Skip to main content

tv   The Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer  CNN  November 17, 2021 3:00pm-4:00pm PST

3:00 pm
happening now, breaking news, the u.s. house representatives center one of its own for the first time. paul gossart kicked off the committee after showing him attacking his colleague, ocasio-cortez. in jurors just wrapped up their deliberations after revealing video evidence in a clear front room. another high profile trial, one of three men charged in the killing of ahmaud arbery, takes the stance claiming he shot the black jogger in self-defense. we want to welcome our viewers
3:01 pm
here in the united states and around the world, i am wolf blitzer, you are in "the situation room." >> we begin with the house chamber, the house center i should say republican congressman paul gossart and the partisan anger laid there today during the historic vote. >> the house will be in in order. will representative gosar will present himself in the well. >> the house has resolved that representative paul rosar of indiana be centered. >> democrats took serious steps
3:02 pm
of censoring paul gosar. >> it's pretty cut and dry. do you find, does anyone in this chamber find this behavior acceptable? >> ocasio-cortez addressed the house before the vote framing the situation as a question of what we are willing to accept? >> our work here matters and our example matters. there is meaning in our service. and as leaders in this country, when we incite violence with depictions against our colleagues, that trickles down into violence in this country. >> reporter: in his remarks, gosar did not apologize but double downed on the message in
3:03 pm
the video about undocumented immigrants. >> for this cartoon summoned congress suggested that i should be punished. there is no threat in the cartoon other than the threat of the immigration poses to our country. no throeat was intended by my staff or me. >> reporter: the final vote was 223-207 with just two republicans joining democrats. republican representative david joyce voted present, gosar was stripped of his two committee assignments. democrats argued the video was beyond the pale. >> death threats from our colleague and members of congress? this is the first time a house member has been centered in 2010 when democratic representative charles wrangle faced over multiple ethics violations. >> mccarthy called wednesday's vote of an abuse of power.
3:04 pm
>> rules for thee but not for me. that's what's happening here today. >> house democrats prepare to break another president in the united states. >> reporter: ocasio-cortez criticized mccarthy for his in-action. >> in response to the republican leader's remark when he says this action is unprecedented. what i believe is unprecedented is for a member of house leadership of either party to be unable to condemn incitement of violence against a member of this party. what is so hard what is so hard about saying this is wrong?
3:05 pm
>> reporter: mccarthy suggested there could be retribution for democrats if the gop retakes the house party in 2022. one moderate, a house republican says while he does not want it to happen, he thinks it's bad for the institution that would play out. wolf, one more thing, i caught up with ilhan omar and asked her if she was concerned about retribution and she called the whole thing is childish. >> jessica dean, thank you so much. joining us now is representative jackie spear. you are the author of this resolution that passed. why was it so important to you
3:06 pm
to sensor congressman gosar today? >> it crossed a red line. we have never had a member, a colleague within the house choose to create an environment in which he kills another member even if it was a cartoon. there was nothing funny about it. he was inciting violence. when you incite violence, you create violence. >> it crossed the line. i recognized what was being done there. the radical right continues to use ocasio-cortez a mean for them to whip up the base. if a democrat did this, i would have introduced a resolution to sensor them as well. >> what does it say to you that only two house republicans there
3:07 pm
you see liz cheney and adam kinzinger voted with the democrats to sensor congressman gosar? >> what it says to me is that this is becoming a blood sport. rationality does not play a role anymore in how we conduct business in the house floor. it troubles me greatly and i think that we have got to start to return the quorum and comedy to the house floor. that means we are all going to have to tamp down the rhetoric. >> you warrant on the house floor inciting violence, we get violence. you expected this to the personal fear you felt during the capitol attack. >> how worried that republicans in action is encouraging
3:08 pm
potentially a dangerous trend? >> i am very concerned. when you don't call out that kind of behavior, it's registered as approval. that's what has not happened. we have not seen an apology or heard an apology from mr. gosar or mr. maccarthy. they were doing everything to deflect attention away from what we were there to discuss. the problem is that the minority leader chose intentionally not to take any action. if you choose not to take any action and you are going to place that kind of risk to house members then we truly have a problem. >> this type of behavior is meant to intend women to serve in office. >> i think it's very
