Skip to main content

tv   Prime Minister on Investigation into Lockdown Parties  CSPAN  January 31, 2022 10:29am-12:25pm EST

10:29 am
if you want to get rid of that, the only solution would be what? term limits. host: tom from pennsylvania, recounting an experience. guest: i'll admit, i had to drive up to schuster's old district a few years back. his son went on to share the same committee. he was facing an incredibly tough republican primary, and he said exactly what i expected him to say. this transportation committee is not my father's transportation committee. he was trying to do highway bills that did not have earmarks, and he was facing really tough primaries >> you can watch the rest on the c-span our video app or website, c-span.org. now come alive to london were
10:30 am
prime minister boris johnson is addressing reports regarding's of parties held at his official residence during britain's covid-19 lockdown. >> despite all of the evidence shown, this relationship is one of the most significant. so why is it that government stubbornly refuses to make changes -- >> the honorable lady is right to raise the issue. we have the independent review led by josh mcallister, they would be happy to meet with you to discuss the issue. thank you. i met with my leaders and heard how on recent inspections that no account is taken of absence due to covid. it should take into account covert impacts. >> i knew your offering --
10:31 am
[indiscernible] >> before we move onto the first statement, i would like to assure the house following the comments made at the start of questioning. >> i don't think it is quite appropriate with what i'm going to say. before we move on, i like to assure the house, there will be an opportunity to pay tribute to our friend and colleague. that will take place wednesday as honorable members welcome the opportunity to pay tribute at that point. i should inform the house that given the brief period of time available to review the report, i will allow leaders their position a little longer to question the prime minister and
10:32 am
i'm sure the prime minister will have longer as well at the beginning. >> with your permission, i would like to make a statement. first, i want to express my deepest gratitude to all the people who have contributed to this report, which i placed in the library of this house and the government has published for everyone to read. first, i want to say sorry. i am sorry for the things we did not get right and sorry for the way this matter has been handled. it is no use saying this or that was within the rules and no use saying people are working hard -- this pandemic was hard for everyone. we ask people across the country to make the most extraordinary sacrifices.
10:33 am
not to meet loved ones, not to visit relatives before they died and i understand the anger the people feel. mr. speaker, it is not enough to say sorry. this is a moment when we look at ourselves in the mirror and we must learn. while the metropolitan police must yet complete their investigation, that means there are no details to specific events in the report, i have course except the general findings in full. above all, or recommendation we must learn from these events and actonel. with respect -- act now. with respect, she says and i quote no conclusions should be drawn or inferences made from this other than it is up to the police to consider relevant material in relation to the instance, but more broadly, she finds there is significant learning to be drawn from these events which must be addressed
10:34 am
immediately across government. this does not need to wait for the police investigations to be concluded. that is why we are making changes now to the way downing street and the cabin is run so we can get on with the jobs, mr. speaker and the job of the government. first, it is time to sort out what is really called a fragmented and complicated leadership structures of downing street, which she says -- to meet the demands of the expansion. we will do that. including by creating an office of the prime minister with a permanent secretary number 10 -- second, mr. speaker, it is clear from the report at this time not just to review the civil service and special advisor codes of conduct wherever necessary to
10:35 am
ensure they take account of the recommendation, but also to be sure codes are properly enforced. third, i will be seeing more in the coming days about the steps we will take to him prove the operations and work of the cabinet office, to strengthen cabinet government and improve the vital connection between number 10 and parliament. mr. speaker, i get it. and i will fix it. [overlapping chatter] and i want to say to the people of this country, i know what the issue is. [overlapping chatter] it is whether this government can be trusted to deliver and i say, yes. we can be trusted. we can be trusted.
10:36 am
we will get it done. we are setting up around the united kingdom, i've been to one today which is grading tens of thousands of new jobs. we said we would get this country through covid and we did. the festus role in europe and the fastest booster program of any major economy, we have been able to restore freedoms faster than any probable economy. at the same time, we have been cutting crime by 14%, building 14 new hospitals and rolling out gigabit broadband to deliver all the promises of the 2019 agenda so we have the fastest economic growth of the g7. we have shown we have done things that people thought were impossible. [overlapping chatter] and we can deliver. mr. speaker, i remind -- the reason we are coming out of
10:37 am
covid so fast is partly because we doubled the speed of the booster rollout and i can tell the house and this country we are going to bring the same energy and commitment to getting on with the job to delivering to the people and the mission to unite and level up across the country. i commend the statement to the highest. [overlapping chatter] the leader of the opposition. [overlapping chatter] >> thank you, mr. speaker. i would like to thank sue gray for the diligence and professionalism she is carried out to work. it is no fault of hers she has only been able to produce an update, not the full report. the prime minister repeatedly assured the house the guidance was followed and the rules were followed. but we now know the 12 cases have reached the threshold for criminal investigation.
10:38 am
which i remind the house means there is evidence of serious and fragrant breaches of lockdown, including the party on the 20th of may, 2020, which we know the prime minister attended. and the party on the 13th of november, 2020 in the prime minister's flat. there can be no doubt the prime minister himself is now subject to criminal investigation. the prime minister must keep his promise to publish sue gray's report in full when it is available. it is already clear the report disclosed is the most damming conclusion possible. the british public has been asked to make the most heart-wrenching sacrifices, a collective trauma endured by all , enjoyed by none. funerals have been missed, dying relatives unvisited. every family has been marked by
10:39 am
what we have been through. revelations about the prime ministers behavior have forced us all to rethink and relive those darkest moments. many have been overcome by rage, grief and even guilt. guilt that because they stuck to the law, they did not see their parents one last time. guilt that because they did not bend the rules, that children went months without seeing friends. guilt that because they did as they were asked, they did not go into visit lonely relatives. people should not feel guilty. they should feel pride in themselves and their country because by abiding by those rules, they saved the lives of people they will probably never meet. they have showing the deep public sphere and love and respect for others that is
10:40 am
characterized this nation as its best a story about covid is one of the people that stood up when they were tested. that will be forever tainted by behavior of this conservative prime minister -- by routinely breaking the rules he set, the prime minister took us all for fools. he held people sacrificing contempt, he showed himself unfit for office. his desperate denial since he was exposed have only made matters worse. rather than come clean, every step of the way, he has insulted the public's intelligence. now, he is finally calling back on his usual excuse, it is everybody's fault but his. they go, he stays. even now, he is hiding behind a police investigation into criminality [overlapping chatter]
10:41 am
mr. speaker, he gleefully treats what should be a mark of shame as a welcome shield. but prime minister, the british public armed force, they never believed a word of it. they think the prime minister should do the decent thing and resign. of course, he will not. because he is a man without shame. and just as he has done throughout his life, he has damaged everyone and everything around him along the way. his colleagues have spent weeks defending the indefensible. touring tv studios, parroting his absurd denial. preying upon trust between the government. >> from a neighbor, i expect better from my neighbors. >> preying upon the trust
10:42 am
between the government and public, eroding democracy and the rule of law. margaret thatcher once said the first duty of government is to uphold the law. if it tries to bob and weave and duck around that duty when inconvenient, then so will the governed. mr. speaker, to govern this country is an honor. not a birthright. it is an active service to the british people. [noises of agreement] it requires honesty, integrity of moral authority. i cannot tell you how many times people have said to me that this prime minister's lack of integrity is somehow priced in. his behavior and character do not matter. i have never accepted that. and i never will accept that.
10:43 am
whatever your politics, whichever party you vote for, honesty and decency matters. democracy depends on it. cherishing and nurturing democracy is what it means to be patriotic. there are members who know that, and they know the prime minister is incapable of it. the question they must now ask themselves is what are they going to do about it? they can keep their reputations, the reputation of their party, the reputation of this country on the bonfire that is his leadership. or they can spare the country from a prime minister totally unworthy of his responsibility. it is their duty to do so. they know better than anyone how unsuitable he is for high office , many of them knew in their hearts that we were never to come to this monday -- inevitably come to this one day.
