Skip to main content

tv   Don Lemon Tonight  CNN  January 4, 2022 12:00am-1:00am PST

12:00 am
coronavirus surging all across the united states fueled by the omicron variant. the daily number of new cases topping 400,000 for the first time. more than 100,000 people in the u.s. hospitalized with covid. the white house saying that president biden will make brief remarks tomorrow on the rapid spread of omicron. also tonight, the former president and two of his children, ivanka and don junior moving to quash subpoenas issued by the new york state attorney general who is investigating the trump organization. and after deliberating over seven days, the jury reaching a verdict tonight in the fraud conspiracy trial of elizabeth holmes, the former ceo of theranos. but first cnn's alexandra
12:01 am
field has the latest on the spike in covid-19 cases. >> if you look at the uptick, it is actually almost a vertical increase. >> reporter: amid a tsunami of new covid cases, the daily average topping 400,000 for the first time. the fda making major moves to adl add layers of protection, shortening the window between the initial doses of a vaccine and the booster shot for everyone from six months to five, and authorizing a third dose of vaccine for some immunocompromised children between the ages of 5 and 11. all that as the omicron surge brings with it a growing number of hospitalizations. more than 100,000 people are currently hospitalized with covid-19 for the first time in nearly four months. but even that stark figure is lower than we've seen during another surges. >> the one group that that may be a problem for is very young
12:02 am
children, toddlers who have trouble with upper airway infections. we are seeing rising hospitalizations among that pediatric segment. >> reporter: school districts across the country struggling with how to bring students safely back to school. five metro atlanta schools going remote for the first week of the new year while seattle, chicago, and d.c. schools delay their start dates to allow time for more testing. but the largest district in the nation, new york city schools, is bringing students back to class with a new mayor committing to in-person learning. >> we're not sending an unclear message of what is going to happen day to day. i'm going to tell you what's going to happen day to day. we are staying open. >> reporter: it's part of a shift being seen in more of the country toward finding ways to coexist with covid. crowds filling stadiums for holiday bowl games. the nfl and nba easing restrictions on players last week. but there are still consequences of the crushingly high case count, and it isn't business as
12:03 am
usual. new york city coping with a staffing shortage among first responders by instructing emergency medical services not to transport most stable patients with flu-like symptoms. the headaches for air travelers intensifying. a mix of staffing shortages and winter weather now causing another 2,100 cancellations today. alexandra field, cnn, new york. >> alexandra, thank you very much for that. i want to bring in now a medical director at baylor college of medicine, and dr. james phillips, assistant professor at george washington university hospital. good evening to both of you. so glad to have you both on. dr. mccain, i'm going to start with you. we're seeing an unprecedented surge in cases. hospitalizations are the highest they have been since september. tell us what you're seeing at your hospital, please. >> we are feeling it here in houston. we are not immune to the surge. beds are full. hospital beds are full. emergency department beds are full. patients are boarding in the emergency department for a prolonged period of time. definitely seeing unvaccinated
12:04 am
patients that are getting very, very sick from omicron. >> you say that any infection symptoms, a runny nose, a sneeze, anything is covid until proven otherwise. >> absolutely. i've seen a lot of talk about people trying to differentiate between a common cold, the flu, and covid. people, this is not for you to do at home. get a test. if your head hurts, if you have a fever, if you have muscle aches, runny nose, whatever it is, it's not your allergies. it's not a cold. it's covid until you have a test saying otherwise. >> and the tests at home, every other day at my house, there is someone who is testing and ordering online. have phillips, you're warning that hospitals across the country need to be prepared. tell us what your e.r. is dealing with, and does the country -- what does the rest of the country need to do to prepare? >> hey, don. it's going to see you again. you know, i'll tell you, we're in the midst of two pandemics and it's being said more and more. it really does depend on if
12:05 am
you're infected with omicron versus delta and what's most prevalent in your community. now, what we're seeing in washington, d.c., where i think until today we've been sort of the global -- >> can i stop you right there, doctor? >> yeah. >> so what is the difference? what's the difference between omicron and delta? >> i'm getting there, i promise. >> okay. >> so looking places like new york and washington, d.c. where the majority of the patients that we're seeing right now are omicron clinically. now, when we look at say the statewide statistics of all 50 states, there are clearly states that have not had that upward tick that is coming. and we can safely say that they're not seeing an omicron surge yet. now, in the cities where omicron is the preeminent, the primary variant that we're seeing, we are overloaded. but it's mostly with patients with mild illness who are crowding the emergency departments. those patients, like has been adopted by ems in new york city, need to be told they need to stay home and find alternative
