Skip to main content

tv   Don Lemon Tonight  CNN  October 30, 2021 12:00am-1:00am PDT

12:00 am
european and russian affairs at the national security council, also the author of the new book "there is nothing for you here: finding opportunity in the 21st century." thank you so much for joining us this evening and congratulations on the new book as well. so let's talk about the -- >> thanks, don. >> absolutely. let's talk about the president kicking off a critical trip abroad, showing candor, trying to rebuild relations with allies. he wants to show the world that america is back. is it working, fiona? >> well, so far, so good. i mean the response to his efforts to patch things up with french president emmanuel macron seems to be pretty positive so far. i think what we are going to have to see over the next few days is whether he comes away from the g20 with any breakthrough agreements. the critical part is actually what happens next, however. it's not just the g20 meeting the next couple of days, but what happens in glasgow.
12:01 am
we have the big climate summit coming ahead and president biden needs to build a head of steam at the g20 to try to show some leadership in glasgow on these critical issues about ca n we gt some collective action on turning back the effects of climate change and some breakthroughs on the carbon emissions. that's really going to be a very tall order. >> you mentioned it briefly. i want to explain to viewers and show them what happened. when biden met with the french president emmanuel macron today, admitting the u.s. poorly handled a submarine deal with australia and the uk, which undermined france and cost them a multi-billion dollar deal. take a listen. >> is the relationship repaired? >> to use an english phrase, what we did was clumsy. it was not done with a lot of grace. i was under the impression that france had been informed long before that the deal was not
12:02 am
coming through. >> some people may see that as a weakness. just me personally, i think it's a strength when people can say that they made a mistake and accepting responsibility for a mistake was unheard of in the previous administration. do you think it's going to be enough in this case to repair relations with our oldest ally? >> i think it's pretty sfa significant. i think you're right. it's a sign of strength and it would have been a lot worse if he had tried to make all kinds of execucuses. i think president biden thought the french should be informed by the deal, but he thought they had been told by the australians. we had this happen repeatedly unfortunately in bilateral relations with countries. sometimes we just don't have the bandwidth. we have so many people working for the government. you have a very big sprawling
12:03 am
set of relationships, and it often does happen that communications break down, and this was one of those cases. so i think he did the right thing. i think, you know, getting to the point right away with macron, macron is a blunt, straightforward guy as well. he would have appreciated that. then, of course, the question is what do you do next? i think some of the further demonstration that the french and the united states are going to work together and the climate summit could be that because the french have been pushing the climate change agenda for some time themselves. so this could be the next step. perhaps biden and macron showing they can forge ahead on some issue when they get to glasgow. >> here in the united states there's been so much focus on democrats punting the infrastructure bill and the lack of consensus on climate. are u.s. allies concerned, or do they understand the domestic drama that's happening here? >> they do understand the domestic drama, but they're very concerned that we can't get on
12:04 am
top of it. that really is a test for biden and for the democratic party and frankly for the united states overall. over the last several years, increasingly our allies have started to wonder whether we've become ungovernable, whether we can lead on the international stage. president biden has promised them that the united states is back, and so they're watching it very closely. i do think it's very important for biden to be able to show that he can achieve something at home because that will give him a head of steam for the big meetings abroad. >> fiona, thank you. i appreciate your time. have a good weekend, okay? >> thanks so much, don. so republican congressman adam kinzinger, an outspoken trump critic, announcing he will not seek re-election. this is part of his announcement where he took clear swipes at the former president and his allies. >> we've allowed leaders to reach power selling the false premise that strength comes from
12:05 am
degrading others and dehumanizing those that look, act, or think differently than we do. as a country, we've fallen for those lies, and now we face a poisoned country filled with outrage blinding our ability to achieve real strength. it has become increasingly obvious to me that as a country, we must unplug from the mistruths we've been fed. >> so joining me now, cnn political commentator charlie dent, a former republican congressman. also senior political analyst ron brownstein. the dream team. i know it rhymes. i meant it too. thank you, gentlemen. good to see you. let's get at it. okay. so i didn't see let's get after it because that's that other guy's thing. charlie, you know adam kinzinger very well. you used to work with him. what does his decision to leave congress say about the republican party today?
