him. he's a fugitive. >> neil: all right. ted, thank you very much. brian laundrie, you know, has been in this thing for the better part of 5 1/2 weeks. petito's family says they want brian found alive.
1:09 pm
let's go to mark eiglarsh, criminal defense attorney. the coroner was very limiting with anything. what do you think is going on behind the scenes? >> first, he wanted to make sure that he didn't find himself a guest of the local jail by revealing anything more than the statute allows him too. by law in wyoming, the only thing he can reveal is the cause of death. the reporters got more out of him like she wasn't pregnant and other details. for the most part, we wanted to know did he do it. i defer to the fbi. that's how we did side. was there any kind of bruising. all right. we can't talk about that. did you see any physical evidence that it was hands versus an object? cannot tell you that. still, a lot that they know that they're not telling us. with good reason. >> neil: so mark, the fact that
1:10 pm
they have not upped the charges beyond death and a credit card, can there be ways to determine that, that they don't have enough information or they do and they're piecing it together? >> here's my strong feeling having been in the criminal arena for 30 years. they know he did it. we know he did it. he enjoys the presumption of innocence in a court of law. in a court of public opinion, there's nobody likely else that did it. they're calling him a person of interest publicly. but we know before today's announcement, he's the suspect, the number 1 suspect. you can call him whatever they want. maybe they haven't removed that label because it might be better to get him in. you're merely a person of interest. we want to talk to you. that might increase the chances of getting him. in as ted williams correctly indicated, they're absolutely reviewing and gathering further
1:11 pm
evidence. the minute you arrest him, his speedy trial clock starts to tick. meaning the amount of time that they have to bring him to justice as long as the defense doesn't delay the trial begins. so why arrest him for that right now unless you have to? they can arrest him if they could find him on the theft charges. then they can bring charges right away. >> neil: you know, mark, what if laundrie is dead? we might never know. >> which i suspect, by the way. >> neil: you do? >> i do. i thought that from day one. i hope not. i would love to see a trial, love to see justice done. that was my gut feeling. i think that he knew that we would find out exactly what he did. strangulation, he knew -- he's smart enough to know that that would leave the clear type of physical evidence that we would all know what he did. he wasn't going to sit around
1:12 pm
for that. >> what if there's a wild card element to this, like a third person's dna or samples are discovered at the scene, complicating the case and maybe yet an alternative reason why they have not upped charges at this point. what do you think? >> i think that that is possible. that is 100% going to be the likely defense assuming there's ever a trial. i left her. yeah, my dna is all over here because i was with her. that doesn't prove anything. so yes, there's some third person that came upon this pretty young gal and did things to her that you can't say that i did. all the defense needs is a reasonable hypothesis of innocence. while all the evidence seems to suggest that he probably did it, it's not enough. it's proof beyond the exclusion of every reasonable doubt. >> neil: you think laundrie's family knows more than they're
1:13 pm
saying? >> yes. there is no other reason why you would stand that kind of public scrutiny with people metaphorically with pitchforks outside your home. you're getting crucified in the court of public opinion. the only reason why you do that is because you're looking out for your boy and you'd rather take it in the court of public opinion than have him spend the rest of his days in a cage. >> neil: thanks, mark. criminal defense attorney. following this slow, winding process of trying to find out where brian laundrie is. indeed if he's still alive. we have more coming up, including a fight on capitol hill right now. at least a push to put aside the deal ceiling argument for now. i just stress, for now, after this.
1:14 pm
lowe's showrooms have a variety of stylish flooring you'll love for years to come. like stainmaster lifetime stain resistance limited warranty. order now, get your flooring installed with help from lowe's. home to any budget. home to any possibility.
1:15 pm
as a dj, i know all about customization. that's why i love liberty mutual. they customize my car insurance, so i only pay for what i need. how about a throwback? ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪ only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪ new projects means new project managers. you need to hire. i need indeed. indeed you do. when you sponsor a job, you immediately get your shortlist of quality candidates, whose resumes on indeed match your job criteria. visit indeed.com/hire and get started today. hello, for the last few years, i've been a little obsessed whose resumes on indeed ma with chasing the big. idaho potato truck. but it's not like that's my only interest. i also love cooking with heart-healthy, idaho potatoes. always look for the grown in idaho seal.
