Skip to main content

tv   Don Lemon Tonight  CNN  January 13, 2022 12:00am-1:00am PST

12:00 am
breaking tonight house minority leader kevin mccarthy refusing to cooperate with the january 6th select committee. i thought he had nothing to hide. >> i don't have anything really to add. i've been very public but i wouldn't hide from anything. >> the committee outlining tonight how mccarthy was in touch with trump before, during, and after the insurrection. what is their next move? plus, former president trump hanging up on an npr host who had the audacity to ask him about his election lies. we'll speak to that host in a bit. plus we are standing by for australia's decision on whether novak djokovic can stay in the country and play in the australian open. this on the same day the tennis star admits he did not isolate after testing positive for covid. let's turn first now to cnn's
12:01 am
congressional correspondent jessica dean with the breaking news on kevin mccarthy refusing to cooperate with the january 6th investigation. >> reporter: in a major development in its investigation, the january 6th committee asking house minority leader kevin mccarthy to voluntarily provide information to the panel. the committee chairman democratic representative bennie thompson writing to mccarthy on wednesday, quote, we also must learn about how the president's plans for january 6th came together and all the other ways he attempted to alter the results of the election. for example, in advance of january 6th you reportedly explained to mark meadows and the former president that objections to the certification of the electoral votes on january 6th was doomed to fail. mccarthy saying late tonight he will not cooperate but that's not what he said back in may. >> would you be willing to testify about your conversation with donald trump on january 6th if you were asked by an outside commission? >> sure. >> you would.
12:02 am
>> next question. >> we'll hold him to that. i would expect anyone who takes the same oath to the constitution that i took in order to serve here would be willing to talk about january 6th and would be willing to talk about what happened that day. >> reporter: mccarthy is the third house gop member the committee has requested cooperation from in its investigation. the other two, representatives jim jordan and scott perry, have made it clear they are not cooperating without a fight. >> i've got nothing to hide. i've been straight forward all along. >> reporter: in a letter to the committee released sunday jordan told the committee he has, quote, no relevant information to offer, and accused the committee of spreading misinformation, quote, to paint a false and misleading narrative. perry wrote in a tweet, quote, i decline this entity's request and will continue to fight the failures of the radical left. now the january 6th committee is looking into how they might compel jordan and perry to cooperate including weighing if they have the constitutional right to subpoena fellow members
12:03 am
of congress. >> we are going to continue to appeal to them to come before us. they took the same oath we did to protect and uphold the constitution. >> reporter: the committee believes both perry and jordan hold key information. >> these are people who had conversations with the president, the former president about the conspiracy theories that he continued and those two specifically helped fan those flames but they have key information on what the president was thinking and in the case of my colleague mr. jordan, he admitted that he talked to the president on january 6th, which is important. >> reporter: jordan has previously confirmed he spoke with former president donald trump on january 6th and the committee recently revealed a text message he forwarded to trump's chief of staff mark meadows in the lead up to the certification of the 2020 election results. >> on january 6th, 2021, vice president mike pence as president of the senate should call out all electoral votes that he believes are
12:04 am
un-constitutional as no electoral votes at all. >> the facts are necessary. whether he thinks they are important to the investigation or not is truly not up to him to decide. >> reporter: perry played a key role in trump's efforts to pressure the justice department to support his false voter fraud conspiracy theories according to a report from the senate judiciary committee democrats. now the january 6th committee is zeroing in on him and his gop colleagues also requesting the preservation of both perry and jordan's phone records. >> congressman pete aguilar who is a member of the select committee told cnn this evening that they've talked to some 300, 400 people at this point but it remains to be seen, don, if they will ultimately get to talk with mccarthy, perry, and jordan, three people they very much want to speak with. >> all right. jessica dean, thank you very much. a lot to discuss now. cnn white house correspondent john harwood is here and our chief legal analyst mr. jeffrey toobin as well.