3:09 pm
intentional. we have service been done of women, legislatures around the world. 82% of them said they have been the victim of psychological threats and 42% had been victims of rape or bodily harm. it's suggesting women do not belong in public power positions. they're going to silence them and discourage them from running. >> republicans are warning retribution saying it could be democrats who'll be facing similar punishment if republicans become the majority after the midterm elections next november which is possible, what do you say to that? >> what i say to that is if a democrat to suggest they were going to want to have a colleague murdered, then they
3:10 pm
should be censored as well. that's what we are talking about. the fact that one of my colleagues on the democratic side, you know, it's important for you to speak up and get in their face and call out here behavior. that's not causing someone to be killed. that's not suggesting someone be murdered. >> representative jackie speier thank you so much for joining us. just ahead, what may jurors have learned from their review of video evidence. stay with us. you are in "the situation room." but then i found clearchoice. [ forde ] replacing marcia's teeth with dental implants at clearchoice was going to afford her that permanent solution. [ marcia ] clearchoice dental implants gave me the ability to take on the world. i feel so much better, and i think that that is the key.
3:11 pm
>> man: what's my safelite story? my truck...is my livelihood. so when my windshield cracked... the experts at safelite autoglass came right to me... with service i could trust. right, girl? >> singers: ♪ safelite repair, safelite replace. ♪
3:12 pm
3:13 pm
kevin, where are you? kevin?!?!? hey, what's going on? i'm right here! i was busy cashbacking for the holidays with chase freedom unlimited. you know i can't believe you lost another kevin. it's a holiday tradition! earn big time with chase freedom unlimited. how do you cashback? chase. make more of what's yours.
3:14 pm
3:15 pm
mia love is also joining us, former presidential adviser and our jim acosta. congresswoman ocasio-cortez asked her republican colleagues why it's so hard for them to say this behavior by gosar is wrong. why is it impossible for them to condemn this? >> it boggles the mind, wolf. paul gosar should have been censored long ago because he's paul gosar. this is somebody associated himself with white nationalist and appeared at events with white nationalists and he sent out inflammatory tweet ws warni biden to concede and now comes
3:16 pm
this creepy animated video he puts out about alexandria ocasio-cortez. the republican party is not going to punish gosar. they're never going to stand up to donald trump. >> mia, did you ever think you would see so many republicans brush off this type of threat, a threat to kill a fellow lawmaker? >> it's really interesting because i have always believed that respect is the beginning point of any productive conversation debate and progress. when i went into washington, i did everything i could to gain the respect of my colleagues on both sides of the isle. so i just want to start off by saying yes, gosar's actions are worthy of censored. being in congress and seeing the things i have seen, neither side can claim the higher ground here. i think there is rhetoric that
3:17 pm
has been pushed out on both sides, i was there when steve scalise got shot. i feel like members of congress need to go back and read everything i should have learned. i learned in kindergarten so they can start treating each other with respect. i also hate the hypocrisy that i see in terms of seeing the health freedom caucus standing behind gosar in this place they're willing to go after members of congress voted for an infrastructure bill. i would not supported the bill but these are your colleagues. these are the people you stand arm to arm with and you work with. i find it so incredibly hypocrite cal and the triablism to me is what's killing americans. that's the reason why americans are hurting. this is the reason why we can't solve the issues when it comes to gas and inflation. >> a lot of triablism and a lot of partisanship.
3:18 pm
>> david gergen, you have been around for a while, what did you make of the statements and some are suggesting you speak to an audience of one. >> well, certainly i was speaking to that audience of one. he wanted to go beyond that. he misreads the situation. this is not fundamentally about a joke made by congress who continues to dismisit. it's about preserving our constitution and the guard rails that have surrounded the constitution for a long time and for centuries. we agreed we are not only guided or instructed in the law by the constitution itself but by the traditions we have grown up. one of those traditions is you do not threaten another member of congress with violence. you do not and especially coming out after june 6th and realizing this an open country day.