1:16 pm
>> tech: when you get a chip in your windshield... trust safelite. this couple was headed to the farmers market... when they got a chip. they drove to safelite for a same-day repair. and with their insurance, it was no cost to them. >> woman: really? >> tech: that's service the way you need it. >> singers: ♪ safelite repair, safelite replace. ♪ working at recology is more than a job for jesus. it's a family tradition. jesus took over his dad's roue when he retired after 47 year. now he's showing a new generation what recology is all about. as an employee-owned company, recology provides good-paying local jobs for san franciscans. we're proud to have built the city's recycling system from the ground up, helping to make san francisco the greenest big city in america. let's keep making a differene together.
1:17 pm
>> neil: all right. how much to cut? that's what this battle on capitol hill comes down to. it's not between democrats and republicans. it's really between democrats and fellow democrats. moderates and progressives divided over just how much to slice off of the $3.5 human infrastructure plan. moderates want to hack it a lot. progresses barely much at all. the president in the middle of
1:18 pm
that food fight. jacqui heinrich with more. jacqui? >> good afternoon. speaker pelosi said in a dear colleague letter last night that she was hearing from her caucus, her broader caucus, that they would really prefer as they whittled down this package to do fewer programs over the longest period of time, fully fund fewer programs to get through rather than try to truncate those programs, how long they're funded and do the whole enchilada. they're going through this process because they're trying to get moderates and progressives to sign on to the same plan that would then pass in the upper chamber in the senate. pelosi really appeared then today to backtrack on that message that she was hearing that the preference was to do fewer programs well and she said today that the timing would be the very first thing to go. so really conflicting messaging
1:19 pm
there. i asked the white house whether they have given a push in either direction, whether the president prefers one avenue or the other. she said the american people shouldn't be thinking ant cuts really at all. take a listen. >> a cut, it's not a cut just because someone wants to propose something bigger on paper. >> the president doesn't prefer one avenue or the other? >> the president wants to make fundamental change in our economy and he feels coming out of the pandemic is exactly the time to do that. if we don't do it now, if we don't address the cost of child care to go back to josh's question earlier, if we don't address the climate crisis, assure that universal pre-k is a reality now, we won't have the same opportunity to do it for some time. >> so jen psaki's answer just there that if democrats don't take big action now, they won't have another opportunity for quite some time.
1:20 pm
she later denied that that was allow did chance in the mid-terms. she's speaking more to the moment that we're in and not a political statement. progressives are digging in. they say they don't want to cut anything, any programs. they would rather cut the timeline because they don't want to prioritize certain programs over others. they also added that some of the programs will need to be funded for the whole ten years. the climate program in particular. so really setting the markers there, not giving a lot. the white house says talks are continuing including at the staff level and with the president. again, not a lot of progress over the last few days and we're creeping up on the deadline. >> neil: thanks, jacqui heinrich on all of that. now to capitol hill where the house will take up the measure to raise the debt ceiling and keep the government going. $480 billion for a couple months. aishah hasnie on all of that.