12:05 am
hello and thanks for joining. john, you heard in jessica's piece that kevin mccarthy was asked in may if he would be willing to testify about his conversation with trump on january 6th. mccarthy said sure. well, tonight he is saying he will not cooperate. is there any surprise -- is that surprising to you considering mccarthy previously went down to mar-a-lago to kiss the ring? >> it's not surprising at all. look, let's step back and remember who we're dealing with. kevin mccarthy is the weakest congressional leader of either party in decades. he is not rooted in principles or values or the truth. we all remember when he went on fox news and boasted about how the benghazi inquiries, which were supposed to be about national security, had tarnished hillary clinton's poll ratings. he pushed liz cheney out of leadership for telling the truth about the 2020 election. on january 6th when the insurrection was going on he thought his personal survival and advancement required him to condemn donald trump so that's
12:06 am
what he did. later when he realized that was going to harm his ambition to remain as the republican leader and become speaker if they win the house he went down to mar-a-lago and turned tail and is telling a different story. same thing on whether he is going to cooperate with the committee. yeah, he said, sure i'll cooperate. now he says he won't. the question is now whether the committee can compel him with a subpoena to cooperate and of course if he does cooperate whether he tells the truth. there is no assurance he'll do that either. >> is this really all about trying to keep, or at least not keep but become speaker? because there is a report out now saying that -- >> yes. >> i didn't even finish my question. there is a report out now i think lindsey graham saying i'm not going to support him for speaker unless he can prove he has some sort of working relationship with donald trump. is that what this is all about?
12:07 am
>> well, what i saw from lindsey graham was he said that about mitch mcconnell his own leader in the senate and, you know, donald trump condemned mitch mcconnell as a loser in an interview the other day and now lindsey graham, who will do anything to demonstrate his feality to trump is saying, well, i'll only support mitch mcconnell if he is going to be able to work with donald trump. obviously kevin mccarthy knows if he has donald trump as an adversary he is not going to be speaker and he wants to be the speaker. >> i'm glad you clarified. you know mccarthy wants to be the speaker as well so he needs to, you know, get his ducks in a row. in the committee letter to mccarthy they asked about his meeting at mar-a-lago and how mccarthy's public statements changed and they write, i quote here, at that meeting or any other time did president trump or his representatives discuss or suggest what you should say publicly during the impeachment trial if called as a witness or in any later investigation about your conversations with him on january 6th? so the question is, are they trying to get to witness tampering here?
12:08 am
what is going on? >> well, there is an abundance of relevant information that kevin mccarthy has for the january 6th committee involving a slew of materials before january 6th, on january 6th when he was in touch with donald trump, and after january 6th regarding the issue of witness tampering. we have seen this incredible transformation from the immediate aftermath of january 6th when kevin mccarthy, when mitch mcconnell, were supposedly outraged like the rest of the country was that this attempted insurrection had taken place. now it is the official policy of the republican party not to cooperate.
12:09 am
so no members of congress who are republicans are cooperating. no political figures who want a future in the republican party are cooperating. and that's just where we are. so, yes. witness tampering is one area that they want to look at, but they're not going to get answers from any of these people. >> kevin mccarthy was on with chris wallace back in april. chris asked him about the possibility of witness tampering. watch this and then we'll discuss. >> has the president ever reached out to you since that report came out to discuss what you and he talked about in the january 6th phone call and did you say to him, i can't because we're under oath? >> no. >> that never happened. >> never happened. never even close. >> and if it did happen you would agree that would be witness tampering.