3:19 pm
it's so close to the edge. some 18 or 19 year olds are going to take it on themselves if we are not kacareful. >> you make an excellent point. how words can turn into violence on january 6th. how dangerous in this trend in effect of normalizing violence. >> wolf, this is very dangerous. i think what we have a problem with in this country is there is an incentive structure for inciting political violence in the united states and that incentive structure is basically there for people like donald trump and people in leadership and the republican party, you know, people on the far right, people like marjorie taylor green and madison hawthorne and paul gosar and so son. today the cqanon shaman receive his sentence.
3:20 pm
sure, people can go after him. until this government is serious and goes after people who incite political violence in this country. it's going to continue. we are going to have those problems until unfortunately we may have some sort of events in this country. kevin mccarthy becomes speaker of the house. the clausest way to become speaker of the house by allowing this to go on. he owns the consequences of whatever happens. there is just no other way around it. >> we'll have more on the sentencing of this of the shaman. everybody standby. there is a lot more news. a review of evidence and a request for a mistrial as jurors spent a second day deliberating the fate of kyle rittenhouse. all the breaking news on the trial, coming up next.
3:21 pm
3:22 pm
>> man: what's my safelite story? my truck...is my livelihood. so when my windshield cracked... the experts at safelite autoglass came right to me... with service i could trust. right, girl? >> singers: ♪ safelite repair, safelite replace. ♪
3:23 pm
3:24 pm
♪ ♪ xfinity rewards are our way of thanking you just for being with us. enjoy rewards like getting illumination's minions movie on us. xfinity mobile benefits. exclusive experiences, like the chance to win tickets to see watch what happens live. andy cohen: hey! it's me! and tasty recipes from bravo's top chef cheftestants
3:25 pm
that'll have you cooking like a pro. the longer you've been with us... the more rewards you can get. join for free on the xfinity app. our thanks. your rewards. more breaking news we are following tonight. the jury in the trial of kyle rittenhouse ended the second day with no verdict. omar jimenez is joining us. >> reporter: one of the videos jurors prowatched prompted a mistrial. tell us what happens. >> reporter: the main dispute stems from a drone video that
3:26 pm
shows what happened back then. kenosha police detective obtained this video and air dropped it to the prosecution and separately e-mailed it to the prosecution and the defense and the reason that was an issue because the e-mail compressed the video meaning some of the quality was lost there and the defense said today that is not fair especially because they did not find out about this lost and quality until after testimony in this trial ended but before closing arguments. they argued we would have done it differently as we have as clear a view of the evidence as you all did. the prosecution -- what was played in court that the defense and the jurors got a chance to see clearly is what really matters in this case. the exhibits are what matters verses the video that was
3:27 pm
e-mailed. take a listen. >> this exhibit was played. the jury asked to see exhibits they have seen and after the defense saw what they were playing in court. what's on my phone or laptop or defense is of no matter. what matters is the exhibit. that was played and not objected to. >> reporter: now regardless the defense says they'll be filing a motion for mistrial without prejudice meaning it could be mistrial again based on this idea of fairness all around this one video or the judge has yet to rule on this one along with previous motion for mistrial the defense filed separately. >> thank you very much omar jimenez on the scene for us. let's dig in deeper with our
3:28 pm
laura coates. >> we are also joined by david. >> what does all this mean? >> if you show rittenhouse as a deeper aggressor, he has the duty to retreat. when it comes to rosenbaum, that's the one victim that's most likely to be convicted as far as the defendant because hubert had a gun and rosenbaum had --
3:29 pm
>> i thought only defense wanted the jurors to see each video one time of the judge rejected that argument. what does it tell you if anything about what's going on that the defense wanted to limit access to that video? >>. >> well, it's absurd to think about. the idea of limiting the ability of a jury to fully deliberate. the jury when they have deliberations are able to view whatever they like, we don't know what's happening fully behind those close dd doors. they want to see the evidence. it's the issue of provocation or i want to see with more clarity would actually happen. if you are the prosecution or the defense, you are wondering what you did not explain or convey to witness testimony to your closing arguments to summarize it in some degree. you are wondering where you are