1:21 pm
aishah? >> hi, neil, a couple months, two months when you think about it. we're talking half a trillion to keep the lights on for now less than eight weeks. the house comes back tonight, 5:00 p.m. to vote on that. check this out. new information just coming in to the newsroom here. 190 members, about 40% of the entire house, has active proxy letters to vote remotely. 100 of those that did that today. democrats and republicans that just didn't want to come back to the hill to vote on this very important measure. even if they do pass it, we're still not out of the woods just yet that is because senate majority leader chuck schumer struck a deal with mitch mcconnell to extend the nation's credit limit by $480 billion. it was a move to get dems to put a dollar figure a price tag on how far they were willing to stretch the debt. mcconnell has said, look, we're not going to do that again when
1:22 pm
the short termfunding bill expires in death. and 11 republicans were helping him pass this debt extension. meanwhile as jacqui mentioned, we still don't have a top line nor the social spending bills. moderates and progresses are battling this out. we don't know what is in the plan. we don't know how much it's going to cost. nancy pelosi telling reporters, you know what? it's the media's fault for americans not understanding the president's multi-trillion dollar bill. listen. >> do you think you need to do a better job at messaging and going forward, how you sell this and -- >> i think you could do a better job of selling it to be frank with you. every time i come here, i go through the list. >> okay. we could do a better job. pelosi is urging members to focus on a few items that they
1:23 pm
could do well rather than packing the bill with a ton of programs. the first thing to go is trimming the length to reduce the costs without undermining their impact. aoc hitting back on the idea tweeting this. we can't negotiate the reconciliation bill down to nothing and then she lays out exactly how much money she would like to see for the things that she's supporting, immigration and affordable housing as progressive senator bernie sanders who reportedly will not budge on expanding medicare. he keeps calling on senators joe manchin hand kyrsten sinema, the two must-have votes to please tell us what do you want in this bill, please just tell us. neil? >> neil: amazing. she's blaming you and your colleagues for not knowing what is in the package when she herself has said we don't have a finished package yet. goodness. all right, aishah. i don't know how you do this without excedrin or a lot of
1:24 pm
drugs. man, that's the kind of catch 22 there. how do you know what to cut when you're not telling what is in there to cut. look, meantime, southwest airlines tried to dig out of the trouble with thousands of folks that have been stranded. they said things are getting better. you'll hear from the pilot's association president that says all this could happen again, sooner than you think. after this. some days, you just don't have it. not my uncle, though. he's taking trulicity for his type 2 diabetes and now, he's really on his game. once-weekly trulicity lowers your a1c by helping your body release the insulin it's already making. most people reached an a1c under 7%. plus, trulicity can lower your risk of cardiovascular events. it can also help you lose up to ten pounds. trulicity is for type 2 diabetes. it isn't for people with type 1 diabetes. it's not approved for use in children. don't take trulicity if you're allergic to it, you or your family have medullary thyroid cancer,
1:25 pm
or have multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2. stop trulicity and call your doctor right away if you have an allergic reaction, a lump or swelling in your neck, severe stomach pain, changes in vision, or diabetic retinopathy. serious side effects may include pancreatitis. taking trulicity with sulfonylurea or insulin raises low blood sugar risk. side effects include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, which can lead to dehydration, and may worsen kidney problems. show your world what's truly inside. ask your doctor about once-weekly trulicity. subway® has so much new it didn't fit in our last ad. like the new artisan italian and hearty multigrain bread. it's the eat fresh refresh™ at subway®. it's so much new there's no time for serena! wait, what?! sorry, we don't even have time to say they were created by world class bakers! oh, guess we did! seriously?!
1:26 pm
do you have a life insurance policy you no longer need? now you can sell your policy, even a
1:27 pm
term policy, for an immediate cash payment. we thought we had planned carefully for our retirement. but we quickly realized that we needed a way to supplement our income. if you have one hundred thousand dollars or more of life insurance you may qualify to sell your policy. don't cancel or let your policy lapse without finding out what it's worth. visit conventrydirect.com to find out if you policy qualifies. or call the number on your screen. coventry direct, redefining insurance. >> neil: southwest is saying we're pulling out of this mess. so why do the airline's pilots say it could happen all over again? after this. constipated? set yourself free with fleet. gentle constipation relief in minutes. little fleet. big relief. try it. feel it. feel that fleet feeling. for people who are a little intense about hydration.
1:28 pm
neutrogena® hydro boost lightweight. fragrance-free. 48 hour hydration. for that healthy skin glow. neutrogena®. for people with skin. retirement income is complicated. as your broker, i've solved it. for that healthy skin glow. that's great, carl. but we need something better. that's easily adjustable has no penalties or advisory fee. and we can monitor to see that we're on track. like schwab intelligent income. schwab! introducing schwab intelligent income. a simple, modern way to pay yourself from your portfolio. oh, that's cool... i mean, we don't have that. schwab. a modern approach to wealth management. >> neil: southwest airlines trying to get back to normal. good luck with that. a lot of concern that they're still in a world of hurt.