12:10 am
>> yeah. but it never happened. never even came close. never had any conversation like that. >> he is vehemently denying what the committee is now asking about. without his cooperation how does the committee figure this out? >> they look at lower level people. they are speaking to 300 people. it is often very effective for investigators to talk to the other people in the room besides the principals. one group that is certainly very important to this investigation, some of whom at least are cooperating, are mike pence's aides, because they are the people who saw what the interactions were between the president and his immediate staff and the vice president. i mean, those are very important people. but, don, the important thing to remember about this issue of will they subpoena kevin mccarthy and will they reach out
12:11 am
to anyone at this point, it is the middle of january at this point. there is not even a subpoena issued. by the time they issue a subpoena, have a committee vote, have a house vote, to find someone in contempt who doesn't cooperate, this wouldn't even get to court until the middle of the year, and that's too late to force anyone to testify. the committee is in the position now of only having voluntary witnesses. they can't force anyone because the clock has simply run out at this point. >> john, the committee also writes this to mccarthy. it says, it appears you may also have discussed with president trump the potential he would face a censure resolution, impeachment, or removal under the 25th amendment. it also appears you may have identified other possible options including president trump's immediate resignation from office. if that is the case, isn't this
12:12 am
further proof mccarthy and others knew trump was responsible for january 6th? >> well, of course they knew he was responsible. he said so that day. so did mitch mcconnell. there is not any question about that. it's obvious that trump was responsible. but the question here is how do they know the -- to ask that question? they must have gotten some testimony as indicated from people in the room when the discussions were going on because they haven't gotten it from kevin mccarthy. we know one of the accounts of the conversation came from a republican member who overheard the conversation and has recounted it publicly. but there's going to be more information presumably that the committee has gathered that is the foundation of those questions. but as for trump's responsibility, there is no doubt about that. and kevin mccarthy has said so himself. >> john, jeffrey, thank you, sirs. appreciate it. see you soon.
12:13 am
so he hung on for nine minutes. nine whole minutes with an actual journalist rather than a synchophant, nine minutes before hanging up. the npr host who got the nine-minute interview with the former president trump here next. >> the only way it's not going to happen again is you have to solve the problem of the presidential rigged election of 2020. so, steve, thank you very much. i appreciate it. >> one more question. i want to ask about a court hearing yesterday on january 6th. the judge he's gone, okay. enjoy the go with charmin. - i've said it before and i'll say it again. if i thought a reverse mortgage was just some kind of trick to take your home, i wouldn't even be here. it's just a loan, like any other with one big difference and that difference is how you choose to pay it back. - [narrator] learn how americans 62 years and older
12:14 am
are accessing hundreds of thousands of dollars with a reverse mortgage loan from aag. - of course, you can use it to pay some bills, cover medical costs, update or repair your home, but best of all, it eliminates those monthly mortgage payments, so you get more cash in your pocket every month. if you're looking for some extra cash for whatever reason, your home's equity just might be the right solution. - [narrator] talk to aag for the best reverse mortgage solutions. america's leader in reverse mortgages is ready to help you reach your retirement goals. - why don't you give aag a call? - that moment you walk in the office and people are wearing the same gear, you feel a sense of connectedness and belonging right away. and our shirts from custom ink help bring us together. - [narrator] custom ink has hundreds of products to help you feel connected. upload your logo or start your design today at customink.com
12:15 am
12:16 am
12:17 am
one role of a lifetime...one sore throat. but she had enough. she took new mucinex instasoothe sore throat lozenges. show your sore throat who's boss. new mucinex instasoothe. works in seconds, lasts for hours. the former president taking a rare step out of his comfort zone this week for an interview with npr only to bail out and head right back there. trump clinging to his big lie insisting it is the future of the republican party. >> is it a disadvantage for republicans to keep talking about the 2020 election in 2022? >> no, he think it is an advantage because otherwise
12:18 am
they'll do it again in '22 and '24. >> but eventually hanging up after being pressed on his lies about election fraud in 2020. >> the only way it's not going to happen again is you have to solve the problem of the presidential rigged election of 2020. so, steve. thank you very much. i appreciate it. >> one more question. i want to ask about a court hearing yesterday on january 6th. judge amit mehta. he's gone. okay. >> gone. hung up. the host of npr's "morning edition." i get to see you instead of just listen to your voice, steve. thank you so much. great interview. i appreciate you doing this. >> thank you. >> you have been trying to interview trump for six years now and were clearly ready for him. these days he normally only does right wing press. he had to have known what he was in store for when talking to a journalist like yourself.
