Skip to main content

tv   Satya Nadella Hit Refresh  CSPAN  November 12, 2017 9:02am-9:51am EST

9:02 am
booked into the search bar to watch authors talk on coal, fracking, hyper electric and other energy related topics. >>. >> book tv is on twitter and facebook and we want tohear from you. we us , twitter.com, book tv or post a comment on her facebook page, facebook.com, last book tv's. >> our next speaker is the third ceo in microsoft overseeing a renaissance of the company culture and strategy in the 3 and a half years since he became ceo. his new book it refreshes the candidate of his life as an immigrant, a father, and a corporate leader. his efforts to reinvigorate microsoft and its outlook on
9:03 am
the future of technology please join me in welcoming to the 20 17th geekwire summit microsoft ceo satya nadella . [applause] that was such a fun video and were going to return to those themes later but i want to start with something that's a bit more in tune with your own personal personality. that is your love of cricket. and i actually brought something for you. one of the entity anecdotes that he tells in the book, hit refresh is that when he's on a conference call, and i'm going to hand it to you. when he's on a conference call you likes to hold a cricket ball. so i went to the ends of the earth to find this thing. >> tell us about your love of cricket, what it means to you and how it influences your life as a person and the leader. >> thank you so much and this is probably, the one thing people have found out because of the book is i love cricket so i got a lot of these balls
9:04 am
now. but i really appreciate it. >> growing up in india, i would say for some patients, it's a very english game and it's become a religion. and how it happened is just one of those artifacts of history. and for me, when i look back, i think it's true in most team sports, in fact the other day i had the great fortune of bowing and seeing the seahawks train and they were explaining how he sets up the training session and it brought back the memories because some of the coaches that played under and the captains i played under in cricket, the team sports grab you. they teach you so many lessons in the dusty field, that is the place where i played a lot of cricket. and then i went back and so i write about the lessons, it's about how to compete.
9:05 am
how to in some sense one of the instances i recounted, the captain i played under, i was a bowler and i was bowling trash that day. so this guy replaces me and takes a wicked, gets onthe break and gives the ball back . and that incident has sort of perhaps have a lot of influence because why did he do it? he could have broken all my confidence,throw me out of the team but for some reason he decided that you know what, i'm going to give this ball back . that ability, and accessibility of what leaders do to bring teams along to do their best work, you can learn in team sports. >> i know it also teaches endurance. one of the heights of cricket that you like to watch and perhaps played intense cricket, can you explain to this american audience ? >> one of my most, there's a huge debate going on in the
9:06 am
cricket community because we now have a version of cricket which is like baseball which i know americans think is wrong it's the sort of form of cricket and whereas i love the five-day test cricket, it's like a russian novel. it's got soft swats and it's just zero. and so the debate really is how does that continue in its popularity but nevertheless i'm a big fan and i was clear even with espn cricket, the test cricket goes away, they lose one fan class you got to sit down with espn for cricket info. what was that like as i know that was a highlight for you a tour? >> it was fun. i've never seen two lords in london which is the home of cricket as they like to call it. i've then passed it but i've watched it on telly a lot of times but i've never been in there. so to go to this hollow ground and then, it's one of those other fascinating thing
9:07 am
that happens that people go to places where you read everything about an cricket has a lot of literature about it. and i read everything. this is one of those places where you walk in after having read about everything for a lifetime and you see the place and it's just fun to have an interview as frank shaw who works, i don't know who was excited, whether the interviewer or i wasn't i was excited about that. >>. >> let's take a look at this picture. february 4, 2014. you were named the third-seeded ceo in microsoft history with bill gates and steve palmer, prior. what was going through your mind this point and what do you wish you could go back until that guy in the middle right now about what he was about to face? >> i todd and i consummate insider. i grew up in the company that bill and steve. everything that i've learned, everything about me has been
9:08 am
shaped by the company i work for which is microsoft for now 25 years and it's something that wouldn't have happened but for the greatest sponsorships in the business history which is the partnership of bill and steve. and as i distinctly remember that day and meeting up with that day, so it's not long before that day i knew i was going to be ceo. the thing that i was seeking the most and in particular based on all of the people around me that you see even in that photograph is asking that existential question and being able to answer it for myself which is why do we as a company exist to mark what sort of silly way to start but i believe that. i believe companies exist for