12:06 am
testing that is outside of the emergency department. in places where delta is still the primary variant, though, those patients are coming in with pneumonia, which we're not seeing in omicron. and those patients are real emergency department patients that still need to be seen and should be transported. >> so delta, you think, is a much more severe variant, a much more dangerous variant? >> absolutely. undoubtedly. what we're seeing clinically and in the hundreds of patients we've seen in the last few weeks, i've not seen a single case of covid pneumonia, and that is excellent news because the majority of the people that got admitted for severe disease with delta and the prior variants had been because of that lower respiratory pneumonia and exacerbation of pre-existing comorbidities. with omicron, we're seeing mostly bad cold symptoms, maybe flu symptoms. but it's the patients who have other sicknesses that are being exacerbated with the virus,
12:07 am
those are the ones who are getting hospitalized and doing poorly. >> america's largest pediatric hospital has staggering numbers of children that are coming in with covid. that's according to a pediatrician at texas chuildrens hospital. my colleague miguel marquez was there. >> reporter: 4-month-old grayson perry, his tiny belly rapidly contracting and expanding, one of many children here with covid-19 struggling to breathe. are you afraid they're going to have to intubate him? >> yeah, a little bit. it's just really scary. so i just hope that, you know, he's able to get better and go home. >> reporter: she thinks her youngest picked up the virus at a christmas family gathering. her only job now, keeping her son in good spirits. >> so dr. mccain, it is heartbreaking to see. why are we seeing a spike in
12:08 am
children now? >> well, we're seeing a spike across the country, don, and everyone is getting sick. children are not immune from covid. that's the point that we've been trying to drive home for almost two years now. i see a lot of parents that don't want their children to get vaccinated because they say, well, children don't have symptoms. children can't wind up in the hospital. that absolutely just is not true. and with omicron spreading as rapidly as it is, we are going to start seeing more children get ill and be hospitalized. >> listen, when you talk to just folks who don't follow it as much as we do, which is most americans, right? they're living their lives, trying to put food on the table. they're confused about a lot of things. well, you know, if i test positive and blah, blah, blah, blah, i'm vaccinated and on and on, and people who are vaccinated and boostered are still testing positive. what are the biggest questions that people have?
12:09 am
>> well, with the cdc changing recent quarantine and isolation guidelines, there are a lot of questions from people who test positive and need to know just exactly how long do i need to stay home or people who may have had close contact with someone who was covid-positive and although they may not have symptoms, questions surrounding whether they should quarantine. there are a lot of questions that are surrounding this pandemic. all we can continue to do is talk about the facts, talk about the data, reiterate the recommendations as they change because science is evolving and recommendations will change as the science changes. >> we lost her. we'll try to get her back. dr. phillips, let's go back to children because in illinois, the number of kids hospitalized has tripled since the beginning of december, and you heard the former fda commissioner dr. scott gottlieb talk about how omicron may be adding to pediatric hospitalizations. here's more from him.
12:10 am
>> it appears to be more of an upper airway disease than a lower airway disease. that's good for most americans. the one that may be a problem for is very young children, toddlers who have trouble with upper airway infections. >> the conversation on omicron has been that it's less severe as you stated in your previous answer. >> the reason i'm an emergency medicine doctor, the reason i'm a doctor at all is because at a very early age, at 5 years of age, i made a decision to be a doctor because i was that wheezy little asthmatic kid that was sent to the emergency department all the time for breathing treatments, usually set off by a virus. it could have been the shag carpeting, the two pets and the two smokers i had in my house in the '80s too. but certainly every time i got a virus, i would get an asthma attack. that's what we're seeing in a lot of these pediatric patients,
12:11 am
some of whom simply have smaller airways than adults. and what may be a bronchitis for you or me can really set off difficulty breathing and wheezing and a need for medical treatment for really young kids even without diagnosed asthma. so what we're seeing on top of the normal winter surge of pediatric admissions -- and it is normal that we see a rise in hospitalizations right now because of flu, some of these standard sort of endemic viruses, but we're also seeing kids getting those same exacerbation of their diseases caused by covid. what i'm thankful we're not seeing a tremendous amount of is pneumonia being caused by the virus in those kids. >> yeah. dr. mccain, new york's mayor is planning to keep schools open. the los angeles school district is ordering mandatory negative covid tests for all students and employees. what does the omicron surge mean for parents sending their kids back to school? i guess i would have to put delta in that as well because it's not just omicron, right?