12:19 am
what do you think he hoped to achieve by speaking to npr's audience? >> i don't really know. we speculated about that ourselves. it is interesting timing. it's after the anniversary of the january 6th event. it's looking toward the 2022 election. and that is what we wanted to talk about and what he largely agreed to talk about is how he is intending to lead his party in the months and years ahead. that is the reason to talk to this particular former president. some people asked why even talk to donald trump as a private citizen but of course he is very powerful as the leader of the republican party. >> do you think he realized or did someone screw up and they didn't realize it was npr like a fact based journalistic operation? >> honestly, i can't tell you the answer, don. all i know is this time he came to the phone. we did first ask for him in 2015. i was told just before the iowa caucuses in 2016 he will talk to you after iowa. so he kept his word. it is six years later but still after iowa. so he did come to the phone
12:20 am
eventually. there have been a number of other times over the years we thought we were going to get a call from him and it didn't happen. this time it did. so we put the questions to him we had on our mind until we ran out of time. >> it was interesting listening to the interview. it was like all the logic and his answers were sort of circular with no evidence. he kept insisting states like arizona saw fraud even though an audit backed by his allies found no evidence of that as you pointed out. this is what he said when you asked him about members of his own party who aren't carrying water for the big lie. here it is. >> why did republican officials in arizona accept the results then? >> because they're rhinos and frankly a lot of people are questioning that. >> why is it that you think the vast majority of your allies in the united states senate are not standing behind you? we did have that statement by mike rounds. >> because mitch mcconnell is a loser and frankly mitch mcconnell if he were on the other side and if schumer were put in his position, he would
12:21 am
have been fighting this like you've never seen before. >> it is obvious he doesn't want any dissent in his own ranks. there are some very tiny cracks there. do you think this kind of bullying will work with his pulpit diminished this time? >> well, there are a lot of republican officials and republicans who have run elections or know how elections are run who know his claims are entirely false and also believe they can be politically damaging. let's remember the complexity for the republican party. the vast majority of people who identify as republican tell pollsters that they believe trump's lies about the 2020 election but the vast majority of americans over all do not. so you create a possibility of republicans winning primaries while making claims that turn off voters in the general election and republicans potentially lose seats they could gain in 2022 where things look very favorable for them. so there are a lot of republican office holders, people who know the facts, people who know how elections work who would really like to move on from this. but that splits them from a lot of republican voters and, also,
12:22 am
we should be clear a lot of the conservative media, right wing media, right wing radio talk show hosts who have promoted more of trump's side of the argument. and so there is going to be something of a debate this year for republicans about how they position themselves given the real advantages they have this election year. >> the interview was fascinating. i want to play another bit where you really hit on an important point pushing back on the former president. here it is. >> let me ask you this question. how come biden couldn't direct 20 people -- how come when he went to speak in different locations nobody came to watch but all of a sudden he got 80 million votes? nobody believes this. >> if you'll forgive me, maybe because the election was about you. >> a vote against him which he probably doesn't understand. there's always been, for him, always been about optics yet he seems to be unable to see why he
12:23 am
lost to joe biden. do you think he still doesn't understand what the 2020 election was about? >> i am not any better than anybody else getting into the president's mind, but i can say in going to interview him we can see how his thinking has adapted to new information, new circumstances. the reality is that his defeat is even more conclusively proven today than it was one year ago. things have happened like the arizona audit by his own allies, which claimed to find a lot of administrative errors but they also admitted that the ballots added up for joe biden to have won arizona. there is more and more evidence against the former president rather than the opposite but he manages to keep expanding his circle of people opposed to him who are disloyal, part of a conspiracy, it is a little vague as to what they are as a matter of fact. but there are more and more culprits that get worked into his theory so that he can continue to insist that he won
12:24 am
in spite of even more evidence. >> did he ever at any point during the interview, steve, point out anything factual? because every time you challenged him on it, again, as i said, it was sort of a circular, well, this person is disloyal. they found all of this information. when you say they didn't he says oh, that is just not true. did he ever point to any evidence or facts? >> no, no. a lot of it is not really a fact you can check. a lot of it is a fact you can check and is wrong. like he says joe biden had 20 people at a rally. joe biden didn't have 20 people at rallies. he might not have had as giant a rally as donald trump did and so trump draws on that and says how did he possibly get 80 million votes? well, one thing doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the other. and so he is drawing these logical inferences that aren't based on fact. i'm not saying that to be for him or against him or in any way critical but descriptive. it's just what he did in the interview. >> it is what it is, the truth. great interview. i appreciate you coming on. keep up the great work. thanks for appearing.