9:09 am
a reason. there needs to be a sense of purpose. if there's going to be long term success, you can't be bound by one brand, one product, one technology way, it's got to vote go beyond that. anything you started with is not going to last forever but what is that core sense of purpose that things help drive and what's the culture that will then help you reinforce that sense of purpose with every changing technology way? those were the things. now 3 1/2, this book came about as not so sort of repeat of any destination. if anything is a reflection of a sitting ceo going through that process, that hard process of transformation which by the way i posit is a continuous process. you never reach your destination. how do you keep adding
9:10 am
refreshed and being smart about it. that's what i would sort of say, i was nacve even 3 and a half years ago about all of what i at least now know a bit of. and all i know is i know i need to learn a lot more. >> looking at this, it strikes me that bill and paul and then bill and steve , there was a partnership . you don't have a singular partner, you have what you call in the book a legion of superheroes, the slt as the microsoft insiders would call it. how has that changed your leadership of the country, the way the company is run and ultimately the culture of microsoft? >> steve was the one who switched me on to this. which is the at once reflected that when he was ceo, about how even in his tenure and his and bill's tenure, as you rightly said, paul and bill and then bill
9:11 am
and steve, they beat the company. many management teams came and went they were constant. so they could provide the continuity in their own way and then realized that with the next ceo in place, the way that ceo would need to operate, it's going to be difficult. most of the business, especially when i was talking to bill , that struck me how different the company is then the company that paul worked at. in terms of its goal, its size, its complexity and operations so the thing that steve was trying to do in his own tenure at microsoft was to build more of a leadership team. for me of course as an absolute necessity. there's no way i can operate with the constant and the debt. steve could do anybody's job better than anybody. he had such immense intellectual spot, i clearly don't and the thing that i wanted to make sure is bring
9:12 am
the team. and also have that ownership so this is our company. and that's something that i've always felt. this is not just for the soc. i want people inside the company to feel their company. so that they can use it as a platformto realize their own mission . and their own personal philosophy. that's sort of what i believe is applied to the leadership as well. >> you said earlier you are the consummate insider and you said in the past that gave you the credibility internally to make change, you are not an outside person coming in to make change. now after 3 and a half years , the stock prices doubled, you don't have direct control over the stock price but that is an external credibility that you gained for your leadership . what do you plan to do with that external credibility. did you take even bigger bets on microsoft future? given that kind of rope that you got on wall street? >> i think you're right. businesses in particular are
9:13 am
about that constant need to renew itself by taking baby steps because sometimes we've got this attribute that things all look like failures until they're not. they're pretty binary transitions because the net effect of technology. you've got to be able to see things that are changing long before the conventional wisdom takes that and then go after them. in a strong way so your points, but at the same time the market is going to hold you accountable. they're going to pass judgment on your judgment. and it's in the rearview mirror because they're making sure that you're able to walk the walk of producing results and then they will give you permission. you've got to get as i described, using a metaphor, a batting average that is good. >> and i think that in microsoft, about 45 years.
9:14 am
here we are, 43 years after its inception. and fighting it out. with a whole set of new characters, not just 43 years ago, let alone 10 years ago. i think shows that we have that capability. the capability to renew ourselves and hit some and missed some but we will keep at it. but i'm excited about what you're doing and mixed reality, what we're doing in ai, what we're doing in some really long quantum and by the way, all these efforts didn't get started 3 and a half years ago, it's bill who started msr. it's james who started our trialpush so these are the folds who look forward long before . it's conventional wisdom that these are the things that can be successful and that i think is key. as an insider, i've been through that journey. but at the same time i was also very grounded on the things that needed changing.