3:30 pm
missing the most crucial aspect for this particular jury. provided he was actually already in evidence which this was. >> it certainly was in evidence. >> kyle rittenhouse's attorney are seeking a mistrial already, do they have a solid argument? >> no. i don't think so. if you can establish the prosecutor gave an inferior of the video there may be some ground but there is no evidence that took place. the prosecutors pointed out this good copy of the video played in court and the defense had no objections. this is an example of tempers getting frayed towards the end of the trial which often happens. i don't think this is a legally significant moment. i do think it's good that the jury is looking at the evidence, that's what we want jurors to do, pay attention to the evidence and decide the case
3:31 pm
accordingly. >> pay attention as long as you want and just study it and make a decision. based on what we have seen so far over the past several days from the judge bruce strader, what do you think he's gouing t do as far as mistrial motion? >> this judge has very thin skin. he goes out of his way to complain about the media coverage. he needs to pay attention and stop listening to the media coverage. is he going to get as guilty verdict overturned to a mistrial with or without prejudice, i don't know if he's going to do that. nothing surprises me with this judge. if it's with prejudice, ilt could be appealed and if this case is wiped out by this judge despite a guilty verdict, the feds could step in and file a mistrial. it won't be over. >> slow down, i don't think this verdict is going to be
3:32 pm
overturned. there were some hot temper but it's a rare thing for a judge to declare a mistrial and especially a mistrial with prejudice which would mean that he could not be retried. it's very common for defendants to ask for mistrials. it's very rare for judges. >> what do you think, laura? >> well, you know in this case mistrials have been thrown around frequently than the actual victim's name. that was a strategic decision trying to ruffle the feather. there were moments that prosecution did tell ally. the idea of really toying the line on these issues is problematic. i don't think it goes beyond the pail in perms of being a mistrial. the jury has a far difficult task to figure out whether the antiques of the judge are
3:33 pm
problematic. these jury instructions are going to turn this case. whether they think rittenhouse provoked it or did not exhaust all means to escape. whatever he approach to mr. rosenbaum, thaft was the domino. as far as the judge goes, my focus is on whether his jury instructions are going to yield a verdict of guilty or acquittal. >> we'll see day three of the deliberations tomorrow, thank you very much. just ahead, a closely watched murder trial ended for the day. one of three men charged killing ahmaud arbery testifying in his own defense. we'll get the reaction from the lawyer of aubrey's father. he's standing by. we can help actively repair enamel in its weakened state. it's innovative. my go to toothpaste is going to be pronamel repair.
3:34 pm
when i break a long run i'm talking long long. that's why i use old spice triple protection sweat defense. old spice works harder for longer. hey derrick man, you gonna be much longer? it's gonna be a minute minute. hey derrick, quit playin. derrick! bipolar depression. it made me feel like i was trapped in a fog. this is art inspired by real stories of people living with bipolar depression. i just couldn't find my way out of it. the lows of bipolar depression can take you to a dark place... ...and be hard to manage. latuda could make a real difference in your symptoms. latuda was proven to significantly reduce bipolar depression symptoms and in clinical studies, had no substantial impact on weight.
3:35 pm
this is where i want to be. latuda is not for everyone. call your doctor about unusual mood changes, behaviors, or suicidal thoughts. antidepressants can increase these in children, teens, and young adults. elderly dementia patients on latuda have an increased risk of death or stroke. call your doctor about fever, stiff muscles, and confusion, as these may be life threatening... ...or uncontrollable muscle movements, as these may be permanent. these are not all the serious side effects. now i'm back where i belong. ask your doctor about latuda and pay as little as $0 for your first prescription.