10:44 am
continuing his leadership will mean further misconduct, cover-up and deceit. it is only they that can end this farce, the eyes of the country are upon them. they will be judged why the decisions they take now. [noises of agreement] [overlapping chatter] >> there is a reason he said absolutely nothing about the report. mr. speaker, the report says absolute nothing to substantiate the tissue of nonsense -- absolutely nothing. a formal republic prosecution -- [indiscernible] [overlapping chatter] mr. speaker, he chose to use this moment to continually
10:45 am
prejudge a police inquiry. that is what he chose to do. he reached his conclusion, i am not going to reach any conclusions. he would be entirely wrong to do so. i direct him again to what sue gray says in her report about the conclusion that will be drawn from her inquiry about what the police may or may not do. mr. speaker, i have complete confidence in the police and i hope they will get on with their job and i do not propose to offer any more commentary about it and i do not believe he should, either. i must say to him, the country, with the greatest respect, what i think the country wants to focus on is the issues that matter to them. getting on, we are taking this country forward and mr. speaker,
10:46 am
today we have delivered more freedoms of the new court as i said when he voted 48 times to take the country back to the eu, we have the most open society, most open economy. government, open economy in europe, the covid vaccine rollout, the booster rollout. never forget he voted to keep us in the european -- today, we are standing together with nato allies against the potential aggression of vladimir putin when he wanted, not so long ago, to install a prime minister a labor leader who would have abolished nato. i can say to him, he can continue with his political
10:47 am
opportunism, we are going to get on and i am going to get on with the job. [overlapping chatter] >> thank you, mr. speaker. the covid regulation and pose significant restrictions on the freedom of members of the public. they had a right to expect their prime minister to have read the rules, understand the meaning of the rules. and those around them to have been the same. set an example in following those rules. what the report does show 10 downing street is that 10 downing street was not observing the regulations they imposed on members of the public. others around him read engine understand or they did not think the rules apply to number 10. which was it? [overlapping chatter] >> it is a very important
10:48 am
question. i want to hear the answer before other people go. five minutes, sir. >> that is not what the report says. [overlapping chatter] i suggest she waits to see the conclusion of the inquiry. >> thank you, mr. speaker. it is a pleasure to follow the former prime minister. like many that went before her, dignity about the importance of the office, the state, of truthfulness and the prime minister we were well advised to focus on those that have not dishonored the office like he has done. mr. speaker, we stand here today faced with the defamation of public trust in government and the institution of the state.
10:49 am
a prime minister being investigated why the police. here we have it. the long-awaited sue gray report, what a farce. it was carefully engineered to be a fact-finding exercise with no conclusions. now, we find it is a fact-finding exercise with no facts. [laughter] so let us talk facts. the prime minister has told the house all guidance was followed. there was no party. covid rules were followed. i believed it was a work event. nobody believed them then, and nobody believes you now, prime minister. [noises of agreement] that is the crux. no if's, but's. he has willfully misled parliament. [overlapping chatter]
10:50 am
>> order! >> inadvertence. [overlapping chatter] >> the prime minister and overtly told the house in december no parties had taken place, but they had. mr. speaker, the prime minister's personal integrity is in a ditch. but business is changing everything around it. it is his own intention. it struck the prime minister to publish the sue gray report in full, for the prime minister, obstruction by the house to publish as required. mr. speaker, amidst allegations of blackmail, the members opposite have been defending the indefensible.
10:51 am
wait for the report, we were told. here it is, it tells us very little except it does state there were failures of leadership and judgment by different parts of number 10. it states some events should not have been allowed to take place. that is the prime ministers responsibility. if there is any honor in public life, he would resign. [overlapping chatter] and the prime minister laughed. we ought to remind ourselves of 150,000 plus of our citizens have lost their lives. family members that could not be with them, that is the site people will remember. a prime minister laughing at the public. i extend a hand of friendship to all of those that have sacrificed, i do not extend a hand of friendship to the prime minister who is no friend of mine.
10:52 am
where is the shame? where is the dignity? meanwhile, the police investigation, every moment the prime minister stays, trust in government and the rule of law is ebbing away. the litany of rule breaking, the culture of content, the utter disdain for the english felt by the public who has sacrificed so much. what the public sees is a man who has defaced the office of prime minister, dodged accountability and blamed his staff. presiding over corruption and tainted the institutions of the state. in short, this is a man -- he can laugh. but the public knows. the public knows this is a man they can no longer trust. he has been investigated by the
10:53 am
police, he misled the house. he must now resign. >> would like to withdraw that last comment? >> i gave the evidence of the eighth of november. >> you are going to have to withdraw. >> the prime minister -- [overlapping chatter] >> unless you withdraw, i will have to stop, and that is not good. >> i am standing up for my constituents who know their prime minister has lied and misled the house. [overlapping chatter] >> i will give you one more chance as leader of the s&p, i'm going to give you this chance. please. that man has misled the house. >> i'm sorry it comes to this, i
10:54 am
am sorry the leader of the party has not got the decency to withdraw those words in order for this debate to be represented by all political leaders. would you like to inadvertently? >> if the prime minister has an of really let the house, i will say that. >> we are going to leave it at that. prime minister. >> mr. speaker, i am grateful to the gentleman withdrawing what he said, he was wrong then and i am afraid he is wrong in his analysis. i apologize, as i have said. all the severing -- suffering people have had, the anger people feel about what has taken place in 10 downing street. but i have got to tell the honorable gentlemen for much of what he said, his best course is to simply wait for the inquiry.
10:55 am
>> can i just say, i think the honorable member has withdrawn. >> the prime minister may have an advert may misled the house. -- inadvertently misled the house. >> you withdraw your earlier comment and replace it with inadvertently. >> it is not my fault the prime minister cannot be trusted. >> under the power given to me by governing order number 43, i asked the honorable member to withdraw from the house. that is alright, we do not need to bother. let us move on. >> does my honorable friend recall ever since he joined the party 30 years ago, until we got him to number 10, he enjoyed my full support.
10:56 am
i am deeply concerned by these events and very concerned indeed by some of the things he has said and has said to the british public and our constituents. when he kindly invited me to see him 10 days ago, i told him i thought he should think very carefully about what was never the best interest of our country and the conservative party. i have to tell him, he no longer enjoys my purport. >> mr. speaker, i must -- respectfully, my honorable friend, the admiration i have of him, i simply think he is mistaken in his views and i urge him to reconsider upon full consideration of inquiry. >> thank you.
10:57 am
mr. speaker, the prime minister told us and i am quoting, repeatedly been assured since allegations emerged that there was no party and no covid rules are broken. we now know 12 of the 16 parties are subject to a police investigation and the remaining four, sue gray says she has seen a serious failure to observe the high standards at number 10. she has seen failure of leadership, failure of judgment and the prime minister thinks this is funny. so just how bad things have to be before he takes personal responsibility? that is what everyone in this country wants him to do, and resign. >> mr. speaker, we are doing is taking the action i have described to set up a prime minister department, improve the operation of number 10 and we will be taking further steps,
10:58 am
mr. speaker, in the days ahead. >> speaker, the inquiry has found serious failings and has suggested changes in the way number 10 is run. there is a real opportunity to take this new office of the prime minister and insure further improvements are made so we can carry on delivering. this government will carry on delivering on the things that matter most to people while also making sure the government within a number 10 is improved. [overlapping chatter] >> i think my friend, i think he is right. i think the opposition want to keep their focus trained on this aspect. that is their decision. i think what people in this country want us to do is get on with the job they want us to do. that is to serve them, mr. speaker. and talking about ourselves.