9:15 am
>> along those lines, one of the things that struck me about the book. it's fun to read about this book as a reporter because you get the inside information on some of the things you've been doing and you find out what really happens so apart from the rose petals active. which folks will have to find out about, one of my favorite anecdotes in the book is hits directly to this and that is how you and amy hood decided to reorient wall street. you said we're not going to focus on where we are in smart phones, were going to set a target $20 million in cloud revenue and it was an interesting mind exercise that you went through to try and get wall street to look elsewhere. is that a good approach? would you give that advice to other ceos to set goals like that and make them externally because it's risky. >> one of the things, it's not about looking elsewhere but one of the key things that we felt that we needed to make clear, quite frankly internally and externally, is what is the trend that the art really capitalizing on?
9:16 am
and how are we winning in that? because that i think was going to be very important. for the confidence internally and externally. the reality was most people don't even say vr cloud, sometimes natalie is talking about it as here is your competition, that's one thing. if you look anyone on cloud, we have fast applications with office 65, business applications and he have as your, we are abeliever in distributed infrastructure so it's not just azure , as her as an edge. so we want to make sure that it is clear, both internally and externally that we will have a big business. but most importantly we will innovate.we will serve our customers so you're right, you have to take that risk. and it's our ability to walk that walk, quarter after quarter that's really helped the street in some sense, say this is a management team, this is a company that can in
9:17 am
fact follow through and will never be done. >> i have another quarterly call in a few weeks and i have toshow up with amy. so and we show our progress and that's what it is and that's what! give us permission to doing that work , the reality work but i think that's what all companies have to do which is you've got to be able to perform. but you also want to accrue power for the future. because your revenue, one of the major cultural changes we made in the company will was not to fall in love with essentially lighting indicators of success but really fall in love with leading indicators of success which is customer satisfaction. comes long before revenue and profit and we need to make sure we are tracking that, not just what we deliver per quarter. >> i want to talk about the future of technology and that portion of the conversation starts in an unexpected
9:18 am
place. your son was born with cerebral palsy and you write in detail about your early struggles with this. but it has totally changed your outlook on the world, on technology, on your life. walk us through that . >> zane was born when i was 29 years old and is booked more than anything else is shaped who i am today. especially it's probably one of the harder parts of writing in the book. you go back and reflect on it and more concrete as to what he has taught me. both my wife and i, we were the only children of our parents so when zane was about to be born, it was excited in the house and we were excited for him in the nursery getting ready and getting back to work or how quickly could she get back to her work as an architect which she just noted but that night we got everything changed. he was born because of
9:19 am
immunization with severe brain damage which has had led to subsequent cerebral palsy and i struggled with it. i struggled for perhaps multiple years because none of the well laid out plans of mine as a mid-level or even an entry-level engineer at microsoft were all out the window. i needed to recalibrate and for a long time i felt why is this happening to us and me and it's only by watching my wife who even right after recovering from the c-section was driving zane up and down the bridges here to get him to therapy. and give him the best shot and that's what perhaps really got me out of my stupor and said okay, what do i as a father have to do? and over the years we've been blessed in this community whether it's the children's hospital or if the physical
9:20 am
occupational therapist, speech therapist, the community that we have now around us. and the connections and the role of technology. zane has gone through many sort of hardships of medical surgeries and what have you and there's even one incident i remember one day, i was waiting for him to come out of his surgery room and then all of the equipment around me, a lot of that was windows. and i was paying hey, this all better work. and it just sort of gave me the feeling of understanding of the responsibility of a platform company. a technology company because that's one of the things that's unique about microsoft which is in every power grid, you're in every hospital, every critical part of our society and our economy. and you've got to take that responsibility very, very seriously.
9:21 am
>> how has it shaped your views on the accessibility of technology and making sure that everyone can access the power of innovation? >> to me, my personal life of course has been a great influence on how i think about the importance of accessibility. one of the things that i'm seeing inside of my microsoft is this universal design and accessibility as a real driver of true innovation. and i'll give you a couple things, one of the applications we launched recently which uses the cutting edge ai in the cloud aroundcomputer vision . it gives anybody with visual impairments the capability to see. in fact, angela mills was a coworker of minewho i had worked with early on .