3:36 pm
i just wish more people knew how easy it was to get health coverage. i'm only paying $52 a month for there are quality plans for even less. my job doesn't offer health insurance, but with the new law, i found an affordable plan and only pay $47 a month. actually, a friend of mine recommended healthcare.gov and now we're paying less than $60 a month for coverage. i was skeptical at first, but it is real. i'm covered with no monthly payment. new law. lower prices. more people qualify.
3:37 pm
at healthcare.gov
3:38 pm
the first day, defense testi testimonies ended in the trial of three men killing ahmad arbery while jogging. travis michael took in his own defense today. ryan yorung is joining us. what did mcmichael said? his defense? >> reporter: he took the standing and gaive his explanation. people were surprised in court about what he was talking about, getting training as an officer when he was in the coast guard. take a listen to travis mcmichael in his own words. >> he grabbed the shotgun and i believe i was struck on that first instance that we made
3:39 pm
contact. >> what were you thinking at that moment? >> i was thinking of my son. it sounds weird but that was the first thing that hit me. >> what did you do? >> i shot. >> why? >> he had my gun. he struck me. it was obvious, it was obvious that he was attacking and if he would have gotten the shotgun from me -- it's a life or death situation. i am going to have to stop him from doing it. so i shot. >> wolf, the prosecution will start again tomorrow. i can say there is also something that's looming over this. we know pastors are going to be convening in that area and they'll have a prayer vigil outside the court. there is a lot of conversations about pastors traveling to town but still there is so in
3:40 pm
questions prosecution will ask tomorrow of mr. mcmichael. it was interesting to watch the dynamics played out in court today but there will be more questions what was testified today. >> ryan, let's discuss this with ben crump. thank you for joining us, you just heard the defendant, travis mcmichael saying arbery grabbed his shotgun leading him to believe he was in a life or death situation. what did you say to that? >> how did we get to this life or death situation? this is a man who chased an unarmed black man and jogging while black for two miles, practically you add up all the distance that ahmaud arbery ran more his loife. it's so odd that he would say
3:41 pm
well, i was thinking about my five-year-old son. if he was worried about his son's safety instead of trying to take the law into their own hands, why didn't he simply call 911 and let the police come and do their job? or because they had prejudged this black man as something he was not. why was it that trayvon martin unarmed and ahmaud arbery u unarmed are looked as criminals and thugs. kyle rittenhouse who had an assault weapon and shot three people and killing two of them is looked at as a kid and given the benefit of the doubt and the presumptions of innocence when these dead black men were always presumed guilty. >> i want you to listen to ahmaud arbery's mother as she responded to mcmichael's defense. listen to this.
3:42 pm
>> mr. mcmichael killed my son all on assumptions. he had no real facts of where ahmad was coming from or what ahmaud had done. he took actions into his own hands. >> your representing ahmaud's father, what more can you tell us about how the family is feeling after listening to this defendant today? >> well, obviously they are very emotional. i mean they are seeing evidence of their son being shot with shotguns ricochetting and pressing his hips and his shoulders and culkilling him. it's heart wrenwrenching. that's why they need prayers, just so they can try to keep their sanity. if this is was your child, how would you keep composure after you see people lynch him and you see them off of this
3:43 pm
self-defense and people are actually taking this as if it's credible? travis mcmichael said "we are going to blow your effin' head off". in the moments later, they killed their son and they're talking about self-defense? >> how are ahmaud arbery's parents been holding up right now? this must be so painful and difficult to watch all of this unfolding? >> it really is. it's the worst nightmare of every parent but especially parents of color who knows that any one can shot their child and claim self-defense and people believed it. if you had a black father and a
3:44 pm
black son go chasing an unarmed white man while he's jogging and killing, nobody would accept that. everybody would scream bloody murder and the judge and the system all will make sure that they were held to the law and put in jail. while there is trayvon martin and ahmaud arbery, we always have to hold our breaths because there seems to be a different perspective when it's a young unarmed black man lying dead on the ground. >> all right, ben. we'll continue this conversation now that the trial resumes. ben crump, appreciate you joining uses. thank you. >> thank you. i will ask the advisory committee of the likely authorization of covid booster shots for all adults, everyone 18 or older here in the united states with a decision expected by friday. is the timing right? we'll be right back. kevin? kevin.