1:29 pm
let's get the latest from grady trimble. grady? >> looking a lot better here today. what we're seeing now is people's whose flights were cancelled the last couple days coming in. now they are able to catch flights. that's because if you look at the departure boards, there's a few delays. right now no cancellations southwest says across the country. 90 cancellations. that's around 3,300 flights. a big improvement from the past few days when hundreds of flight were cancelled. the airline continues to blame bad weather, which then causes problems leaving planes and crews out of their positions. southwest in a statement says teams have been working diligently to restore stability to the network. the operational challenges were not a result of southwest employees demonstrations. that is a reference to the claims that pilots and other workers had protested the
1:30 pm
vaccine mandate. the airline says that's not the case. the faa says that's not the case. even the union that represents the pilots that is opposing the vaccine mandate in the court says it's not the case. what seems to be the issue is staffing problems, inadequate staffing at southwest. really a lot of the airlines, neil. the true test is heading into the holidays if they can rise to the demand without enough workers. >> neil: that could be a huge problem. we're going to take that up with casey murray, the southwest airlines pilots association president. casey, thank you for joining us. you have been warning and the unions are warning this could happen again. why do you think that could be? >> well, thanks for having me, neil. it's a pleasure to be on. you know, what we haven't seen from southwest through any of this -- this has been going on a few years, this summer was the
1:31 pm
big exclamation point of what happened this weekend. we haven't seen a proactive statement from the company for what they're going to do to address this issue moving forward. what proactive steps. as the union, we've been pushing them that we identified and we've been pushing this argument for about four years that there are inefficiencies in the progress and i.t. challenges as well. we would like to see them make a statement how this isn't going to happen again. >> you and your colleagues were waging these sick-outs over mandatory vaccination policies, that never happened. >> no. it's tuesday now. looking back on the weekend. sick rates were right in line with the summer.
1:32 pm
so those were normal. our pilots, the most productive in the world are picking up time, meaning flying on their off days and that number hasn't changed. oddly enough, doing the forensics on this, just -- you're the first one to hear this, but we realized today that the block hours had increased over 8% this weekend from the previous weekend. so you're alluding to staffing issues. that has to play into it as well. >> neil: what does that mean? i didn't understand that. the block hours. what are you referring to? >> total block hours that the airline is flying. so just over actually 8.2% increase from the previous weekend. so not saying that was the issue that caused this this weekend, but it is absolutely a contributing factor in the time it takes to recover.
1:33 pm
>> neil: so it puts a demand on pilots and the entire system. is that your argument for this happening again? >> it is. internally, how they reroute pilots, how when a flight cancels, how they get the pilots to where they need to be, i might have a perfectly fine trip and they move me off to cover something and have to move another pilot in. a pilot has to cover that pilot and it's a domino effect. it's a complex network. it's not hub and spoke. it's point to point. so there's some complexities there. if we can see them driving some efficiencies, we think it would help moving forward. >> neil: casey, thanks for that. very interesting. again, we have reached out to southwest. we have not had any luck. meantime, keeping an eye on inflation. you ever get that 70s feeling all over again? i'm not just talking bell bottoms and leisure suits.
1:34 pm
i'm talking long gas lines and prices going nuts in grocery stores. it's happening again, after this. (naj) at fisher investments, our clients know we have their backs. (other money manager) how do your clients know that? (naj) because as a fiduciary, it's our responsibility to always put clients first. (other money manager) so you do it because you have to? (naj) no, we do it because it's the right thing to do. we help clients enjoy a comfortable retirement. (other money manager) sounds like a big responsibility. (naj) one that we don't take lightly. it's why our fees are structured so we do better when our clients do better. fisher investments is clearly different.
1:35 pm
1:36 pm
i earn 3% cash back at drugstores with chase freedom unlimited. so i got cards for birthdays, holidays, graduations, i'm covered for everything. which reminds me, thank you for driving me to the drugstore. earn big time with chase freedom unlimited with no annual fee. how do you cashback? chase. make more of what's yours. people everywhere living with type 2 diabetes are waking up to what's possible with rybelsus®. ♪ you are my sunshine ♪
1:37 pm
♪ my only sunshine... ♪ rybelsus® is a pill that lowers blood sugar in three ways. increases insulin when you need it... decreases sugar... and slows food. the majority of people taking rybelsus® lowered their blood sugar and reached an a1c of less than 7. rybelsus® isn't for people with type 1 diabetes. don't take rybelsus® if you or your family ever had medullary thyroid cancer, or have multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2, or if allergic to it. stop rybelsus® and get medical help right away if you get a lump or swelling in your neck, severe stomach pain, or an allergic reaction. serious side effects may include pancreatitis. tell your provider about vision problems or changes. taking rybelsus® with a sulfonylurea or insulin increases low blood sugar risk. side effects like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea may lead to dehydration, which may worsen kidney problems. wake up to what's possible with rybelsus®. ♪ please don't take my sunshine away ♪ you may pay as little as $10 per prescription.