12:12 am
>> it's not just omicron. delta is still around, but with how infectious omicron is and how quickly it spreads, there is no doubt in my mind we are going to continue to see this surge get worse as children get back to school. i definitely think it's a great idea to implement a test-negative strategy prior to children returning to school, but testing is an issue right now, not just access to testing but the quality of tests. we're hearing from the fda that the rapid tests currently are not as sensitive to omicron as they were to prior variants. also when you're testing at home, you have to consider the technique that's being used. in chicago, chicago public school district reported that almost 70% of the at-home tests that students took before coming back to school were invalid for one reason or another. that's an issue. >> dr. phillips, the staffing shortages due to omicron, i mean they are a real issue now. people are out sick -- doctors,
12:13 am
nurses, hospital staff exhausted. what toll is this taking on our health care workers? >> look, we're having real problems there, and that's exacerbating everything. you know, on busy days in the past with 60 people in the waiting room, we can management but when half of your nursing staff isn't available that day, in some places, i talked to a friend today who their e.r. is normally staffed with ten nurses. they had two nurses that came in today, and that's not only because of the nursing shortage that's happening but it's being thoroughly exacerbated by the number of us that are getting sick and the prolonged quarantine that we're all going through because even though the cdc has shortened this to five days, you have to understand most -- or at least many jurisdictions have not chosen to implement that. we're still on a ten-day quarantine, and there's no way to test out of it at this point. hopefully that changes as the cdc takes a mulligan on this one. >> a little bit of advice, dr. mccain, before you go for the viewer because i know that
12:14 am
many people just have covid fatigue, and i don't mean obviously a lot of people are sick. they're just tired of it. they want it to go away. they're tired of talking about it. they're just -- what's your advice? >> people do not blindsided by the narrative that omicron is a milder version of covid. because of the number of cases we are seeing, there are people that are going to be significantly ill and die from this particular variant. do not be fatigued. wear your masks. high-quality masks meaning k n95 or n$95. get vaccinated if you're not already, and if you are vaccinated and eligible for a booster, then you need to get boosted because when we look at hospital numbers, those people who are on ventilators and those people in the icu are overwhelmingly unvaccinated. >> thank you both. i appreciate the advice and the expertise. we'll see you soon. be well. be safe out there. thanks. >> thank you, don. more legal trouble for trump world. the former president's daughter and eldest son fighting
12:15 am
subpoenas from the new york attorney general's office. will they be forced to answer questions? but rid-x does. in a 21 month study, scientists proved that rid- x reduces up to 20% of waste build up every month. take the pressure off with rid-x. do you struggle to fall asleep and stay asleep? qunol sleep formula combines 5 key nutrients that can help you fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer, and wake up refreshed. the brand i trust is qunol. blendjet's holiday sale is on now for the #1 gift this holiday season, the blendjet 2 portable blender. it packs the power of a big blender on the go, and it crushes right through ice.
12:16 am
just drop in your favorite ingredients, even frozen fruit, and make a smoothie any time, anywhere. blendjet cleans itself. just add a drop of soap, water, and blend. recharge quickly with any usb port. order now on blendjet.com and get our best deal ever! with mucinex nightshift you've got powerful relief from your worst nighttime cold and flu symptoms. so grab nightshift to fight your symptoms, get your zzz's... and get back to your rhythm. ♪ the relief you need. the cash you want.
12:17 am
- i've said it before and i'll say it again. if i thought a reverse mortgage was just some kind of trick to take your home, i wouldn't even be here. it's just a loan, like any other with one big difference and that difference is how you choose to pay it back. - [narrator] learn how americans 62 years and older are accessing hundreds of thousands of dollars with a reverse mortgage loan from aag. - of course, you can use it to pay some bills,
12:18 am
cover medical costs, update or repair your home, but best of all, it eliminates those monthly mortgage payments, so you get more cash in your pocket every month. if you're looking for some extra cash for whatever reason, your home's equity just might be the right solution. - [narrator] talk to aag for the best reverse mortgage solutions. america's leader in reverse mortgages is ready to help you reach your retirement goals. - why don't you give aag a call?