3:45 pm
oh nice. kevin, where are you? kevin?!?!? hey, what's going on? i'm right here! i was busy cashbacking for the holidays with chase freedom unlimited. i'm gonna cashback on a gingerbread house! oooh, it's got little people inside! and a snowglobe. oh, i wished i lived in there. you know i can't believe you lost another kevin. it's a holiday tradition! that it is! earn big time with chase freedom unlimited. how do you cashback? chase. make more of what's yours. >> man: what's my safelite story? my truck...is my livelihood. so when my windshield cracked... the experts at safelite autoglass came right to me... with service i could trust. right, girl? >> singers: ♪ safelite repair, safelite replace. ♪
3:46 pm
this... is the planning effect. this is how it feels to have a dedicated fidelity advisor looking at your full financial picture. this is what it's like to have a comprehensive wealth plan with tax-smart investing strategies designed to help you keep more of what you earn. and set aside more for things like healthcare, or whatever comes down the road. this is "the planning effect" from fidelity. (tiger) this is the dimension of imagination. ♪
3:47 pm
3:48 pm
3:49 pm
tonight moderna has now officially asked the fda to approve booster shots of its covid-19 vaccines for all adults. the agency is expanding eligibility for booster. the author of an important new book entitled "you bet your life," dr. paul a.of offit, tha
3:50 pm
you for joining us. have you not changed your mind? what's your latest thinking? >> not only did i vote against it, we unanimously voted against it. the practice also struggled with that recommendation. the reason was really priermt the this inflammation of the heart muscle primarily in the 18 to 29-year-old and primarily after the second dose. the reason it was after the second dose is that was a booster response and so the myocarditis was more responsive. after a third dose, actually, threefold greater in terms of neutralizing antibodies than the second dose. now, this is a rare phenomenon and if the benefits outweigh the risks, then obviously that would be the recommendation. what we know so far, both the mrna vaccines and the johnson & johnson induce excellent,
3:51 pm
apparently long-term protection against serious illness, at least up until the current time. what happens, however, over time, is that neutralizing antibodies fade and with that, you get sort of an increase in asymptomatic other mildly symptoma symptomatic infection. but serious infection is -- so that's what people are struggling with and i will be curious to see what the advisory committee for immunization practices does with this recommendation, come friday. >> because as you know, the fda is making this decision without consulting the vaccine's advisory committee. do they already have all the d data they need? should they come back to your committee for more input? >> i think the data that they have are that if you give a third dose of pfizer vaccine, you get a booster neutralizing antibody and, therefore, you lessen the symptomatic or mildly symptomatic infection. which unfortunately, have been called breakthrough infections. a vaccine that is working well
3:52 pm
is a vaccine that prevents serious illness. meaning, keeps you out of the doctor's office, out of the hospital, out of the intensive care unit. these vaccines are currently doing that. we set a much higher bar for this vaccine when we talk about protection against asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic infection. and i think, you know, if that's the goal, this -- this booster won't be the last one. >> so quickly, do you think adults 18 and over should take -- get that third shot, that booster? >> i think people who are over 65 years of age should get a third dose. i think people who are 50 to 64 years of age who have a medical condition that puts them at higher risk of severe covid should get -- get a third dose. and for the most port, i think that's it. >> dr. paul offit, appreciate it very much. thanks very much. just ahead. the man known as qanon shaman receives a hefty prison sentence for his role in the capitol riot. so, what could this mean for others involved in the january-6th insurrection?