12:06 am
>> well, i did serve in congress for eight years with adam kinzinger. we're very close friends. we co-chaired the tuesday group together. i'm very sad about this. i'm not surprised. what happening is, again, mainstream, reasonable voices are being pushed out while the most extreme voices are being embraced and uplifted. that's what's so troubling about this, that people like liz cheney and adam kinzinger, who speak truth, who are thoughtful, principled people, find that they're really not welcome in the party. and it's all about creating a new movement so that people, you know, who are, i would say, center right and principled can feel comfortable within the gop, and too many cannot right now. >> redistricting didn't help, though, right? >> correct. oh, yeah. he was dumped into the seat with daf darren la hood and we kind of expected that too. >> ron, former president trump's responded to kinzinger's decision saying two down, eight
12:07 am
to go, an apparent reference to the ten republicans who voted to impeach him. is he winning this fight? are we putting too much into it because there doesn't seem to be room for anyone who wants to hold him accountable in the gop lately. >> yeah. the trump wing is the dominant wing in the party. there's no question about it. when you look at polling, it's between three quarters and four fifths of the party and it makes it difficult for any republicans who want to stand up for things like truth and democracy and the rule of law. i think what may be even more damaging than someone like kinzinger deciding to step down is how much success glenn youngkin is having in virginia at kind of straddling the line where he has not in any way kind of repudiated trump, but he has not given him the full-hearted embrace, and he is finding that balancing act is allowing him to hold on to a lot of republican voters, including many who are probably ambivalent about trump.
12:08 am
until there is a clear electoral cost to embracing trumpism, it is hard to see the party turning away from it. and 2020, even though biden won, i think many republicans believe was an ambiguous enough outcome that they don't see the incentive to fully back away from this. and so on we go. >> what youngkin does, he feeds red meat to the base, you know, at the rallies, right? out of the earshot, many times, of media, right? and then he appeals to a more centrist republican win his messaging on television and in the media. >> right. and in no way -- i mean he has kind of given oxygen and winks and nods toward all the claims of election fraud. you know, who knows? if republicans get unified control of government in this election next tuesday, will they pursue a voter restriction agenda like georgia and texas and florida and iowa?
12:09 am
you know, you would probably have to bet more likely than not. and yet, you know, in his kind of general messaging, he's kind of the suburban dad who wants to spend more on education even as he nods toward kind of trumpist concerns about the way racial history is taught in the schools. and i think that if he wins, there are a lot of -- i think more and more republicans will conclude that they don't have to explicitly repudiate trump, especially while biden is at a low ebb, and that will make them even less likely to do so. >> charlie, congressman kinzinger said in his announcement today that this isn't the end of his political future but the beginning. where do you think he goes from here? >> well, adam is a young guy. he still has a bright future ahead of him. look, he's playing a long game here. he knows he's not where he needs to be within the party. a lot of us know that right now. but things will change, and i think -- i do believe that republicans must acknowledge
12:10 am
that since donald trump was elected president, republicans have been getting clobbered in the suburbs. and that's so significant because you cannot win national elections. you cannot win swing state elections without performing much better in suburban communities. and trump, you know, he has shrunk the base. the base is smaller. it's angrier. and i think you're going to see more defeats. sure, i think house republicans will probably reclaim the majority in 2022. but over time, you know, the party is shrinking, and trump is losing. i mean every republican did pretty well in 2020 whose name wasn't donald trump who were on the ballot. so you have to remember, don, that this is about the suburbs at the end of the day. if youngkin loses, it's going to be because he didn't perform well enough in the d.c. suburbs, richmond suburbs, norfolk suburbs. that's what's going to happen. it's a tight race. go either way. >> thank you, gentlemen. >> can i add real quick?