12:19 am
new tonight, two of the former president's children, ivanka trump and donald trump jr. subpoenaed for testimony as part of the new york attorney general's civil investigation into whether the trump organization manipulated the values of its properties. plus new details about the trump children, what they saw and said during last year's attack on the capitol. let's break it down with cnn senior legal analyst elie honig. hello, elie. >> happy new year, don. >> just tonight, lawyers for the trump children have responded to the subpoena saying that new york attorney general letitia
12:20 am
james is trying to leverage a civil investigation to help the criminal investigation led by the manhattan d.a.'s office. they say that the subpoena should be quashed. will they get their way? >> well, don, i'm going to say something i don't say too often, which is donald trump's lawyers have a point here. it is very difficult to quash a subpoena. let's start with that. but they make two arguments. first they say letitia james is on both sides of this, right? there's a civil investigation that the attorney general is doing. then there's a criminal investigation that the attorney general is doing with the district attorney. and they're saying she's trying to use the civil process, she asked them to give a civil subpoena because she can't do that on the criminal side because if she did that on the criminal side, ivanka trump and donald trump jr. would get immunity. so instead she's using the sort of back door and trying to get them to testify in the civil process. the other argument they make is this a political investigation, and candidly it is because look at letitia james' own words. she ran for office in 2018 on the number one campaign promise
12:21 am
of vote for me, and i'll nail the trumps. i don't think that's a good idea, primarily because it's counterproductive, because it gives trump a way to say this is political. now he's arguing it to try to defeat these subpoenas. >> i've actually been surprised by some of the interviews that she has done and how she speaks about this investigation. how much trouble could ivanka or donald trump jr. be in, in this civil case? >> well, look, obviously the civil case, there's a lower standard than a criminal case. a criminal case, you have to prove your kaz beyond a reasonable doubt. that can involve prison time. a civil case, you only have to prove it by a preponderance of the evidence. the penalties would be primarily financial. they could be serious enough that they could compromise the business future of the trump organization, and there could be -- you know, we could be looking at enormous amounts, well into the millions or tens of millions of losses if the attorney general can prove that. >> you have a former colleague at the sdny, alvin bragg, is now
12:22 am
the manhattan district attorney. what's the latest on the criminal investigation into the trump organization for trump and his children? >> so important people understand he's a friend of mine. he's a former colleague from the southern district of new york. we were trained in the same way. the first thing he's going to do, he's made clear in his public statements, is review all of the evidence. i believe alvin bragg in contrast to the attorney general did not run on an explicit campaign of vote for me and i'll nail the trumps. he kept politics out of prosecution. he's going to get all of the evidence. it's going to take him some time. this is a long-term investigation. if the facts are there that justify a criminal case based on the way he and i were both trained, i believe he'll bring the charge. and if not, i believe he will not. >> let's talk about the january 6th investigation. congresswoman liz cheney says the select committee has firsthand testimony that during the capitol attack, that ivanka trump twice asked her father to stop the violence. we previously learned that donald trump jr. texted mark meadows. he's got to condemn this, you
12:23 am
know, asap. they knew how bad the insurrection was. will they be compelled to testify? >> boy, they would be right in my crosshairs. firsthand testimony, that means it's coming from somebody in the room. the fact that these are the president's children, they get no immunity. they get no special treatment. this is a congressional investigation. they need the truth. they're entitled to the truth. i would seek their testimony. i would subpoena them if necessary. if they fight it, i would put them on the steve bannon track to contempt. >> you may remember that ivanka trump tweeted on january 6th calling the rioters, quote, american patriots and asking for the violence to stop. then she quickly deleted that tweet. could anyone have stopped the violence besides her father? >> oh, i don't think so. i think only donald trump. by the way, that tweet is very similar to the one donald trump sent at 6:01 p.m. on january 6th just an hour or so after this ended, when he called the rioters, the people who had just torn apart the capitol, quote, great patriots, and he said,
12:24 am
remember this day forever. to me, that's such compelling evidence that those rioters did exactly what donald trump wanted and hoped, and i think that quickly deleted tweet from ivanka says a similar thing. >> congresswoman liz cheney had this to say about the former president's 187 minutes of inaction during the insurrection. listen. >> the president could have at any moment walked those very few steps into the briefing room, gone on live television, and told his supporters who were assaulting the capitol to stop. he could have told them to stand down. he could have told them to go home, and he failed to do so. it's hard to imagine a more significant, a more serious dereliction of duty than that. i think that there's absolutely no question that it was a dereliction of duty, and i think one of the things the committee needs to look at as we're looking at a legislative purpose is whether we need enhanced penalties for that kind of dereliction of duty. >> i mean, listen, she's right about that. co-have gone to the briefing
12:25 am
room. she calls it a supreme dereliction of duty. is that criminal? could the former president face charges for that? >> well, let me put it this way, don. the failure to act for three hours and seven minutes is a dereliction of duty. but it's about the fact that he set it in motion and then failed to act, right? the analogy i would make is it's one thing to walk past a burning building metaphorically speaking and do nothing. it's another thing to flip a match onto it, set it on fire, and then do nothing. i think that's a better analogy for what the president did here. i believe he should have criminal liability here for attempting to obstruct congress in counting the electoral vote, for election interference, potentially for inciting the riot. but i think there's several bases he needs to be investigated in a very serious way criminally by merrick garland. >> thank you. verdict reached. elizabeth holmes found guilty on multiple charges and she is now facing up to 20 years in prison.