1:38 pm
ask your healthcare provider about rybelsus® today. >> neil: all right. here's the proof you need that inflation is not going away any time soon. container ships are backing up and getting goods to port is next to impossible. doesn't ashley webster know it and see it right now. ashley? >> i've experienced it first hand, neil. consumers right now being urged to be patient and flexible. doesn't take much as we know to trigger a round of panic buying on hoarding, especially when you see empty store shelves. costco and walmart are putting limits on sales of bath tissue as new shipments fail to arrive, new items being added to that list. take a look at pictures from the daily mail.
1:39 pm
stores with near empty shelves. stores like home depot, cvs pharmacy, target and best buy. the biden administration is now scheduled to hold a roundtable meeting with private sector companies including walmart, ups and home depot to discuss the broken supply chain and ways to fix it. right now it's taking roughly 80 days to transport goods across the pacific. the log jam continues to grow. there's 146 cargo ships off of the california coast with hundreds of billions of merchandise going nowhere. retail giants have chartered their own cargo ships at $140,000 a day, twice the normal cost. walmart, home depot, costco, some retailers using the pricy
1:40 pm
options making sure that electronics arrive in time for the holiday season. but there's no guarantee. 20 to 25% of the stranded goods are unlikely to make it in time for black friday, which is the kickoff for the holiday shopping season. best advice, start your christmas shopping right now. neil? >> neil: scary stuff. inflation bedevilled the jimmy carter presidency. a lot of people saying the same thing is happening to the joe biden presidency. karl rove has more on that. is history repeating itself? >> let's hope it doesn't. you and i both remember, inflation hit by 1979 and 1980. we're seeing a spike in inflation. the cpi, the consumer price index in 2019 was rising at an average of 1.9%. in 2019, 2.3.
1:41 pm
dropped down to 1.4 in 2020. this year, it's 4.2%. so significant jump up. we're seeing it priced into a lot of things that we need like gasoline, which is up dramatically. things like eggs and milk are up. some of the same contours are there. we've had an energy crisis in the 1970s. different kind of a situation than we have today. we did have government stimulus like in 1977 under carter. we obviously seen that with president trump and march of last year with the covid bill. february with biden's covid bill. we're flooding the country with money and ultimately that will be reflected i suspect in higher prices. >> neil: you think about it, the last two bouts of serious inflation in the 70s with opec and the oil embargo and later on in the late 70s with jimmy
1:42 pm
carter starting with oil and then spreads beyond this. in either case, it was a short life until this idea that this is transitory, we'll get over it, that we put the kibosh to. then the question is how long this drags on. >> we don't know. what we had to do in the 70s and 80s is raise interest rates dramatically. so far the mark has not shown a desire to raise interest rates. we've gotten hints that they will begin tapering, slow the flow of money into the market. but we don't know. that's one of the scary things about inflation. once you turn it on, you don't know how to stop it without having damage elsewhere in the economy and it's not easy to stop and certainly not easy to stop by pushing a button. >> neil: the administration is convinced that if they can get over their differences, that is between the moderates and the progressives to settle on an
1:43 pm
acceptable figure for this super, you know, human infrastructure package, whatever they're calling it. something in the $2 trillion range. you'll goose the commission and also goose inflation. i wonder if they're regretting what they hope for now. >> absolutely. we can't spend our way to prosperity. we may be able to keep people together in a time of great difficulty like last year. but the reason that they're seeing their numbers drop on things like taxes and the economy and jobs is because people have a sort of an innate understanding that you can't simply go out there and tax all -- raise all of these taxes and spend this money on an expansion of the welfare state and not have bad impact on the economy. that's why i think people are turning against the administration. not because they haven't raised taxes yet but because they're
1:44 pm
talking about it. not because they haven't passed a gigantic expansion of the welfare statement but they're talking about doing it. particularly independents. look at it. they're turning against the administration big time. those are the people that will decide the mid-term elections. >> neil: and think about it, we talk about 5 to 6% wage gains. 8 to 9% year over year cost gains. so whatever people are adding in their wallet, they're forking out more from their wallet and not feeling the impact. >> and they understand it. they live it when they go to fill up at the gas station and see it's nearly $4 a gallon. you're paying $1.71 for eggs. last month was $2.60. they see these things throughout their lives and it has an effect. this is really bad for the administration if they don't wake up and realize that they have something coming their way that they don't want to have.