9:22 am
he was telling me the story of how she now can go into our own cafeteria at microsoft, order with confidence because she can see the food. she can read the ingredients, read the menu. she can walk into a classroom. we have leadersand what have you but the issue is , she wants to walk into the classroom knowing that that's the right one and without marching into something that's not something she wants to eat and she can do that now. hewas able to participate . she's empowered because of ai. >> this is ed app called seeing ai. you can identify and people will tell you the age of somebody. it probably like a future of ai technology, it's cool. >> were going to try and even make it sensible and there are already some extensibility, it will recognize currency if you want to pay but it gives people more empowerment who need it. similarly, what we did with learning tools, this is a very passionate groupinside of microsoft you said you
9:23 am
have some amazing technology around reading . which now makes ai that can change the outcome for kids with dyslexia so now with word and one that you have learning tools that little kids or anyone with dyslexia and startreading faster, better, more comprehensive tax . wax the gleason came to one of our funds and again, a group of passionate people who said what can we do for an als patients has the ability to move, but has case. but all of the other muscles, but can they communicate? we now have in windows 10, and the creators update, i gave is an info mechanism. i feel of the things that we unlock is the fundamental recognition that it's not just about accessibility as a technology, in fact the historically even in microsoft, we think of it as this is something you do as assistive technology.
9:24 am
and as a niche, as something that you do on top of having built a product. but the reality is, that a lot of it is truly an awful for all. it's at some point in our lives, it's all we need some help with some sense of loss. >> that's going to be the universal truth. so we better design products that can help everybody. and that's what i think we are trying to involved in and the beauty is it's not be .length, it is much more if you look at a hackathon. they don't end with us that one week. we do, slide after that. and we have a long distance covered. >> but one of course it can mean for accessibility, what mixed reality can mean for accessibility, these are exciting frontiers and i think it's going to make us better ai company, a better devices company, a better everything company by sort of hosting in this area let's
9:25 am
talk about the future. you identify three trends in the book, mixed reality, and artificial intelligence that are in your view going to drive the future. >> name for us if you will of personal picture of the future, what is the world going to be like if these briefings come to fruition or for our grandkids or even our grandkids grandkids. what do you think about now as you're laying the foundation for the future? >> one of the hardest things to do is speculate and technology about the future. >> but these three trends broadly, how they manifest in specific terms, i think will be very dependent. dependent on where we start so here's how i think about it, this mixed reality, we been on this journey where we've been creating these mirror words, which is you're
9:26 am
trying to create metaphors that define in the physical space in a digital world. desktop being a great example. for the first time, we now have the ability to take what you see and just superimpose on your field of view the digital artifact. in other words, the analog and digital medium and emerges. you can have a complete immersive experience, that's what people call virtual reality for people can stack the two together and that's what people call augmented reality. our view is that a dial that you can intercept. and we are in the early stages of the devices but ultimately my dream is people will have devices which will be like glasses that you will wear that you can set dials and be able to sort of really all computing experiences will be mediated this new medium. now, in order to do that, you really need ai.