12:11 am
it's in the hands of the center right republican voters who are uneasy about donald trump and what he means for democracy but are still -- but also don't like many of the democratic policies in washington. are they willing to vote for republicans who enable and excuse trump? if they are, it's going to be very hard to excise his influence from the party? the only way, as dharly dent was saying, is if they continue to suffer losses in the suburbs eventually they may continue this a dead end. if not, on it goes. >> i want to bring in cnn's senior data reporter harry enten for the latest on this neck and neck virginia governor's race. good evening. we talk about this race, and we talk about my dogs, you and i, and that's the only conversation we've had. >> that's about right. sounds about right. i like the no-tie look. i see you're adopting my style. i appreciate it. >> harry, i'm old enough to be your dad. i've been wearing tieless shirts for -- >> it's true. but my dad would be old enough
12:12 am
to be your dad, so we have the nice linear thing going on here. >> it's incredibly tight who has the edge. who do you think has the edge heading into this election? >> look, it's really close. the one thing that is clear looking at the polling average is glenn youngkin clearly has momentum. terry mcauliffe led by five points two months ago. that lead was down to three points a month ago. glenn youngkin has a point lead. in a state that donald trump lost by ten points, a republican has a real shot at winning, no bueno for democrats. >> how much of this race has to do with president biden and his slipping approval numbers? >> a lot. there's a reason why terry mcauliffe has been dropping the last two months. it pretty much goes hand in hand with joe biden's numbers dropping in the state of virginia. in october, minus 7 points in the net popularity rating. what's so important about this
12:13 am
is it isn't just in virginia this is happening. this is happening throughout the northeast united states and nationally as well. what we see essentially when you compare the 2020 margin to the net rating in 2021, right now look at this. the difference, biden's net popularity is significantly lower, minus 13 points nationally, minus 23 points in maryland, minus 26 points in new hampshire, minus 22 points down in new jersey. so that's why we can take this result in virginia, and if glenn youngkin wins, why we extrapolate this nationally and say, my goodness, joe biden really is an anchor on these democrats going forward. >> so virginia, early voting, mail-in voting. how important do you think turnout on tuesday will be? >> i think it's extremely important. if you look right now, if all the voters in virginia cast a ballot in the polling, terry mcauliffe has a three-point lead. look among likely voters. glenn youngkin has a one-point advantage. if democrats can actually get their voters to turn out on tuesday, that is much better for them. right now there is an enthusiasm gap that is benefiting glenn
12:14 am
youngkin. we'll see if that eventually happens, but i'll end on this note, don. that is if we look at virginia's history right and we look at all the elections since 1977, what do we see? we see that eight out of 11 times if we get that slide up, eight out of 11 times, the party that wins in the virginia gubernatorial election goes on to win house seats in the next midterm election. so the winner in virginia tradition traditionally has projected forward to the midterms. a very good sign for republicans heading into next year. >> doesn't history show that whoever is in the white house in virginia, the governor's race, it's the opposite party who wins -- >> of course, don. it's measuring the same idea. but this is essentially what we're finding out in the result is if the republicans win, then this is politics as normal. that is, we see a midterm penalty whereby the party in power -- >> why is everyone saying, this is so unusual? because of the lead that he has? no, it's not unusual at all. i meant that youngkin is in the
12:15 am
lead because when there's a democrat in the white house, the republican usually wins the governor's race in virginia. >> no. it's not that it's unusual. it's that it's politics as normal, even with donald trump lurking in the background, we're still seeing the midterm penalty. in the last decade or so, we've seen virginia moving rapidly to the left, and virginia used to be a very red state. so the idea that republicans could win in a state that donald trump lost by ten points, it's not just the history. it's also the comparison to 2020. i know what i'm talking about, don. believe me. >> i didn't say you didn't know what you were talking about. everyone is saying, oh, my gosh. the democrat is behind when the race usually goes to the opposite party. >> it's politics as normal, but that of course is bad news for democrats heading into the midterms. >> i got to go. >> good-bye, don. send me photos of the dogs. >> maybe. >> please? >> all right. i'll do it. it's not being taught in schools, but across the country, protesters are unloading on school boards over critical race theory.
12:16 am
>> do you have children in the school district? >> i do not. i'm retired. >> then why do you keep coming? >> i'm concerned about our loss of freedom. hi. so you're the scientist here. does my aveeno® daily moisturizer really make my dry skin healthier in one day? it's true jen. this prebiotic oat formula moisturizes to help prevent dry skin. impressive. aveeno® healthy. it's our nature.™ new daily moisture for face. when you really need to sleep you reach for the really good stuff. new zzzquil ultra helps you sleep better and longer when you need it most. it's non habit forming and powered by the makers of nyquil. new zzzquil ultra. when you really really need to sleep. what's the #1 retinol brand used most by dermatologists? it's neutrogena® rapid wrinkle repair®
12:17 am
smooths the look of fine lines in 1-week, deep wrinkles in 4. so you can kiss wrinkles goodbye! neutrogena®
12:18 am
i would've called yesterday. but... i could've called yesterday. but... i should've called yesterday, but... would've, could've, should've. we hear that a lot. hi. i'm jonathan, an insurance professional and manager here at colonial penn life insurance company. sometimes, people put off calling about life insurance. before you know it, another year has passed. and when they do call, they say, "i wish i'd called sooner." call right now for free information on the $9.95 plan. are you between age 50 and 85? you can get whole life insurance with options starting at just $9.95 a month. do i have to answer health questions to get it? there are no health questions. you cannot be turned down for any health reason, past or present. how long does this policy last?