10:59 am
-- stop talking about ourselves. >> there is no word in the english-language for a parent who has lost a child. no widow or orphan for that award. -- horror. the losses beyond words. and hundreds and thousands of parents have experienced that during this pandemic. many had to bury their children alone, many could not be there with them at the end. meanwhile, number 10 partied. does the prime minister understand, does he care about the enormous hurt his actions have caused to bereaved families across our country? we finally accept the only decent thing he can do now is to resign. prime minister: mr. speaker, i do care deeply about the hurt felt across the country about the suggestion that things were
11:00 am
going on at number 10 that were in contravention of the covid rules and i understand how deeply people feel about this and how angry that they are, and i have apologized several times, mr. speaker, but i must say i think we should wait for the outcome of the inquiry before jumping to the conclusions that he has and in the meantime we should focus on the issues that matter to the british people. >> mr. speaker, the public and this house have been frustrated for having to wait for sue gray and the metropolitan police and today the prime minister has announced his new office at number 10. please can you let this house know what specific structures will be put in place to that this house can hold it accountable? >> mr. speaker, we'll make sure there's a new permanent secretary who will be accountable to me and we'll make sure the codes of conduct have been applied to civil servants
11:01 am
are properly enforced and all of that will be properly communicated to the house, mr. speaker and what i want to see is much better communication and links between number 10 and the entirety of the house of commons and we will do that. >> to george holland! >> hear, hear. >> mr. speaker, yesterday at the local tesco store in my constituency, a constituent asked me more in sorrow than anger, why doesn't the prime minister realize as every day goes by, he damages the reputation of our country abroad and around the world? why he said does the prime minister realize that and how would he respond to that constituent? prime minister: mr. speaker, i think the reputation of our country around the world is built on the vaccine rollout in
11:02 am
europe in major colonies and built on having the fastest growth therefore in the g-7 and built from our ability to bring our allies together to stand up against vladimir putin, that is what the world is focused on and what i'm focused on and frankly what he should be focused on. >> thank you, mr. speaker, can my right noble friend remind the opposition and the labor party the back benches of the conservative party needs no reminders how to dispose of a failing leader. and can he also when he is restructuring number 10 concentrate on the fact the country wants results. the country -- we can't see the point of such a large number 10 superstructure, that it needs to be slim downed and streamlined and can i commend his determination to restore cabinet
11:03 am
government and his own results over the next few months on which he will be judged. prime minister: mr. speaker, i thank my right old friend very much for that and think he's entirely right and more than content to be judged, mr. speaker, on the result we've already delivered and the results we will deliver and i'm sure we'll be greatly assisted by the reforms of number 10. >> thank you, mr. speaker, anybody who actually read the report can only wonder what may be left out. can the prime minister give the house an undertaking that as soon as he is able, he will release the full unredacted record to this house. >> hear, hear. >> mr. speaker, sue gray has published everything that she can and i propose we wait until
11:04 am
the conclusion of the inquiry. but in the meantime, mr. speaker, i think it is peculiar the report is being simultaneously hailed as damning but also condemned for not having enough in it. mr. speaker, it can't be both. >> president truman had on his desk, "the buck stops here" so the prime minister was right to apologize for the events that happened in number 10 downing street. two weeks ago i reminded tom howard that tony blair suggested there should be an office of prime minister so that it could be governed not from 70 white hall but from the building itself. could the prime minister tell me how he envisioned the office or work and will the permanent secretary be based in number 10 controlling what civil servants
11:05 am
do in number 10? prime minister i'm grateful to my friend. i think the house does understand even as many people outside don't, that number 10 actually hosts about more than 400 officials on a busy day. they have a huge amount to do and we need to make sure -- no, mr. speaker, they're working very hard is what they're doing. and we need to make sure that there are proper lines of authority and that we sought out the command structures and what we're doing. >> hear, hear. >> thank you, mr. speaker, whatever the police decide, this update severely limited as it is, would be enough to fade any other feminist to design. >> hear, hear. >> this prime minister could resign # of honor but he's trying to dismay and delay and
11:06 am
take his party down with him. is it not clear that with notable exceptions, the back benches should discover their backbones. >> hear, hear. prime minister: mr. speaker, i've answered several questions like that and i must really ask him to look at the report properly and also to wait for the inquiry when it comes. >> thank you very much, mr. speaker. we've been asked to keep some sense of perspective and i think that's right. the question here is whether those who make the law obey the law. that's pretty fundamental. and many have questioned, including some of my constituents, the prime minister's honesty and integrity and fitness to hold that office. in judging him, he rightly asks us to wait for all the facts. sue gray has made it clear in her update today she could not produce the meaningful report with the facts. so can i ask the prime minister,
11:07 am
the honorable lady asked him to which he didn't give an answer when sue gray produces all of the facts in the full report after the police investigation will he commit 20 -- to publish it immediately and in full? prime minister: mr. speaker what we've got to do is wait for the police to conclude their inquiries is the proper thing to do. and people think the expectation is it wouldn't necessarily be published and at that stage i will make a decision as to what to publish, mr. speaker. >> mr. speaker, i imagine i'm going to be asked to wait for something else but can i simply ask the prime minister what the
11:08 am
prime minister present at the event in his flat on november 13, i assume he doesn't need other people to tell him whether he was there or not. was he at the flat event listed in the report on the 13th of november? prime minister: mr. speaker, i'm very grateful for the honorable lady for inviting me to comment on something that is being investigated, but i have great respect to her and simply not going to indulge in running -- >> mr. speaker, saying sorry is very important but my right honorable friend will be judged by the deeds he undertakes as a result. i heard today a proper acknowledgement he needs to look in the mirror. i'm glad to hear about reforms to the center of government that i think are timely, in fact
11:09 am
they're overdue as he knows from previous conversations i had with him but will he give me in the house this undertaking in corporating the metropolitan police inquiry he will show the appropriate tone and approach that i think the british public demand of him. as a person of serious purpose up to the level of events. that's what we expect from him now and what i am expecting him to do. prime minister: i thank my rights honorable friend very much and want to say i have great admiration for the metropolitan police and full confidence in the police and just suggested they be allowed now to get on with their job. >> thank you, mr. speaker, we now know there's a criminal investigation into the party that took place on the 13th of november, 2020, in his flat to
11:10 am
celebrate the exit of mr. cummings. on november 8 last year he came to that dispatch box and flatly denied the very idea any such party attend -- he's shaking his head in answer to my honorable friend on wood green, he said it had not happened. now is he advertently, mr. speaker, misled the house? so the very least he should do is get to that dispatch box and correct the record. >> hear, hear. prime minister: no, mr. speaker, i stand by what i said and i would simply urge him to wait for the outcome of the inquiry is what he needs to do. >> thank you, mr. speaker. may i advise my right and
11:11 am
honorable friend publicly what i have said to emissaries from his campaign team privately, that it is truly in his interest in the government's interest and in the national interest that he should insist on receiving the full unredacted report immediately as i believe he can and that he should then publish the unsensorred version without any further delay. >> hear, appear. >> hear, hear. prime minister: i think advice has been taken and sue gray published everything she thinks she can that is consistent with that advice. >> mr. speaker, if the police investigation were to result in serious criminal charges resulting in a criminal trial, i
11:12 am
don't know, for example, misconduct in public office, or conspiracy to avert the course of justice, how would the prime minister feel about having to give evidence? prime minister: i'm not going to speculate about hypothetical questions with which frankly i reject. >> you will know it's a rare event for any prime minister to come to this house and apologize, a difficult thing for any prime minister to do but because of the police investigation, does any right honorable friend agree with me there should be due process, there should be free and unfettered access to all at number 10 but most of all there should be no prejudging or undermining of the police inquiry before it's concluded? prime minister: yes, i completely agree and am shocked by some of the commentary i've
11:13 am
heard from the benches opposite about that matter today, mr. speaker. >> thank you, mr. speaker, the thing is this is who the prime minister is. a serious failure to observe high standards. failures of lead areship and judgment, excessive consumption of alcohol in a workplace and gatherings that should not have been able to take place, staff too frightened to raise concern, parties in his own private flat. a leopard doesn't change its spots, does it? every single one who defends this will face this again and again and again because he still won't admit to the house when he came to us on november 13 and said the guidance and rules were followed at all times and on december 1 all the guidelines were observed that those things simply were not true?