12:25 am
>> thank you. glad to do it. so we'll talk about every day items costing more. that's because they are. we're going to break down what's going on and if it'll get better or worse. plus we have breaking news out of australia about the novak djokovic controversy. we'll bring that to you right after this break. don't go anywhere.
12:26 am
12:27 am
for your most brilliant smile, crest has you covered.
12:28 am
[girls laugh] -nice smile, brad. -nice! thanks? crest 3d white. 100% stain removal. crest. the #1 toothpaste brand in america.
12:29 am
so we have breaking news. as we told you there was going to be a decision on novak djokovic. well there is kind of. the world is awaiting the decision on if he's going to be allowed to stay in australia. cnn's phil black has that m
12:30 am
melbourne. what is going on? what's happened here? >> reporter: well, this afternoon here in melbourne, don, 3:00 local time, a short time ago really the draw, the competition draw for the australian open which starts in a few days was set to be announced. just moments before this fairly big pretournament event began, journalists were told it has been postponed indefinitely for the moment without any explanation. we are not sure why. now, the key point here of course is that this comes as the australian government, its immigration minister, is considering canceling novak djokovic's visa once again. he is as it stands the number one seed. he would obviously feature prominently in that draw to be announced. there has been a great deal of speculation here in australia that surely the government decision would come before that draw was announced. the government's response unofficially is we work to our own timetable. they are carrying out their own investigation into novak
12:31 am
djokovic. the circumstances which saw him attain a visa at some point recently test positive to covid-19, and then all of the circumstances which led up to him trying to enter australia last week. they're investigating that we know in a very broad sense and they say that they are continuing to do so and then ultimately will make a decision. but this is an unexpected development and logically questions are being asked as to whether or not this highly unexpected delay is in any way linked to the ongoing considerations over novak djokovic and his legal visa status in this country. >> meanwhile, he is holding things up for his fellow players who are abg the rules. it seems to me at this point a pretty selfish act on his part. phil, thank you. stay put because we'll check back with you a little later this hour. in the meantime i want to tell you about a new report, driving home the pain so many americans are feeling right now. that is consumer prices rising 7% in just the past year.
12:32 am
that is the biggest jump in almost four decades. used cars up 37% from last year. gas up nearly 50%. costs of housing, furniture, clothes, food, all spiking. chicken up 10%. the biggest jump since 2004. so joining me now the former chairman of the council of economic advisers and an economic professor at the university of chicago's booth school of business. thank you, sir. good to see you. appreciate you joining us here. >> good to see you, don. >> what is driving this surge in prices and what people want to know is how do you fix it? >> yeah, and when is it going to go back down? there's a lot of argument about that, of what is causing it. one group thinks that the fed is causing it by not raising rates and they should be trying to cool the economy. another group says that a lot of this is coming straight from the virus. that these sectors are the
12:33 am
pandemic affected sectors. the supply chain is needing to be sorted out and once we get it sorted out inflation will slow back down. there was slightly good news in the midst of relatively bad news which were a couple of these headline categories like gasoline, which was going way, way up, gasoline prices have been falling for the last few weeks and the overall price of oil is down so gasoline prices might continue to fall. and most of this inflation, you know, it is 12 months of inflation, 11 of the months we already knew. so the incremental month of december, which is what got added, inflation fell a little bit. so people are hanging their hats on little signals like that. and hoping that it stays in just the goods sector, physical goods and stuff affected by the supply chain, and doesn't spread over
12:34 am
to services. >> you know, americans are worried. they feel price hikes on gas and food, you said gas, you know, is coming down but still, still up. how much worse could this get? is that really the unknown here? >> that the unknown. it depends a lot on what happens with the virus. so if we got lucky, omicron virus proves to be milder than before and gives us a quicker route to herd immunity, so that we could go back to spending our money the way we usually do on services, we might be able to ease some supply pressures and inflation might start to dissipate over the next couple months. if the virus gets worse, if we get a spread of what's happened in china where they've got tens of millions of people in lockdown because of the spread of that virus, and we start to get more supply chain problems,
12:35 am