12:26 am
those details are next. yes. -great. how? uhhh... how long does credit repair take? i don't know, like 10 years. what? are you insane? what's a good credit score? go. 600. maybe if you're trying to pay thousands extra in interest rates. cut the confusion, get started with a free credit evaluation at creditrepair.com.
12:27 am
12:28 am
12:29 am
12:30 am
. after deliberating for a full week, the jury reaching a verdict tonight late in the fraud and conspiracy trial of elizabeth holmes. elizabeth holmes is the former ceo and founder of theranos. finding her guilty on 4 out of 11 federal judges but
12:31 am
deadlocking on three of those charges. each guilty count carrying a maximum of 20 years in prison. i want to discuss now with harry litman, a former u.s. attorney. harry, good to see you. thanks for joining. >> thank you, don. >> this is a mixed verdict. she is convicted on one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and three counts of wire fraud against specific investors. but you're saying it's ess essentially as severe as if she had got convicted on everything. how is that? >> that's basically right. first you're right. it is a split verdict. the jury essentially didn't believe the government had carried its burden when it comes to her bilking of patients. and they did believe it when it came to investors. but, yeah, it's a total knockout blow because it carries about the same sentence as if they had run the table because in fraud cases like this, the sentence is
12:32 am
driven by the amount of the loss. the patient counts had not very much loss at all. we're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. rupert murdoch, $100 million alone. the devos family $100 million alone. when you apply that in the guidelines, you're looking automatically at a sentence, a real sentence, unless the judge decides to depart downward significantly, in about the 15, 16, 17-year range. moreover, the sentencing judge can even take account of the conduct that the jury didn't find her guilty, even acquitted her of. it sounds a little like a mixed bag. it isn't. it's a thumping, and the government is triumphant today and holmes' camp is deressponde >> what happens to the three charges where the jury couldn't get a verdict? will there be a mistrial on those counts? >> well, there is already because they couldn't reach a verdict, and it will be the government's prerogative to try
12:33 am
them again. i don't think they will. >> so it's a mistrial? i thought they were coming back to that to decide what they could do. it's a mistrial already? >> well, as to these very -- right. it is technically, in this proceeding, those three are mistried. they go neither one way or the other, meaning that the government can decide. does it want to come back and retry those three? now, remember, there's a big trial still to happen with her kind of co-conspirator, whom she blamed everything on. how that turns out could potentially influence does the government want more, but i think it got more than enough today, and those three will just go away. she'll be sentenced on the four, and it will be a very substantial sentence. >> in 2015, elizabeth holmes was the richest self-made woman and youngest female billionaire in the country. she convinced so many wealthy influential people to invest in
12:34 am
her company. has there been a precedent for this kind of fall from grace in silicon valley? >> in silicon valley, no. she's the first ceo to actually get convicted of anything like this. but in america, it feels like it to me, don. it feels like this is the kind of mythic case that automatically becomes more than the sum of its parts. it's got, you know, grandeur and seaminess. it's got jay gatsby. p.t. barnum. especially the way she was able to hoodwink the richest people in the country who were scared of missing out. the so-called fake it till you make it culture of silicon valley, that to me feels like a new chapter in an old american book. but it is new as to silicon valley, definitely as to female ceos as you say. she was the richest self-made woman in the world as of 2015, and now she's looking at a very long prison sentence.