9:27 am
one of the things in the lens today is a chip called hb you or the holographic processing unit. it's , what it does is it understands spatially everything that is happening and then is able to do this lock of digital objects into real space. it does it, that doesn't mean it's all the computer vision challenge. i think ai is going to be very much part of bringing forth the new ui metaphors. i look at what we're doing with mixed reality as a gaze first, gesture first and a voice first interface because you're not trying to look keyboard but it's really all about engaging speech and computer vision so that's the real ai capability that you want to build. in ai, i feel one of the challenges we have and we talk about all the things about seeing ai or learning
9:28 am
tools but even take court on a, one of the things i'm most excited about is ai that helps me with my more scarce commodity. which is time. every day i send lots of emails, get lots of emails, and commitments in emails i forget. but, the me everyday because it tells me you follow on thursday and it will wake up and tell me i follow up with todd so ai that helps me in fact focus, get more out of my time, that's what we're trying to do with something like court, and that's going to be the real currency of our time . i always say ai can help you stay distracted by engaging a lot more on, in things that in take away time of the more real subject we need to solve for is how does ai give you back more time for the things that matter the most. and quantumto me , that's , if
9:29 am
you say well, this is amazing, you want to have these mixed realities. you have all this ai, was the one thing that we need more of? is computing? >> in some sense, in spite of all the progress we have made, what is still not fall for, let's talk about all the computation that's not solved, we can't yet model that natural enzyme in food production? we can't model the catalyst that absorbs safety carbon in the air. or builds the superconducting material for a loss of power transmission. those are all computational problems and if you try to solve it using a classical computer, they will take all the time from the beginning of time until now. and obviously you don't have time. that's where i think the thing quantum computing are going to be important so i think of these three things.
9:30 am
they're not going to be linear juxtaposed with each other but i think these three changes are going to be profound and their impact in our lives and in our world. >> all three of these areas are highly competitive, microsoft is far from the only company pursuing them. you've got to competitors in particular in google and apple that have an advantage in that they have their own large base of first party smart phones, hardware users. how much is at disadvantage is it for microsoft that you don't have that on the smartphone now and how will you overcome it? >> that's a great question and it's absolutely right which is you want those 300 million pcs sold and there's 1 billion smartphones sold so there in lies i guess the. around the drywall you can buy. >> i think quite frankly, from our own history, and how others approached it.it was a time when the only hot for all things was the pc.
9:31 am
>> and until it was not. and today of course the conventional wisdom is that it, this is the last ai that you will ever need and want and have it if you don't participate, this second, there's no way. except the new companies you mentioned, they were born after or the rebirth lease of apple was, it came not because of the pc share going up. it was more because of what they did with the ipod and the iphone later. >> the question really is ross, how do we make the realityof today , and then invent our own future? and the way i think that is first, let's make sure our software and applications are used on ios and android. most people don't remember this but office was there on the max before windows was even a platform.
9:32 am
>> and so this is not new to us. and we want to go and make sure that whether it's late or whether it's skype were whether it's outlook, we use every day on our games. my craft, we want to make sure whether it's gaming or productivity and communications you are better to work on ios and android. we also want to look at these changes in form and function. what are the global devices today, how is that going to be and whether it's what we did with surface, a lot of great with who it was very thought they would be such a category, we invented it, popularized it to the point that now we have competition. that means we got the keypad. what's the next form and function change? and also, what are these new b changes, let mixed reality which in fact was everything up in the air. in terms of what, if you can start seeing your computing in front of you, you probably
9:33 am
are going to keep reaching out to your phone as the hub for everything. >> we've got to take some bets, some we will hit, so we won't but we are committed to both making sure that our services are available as great applications on every mobile endpoint. >> -- >> with no share position and attractive authors. the things we're doing is make sure the software is variables
9:34 am
we can service the customers don't care about a lot of the things that consumer will care about. it's one operating system for us. us. it's not like whether for operating system separate from xbox operating system. it's one platform. what we are all in on is is it okay what are we going to do with this, how will we push the boundaries of what is pc even? and all in a mixed reality, on gaming, on all of our applications. >> what are you going to do on surface? >> i'll tell you where a lot of exciting things that are happening in service. >> is any form factor your most interested in your not yet entered? >> i'm not going to talk about it on the stage before i have the device. >> just you and me and a few of our friends here. >> a lesson for us, one of the things, steve was one who taught