it actually could get worse. so i think we definitely want to keep an eye on the virus side of this. >> okay. so listen. i want to go back to something you said. you talked about interest rates, right, and to try to offset it by raising interest rates i think is what you said. if the solution to this will be to raise interest rates what will that mean for people's pocketbooks and their budgets? what will it mean especially for the housing market and so on? >> it wouldn't be good. i mean, in a way, that argument would be that the economy is over heating so we got to cool the economy down. that means anything that is interest rate sensitive like housing would probably suffer. if you were going to try to buy a new house and get a mortgage the price would go up. we are in a really weird moment, don, which is inflation over the last year has been 7% but the interest rate has been 1.5%, 2%. so in what the economists call the real rate of interest has
12:36 am
been a negative number. so it actually, they were paying you to borrow money, and that is not really sustainable. either the inflation has to come down or the rates have got to go up. but something has to happen. this is not a stable situation. >> oh, well. austin, you will be back talking to us many, many more evenings. >> yeah, let's hope it's in happier circumstances. >> i hope so as well. don't want the interest rates to go up, selfishly. no one does. people want to buy houses now. they think the time is good because of the rates. thank you very much. more breaking news to tell you about. yes, more breaking news tonight. vice chair liz cheney not ruling out a subpoena for house gop leader kevin mccarthy after he refused to speak with the select committee. this is what she said exclusively to cnn tonight, and i quote. we're going to evaluate our options but we will get to the truth. i wish that he were a brave and honorable man.
12:37 am
he is clearly trying to cover up what happened. he has an obligation to come forward and we'll get to the truth. that is from vice chair, republican vice chair of the committee, the january 6th committee, liz cheney responding to kevin mccarthy refusing to he -- saying at least he will refuse to speak to the committee. we'll continue to follow that. up next dr. fauci saying the omicron variant will find just about everybody and some people are wondering if they should deliberately get infected. my next guest will say that is a bad idea. we're keeping an eye on australia for you. the australian draw postponed last second, no reason given. will tennis star novack djokovic play or be kicked out of the country? including the covid-19 virus, on more surfaces than lysol disinfectant spray. lysol. what it takes to protect. do you have a life insurance policy you no longer need? now
12:38 am
you can sell your policy - even a term policy - for an immediate cash payment. we thought we had planned carefully for our retirement. but we quickly realized we needed a way to supplement our income. if you have $100,000 or more of life insurance, you may qualify to sell your policy. don't cancel or let your policy lapse without finding out what it's worth. visit coventrydirect.com to find out if your policy qualifies. or call the number on your screen. coventry direct, redefining insurance.
12:39 am
i don't just play someone brainy on tv - i'm an actual neuroscientist. and i love the science behind neuriva plus. unlike ordinary memory supplements, neuriva plus fuels six key indicators of brain performance. more brain performance? yes, please! neuriva. think bigger. blendjet's holiday sale is on now for the #1 gift this holiday season, the blendjet 2 portable blender. it packs the power of a big blender on the go, and it crushes right through ice. just drop in your favorite ingredients, even frozen fruit, and make a smoothie any time, anywhere. blendjet cleans itself. just add a drop of soap, water, and blend. recharge quickly with any usb port. order now on blendjet.com and get our best deal ever! liz, you nerd, cough if you're in here!
12:40 am
shh! i took mucinex dm for my phlegmy cough. what about rob's dry cough? works on that too, and lasts 12 hours. 12 hours?! who studies that long? mucinex dm relieves wet and dry coughs. after my car accident, wondnder whahatmy c cas.
12:41 am
so i called the barnes firm. i'm rich barnes. youour cidedentase e woh than insurance offered? call the barnes firm now to find out. yoyou ght t beurprpris let me be direct. why would you pay more than double for teeth straightening with invisalign? with smiledirectclub, you get a doctor-directed smile you love for sixty percent less. that's a lot less. like a lot. choose smile. choose direct. i had no idea how much i wamy case was worth. c ♪ call the barnes firm to find out what your case could be worth. we will help get you the best result possible. ♪ call one eight hundred, eight million ♪
12:42 am
so the cdc is saying omicron variant is responsible for nearly all new covid cases in this country. 98% as a matter of fact. listen to dr. fauci's warning about it. >> he think in many respects omicron with its extraordinary, unprecedented degree of efficiency of transmissibility will ultimately find just about everybody. >> so i want to bring in now the professor of medicine and infectious diseases at cornell medical college. his opinion piece on cnn.com is titled "i was relieved when my sons got mild covid-19. then i thought about this." thank you for joining us, doctor. >> sure.