12:19 am
our $9.95 plan is permanent protection. can my rate increase later? never. once you're insured, your rate is locked in for life. you can get whole life insurance with options starting at just $9.95 a month. have you thought about life insurance but put it off? don't regret what you didn't do yesterday. call now and feel great about saying yes today. (announcer) call now and you'll also get this free beneficiary planner.
12:20 am
the republican candidate for governor in virginia in the home stretch of the race seizing on parents' anger about critical race theory. it's happening all over the country, but why are so many people flipping out about this? it's not even being taught in schools. cnn's kyung lah has the story. >> who's the oppressor? i am because i'm white. that's what's being taught. >> reporter: the sound of rage in small town america. >> we're not going in the right direction, and our educators need to take note of this. >> reporter: this is a town hall for the douglas county, nevada, school district. >> crt is cancel culture.
12:21 am
>> reporter: crt, or critical race theory, is not being taught in the schools, but that doesn't matter to the people unloading at the school board. >> it is the purpose and intention of those that push crt to create guilt. >> reporter: the message here in a county of fewer than 50,000 people echoed in school board meetings from florida. >> as a community, we need to come together and pull our children out of these government camps. >> reporter: to wisconsin. >> it is divisive, biased, radically left, marxism designed to further alienate our american children from each other. >> reporter: republican candidates are seizing on this rally cry as fertile ground for campaigns, from virginia gubernatorial candidate glenn youngkin. >> parents asking for our schools to teach our children how to think and stop teaching them what to think. >> reporter: to nevada. >> good evening, everybody. >> reporter: where republican u.s. senate candidate adam licksalt chose the douglas county school board meeting to make a campaign appearance. >> we will start the domino to
12:22 am
raise the temperature of parents that are rising up all over this country. we will not let these people take our children. we will not let them indoctrinate them. >> this isn't an issue that people talk about, i feel like. you can see the wear that it takes on our administrators. they're just trying to educate us. so i feel like that's where i get disappointed. >> reporter: we spoke with douglas high school students and a teacher, the very people the protesters at the school board meetings say need protecting. >> i feel they don't understand that our school doesn't even have crt, and so they're arguing for something that we don't even have. >> there have been times where i've driven through this town and been scared because of protests going on. >> it has been a really hard several last few years because of the pandemic and just the amount of social strife and political division going on in our country right now. >> reporter: what kids are facing, they say, are post-pandemic problems. >> teachers have reported that kids will take something from level one to level ten
12:23 am
unexpectedly. >> reporter: along with staffing shortages, these are the issues teachers bring up at board meetings. and when you talk to the students -- are you stressed out? >> yes. i feel like i'm running a 5k when i barely walked last year because of covid. right now i'm trying to balance everything that's on my plate. >> the thing that is the most apparent that we're dealing with now is social emotional learning and getting students equipped to handle what they have in front of them. >> reporter: bob russo is convinced he knows better. in just over a week, he attended meeting -- >> it's up to us. we have to protect them. >> reporter: after meeting. >> crt is not healthy for america. >> reporter: after meeting. >> crt is undermining the progress that we have made in race relations in the last 60 years. >> do you have children in the school district? >> i do not. i'm retired. >> then why do you keep coming? >> i'm concerned about our loss
12:24 am
of freedom. >> what do you say to somebody who might be watching who says, this guy doesn't have kids in school. why is he taking part in a school board meeting? >> because i love the kids even though i don't know them. i just want to see them have happy lives. >> do you as a superintendent wish the passions were elsewhere? >> i do. i think that what has happened is it's taken our eye off of what we're really hired to do, and that's educate our students and provide a great learning environment for them. there's a lot of misinformation out there from people who have never been in any of our schools, who have never talked to any of our teachers and they hear things and make assumptions. >> reporter: kyung lah, cnn, douglas county, nevada. >> great reporting. thank you, kyung, for that. appreciate it. what is it about critical race theory that's made it a boogeyman for politics? linguist and author john america wh -- john mcwhorter is here. he's going to talk about it next.