3:53 pm
zero-commission trades for online u.s. stocks and etfs. and a commitment to get you the best price on every trade, which saved investors over $1.5 billion last year. that's decision tech. only from fidelity. people everywhere living with type 2 diabetes are waking up to what's possible... ...with rybelsus®. (♪ ♪) rybelsus® works differently than any other diabetes pill to lower blood sugar... in all 3 of these ways... increases insulin when you need it... decreases sugar... and slows food.
3:54 pm
the majority of people taking rybelsus® lowered their blood sugar and reached an a1c of less than 7. people taking rybelsus® lost up to 8 pounds. rybelsus® isn't for people with type 1 diabetes. don't take rybelsus® if you or your family ever had medullary thyroid cancer, or have multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2, or if allergic to it. stop rybelsus® and get medical help right away if you get a lump or swelling in your neck, severe stomach pain, or an allergic reaction. serious side effects may include pancreatitis. tell your provider about vision problems or changes. taking rybelsus® with a sulfonylurea or insulin increases low blood sugar risk. side effects like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea may lead to dehydration which may worsen kidney problems. wake up to what's possible with rybelsus®. (♪ ♪) you may pay as little as $10 per prescription.
3:55 pm
ask your healthcare provider about rybelsus® today.
3:56 pm
3:57 pm
tonight, one of the most recognizable rioters on january 6th has now been sentenced. the so-called qanon shaman ordered to serve three and a half years in prison. our brian todd is taking a closer look at what's going on. his outlandish costume certainly impossible to miss. >> this is one of the toughest sentences handed out to any capitol rioter so far and analysts say it could send a message to other defendants to expect more of the same. >> reporter: prosecutors call him the flag bearer among rioters at the capitol on january 6th. jacob chansley stopping around
3:58 pm
the senate chamber, carrying a flag mounted on a spear, wearing a headdress and face paint. tonight, chansley, also known as the qanon shaman, has been sentenced to 41 months in prison for obstructing congress's counting of the electoral votes that day. chansley's lawyer says his client respects judge royce lamberth's ruling. >> he is absolutely embracing being held accountable for that. >> reporter: legal analysts say judge lambert's sentencing of chansley could be a shot across the bow to the more than 600 other accused rioters charged in the capitol attack, and those who defend their actions. >> it's a message to those that still feel that the whole thing was okay to climb over the capitol, to deface the capitol, to instill violence. all those videos that we have seen, people trying to deny that this was a serious event. it's a message, no, it's not okay for this to happen in america. >> chansley became the very symbol of the insurrection.
3:59 pm
he got to the podium in the senate chamber just minutes after then-vice president mike pence vacated that spot. court documents say chansley left a note for pence. chansley's antics since the insurrection have also been controversial. he went on a hunger strike in jail until he was allowed to be served organic food behind bars. he asked for, and was granted, a transfer from one jail to another. his lawyer claimed he was suffering from mental-health vulnerabilities on the day of the attack. >> certainly, he changed completely from the day of january 6th and if you look at the video on how he acted on january 6th, this is a different person. >> reporter: chansley also angering judge lambert when he did an interview with 6 0 minutes plus and made a comment the judge later called out as a lie. >> police were waving people into the building. >> reporter: analysts say chansley's punishment could influence other judges in capitol attack cases. >> maybe, this will give political cover for judges that might be sheepish about stronger
4:00 pm
sentences. >> reporter: for his part, jacob chansley spoke for about 30 minutes to the judge just before his sentencing. chansley said he regretted entering the capitol january 6th and he would do everything differently if he could do it all over again, wolf. >> brian todd, thank you very much with the latest. and to our viewers, thanks for watching. "erin burnett outfront" starts right now. outfront next. the house voting to censure republican congressman paul gosar for posting a video depicting him killing congresswoman alexandria ocasio-cortez. but almost all of his republican colleagues don't think he crossed the line. their reasoning and his response, tonight. plus, still no verdict in the kyle rittenhouse trial. new question, though, from the jury providing clues about the ongoing deliberations. you will see exactly what they asked to see today. and vials of the contagious and deadly virus smallpox found in a lab just outside philadelphia. they were not supposed to be there.

95 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on