11:14 am
if he won't correct the record today, there's nothing accidental about this, is there? it's liberty. >> hear, hear. prime minister: i don't know what he's trying to say, mr. speaker. look, i direct him again to the point made by sue gray that no conclusions should be drawn or interferences made from this other than it is now time for the police to consider the relevant material and that is what the house should allow them frankly to do. #. >> mr. speaker, it is absolutely right that over the past few weeks our constituents across the house have been writing to us on this hugely important issue and i don't in any way wish to minimize its importance. but in my constituency, i have military bases and i'm receiving
11:15 am
information from their families and the potential role their loved ones may see on the russian-ukrainian borders. some may treat this lightly if you for families everybodying military do not treat it lightly. would my right honorable friend give me an assurance notwithstanding the importance of the issue we're discussing at present, his government will start addressing other important matters that concern my constituents and the constituents of the people across this house? >> hear, hear. prime minister: very much indeed, he's completely right and these matters are important and we ought to wait for the inquiry but in the meantime the u.k. should play the leading leader -- role we are and bring the west together to make a united front with putin with the economic sanctions we need, mr. speaker and is the priority of the government right now.
11:16 am
>> when the prime minister was eating birthday cake with his pals people were standing outside nursing home windows looking in at their loved ones contrary to what the prime minister said, any objective reading of sue gray's report makes it absolutely clear the rules were broken multiple times in downing street. will the prime minister continue the habit after lifetime and keep blaming everybody else and will he stand up and take responsibility and just go? prime minister mr. speaker, he really has to read the report and look at the report and wait. everything he said is not substantiated and should wait for the inquiry. >> millions of people, millions of people took seriously a communications campaign
11:17 am
apparently designed by behavioral psychologists to bully, to shame and terrify them into compliance with minute restrictions on their freedom. what is my right honorable friend's central message to those people who meticulously comply with all of the rules and suffered terribly for it, including, i might say, those people whose mental health will have suffered appallingly as a result of the messages his government was sending out? prime minister: i want to thank all the people for everything they did and together have helped us control the coronavirus and i think thanks to mare amazing actions in coming forward to get vaccinated we're now in a far better position than many other countries around the world so i have a massive get of gratitude to all the people i described.
11:18 am
>> a question asked by my memorable friend, i'm not asking for a running commentary but would like to know whether the prime minister was present in his flat at the event on november 13, 2020? prime minister: i'm really grateful for the question and understand why people want me to elaborate on all sorts of points but i'm not making a running commentary on a subject that i have to wait for them to conclude. >> the update from sue gray is extremely limited and not possible at present to provide a meaningful report. so would my right noble friend confirm at the earliest opportunity will have the report published in full? prime minister: mr. speaker, what we will do is wait until the police have concluded their inquiries and see what more we
11:19 am
can publish. that is what we're going to do. >> thank you very much, mr. speaker. as the prime minister will recall on november 8 on the prime minister's questions, i asked him, was there a party in downing street on november 13 and now the report says in the bullet point on the first page that there was a gathering in the number 10 downing street flats, a gathering in the number 10 downing street on the departure of a special adviser. did he inadvertently mislead this house and put us all out of our agony and stop dragging democracy through the mud? prime minister: mr. speaker, i stick by what i said to her and she should wait, if she cares about democracy and due process, she should wait until the inquiry has been concluded. >> thank you, mr. speaker. as a nondrinker who long ago
11:20 am
realized sobriety delivers everything alcohol promised, i've noticed with interest that a drinking culture exists on downing street and precedes my right old friend's tenure by some decade. does he like me welcome sue gray's report and will he commit to fixing that culture? prime minister: yes, mr. speaker, i thank you very much and will take up the relevant parts of her recommendations and make sure they're properly enforced by the civil service. >> thank you very much, mr. speaker. the shocking incompetition tense of the met police meant we have a report that's been gutted but thankly we didn't need sue gray to tell us about the level of dishonor and infection that's infected downing street but so many in the party opposite. it's been excruciating to watch so many m.p.'s and ministers willing to defend the indefensible and calculating
11:21 am
what's in their own party's political interests rather than what's right for our country. complicit in the same decaying system where the pursuit of power trumps integrity. the prime minister is certainly a bad apple but the whole tree is rotten and the whole country wants reform. couldn't we make a start with the overhaul of the prime ministerial code given that it could be policed by the prime minister of the day because they would be a person of honesty and integrity, that assumption has been so widely and comprehensively and utterly discredited. >> hear, hear. prime minister: mr. speaker, of all the things she said, we are reforming theed a mine storial code but with all the things she said i disagree with her most passionately what she said about the police. i think they've done an outstanding job and allow them
11:22 am
to get on with that job and await their conclusion. >> mr. speaker, if i just draw attention to finding number 7 in this report which documents actually number 10 downing street has morphed from a small place for the prime minister to a self-endorsed bureaucracy all its own and i personally am tired of reading sunday newspaper which is read on officials briefing against ministers, delays at number 10 as i speak to the minister getting frustrate. so i ask my right honorable friend, call me old-fashioned but ministers are accountable for their decisions taken in their name, not flunkeys in number 10 and will they ensure the reform ensure accountability? prime minister: i very much enjoyed our joint trip this morning and can tell her yes, i do thinking it's vital as sue gray say we learn from this and strengthen cabinet government and the principle of ministerial
11:23 am
responsibility. >> i thank you, mr. speaker. i have spoken by my own experience about the epidemic many times. i do not claim my experience is special, indeed they were all too common. # but as a member of parliament i have a responsibility to provide a voice for the agrieved families. make no mistake, this report is utterly damning and suggests that the prime minister and the government actions were resist to public health. haw on earth can the prime minister stand there an objectify this and does he now accept his actions were a complete and absolute failure to
11:24 am
judgment? prime minister: i thank you very much and repeat what i said, i'm deeply sorry for all the suffering that's been throughout this pandemic, whether his constituents or anyone in the country as to his points about what's in the report, i don't think his views are substantiated by what the report says but think he should wait to see where the inquiry goes and what i propose to do. >> thank you, mr. speaker. does he agree that those of the opposite have used up far too much parliamentary time debating this? and i can assure my right honorable friends the residence established, they want the prime minister to focus on the prime ministers matters. >> the prime minister can make a statement. i'm not going to attack the prime minister from making a statement, certainly wouldn't expect it from his own side. [laughter] >> thank you, mr. speaker.
11:25 am
i think possibly i want to say how strongly i agree with my honorable friend because yes, of course, it's vital we make this statement. yes, of course it's vital we learn from sue gray's report and vital we take action, mr. speaker, is what the government is doing. it's also vital, frankly, we get on with the people's priorities and what this government is also doing. >> thank you, mr. speaker, just to summarize, i didn't know there was a party, it wasn't a party but a work meeting and was a party but i wasn't there. why is it, the prime minister mentioned international negotiations, why should anybody, any country, any government with whom we enter into negotiations deals at all and take any kind of word from a government that clearly acts with audacity of forethought and start from the beginning?
11:26 am
prime minister: mr. speaker, this is the government that took the country out of the e.u. and did what was necessary and this the government bringing the west together to stand up against vladimir putin. and these are the important considerations. as for the rest of what he said, mr. speaker, it's nonsense but he should wait for the police inquiry. >> my constituents are very keen to see the energy prices fixed. will the prime minister assure me he won't be destructed by any of this and get on with the job and come forward with a solution to a that issue? >> hear, hear. prime minister: yes, my honorable friend is completely right and we not only need to address consumer energy costs but physical industrial energy costs as well and i know my right old friend the chancellor will be bringing forward a package of measures as soon as he can. >> mr. speaker, during his
11:27 am
statement the prime minister kept referring to "we" when he talks about the sorry saga sue has reported. mr. speaker, at his briefing, it's his inability to tell the truth about it that's the issue. he's the prime minister. does he not take any personal responsibility at all for this disgraceful theatrics? prime minister: i've taken full responsibility throughout the pandemic. >> mr. speaker, as with the report on owen patterson, i thought it was important to support the process and read the report. that's because it's important to separate fact from allegation and to know what the report actually says rather than what i would wish it to say. two lessons that the leader of the oppositions need to learn. i promised my constituents i asked my prime ministers to support the recommendations in the report, there are four, every government department has a clear and robust policy in
11:28 am
place for the consumption of alcohol in the workplace. that access to the garden including for meetings should be invitation only and under a controlled environment. that there should be easier ways to show such concerns, basically whistle blowing, and too much responsibility and expectation is placed on the senior official whose principal function is the direct support of the prime minister. those are the facts in the finding of the report. will the prime minister accept them in full? prime minister: yes, mr. speaker, i do, and i said i accept the findings of the report in full. the general findings. and we are immediately taking steps to implement the changes. >> the prime minister just said here he accepts the findings of the report. one of them says that there were failures of leadership and judgment by different parts of number 1509 cabinet offices at different times. he provides the political leadership and political judgment at number 10. does he accept his own personal
11:29 am
wrongdoing and failings in this regard? prime minister: mr. speaker, not only have i accepted full responsibility throughout, but i have apologized repeatedly in the house for any misjudgments i may have made myself but again, i must wait for the conclusion of the inquiry. >> it seems a lot of people attended events in may 2020 and the one i remember attending was my grandmother's funeral, was a wonderful woman and served the community of the counselor and served the conservative association loyally many years. i joked for three hours that the only people of the funeral, only 10 and others had to watch online and didn't hug my parents and gave an eulogy and didn't even go to her house for a cup of tea and drove back three hours. does the prime minister think i'm a fool? prime minister: no, mr. speaker.