12:35 am
so that in a sense is unprecedented. but the story itself feels to me mythic in broader american ways of great rise and precipitous fall. >> did you say p.t. barnum and gatsby? is that what you said? >> yeah, that's what i was saying, or, you know, bernard madoff or tom wolfe. >> what does this mean for startup culture at large? will there be more legal oversight in a sector where criminal prosecution had essentially dried up? >> great question. these are really rare cases. people consider them very hard to bring. you know, i work cases like this on the civil side, and it is pretty routine. they're sale, oh, just puffery, et cetera, but it's a lie. i think now this will send shock waves through startup culture. they'll know these kinds of fake it till you make it lies can really, you know, completely
12:36 am
destroy not just a company but, you know, people's liberty. and, yeah, i think you're going to have a lot of people who are making sort of confident pitches to venture capital folks really rethinking it going forward and really afraid. >> harry litman, thank you. happy new year to you. good to see you. >> same to you, don. they're blaming the democrats. republican leadership gaslighting their own when it comes to january 6th. stay with us. nothing kills more viruses, including the covid-19 virus, on more surfaces than lysol disinfectant spray. lysol. what it takes to protect. do you have a life insurance policy you no longer need? now you can sell your policy - even a term policy - for an immediate cash payment. we thought we had planned carefully for our retirement. but we quickly realized we needed a way to supplement our income. if you have $100,000 or more of life insurance, you may qualify to sell your policy. don't cancel or let your policy lapse without
12:37 am
finding out what it's worth. visit coventrydirect.com to find out if your policy qualifies. or call the number on your screen. coventry direct, redefining insurance.
12:38 am
12:39 am
12:40 am
12:41 am
the committee investigating january 6th says that they have got testimony that the then-president did nothing as he repeatedly urged -- as he was repeatedly urged to stop the rioters at the capitol. but leaders of his party, well, they want you to look elsewhere. they want to distract you with a trump presser at his florida club or focus on the democrats. house minority leader kevin mccarthy sending a letter to his caucus calling what happened on january 6th lawless, then attacking democrats for using it as what he calls a quote partisan political weapon to further divide our country. i want to bring in cnn political commentator scott jennings and cnn senior political analyst kirsten powers, who is also the author of "saving grace" by kirsten powers of course. good evening to both of you. thank you for joining. happy new year to you both.
12:42 am
>> happy new year. >> thank you. kirsten, this letter from mccarthy doesn't mention the former president, who told his supporters on january 6th to, quote, fight like hell. instead he's attacking democrats for, he says, dividing the country. facts really don't matter, i guess, to many members of the gop anymore. >> yeah. well, it's not surprising that he would be trying to rally his troops around opposing the democrats and criticizing the democrats. but his critiques around january 6th in terms of the democrats not getting to the bottom of how this breach of, you know, the capitol occurred, well, that really is the purpose of the january 6th committee, something that he really hasn't taken seriously. the people that he chose to be on it were people who really were just going to be disruptive. they weren't people who were, you know, seriously interested in getting to the bottom of what happened. so he's acting like the democrats aren't trying to figure out what happened when,
12:43 am
in fact, that's exactly the point of the january 6th committee. >> yeah. and a reminder to all. you know, scott, the committee investigating the insurrection is bipartisan. i want you to listen to republican vice chair of the committee congresswoman liz cheney and what she is saying about her own party. >> the republican party has to make a choice. we can either be loyal to our constitution or loyal to donald trump, but we cannot be both. >> what do you think? is she right? >> well, she's raising a really, i think, clear point about the constitution and what happened to the constitution on that day. i mean the congress was engaged in one of its constitutional duties. a group of people that had been whipped up by the president went up to the capitol to try to stop them from doing those duties. the president also has a constitutional duty here. he took an oath of office to the best of his ability preserve, protect and defend the constitution, which was being literally done that day at the
12:44 am
capitol. so did he, to the best of his ability, preserve, protect and defend the constitution that day? no, of course he did not. anybody with eyes and ears and a tv could tell that the day it was happening. all these things we're learning now are not any great surprise because we saw it all unfold on live television. so the point she's making about the constitution is very important, and i think it's why you actually had some constitutional conservatives, you know, people who call themselves that, end up voting to certify the election that day because they didn't agree, you know, with the concept of trying to overturn an election that clearly had been won by the other party. >> yeah. >> so the word constitution is thrown around often. in this particular case it has real meeting because it really mattered on an important day. >> 150 or so republicans voted against it, certifying the election. >> yeah, they did. they absolutely did. look, i recognize any of them could come on here and raise what they would say are legitimate points about this,
12:45 am
that, or the other. but here's the bottom line. the congress' job here was to certify the election results. the states send the electors. it's the states' job to do that. and the vice president had a ceremonial role, and the president of the united states, when presented with evidence that people were trying to overturn the constitutional order, clearly did nothing. so the only constitutional thing i care about is whether it was being protected, defended, and preserved. and in this case it was not. >> kirsten, i want you to look at this poll. it's from cbs news ugov. it shows that 62% of americans are expecting violence from the losing side in future presidential elections. most of us don't want that or anything close to it. so what do we do? how do we avoid it at this point? can we? >> well, i think the first thing is for people to really take this seriously and not just act like, well, it's just going to happen, and there's nothing we can do, right? because that's not true.