9:35 am
us was you've got to build a capability. if you think about the last five years or seven years, the capability we now have of being able to build devices. it's not about the device. it's the software plus the device and the ability, not even just the device as a system. it's even like the hp you. the fact we have that capability to do into and as i like to call it from silicon to cloud is what now we've got used to innovate new categories. clearly category creations going to be a big part of what we have to do. >> yesterday with two of amazons top executives, ahead of a coal and alexa and that ceo the consumer business. you have a front row seat for a very interesting story in technology apart from microsoft in the seattle region. you've been partnering with amazon between them. what are your observations about
9:36 am
amazon and the growth financing? >> i think amazon is a very impressive company, what jeff and his team have done, is something that i think i have long admired. i think there's a lot we can learn. in fact, the good news i think is between microsoft and amazon we have a lot of cross-pollination of talent. i i think it's helpful for this region by the way which i think with something silicon valley always had what you think is a good thing for this region. when i look at what we're trying to do with even alexa and a coal in particular is straightforward, which is i want to make sure at any point in time the value we can deliver to customers is not artificially held back because the way to reach them is through someone else's platform. one thing i've learned at
9:37 am
microsoft is that, most people don't think of it that way but that's the lesson i learned from what we did with office on the macintosh to start with. i thought, it's going to be the assistant that helps me with my time, my productivity. that's going to be the unique skill. there's no reason why i shouldn't have that capability if i'm a user of echo and alexa. that's the partnership we have. we are going to see these all about user habits. i'm not a believer in that although there will be one agent, i think each agent is going to have different characteristics and you should be able to scaffold these agents to together pick some of them after a while will become automatic. that's what at least both jeff and i talked about and that's what we hope you'll see. >> will we ever see a microsoft hq two? summer else in north america? >> we are very, very happy where we are, i love, fact one of
9:38 am
things we are also committed to is what i would say it is our development happening in many parts of the world and many parts of the united states. we have a thriving silicon valley office. we just broke ground for a new office there. we haven't big office in new york now. we have offices in boston, in cambridge. obviously in china and india. i am at least in no hurry to talk to any hq two. happy with where we are. >> the amazon example is a good one because it's emblematic of the approach you change and you're right about this in detail in that one chapter of the book with those extra partnerships. frenemies, , you're competing on some fronts and cooperating on others. what's the most awkward moment you had? has has been salesforce when he competed or disputed your link in acquisition? how have you navigated those?
9:39 am
>> i think the fundamental approach i always take is how can we look at things so nonzero zero-sum? and recognizing where there's overlap and is going to be zero-sum competitions. but, especially in today's day and age, which is we are lucky as a company and as a community to be intact. it's shaping every walk of life, every part of our economy. i think it would be really in some terms shortsighted to do things and own industry as all zero-sum. that's at least an attitude that i come up with, come out with an that's what searches a lot of our partners. by that the same time we're going to compete. we compete with salesforce and business applications. we are the disruptor in the space. i'm so excited about what we're doing with dynamics, completely
9:40 am
changes the business model, the technology and everything. at the same time salesforce for the users of those two clouds is great integration. this is something we did in the past as well whether it's oracle are, i want to bring that maturity. what is needed is customer obsession, let's do things through how they view us, whether just our own strategically all the time. then compete. >> i can't believe when talked about the largest acquisition in microsoft history which less than a year ago, , linkedin. at our preevent survey one of the biggest concerns among attendees was privacy. data is one of the biggest assets that you acquired for linkedin. how can you capitalize most on that data while still being respectful of current and future privacy concerns? >> the entire linkedin
9:41 am
proposition franchise as you said is built around trust. trust about the date of linkedin and the value linkedin provides to use. that's the paramount importance and that's what even when there were some concerns about what we would do with it, it's very clear we will only do things that the community of linkedin gives us permission and adds value to them. that's not our data. it's the data of the 500 million people who use linkedin, who are members of linkedin. that's one of things i reinforce at microsoft. we don't own data. it's either the user data or its the organizational data, and we are essentially entrusted to make it secure, you know, make it private and make sure that we are there in control and we are very transparent about all of