11:30 am
and i want to say how deeply i sympathize with him and his family for their loss, and all i can say is again, that i'm very, very sorry for misjudgments that may have been made by me or anybody else in number 10 and the cabinet office, and i can only ask him respectfully, mr. speaker, to look at what sue gray has said but also to wait for the conclusion of the inquiry. >> thank you. >> it's important the house can trust what ministers tell us from that dispatch box. on december 28 regarding events at number 10 downing street the prime minister said, i repeat, i have been repeatedly assured since these allegations emerged there was no party and that no covid rules were broken. that is what i've been repeatedly assured. that the people who gave him those assurances led to him
11:31 am
inadvertently misleading the house. so have those people faked any disciplinary proceedings? prime minister: mr. speaker, first of all, he needs to, i'm afraid, to await the conclusions of the police inquiry because he, i'm afraid, he's -- the premise of his question may or may not be substantiated. what i can tell the house is yes, as i said before, there certainly will be changes in the way we do things and changes in number 10. >> mr. speaker, not ever have consistently the lowest infections in the country. we followed the rules. so many of my constituents have been obsessed the damage this is doing to the government is enormous. it's about integrity and trust. can i ask again because people want to know how can the prime
11:32 am
minister now satisfy my constituents and assure me that full accountability and transparency on the findings of the final gray report will swiftly follow? prime minister: mr. speaker, i will assure and do what i can to have the most clarity possible. there are legal issues that we face, mr. speaker, by some of the testimony that's been given. but in the meantime, what i think sue gray wants us to do is wait for the conclusion of the investigation, the inquiry and to support the police in their work. >> thank you, mr. speaker. does the prime minister need somebody else to tell him whether he was there or he is there now?
11:33 am
prime minister: i refer the honorable woman to the answer already given. >> number 10 downing street is aunusual amalgam of work space and private home. what steps will the prime minister take to ensure the lines between each of them are made clearer in the future? prime minister: mr. speaker, you will see that there are records to that very problem in sue gray's report and we're going to take steps, mr. speaker, to clarify things and make sure that there is greater transparency in the lines of command. >> thank you, mr. speaker. does the prime minister recognize that repeatedly making statements including from that dispatch box which turn out subsequently to be untrue is a serious problem or does he not recognize that? prime minister: mr. speaker, i really think he's prejudging things and should wait for the
11:34 am
conclusion of the inquiries. >> thank you, mr. speaker. i welcome the fact my right and noble friend has come to this house and is the first step in responding to this report and also rightly outlined the relationship between number 10 and this house needs to improve. so will he reassure me he'll continue to come to this house to update us on the implementation on the recommendations in sue gray's report and how that will happen? prime minister: yes, mr. speaker, of course. i will only be too happy to assure the house we intend to make changes starting from now and i will keep the house updated. >> thank you, mr. speaker, when there's a failure of leadership and inappropriate culture in an organization, the person at the top should go. this outrageous debacle happened in spite of the prime minister. this has happened because of the prime minister.
11:35 am
will the prime minister now dot right thing and resign? >> hear, hear. prime minister: mr. speaker, the answer is no because i'm going to wait for the conclusions of the inquiry before any of the assertions she's made can be established. >> mr. speaker, i thank the prime minister for his statement, particularly the acknowledgement of the enormous sacrifice so many british people went through and as somebody who is unable to say goodbye to my grandparents at this time last year, can i welcome his sincere apology? as we wait for the metropolitan police findings, am i -- can my right honorable friend give me a categorical assurance it will be full speed ahead for standing up for our friends in ukraine and fixing the cost of living
11:36 am
prices? >> hear, hear. prime minister: yes, mr. speaker, this is exactly what the government will do and no one will be distracted for one minute. >> thank you, mr. speaker. in the general findings to sue gray's report, there's a reference to the failure of leadership and judgment by number 10. does the prime minister accept that sue gray was largely referring to him? prime minister: mr. speaker, i really think he should recite the whole report but i've told him that i accept the findings that sue gray has given in full and we are acting on them today. >> mr. speaker, i welcome my humble friend's apology. he's taken responsibility and he's apologized and right that he should do so. to my right and noble friend the prime minister confirm that tackling the small boat crisis will remain top of the new
11:37 am
office of the prime minister because that's what the country wants to see. they want to see this prime minister getting on with the job. >> hear, hear. prime minister: that's right, mr. speaker and why we brought forth the nationality borders bill that the support of this government is going through which that party voted against. >> you see by some of the answers today, the answers and questions asked of the prime minister, is he not sorry? does he recognize the long term damage he risks doing to historic norms of democracy? is it right that they are sacrificed with the interest of one man who refused to do what the country knows needs to happen? can he point to one single example where he personally has improved the standards of public life? prime minister: how about, mr. speaker, deciding to honor the wishes of the people and
11:38 am
entering brexit in spite of their attempts, mr. speaker, to subvert democracy. >> mr. speaker, delivery is key. the prime minister delivers. he delivered on brexit. he delivered with furlough and to ensure that businesses were able to survive. they can shut it down because they don't like it, mr. speaker, that's fine. he delivered one of the best vaccination programs in the world. he delivered a country that is coming out of a pandemic and an economy that is thriving with people who sadly lost their jobs in the last two years having more vacancies than ever to choose from. >> hear, hear. >> nobody talks about those things, mr. speaker, because all sight of those things -- >> order. >> i think the prime minister just got a grip of what he's about to say. prime minister? prime minister: we're going to
11:39 am
deliver the people's policies and keep delivering from wales. >> thank you, mr. speaker. mr. speaker, one of the hardest things i have to do is speak to the family of ismail mohammad, he was 13 years old when he died on march 136789 he was one of the youngest people to lose his life to covid. i'll admit, mr. speaker, i broke down in the court. ismail's family like other constituents followed the rules. many were scared to go out. many of them had to bury their loved ones without being there. many of them walked past the covid memorial wall in my constituency showing their loss with their hearts. does the prime minister understand and not feel ashamed that his actions have brought disrepute to the office that he holds? prime minister: mr. speaker, of course i share the honorable
11:40 am
lady's grief to ismail and i sympathize with his family and understand the pain and loss that everybody has experienced throughout this country. but mr. speaker, all i can say is i will continue to do my best to fight covid as i have done throughout this pandemic and to deliver to the british people and can't say more than that. >> thank you, mr. speaker. running an office is the required management expertise of running literally dozens of offices with hundreds of people within is one thing. running the country and getting the big decisions right are quite another. can i welcome the prime minister's commitment to have a look at what's happening to number 10 and those management structures so we can deliver on
11:41 am
the promises and the brexit promises we gave to the people of this country? prime minister: i thank him very much and why we're taking up the findings of the sue gray report to make sure that number 10 works with the whole of the government and works better and focused very much on covid but we now need to deliver exclusively on the great priorities of the people. >> no bother. >> hear, hear. >> let me say goodbye to my colleague as she died of cancer. we didn't get to hug her and were just like many millions of people across the u.k. we followed the rules while he and his colleagues didn't and it makes me sick to my stomach that we are not going to get this report because the police were so late to the party, the same police happy to arrest women, and it makes me sick to my stomach that he does not understand the anger of millions
11:42 am
of people across the u.k. because sometimes, mr. speaker, an apology won't cut it. it's time for action. it's time for him to resign. prime minister: mr. speaker, i sympathize very much with the experience of her constituents and all the pain that people have gone through throughout this pandemic but must say to her she is prejudging the issue in question today. i don't think that's the right thing to do. i have a great deal of respect for the police and think they should be allowed to get on with their job. >> thank you, mr. speaker. i think we've got to remember that we're all talking about the breaking of the rules and the rules clearly are under question what happened. but the rules put out by this government have got this country to where it is and we have to remember those rules did the right thing. so yes, there are going to be
11:43 am
consequences in number 10 for any rules that have been broken but please remember the right thing was done by the instigation of the rules in the first place. and i have to say when i'm talking to my constituents out there that are saying yes, we need to ask the question about what's happened there but can we stop letting that be the only sore subject and can the opposition talk about something else as well, please? do we need to move on and level up this country? prime minister: i thank my honorable friend very much and think he's right, the rules are important and it was amazing and remains amazing to see the way people pull together throughout the pandemic, and i thank people very much. but what we need to do if we possibly can, mr. speaker, if the opposition i think would agree, we now need to focus on the issues that matter above all to the british people, fixing the cost of living, rebuilding our economy, clearing the covid pandemic. that's what the country is doing.