12:46 am
and i think people are correct when they fear that this is going to happen, though i'm not sure why people think democrats are going to be violent. that hasn't happened, or even just your generic republican. i think what we've seen is it's trump supporters, this is the only time this has happened. so that really, i think, should be the primary fear though it does seem this country is just on this collision course that i think that people are rightly very, very concerned about it. but one of the things that the democrats are spending a lot of time on right now is, you know, protecting our electoral system and voting rights and these kinds of things, which are protecting democracy. and i think when you envision something happening like violence, you can see how it would happen when there is no faith in the election or, you know, somehow the election is perhaps actually overturned next time, right? was this just a practice run, and next time it's successful, and then there's violence?
12:47 am
so we have to take this seriously, and we have to engage it as the threat that it is. >> scott, from the big lie to covid conspiracies, congresswoman marjorie taylor greene has been permanently suspended from twitter over covid misinformation. she no longer has the powers of social media channel, but she is still in power to legislate. how dangerous is that for our political leaders, who are so distanced from reality? >> well, i mean, there are a number of political leaders in both parties who are well beyond what i would consider to be near reality. she's one of them. there's plenty in the other party as well. i'm a little uncomfortable candidly with the idea that unelected tech bureaucracy can unilaterally ban an elected official from its platform. i guess it's their right to do that but i think it does raise serious questions about the role of these platforms in our overall political speech arena. so we'll have to sort that out as a country.
12:48 am
i do think it's a little -- i mean there's plenty of misinformation out there. not all of it's coming from people who carry marjorie taylor greene's political ideology. some of it's coming from the left, and they don't seem to get banned. i think it raises a lot of questions. i don't agree with some of the things she's said. at the same time, i'm pretty protective of speech. when people are banned from platforms, i think we ought to think real deeply about that as a country. >> a tickle, kirsten. sorry. i don't know if you've ever gotten that live. i want to turn to voting rights right now. senate majority leader chuck schumer looking to change the filibuster rules in an effort to get democrats' voting rights bill passed. he is planning on calling up a vote to ease up those filibuster rules january 17th but facing pushback from senators manchin and sinema. do you think there's any chance the rules will change? >> i think it's really, really
12:49 am
small. i'm not -- you know, i know that obviously this is something the democrats feel very strongly about that needs to be done, and i think that's correct. but i think we've been down this road with joe manchin before. so there have been reports that there's been some sort of movement with him, but his public statements haven't changed. and so, you know, a lot of effort is put into moving him, and he doesn't move. and he's been very clear about the fact that he does not support, you know, getting rid of the filibuster, but can they come up with some sort of really specific carveout that he would agree to. it would be a miracle if it happens, i think. it doesn't mean it can't happen, but i think it will be a miracle. >> thank you, kirsten. thank you, scott. sorry for coughing in your ear. happy new year to both of you. she was so active, so iconic that her death at 99 shocked the entire country, shocked the world really. we're going to remember betty white right after this. finish 1
12:50 am
to rinse, dry and shine your dishes. solve 3 problems at once with finish jetdry 3in1. - that moment you walk in the office and people are wearing the same gear, you feel a sense of connectedness and belonging right away. and our shirts from custom ink help bring us together. - [narrator] custom ink has hundreds of products to help you feel connected. upload your logo or start your design today at customink.com a must in your medicine cabinet! less sick days! cold coming on? zicam is the #1 cold shortening brand! highly recommend it! zifans love zicam's unique zinc formula. it shortens colds! zicam. zinc that cold!