12:43 am
>> your piece is fascinating. thank you for writing it. i learned a lot about it. i agree with what you said. you were relieved when your sons got covid-19. you said mild infections. tell us why. >> they suffered about a week of fluish symptoms. it is not mild compared to colds. it is mild compared to severe covid. and now they're over it and they have immunity. there is the relief of any parent that they got through it safely. so, you know, i'm feeling better than i did a month ago. >> so you thought about letting it rip, right? everyone get omicron and get immunity. but you quickly changed your mind. why is that? >> yeah, i think to clarify the fauci comment, too, i don't think he is endorsing let it rip.
12:44 am
i think he is being fatalistic. i am less fatalistic. i think there are two big reasons not to let it rip. there are lots and lots of reasons. but number one is it is still -- omicron is killing people. you know, 1800 deaths today. probably most of them from omicron. many more will die. to let it rip intentionally would get a whole lot of people sick faster, and we would lose a lot of people especially those with weakened immune systems. the second is it is nuts to just let a virus go loose. we don't know enough about this virus. it tells us every three or four months we don't know beans about it. just to let it loose is like letting your puppy loose into traffic. i mean, just don't do it because you have no clue. you have no control over the puppy. you have no control over the virus. you just don't do it. it is sort of a -- >> well, you talked about that.
12:45 am
you talked about being a novel virus, why it is called a novel coronavirus, people with weakened immune systems. but i think the biggest point to not let it rip you said, furthermore since they have trouble clearing the virus, right, meaning people who get omicron, it may linger for months in their body possibly creating a hot house environment to promote new variants any of which might be the next variant of concern. so you just don't know. that is why it continues to replicate and continues to mutate because, you know, people just sort of let it rip. >> yes. it is one of those ideas that sounds great for about ten seconds and then you go, ah. unintended consequences. >> also the idea of long covid. you still don't know. because people get it. you think immediately. well not immediately but shortly after they get better but do we know? we're not sure about that. >> we are not sure. the first case in america was december 1-ish, first case in the world mid november, early november that we knew of. it is too early to call it long covid. long covid by definition is more than three months so it doesn't seem like it is happening. i feel like we would have seen signals from south africa and
12:46 am
maybe even england which are ahead of us. but it is a big unknown. and very strong reason again not to invite it. but to continue to wear masks, mind our ps and qs, and go about our business as safely as possible. >> real quickly before i let you go, when did your sons contract covid? >> mid december. >> okay. how are they now? all good? >> they're totally great, yeah. they are completely themselves. i would say it's the -- as many have said it's about a week. there is fever, aches, really like influenza. and it's maybe an inch worse and they're good as new. >> some people said they have fatigue for a much longer time. they feel better but just get tired. >> yes. the advantages of youth. you know. >> thank you, doctor. be well. i'm glad your sons are okay. >> thank you so much. a decision expected any moment now on whether tennis star novak djokovic can stay in australia or if his visa will be canceled. we are live in melbourne.
12:47 am
that's next. spots? it's not your dishwasher's fault. simply add finish jetdry 3in1 to rinse, dry and shine your dishes. solve 3 problems at once with finish jetdry 3in1. do you struggle to fall asleep and stay asleep? qunol sleep formula combines 5 key nutrients that can help you fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer, and wake up refreshed. the brand i trust is qunol.
12:48 am
psoriatic arthritis, made my joints stiff,... ...swollen, painful. emerge tremfyant®. tremfya® is approved to help reduce joint symptoms in adults with active psoriatic arthritis. some patients even felt less fatigued. serious allergic reactions may occur. tremfya® may increase your risk of infections and lower your ability to fight them. tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms or if you had a vaccine or plan to. emerge tremfyant® with tremfya®... ask you doctor about tremfya® today.