11:44 am
>> mr. speaker, i've known the prime minister a long time and always got on quite well. he's not a wicked man but a man that for years in every job has got by flying on the seat of his pants. he has a chaotic management style, and that is a question of character. and can i ask him, really, to look in the mirror as he said this morning and say am i the man at this challenging time for our country, abroad, at home and everywhere since, has he the character to carry on and do that job? prime minister: yes, mr. speaker. but quite frankly, i think it was absolutely indispensable we have a strong number 10 that was able to take us out of the e.u. in spite of all the efforts of the party opposite to block it. and not only that, mr. speaker, a booster and vaccine campaign that was led by number 10 that made a dramatic difference not just to the health of this
11:45 am
country but the economic fortunes of this country and whatever he says about me and my leadership, that is what we've delivered in the last year alone. >> we're knocking on doors and i spoke to jewel write who said this -- julie, who said this prime minister has the most difficult job in history and dealing with a pandemic in which he nearly died and dealing with the media who haven't delivered him from what -- haven't delivered him from brexit and dealing with the media who haven't forgiven him yet and he hasn't had a chance to craft on and deliver yet to the british people. the report today came out that the prime minister has apologized. let's allow him to get on and deal. prime minister: i want to say how passionately and vehemently
11:46 am
agree with the remarks which i couldn't quite hear of my honorable friend. he's completely right, mr. speaker, and i think that's the priority of the british people and the priority of the government. >> hear, hear. >> mr. speaker, as limited as the gray report was, we know the findings are still incredibly damning. multiple issues around failures of leadership and judgment. now given the well known principles and standards of public life describe the centrality of integrity, honesty and leadership, how can the prime minister continue? prime minister: i really think she needs to read the report, mr. speaker. and i'm afraid the conclusions she's drawing are not ones that i support but what we are doing, mr. speaker, is following sue gray's advice and we're changing the way number 10 runs and we're going to do things differently,
11:47 am
mr. speaker. i can't agree with what she says. >> katherine fletcher. >> mr. speaker, on saturday i was out back enjoying ice cream like i know you and your family do in some of the finest ice cream parlors in north england and said to me he's a wally but a hundred thousand russians have just turned up and why the bloody hell are you talking about cake? does the prime minister agree with that statement? prime minister: mr. speaker, i thank her very much and i think that what the country and what the west needs -- >> if we are going to have questions i want to hear the questions as well as the answers. prime minister: what the country needs now mr. speaker, is a u.k. government working with our friend and partners to stand up to vladimir putin and make sure
11:48 am
we have a strong package of sanctions and that's what we're doing. >> thank you, mr. speaker. the prime minister sets the culture at number 10. why does he think that staff members there felt unable to raise their concerns about the bad behaviors reported today? prime minister: mr. speaker, that is one of the recommendations of the sue gray inquiry that we're going to take up to make sure that nobody should feel that in number 10 and that's why we're going to review the code to ensure that nobody feels that they have any inhibition coming forward with any complaint that they may have. >> mr. speaker, the prime minister and allies are trying to deflect from the truth but here are the indisputable facts, the prime minister attended downing street party and told this house and the people we represented that he attended no
11:49 am
parties and in fact there were no parties. the rules were clearly broken. the mine tieral oath has been violated and when will he stop violating the intelligence of the british people and do the right thing and resign? prime minister: mr. speaker, i really think she has to let the metropolitan police get on and do their job. >> mr. speaker, does the prime minister not recognize the public is rapidly losing faith in the institutions and he must be able to trust the democracy to survive? because it appears that there is noied or organization or no group or force whose recognition would be satisfied from the alter of saving this prime minister. so can i ask the prime minister, does he consider the erosion of public trust and the foundations of our democracy a price worth paying to ensure his personal survival? prime minister: mr. speaker, i
11:50 am
believe the -- among the foundations of our democracy are due process and the rule of law and allowing the police to get on with their job and what we're going to do. >> thank you, mr. speaker. part 4 of sue gray's report says there's a culture of excessive consumption of alcohol which is not appropriate. is there also a culture of excessive drug taking in downing street? prime minister: mr. speaker, any drug taking would be excessive and perhaps he should direct that question to the labor front bench. >> mr. speaker? mr. speaker? we've heard a lot about prejudging things today, we should look at paragraph 3 of the general findings which talks about those of leadership, judgment, and different parts of number 10 in the cabinet office and said some events should
11:51 am
never have been allowed to take place and some events not develop as they did. the event in january is clear, only one person in charge of number 10, it's the prime minister. and i would remind the prime minister why matters about the rule breaking in the way they misbehaved and we have a number of emails from constituents that lost loved ones and one said we received a call on may 29 saying mum was deteriorating but my sister and i drove to the home and spent the night, sat on the chair outside her bedroom window watching her die. all i could do was sob and shout to her and tell her that i loved her. i couldn't even hold her hand. that's why you should go, prime minister. >> hear, hear. prime minister: mr. speaker, i totally understand the feelings of his constituents and i accept that things could have been done better in number 10 as i told the house before. but really i must ask him to
11:52 am
study what sue gray has said and we are acting on all her recommendations. >> thank you, mr. speaker. which one? >> thank you, mr. speaker, can the prime minister explain how changing the civil service hierarchy would let him breach the covid regulations he admitted in this house and when will he take responsibility for his own actions and stop hiding behind other people? my constituents don't want another government department. they want him to resign. prime minister: mr. speaker, she's wrong in what she said and i direct her to what i said early on. >> thank you very much, mr. speaker. it's been revealed that in april
11:53 am
2021 as the prime minister partied he also swiftly rejected the idea of bereavement for those who lost loved ones, and also those of a child in neonatal death. and he deflected and smirked his way through this statement. he's a disenagainous man, isn't he? prime minister: mr. speaker, i know this has been a harrowing tragedy for the entire country. we've done our best to deal with it. and as to what she said about what's been going on at number 10, i ask her to look at the report but also to wait for the inquiry. >> thank you, mr. speaker. this afternoon we heard the deflection of confusion and we can't even get the answers to the most simplest of questions about whether we can actually get this report published when
11:54 am
it's available. mr. speaker, could i ask the prime minister, is it the case now they're looking at situations of wobble, wobble, quack, quack? prime minister: mr. speaker, nothing would give me greater pleasure than to publish everything that we currently have but the fact is, mr. speaker, that we have legal impediments and have to wait until the police inquiry is completed. >> thank you, mr. speaker. i accept entirely what the prime minister just said. it is absolutely essential that we wait. it is absolutely essential we wait until we hear the next stage of these proceedings in relation to any future investigations. i'd also like to draw attention to the historic achievements of this prime minister. in relation to not only delivering brexit but in relation to delivering the vaccine rollout and in relation
11:55 am
to the response to mr. putin that i believe everybody should take most firmly into account. prime minister: i thank you very much. and i think he's completely right and he might have added, by the way, we have the fastest economic race in the g-7 thanks to the steps this government have been taking. >> thank you, mr. speaker. we established there were parties, we're just really arguing about who is responsible. and if the honorable members said earlier, that's the minister. so is the prime minister sorry now? prime minister: i remind the honorable lady what sue gray says in her paragraph that no such conclusion can be drawn so far, mr. speaker. she must wait for the conclusion of the inquiry. >> mr. speaker, the prime minister announced over the weekend he'll be calls people to
11:56 am
urge the situation in ukraine. it's been reported that today the court has been canceled because he's dealing with the sue gray report. so can the prime minister confirm on a matter of such great importance that this report is correct and he would be speaking to vladimir putin as soon as he leaves the chamber? prime minister: mr. speaker, i'll be speaking to president putin as soon as i can. >> thank you, mr. speaker. i have read the report in full and think the most striking sentence was the one that there were failures of leadership and judgment in different parts of number 10 and the cabinet at different times. my constituents have been writing to me what the prime minister has done is that he should resign but want to know the full facts. once the met have concluded, why could he not then publish the full, unredacted report?