9:42 am
it. those principles is what guides everything that we do, whether it's in office or on linkedin. it there is value in integration, you have to ask for permission and get that permission. i think that's where we're going. things like gdp are are essentially going to legislate that and so, therefore, that's the world we should build for. >> should we expect an acceleration of integration between the companies? we started to see a bit of it between linkedin and microsoft entrance of products. >> i feel very good about one of my top goals was the reaction of ration of linkedin, will talk more about this even in the next quarter, the earning but on top of that the product integration we announced between office 365 and linkedin, between dynamics and linkedin, these are all there today and our customers benefit from it. we are all, in fact, it's one of
9:43 am
those places where we executed super well, a large acquisition keeping it there thought, , ther culture, their value proposition, accelerate that core assets and then add the product integrations not exclusively. there can be others who can do this product integrations. so that's have been our strategy. >> i want to talk about a couple of your personal community initiatives. you are on the boards of the fred hutchins center cancer research center. dr. gilliland was her yesterday and also starbucks, kevin johnson was here yesterday. share with us what you're hoping to accomplish to those roles. >> it's a real privilege to be associate with these iconic organizations in the community, and you know, with starbucks kevin was a microsoft or i worked for kevin when he was at microsoft and i've known him and i got to know how, i think you
9:44 am
with your yesterday, and i'm very, very excited about what starbucks is doing, whether it's, ultimately it's about that experience that they're you'reo great and using digital technology and to be on the board to learn and to contribute. contribute. i think that's fantastic. what they are doing is just truly inspiring. to me, to have even that goal of solving cancer by the turn of the next decade, i think it's an audacious goal. it's one of the places where again i've not understood it whh is one of the great limiters to even progress of cancer is how can you take the research that is happening and make it comprehensible in a way so that new hypotheses can be created by sort of the researchers. so technology is going to play a
9:45 am
huge role. we are learning so much and gary is an amazing leader in terms of the organization to he's got a great team. it's fantastic to be associate with both of these organizations. >> as you look to the future i know you're a big fan of poetry, is there a line or a phrase of poetry that most capitalizes or summarizes your view of the future personally and at microsoft and the technology industry? >> fascinating. as we were getting ready to disclose at our ignite conference a few weeks back some of our quantum efforts, so i had a chance to spend a lot of time with michael friedman who is a mathematician who is part of our quantum effort, and he was schooling on a lot of the
9:46 am
quantum technology and being a a mathematician, so he asked me this question, do you know your square roots? what? i think i did. i was not a great student but i think i know square roots. he said do you know square roots are imaginary numbers? i did know where he is going but it turns out that the square roots unimagined numbers have a lot to do with quantum computers. but there was a line of poetry a couple of years ago by pulitzer prize-winning poet, is called imaginary numbers. and it goes something like this. the soul like the square root of minus one is an impossibility that has its uses. and i think it just captures i think a lot that force that's
9:47 am
within us that seeks out the unimaginable, that gets us up to solve the impossible, and so there is poetry behind square roots of imaginary numbers. >> well, satya nadella, microsoft ceo, thank you very much. >> thank you. [applause] >> you are watching booktv, television for serious readers. you can watch any program you see here online at booktv.org. >> tonight on "after words" -- >> it was imperative for me because at a platform and if this is my 15 minutes, and here i am and if i come on here today, and thus become half of of the fbi, not speak on behalf of any intelligence agency and an sp gildea of anybody of anybody but myself. but i would like to say that i
9:48 am
hope and pray that i am speaking on behalf of the millions of muslim-americans and 1.7 1.7 bn across the globe who don't think radically. i want them to feel comfortable and stand up and say that is not the religion, that is what is being worked by al-qaeda. they are not the only one with a voice anymore and it's michael. >> muslim-american federal agent tamer elnoury who requested to remain anonymous talked about his experience fighting domestic terrorism in america with his book american radical. he's interviewed by michael german, , author of thinking lie a terrorist. watch "after words" tonight at nine eastern on c-span2's booktv. >> booktv takes hundreds of other programs throughout the country all year long. here's a a look at some of the events we will be covering this
9:49 am
week.
9:50 am
>> i'm jonah zimiles. i hope you've enjoyed the video about our storytelling a little bit about one of the things we do, which is bring authors to the store. we also want to make in the second part of our mission, my wife ellen and i have two children and her younger child daniel has autism. we open the book stress

83 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on