12:51 am
you don't know how much pressure you put on your septic system. but rid-x does. in a 21 month study, scientists proved that rid- x reduces up to 20% of waste build up every month. take the pressure off with rid-x.
12:52 am
12:53 am
blendjet's holiday sale is on now for the #1 gift this holiday season, the blendjet 2 portable blender.
12:54 am
it packs the power of a big blender on the go, and it crushes right through ice. just drop in your favorite ingredients, even frozen fruit, and make a smoothie any time, anywhere. blendjet cleans itself. just add a drop of soap, water, and blend. recharge quickly with any usb port. order now on blendjet.com and get our best deal ever! tonight a farewell to an icon. betty white, a phenomenally funny actress with a decades-long entertainment career, passed away last week just before her 100th birthday. i had the honor to sit down with ms. white in 2016. watch. >> you're younger than me. you're 94 years old -- years young. >> yes, 94 and a quarter. >> and a quarter. ms. white, i see you everywhere. >> ms. white? oh, boy.
12:55 am
>> can i call you betty? >> oh, yes. you may call me betty. >> thank you. thank you. i see you late night. i see you early morning. i see you during the day. i see you everywhere. >> are you trying to tell me you're sick of me? >> i just wonder where you find the energy because i get exhausted watching you. >> oh, i just -- i just love -- i just love it. it's a feeling that is so great because you're talking to friends who have been loyal to you for 90 years. and i just -- i just enjoy it. >> she was even more affable off-air in our conversations. betty white, you will be missed. everyone loves you. and we are all grateful for the opportunity to have watched you do what you do and what you loved. thank you for watching, everyone. our coverage continues.
12:56 am
(light music) - look, i got to say something. i said it before and i'll say it again. if i thought a reverse mortgage was just some kind of trick to take your home, i wouldn't even be here. it's just a loan like any other, with one big difference, and that difference is how you choose to pay it back. - [announcer] find out how reverse mortgage loans really work with aag's free, no obligation reverse mortgage guide. eliminate monthly mortgage payments, pay bills, medical costs, and more. call now to get your free info kit. - other mortgages are paid back each month, but with a reverse mortgage, you can pay back whatever you can when it works for you, or you can choose to wait and pay it off in one lump sum
12:57 am
when you leave your home. - [announcer] call today and find out more in aag's free, no obligation reverse mortgage loan guide. access tax-free cash and stay in the home you love. - you've been investing in your home for years, making monthly mortgage payments, doing the right thing. it's become your family's heart and soul. well, that investment can give you tax-free cash just when you need it. of course, you can use it to pay some bills, cover medical costs, update or repair your home, but best of all, it eliminates those monthly mortgage payments so you get more cash in your pocket every month. - [announcer] learn how homeowners are strategically using a reverse mortgage loan to cover expenses, pay for healthcare, preserve retirement savings, and more. - look, reverse mortgages aren't going to work for everyone, but if you're looking for some extra cash, for whatever reason, your home's equity just might be the right solution. why don't you give aag a call? i trust 'em.
12:58 am
you can, too. - [announcer] trust aag for the best reverse mortgage solutions. this is elodia. she's a recording artist. 1 of 10 million people that comcast has connected
12:59 am
to affordable internet in the last 10 years. and this is emmanuel, a future recording artist, and one of the millions of students we're connecting throughout the next 10. through projectup, comcast is committing $1 billion so millions more students, past... and present, can continue to get the tools they need to build a future of unlimited possibilities. woman: i have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. now, there's skyrizi. with skyrizi, 3 out of 4 people achieved 90% clearer skin at 4 months after just two doses. skyrizi may increase your risk of infections and lower your ability to fight them. before treatment, your doctor should check you for infections and tuberculosis. tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms, such as fevers, sweats, chills, muscle aches, or coughs or if you plan to or recently received a vaccine. ♪ nothing is everything. ♪ woman: talk to your dermatologist about skyrizi. learn how abbvie could help you save.
1:00 am
hochts are under pre

94 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on