11:57 am
prime minister: mr. speaker, we have to see where the police get to, have to see the conclusion of their inquiry and see what the legal position is then, mr. speaker? >> thank you very much, mr. speaker. we are deeply troubled and angered by the frequent scandals engulfing the prime minister's administration, because it's not just the partygate in an ongoing cover-up but all the other things, the treatment of the queen, the cronies and the writing of the $3 billion covid loan fraud and the russian report to name just a few. others have warned boris johnson's administration is more corrupt than any other administration since second world war. does the prime minister know this, doesn't he?
11:58 am
>> prime minister? prime minister: i think the honorable gentlemen's point is completely ridiculous and mentions what we did, for instance, to get brexit done which was absolutely crucial to ensure public trust and democracy. >> thank you very much, mr. speaker. many of my constituents have been appalled by the reports of what's been happening in number 10 and would welcome the fact my right honorable friend has come to the house today and apologized which is the first step in responding to. will he assure me he'll continue to keep the house updated on the implementation the measures taken in the report and will he ensure the full cooperation from number 10 to the inquiries from the met so they can conclude as swiftly as possible? >> prime minister? prime minister: yes, mr. speaker, of course i'll keep the house updated and of course everybody in number 10 will cooperate to the full with the met. >> mr. speaker, this is sirly now a new low. a prime minister of our country
11:59 am
forced to come here to the mother of parliament and plead the fifth in a criminal investigation because he knows if the truth is told it would incriminate himself. let me just ask the prime minister a simple question, if he cannot get his facts straight about whether or not he was at a party in his own flat, how will anyone in this house ever believe a word he says again and how will our partners around the world ever put their trust in him? prime minister: mr. speaker, i'm not going to dignify that question with an answer except to say he's got to wait. everything he said is completely prejudicial. >> mr. speaker, i thought people from lancaster were to be straight speaking. and i would think half his staff
12:00 pm
cannot talk but yet the prime minister said it was to do with the rules. [inaudible] there's a comment about a second lockdown. and he said it was true. he's not fit for office and will do anything to save his he would do anything to save his own skin. prime minister: mr. speaker, i directed to i said earlier on. >> 155,000 people died. that is why we have rules. at least it is clear in its findings that there were serious --. also the standards expected of
12:01 pm
the entire population. that the prime minister except responsibility for his failure to live up to the standards? >> mr. speaker, i take responsibility for everything that has happened. >> it is clear that there should be no accepted consumption of alcohol in a workplace. can the prime minister therefore assure us that his own consumption of alcohol was not excessive and in particular, that his judgment was at no time so low that he was in danger of telling the truth? >> mr. speaker, i couldn't quite hear the end of the right honorable gentlemen's question, but the answer is no. had i drank too much?
12:02 pm
no. >> the prime minister once my constituents to suspend their disbelief in which case with he at least give some clarity? should he be issued with a fixed penalty notice for participation and he shall resign. >> he really needs to wait and see what is decided. >> thank you. we have accepted bluster and bravado from the prime minister. i suggest to him politely that we need a lot more humility from him, given that whilst the report might be paperthin, it is very clear in the serious failings of number 10. fish rots from the head and i suggest to the prime minister it is not a new prime minister office we need, it is a new prime minister.
12:03 pm
>> i hear him and i sent the repeat what i said earlier on. i am grateful to sue gray for taking action following the report but he needs to wait for the conclusion of the inquiry. >> sucre has made it clear that this is not a report, but it is an update on the investigation. in her update, she said she is extremely limited in what she can see to provide a meaningful report. if it is the case that there is nothing to see and move on as the prime minister seems to be desperately trying to convince us, why has he repeatedly refused to commit a report even after the investigation, and what is this saying about opposites? if he really, genuinely think that he is the best among them? >> that is not what i've said. >> thank you, mr. speaker.
12:04 pm
the prime minister told parliament and told many people that there were no parties. we know now that he attended several including one in which he was ambushed with cake, and is most deceptive excuse yet. given his statements which we know to be false, how would he explain how at least 12 parties in his home warrant police investigations? >> he has proved several times and that question that he has not got the faintest idea what he is talking about any should wait for the outcome of his crimes. >> the prime minister has explained away what has gone on. but this report makes clear that it was a repeated pattern of behavior, but nobody else was having all our constituents follow the rules.
12:05 pm
there was an investigation on the 13th of november. no such governing took place -- that anyone should resign. >> she needs to look at the outcome of the inquiry. the prime minister said in a statement earlier that he understands the anger from people but does he also understand the world has been watching this? we have seen an apology for everything other than acceptance
12:06 pm
of responsibility. the prime minister said he wants to go on to deal with the important issues facing this country. perhaps the only way he will be able to do that is for the prime minister to accept that he has become an obstacle to it and resign. >> know, mr. speaker, we are going to get on with the job. >> frankly, mr. speaker, the prime minister was wrong and something he said earlier. the update can be bothdamaning -- damning an incomplete and most of us can only guess how much more damning the full report will be. i think he knows how bad it is going to be because he knows what has gone on. is that not the real reason why he won't commit to publishing the report in full when the police have completed their investigation? >> the prime minister knows and he is totally prejudging the whole thing. he needs to contain himself and wait for the police to go plead
12:07 pm
their inquiry. >> thank you, mr. deputy speaker. the update is not a report that this house deserves. it is not the transparency that the public would expect. but it does make it very clear with the leadership at number 10, the prime minister is the leader at number 10. so will he not pack his suitcase or will he leave it to his officials to carry his bags? >> he needs to wait for the conclusion of the inquiry. >> thank you, mr. deputy speaker. look her in the i and tell her you never bend the rules. i remember that campaign.
12:08 pm
on the 13th of november in 2020, he bent the rules, didn't he? >> mr. speaker, i refer him to what i said earlier on in the house and frankly, mr. speaker, he needs to wait until the conclusion of the police inquiry. >> the pandemic arrived in terminals getting away. >> thank you, mr. deputy speaker. week in and week out throughout this pandemic i, like many of my colleagues, had to deal with dying relatives or grieve with them and some of us have been directly affected when we lost
12:09 pm
family members and loved ones. the prime minister's actions have made a mockery of the british people during the pandemic and now he is the subject of the subject of a criminal investigation. it is a new low for our country and our democracy and it makes a mockery of our democracy to the rest of the world. if the prime minister takes responsibility for everything that has happened, as he has said, isn't it time that he put his party -- his parliament, and the country out of their misery and step down so that we can move on and focus on the national interest because at the moment, it is not possible because of the crisis that he has created. >> no, mr. deputy speaker. >> thank you, mr. deputy speaker. it is clear that the prime minister has used his money to
12:10 pm
buy popularity and favor. the prime minister is using the same techniques when facing treaties and deals against national leaders. >> no, mr. speaker. >> thank you, mr. deputy speaker. this has been about contrition and remorse. it seems that the prime minister doesn't understand the meaning of "sorry." instead, people have suffered and sacrificed for the last two years. one question that many people want to know is who is paying for these investigations? the police and the greater courts. and who is paying for his legal advice? is it the taxpayers? >> prime minister, i must say that she is wrong and what she says. absolutely covering the police. the police are covering the police.