12:49 am
12:50 am
12:51 am
okay, so, back to this saga now. the world is watching tonight and tennis star novak djokovic is waiting to find out whether he'll be allowed to stay in australia to play the open, the australian open draw rescheduled now. djokovic now admitting he tested positive for covid last month but failed to isolate.
12:52 am
cnn's phil black is in melbourne with the latest. phil, i said we would get back to you, and here we are now. the australian open has postponed its draw as the clock is ticking for djokovic. we're awaiting this decision from australian immigration minister. what are you hearing about all of this and how this is going to go down? >> reporter: so, don, the draw, we are told, has been postponed for an additional 30 minutes or so. it was set to begin around an hour ago. it looks like it will start 90 minutes late. there is no official explanation as to why it was delayed. at the absolute very last moment. but it was a significant, i guess, milestone in this whole event. a real marker, because djokovic, for as long as he is here, is the number one seed in this tournament. if the draw is released and then the expectation is it would be drawn in such a way he would be
12:53 am
expected to play. if for whatever reason after the draw is released he is then told that he cannot stay by the country's immigration minister, then the draw would have to be reshuffled in such a way to compensate for that. there are two things going on in parallel here. one is the australian open and the other is the federal government preparing and we are told investigating novak djokovic to determine whether or not the immigration minister should use his personal powers to cancel his visa once again. now, the immigration minister has implied that he will not be driven by the timetable set by tennis australia and the australian open, but that said, the longer this decision takes, the greater the consequence, the fallout, the circus-like atmosphere that already surrounds this whole saga. so, for all of these reasons there is a great deal of expectation that the decision will come today. it has not so far, but we wait for an explanation as to why the draw was delayed and whether or not it is in any way related to djokovic.
12:54 am
and also, we are hearing that the country's prime minister, scott morrison, is currently giving a press conference on the country's battle against covid but undoubtedly he will talk about djokovic, be asked about djokovic at some point and we'll be looking there to see if we get any sort of steer to where we're headed in this whole mess, don. >> it would seem, if they say, our decision remains the same, we don't want to discuss it, i'm just speculating here, if it's going the other way, where they say, we've decided to limit the crowds further, blah, blah, blah, let him play -- i don't know. but listen, djokovic thought that he was clearing things up, but his admissions in his statement made his case even more difficult for him, correct? >> reporter: yeah, i think certainly in the court of public opinion, absolutely. djokovic admitted that he tested positive, he says that he didn't get that test result for at least 24 hours or more, it was
12:55 am
some time the following day so it meant that between his test and getting the test result, he says, that was why he was photographed at a children's tennis event, for example, in his home city of belgrade, but what he also admits is that after receiving that positive test result, he then canceled some events, some appointments, but proceeded with an interview with a french sports publication. a journalist and photographer spent a great deal of time with him, two days after the test. at no point were they told he tested positive for covid. so, his explanations says, on one hand, i didn't know, when i was hanging out with these people, presumably covid positive. but he does admit that he made a mistake and that he did spend time with people just after testing positive to covid and did not tell them that he had done so. that doesn't help his general public reputation here. what he's also trying to do, we're told, is convince the government to let him stay. so, in addition to making these
12:56 am
sorts of statements, admissions and sort of apologies publicly, the government says that his lawyers have made lengthy submissions to the immigration minister's office, obviously in an attempt to persuade him not to use his personal powers to overturn his visa once more, but that's what's all taking place behind the scenes and that's really what we're waiting to hear, the result of those deliberations. >> phil black, thank you. and we will follow. make sure you stay tuned to cnn. thank you, phil. and thank you for watching, everyone. our coverage continues. unique zinc formula.icam's it shortens colds! zicam. zinc that cold!
12:57 am
12:58 am
12:59 am
and there you have it. woah. wireless on the most reliable network nationwide. wow. big deal. we get unlimited for just 30 bucks.
1:00 am
sweet, but mine has 5g included. relax people. my wireless is crushing it. that's because you all have xfinity mobile with your internet. it's wireless so good, it keeps one-upping itself. take the savings challenge at xfinitymobile.com/mysavings or visit an xfinity store to learn how our switch squad makes it easy to switch and save hundreds. welcome to our viewers joining us in the united states and right around

55 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on