1:45 pm
>> neil: it's hard to swallow when things go all and up and up. thanks, karl rove. meantime here, we talk about the labor shortage here and it's gotten so desperate a lot of restaurants and managers and executives are helping along the front line just to get the food out. food for thought. a big cheese who is doing just that after this. hello, for the last few years, i've been a little obsessed with chasing the big idaho potato truck. but it's not like that's my only interest. i also love cooking with heart-healthy, idaho potatoes. always look for the grown in idaho seal. ♪ limu emu & doug ♪ got a couple of bogeys on your six, limu. they need customized car insurance from liberty mutual so they only pay for what they need. what do you say we see what this bird can do? woooooooooooooo...
1:46 pm
we are not getting you a helicopter. looks like we're walking, kid. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ lowe's showrooms have a variety of stylish flooring you'll love for years to come. like stainmaster lifetime stain resistance limited warranty. order now, get your flooring installed with help from lowe's. home to any budget. home to any possibility.
1:47 pm
1:48 pm
[swords clashing] - had enough? - no... arthritis. here. new aspercreme arthritis. full prescription-strength? reduces inflammation?
1:49 pm
thank the gods. don't thank them too soon. kick pain in the aspercreme. >> neil: all right. you've heard a lot about the worker shortage in this country. it's so bad right now that at stores, restaurants across the country right now, the managers, executives are stepping in to help out to do whatever it takes to get the food to customers, including my next guest. a.j. is the ceo of raising canes, if you're unfamiliar with their products, their chicken is to die for. they're very popular. the problem is, so popular, they have a limited staff and now bringing out all the ranks including highest ranks to get the food out. a.j., good to have you back. how are things now? >> neil, if you have any idea of
1:50 pm
being a restaurant owner, i'd say wait a minute. it's tough to be a restaurant owner these days. product prices are through the roof and of course now the labor shortage is -- it's tough out there. applicant flow is the lowest we have seen it. we have restaurants across 31 states in the united states and a few other places. we have over 40,000 crew. we really need about 50. so we're short. >> neil: but you're offering decent pay, benefits, all of that and can't get enough people. what is the story? >> you know, honestly, i don't know. i don't know what the fundamental issues are from the bottom. yes, the rates have gone up. we've seen 20% wage inflation in our business through this year. that's $100 million to spend. so yes, applicant flow is the lowest it's ever been.
1:51 pm
>> neil: so when you bring shot shots like yourself in to help out, obviously shows it's all hands on deck. i get that. how long you think that will continue? >> so look, we really function as a family, neil. you know this. every one of us, we joined the company, plus get trained as a fry cook and a cashier before we join in our day job. so in times like these, we want all hands on deck, show the support, the comradery. we have 750 people all of our corporate staff jumping in and helping. it's not going to fix the problem but will booth morale and band together and fight against it. it's working. they put the word out there. pushing out, recruiters, fry cooks, cashiers. we're whatever we need to do to serve our customers. hopefully it will make a difference. >> neil: what would make a difference if you gave them the
1:52 pm
food for free. close the deal that way. are you thinking of it? >> we. have 150 restaurants, out of 630, we have, there's some kind of limits hours. whether it's cutting down a channel, cutting out the dining room. we have to cut out something. we cannot stretch our crew any further. >> neil: give them the goody stuff. all the chicken you can eat and a nice wage and you're off to the races. free advice, a.j. your customers swear by you. you must be swearing at the situation. >> yes, sir, it's tough times for labor. time tour to be a restauranteur. we operate on razor thin margins. we know that. we make pennies on the dollars. when things like this happen -- my own favorite restaurants in
1:53 pm
town that i have to, half the dining room is shut down. >> neil: that's not good. >> some don't open for lunch. >> neil: thanks, a.j. you'll come through this. good food, good people. by the way, this whole backdrop is the virus. vaccinations and all that. in texas, the crackdown on banning mandates across the state, what that means after this. ♪ darling, i, i can't get enough of your love babe♪
1:54 pm