12:11 pm
>> if you have read the front cover, you would see an update. it is because it is an update that it makes public trust in the next investigation even more important. the public must know that we investigate without fear or favor. can the prime minister confirm that nobody in number 10 or a cabinet office has sought to influence the decision to delay the initial investigation or the delay of its own incontinence? >> no, deputy speaker. the only people calling into question the independence are the opposite. >> the prime minister seriously misjudged the mood of the country and indeed he has misjudged the mood of his own --.
12:12 pm
my constituents wrote to me devastated about that. he couldn't see his disabled son , his elderly mother with dementia, and his newborn child, putting a serious toll on his mental health. like many of us across the country, he followed the rules. but the prime minister thinks he is above the rules. instead, he restructures. will he do the decent thing and resign? >> mr. speaker, i disagree with her profoundly. i do understand peoples' feelings and i do understand why this is so important for people but i must say that the best thing now is for the inquiry to be concluded and in the meantime, for us all to get on with helping everybody in what to do. >> thank you, mr. deputy speaker and i have enjoyed the exercise. i've also quite wanted to enjoy
12:13 pm
the prime minister's answers to questions but unfortunately, he does everything but answer questions about whether he will take the final report. i will ask him one more. a fine from the metropolitan police after all this is over. will you pay it yourself, or ask -- to pay it for you? >> there is a process, we have to wait for it to complete. >> thank you, mr. deputy speaker. people with learning disabilities not making it the hospital. for too many, restrictions have isolation with a matter of life and death. the mortality rate in covid was
12:14 pm
eight times that of the general population. when he thinks about the damage done to all those groups who were so isolated with their families and the serious failings that leavitt is in judgment at number 10, how can he think his position is tenable? >> mr. deputy speaker, she is entirely right about the suffering of people with learning disabilities and indeed, all vulnerable groups who are exposed to lockdowns. that is why, actually, we work so hard to make sure that we could get this country out of lockdown and keep it out of lockdown. that was our objective. >> this one tells me one important fact. so can i ask, there were a heck of a lot of --, prime minister.
12:15 pm
so let me ask the prime minister at which point during this catalog of frivolity when he was clearing last night empty wine bottles office desk before settling down to watch the following afternoon, did he conclude that there would be one rule for him and another one for the general public would undermine his own health messaging and cost people's lives? >> mr.'s beaker -- mr. speaker, he is misrepresenting what sue gray says and he is also completely misrepresenting what happened. >> thank you, mr. deputy speaker. this confirms what we already know, the abject failure in leadership at number 10. so will the prime minister take responsibility and do what the constituents at liverpool have
12:16 pm
suggested, your resignation so we can get on with the crisis facing this country? thank you. >> no, i refer to what i said earlier on. >> thank you, mr. deputy speaker. the prime minister said and i quote "i have been repeatedly assured these allegations emerged that no covid rules were broken." just to gate in those assurances? given that he was at some of the parties at least one of them was his own, he shouldn't need anyone else to tell them what happened. it looked like when the prime minister spoke those words he was either fooling himself or trying to full everyone else. >> he needs to wait and see what the inquiry concludes. that is what do process demands. and i stick to what i said. >> i don't see any people standing and that is the last piece i am going to take, just to let you know. >> section 5.1 says ministers
12:17 pm
must uphold the civil service and not ask civil servants to act in any way which would conflict with the civil servant code. some staff wanted to raise concerns about the behaviors they witnessed at work, but felt unable to do so. so does the prime minister agree with me that he failed to raise concerns regarding inappropriate behavior at work and they should contact their rep? >> deputy speaker, that is why i have accepted the conclusions of the sue gray findings in full and we will implement the changes. >> everybody standing has also been here for the opening statement in throughout. >> mr. speaker, i've listen carefully to my constituents,
12:18 pm
many of whom have been devastated to hear of the great hardships. i'm very glad he will apologize and take on more recommendations, but i am concerned that this is taking time and attention away from the issues that have been going on for nearly two hours. the prime minister has achieved great things with brexit and vaccines. can he assure this house and me and my constituents that this ongoing investigation is not going to take his attention away from the issues that matter? >> yes, i can give my word on that, absolutely. >> thank you very much, indeed, mr. deputy speaker. as a date yet been set for the prime minister to be interviewed by the metropolitan police in connection with their inquiry? >> the police are independent
12:19 pm
and they must get on with their own inquiry. >> mr. deputy speaker, this reads like a dreadful, poorly written soap opera. an unbelievable soap opera. my constituents are -- at the behavior of this president. will he do the right thing? >> no, mr. deputy, for the reasons i've already given. >> mr. deputy speaker, we know what made them feel uneasy. perhaps -- we also feel that we are unable to say something people are exposed to a potentially deadly virus, unable to say something about the parties reaching on about them. at least some represent -- the
12:20 pm
standards expected. who is responsible for that? >> mr. speaker, you completely misrepresent -- >>, on. -- come on. >> makes crystal clear that the office he occupied and the government he leads behaved in a disrespectful way. he does not accept his personal conduct and it is completely unacceptable and if he had any respect for the office and integrity -- >> no, mr. deputy speaker. thank you, mr. deputy speaker.
12:21 pm
>> mr. speaker, we have an investigation going on. one people should focus on and they should be allowed to get on with their jobs. >> thank you, mr. deputy speaker. in his statement the prime minister said sorry for the things we did not get right, sorry for the way this has been handled. a generic, non-apology meaning absolutely nothing to anyone who has heard it. but what i and others want to hear is apart from getting caught in all of this, what is it that the prime minister is personally sorry for in terms of his own conduct? if he just resorts back to that form that he used to begin with,
12:22 pm
is now a new office of the prime minister that we need, it is a new prime minister in office. >> i've repeated several times, sorry for any misjudgment that i made and i continue to apologize then and all i can say mr. deputy speaker is that we need to get on and await the outcome of the inquiry. allow the government to deliver on the priorities of this country, and that is to unite and continue to cut crime, to make investments across our whole country, and that is what we are going to do. >> i would like to thank him for his statement today in asking questions for just short of two hours. announcer: c-span is your unfiltered view of government. funded by these television companies and more including charter communications. >> broadband is a force for empowerment.
12:23 pm
that is why charter has invested billions building infrastructure, upgrading technology, empowering opportunity in communities big and small. charter is connecting us. >> charter communications supports c-span as a public service along with these other television providers. giving you a front row seat to democracy. >> this week on the c-span networks, the house and senate are both in session. the senate will vote on nominations including university of pennsylvania president amy gutman to serve as u.s. ambassador to germany and dashiell lewis to be president of the -- bank. on tuesday, two hearings for the nominations for white house budget director and deputy director. at 10:00 a.m. eastern on c-span, they will appear before the senate homeland security committee then at 2:30 p.m. eastern live on c-span.org and the c-span now app.
12:24 pm
on thursday at 10:00 a.m. eastern on c-span3, former employees of the washington football team testified before the house oversight committee about reports of sexual harassment, verbal abuse and discrimination within the organization. they hearing, the day after the team is expected to announce its new name. watch this week to live on the c-span networks, our mobile video at. also head over to c-span.org for scheduling information or to stream video live or on-demand any time. c-span, your unfiltered view of government. announcer: looking for c-span essentials that will keep you warm? go to c-spanshop.org, c-span's online store. save other 20% on our latest collection. there is something for every c-span fan and every

59 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on