♪girl, i don't know, i don't know,♪ ♪i don't know why i can't get♪ applebee's. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood. is now a good time for a flare-up? enough, crohn's! for adults with moderate to severe crohn's or ulcerative colitis, stelara® can provide relief, and is the first approved medication to reduce inflammation on and below the surface of the intestine in uc. you, getting on that flight? back off, uc! stelara® may increase your risk of infections, some serious, and cancer. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you have an infection, flu-like symptoms, sores, new skin growths, have had cancer, or if you need a vaccine. pres, a rare, potentially fatal brain condition, may be possible. some serious allergic reactions and lung inflammation can occur. lasting remission can start with stelara®. janssen can help you explore cost support options. i'm searching for info on options trading, and look, it feels like i'm just wasting time. that's why td ameritrade designed
1:55 pm
a first-of-its-kind, personalized education center. oh. their award-winning content is tailored to fit your investing goals and interests. and it learns with you, so as you become smarter, so do its recommendations. so it's like my streaming service. well except now you're binge learning. see how you can become a smarter investor with a personalized education from td ameritrade. visit tdameritrade.com/learn ♪ your shipping manager left to “find themself.” leaving you lost. you need to hire. i need indeed. indeed you do. indeed instant match instantly delivers quality candidates matching your job description. visit indeed.com/hire
1:56 pm
1:57 pm
♪ ♪ >> you probably heard of the state ordered vaccine mandates. how about in texas, banning those mandates? texas governor greg abbott showing that order, effective today. gretchen from dr. kevin campbell, the president's ceo, cardio despite training. do not think that he would necessarily come to the doctor, would be hearing me talk about eating fried chicken with my prior guests. [laughter] doctor, always good to have you. you are a big believer in getting people vaccinated. you try to get the politics out of it. i always appreciate that. this move in texas is going in a different way, to say "stop it with a vaccine mandates, period." >> i think this is a problem. there has never been a one-size-fits-all approach to treating covid or to handling the pandemic. i think these mandates need to
1:58 pm
be left to the local municipalities, the county city level. i don't think we should have statewide mandates. i certainly don't think we should have federal mandates. i think these are big problems that -- more political than they are about the public health crisis we are in the middle of. >> a lot of people who, for various reasons, our anti-vaccine, or certainly antigovernment telling them to get a vaccine, but we are noticing, whether it's this or other factors, resulting right now in cases falling sharply in this country, down 22% in the latest week, i guess what i'm asking you, is it the mandate thing, or do you really care, as long as those numbers go back? >> i think this is about getting folks vaccinated. i know it's not popular to say, but we are going to do better. we are going to defeat covid.
1:59 pm
we will not defeat it without widespread vaccination. there are some cases where mandates have made a difference, particularly new york, where you are mandating that a lot of workers there get vaccinated. it's making a difference. >> do you advise that your patients get this booster shot? >> i've been clear. i think it's very important for those over 65, and those with a chronic medical condition to get a booster shot. the data is clear. it can boost the immunity. we are waiting for other manufacturers to be approved through the fda. i expect they will be approved as well in short order. >> quickly, kids getting a vaccine, pfizer is waiting for young as one is 5. what do you think of that? >> it's important that we vaccinate the youngest and most vulnerable. we want to make sure the data is
2:00 pm
safe and effective end is not going to harm the children. the data we have seen so far before the fda looks really good. get those kids vaccinated. >> doctor, thank you. i was only kidding about the fried chicken. [laughter] as if i would ever eat that. of course not. thank you, doctor. always good having you. a reasoned approach to all of this. everyone stay healthy. here comes "the five." >> jesse: hello, i'm here with big mcdowell, geraldo rivera -- this is "the five." ♪ ♪ president biden facing a nightmare, christmas time, thanks to rising inflation and a supply crisis to crisis. gifts are going to cost a fortune, lucky enough to snag anything. store shelves are looking pretty empty as u.s. courts struggle to

45 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on