12:25 am
and now get relief without a pill with tylenol dissolve packs. relief without the water. ever rushed to a doctor's appointment and thought: [whispers] "couldn't i do this from home?" only to get inside, where time stands still. "how long do i have to wait here?" healthcare makes many of us feel anxious, confused, exposed, and overwhelmed—but it doesn't have to be that way. letsgetchecked offers virtual care with home health testing. take the test. get your results. and get the treatment you need. letsgetchecked. care can be this good. with directv stream, i can get live tv and on demand together. watch: serena williams... wonder woman.... serena... wonder woman... serena... wonder woman... ♪ ♪ ace. advantage! you cannot be serious! ♪ ♪
12:26 am
get your tv together with the best of live and on demand. introducing directv stream. tony here from creditrepair.com taking to the streets to talk about credit. can you repair your credit yourself? yes. -great. how? uhhh... how long does credit repair take? i don't know, like 10 years. what? are you insane? what's a good credit score? go. 600. maybe if you're trying to pay thousands extra in interest rates. cut the confusion, get started with a free credit evaluation at creditrepair.com. is now a good time for a flare-up? enough, crohn's! for adults with moderate to severe crohn's or ulcerative colitis, stelara® can provide relief, and is the first approved medication to reduce inflammation on and below the surface of the intestine in uc. you, getting on that flight? back off, uc! stelara® may increase your risk of infections, some serious, and cancer.
12:27 am
before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you have an infection, flu-like symptoms, sores, new skin growths, have had cancer, or if you need a vaccine. pres, a rare, potentially fatal brain condition, may be possible. some serious allergic reactions and lung inflammation can occur. lasting remission can start with stelara®. janssen can help you explore cost support options.
12:28 am
12:29 am
so you saw it in kyung's report, manufactured outrage over critical race theory sweeping the nation and an effort to ban books from virginia to texas, putting a spotlight on parental control over education. john mcwhorter, the author of the new book "woke racism" is a regular on this show. we haven't seen him in a while. he's been writing and very busy. thank you for joining us. you just saw kyung's report. we've been following this manufactured outrage over critical race theory around the country on this show. why do you think this issue has become such a potent force in politics? >> well, i have to put on my linguist hat.
12:30 am
critical race theory is some legal documents that people wrote decades ago that nobody would read unless they were a legal scholar. but the philosophy behind them as trickled down into the way some people feel that small kids ought to be taught. so you might say that if you have a problem with what's going on in those classrooms, you have a problem with crt. but then some people will say, well, that's not what those legal scholars wrote. but i think there's still room for thinking there's something wrong with teaching small children to be opposed to what america is all about. so that's where this comes down to, and it depends on whether the school is doing it or not. then you have people on the right, some people on the right, not all of them, but some people on the right who want us to not teach kids about slavery and racism at all. that is completely wrong. but i think a lot of people are concerned with how people are
12:31 am
taught about slavery and racism. >> and the whole thing also about banning books because, look, you as an author and a linguist, i'm sure that -- i don't want to speak for you, but it's problematic for me. a texas lawmaker says he's investigating over 800 books to see if they make students feel discomfort on subjects like race and sex. in virginia, the gop candidate for the governor's race there banning toni morrison's book "beloved." what is so scary about these books? >> none of that. if you are going to be an enlightened american, you need to know that there is some blood on americans' hands, and not just some. that there is racism. there was slavery. there was jim crow. that needs to be taught. now, if i see a program where that is the center of the whole curriculum -- and that has happened in some schools -- then i am going to blow the whistle. but you cannot teach american history without teaching basic things about the fact that black people have been treated like
12:32 am
also native americans and to an extent latinos and other people very, very badly. and so, you know, banning books, some of these people think that we're only supposed to be taught that, you know, somebody put a flag in something and there was apple pie. no, no. that's false. >> yeah. >> so it's a matter of how you teach the sins of our nation. >> let's turn to your book "woke racism." explain what that is and why you believe it has become a religion, john. >> woke racism is about the fact that a certain fringe of people believe that we should center our entire consciousness on overturning power differentials. and by that, what they really mean is fighting racism. so they don't mean fighting racism is one of about 50 things we do. they mean that's what we should center everything on because the united states is based on a certain original sin the way christianity says that a human
12:33 am
being is founded upon original sin. i question that, especially because if you're going to have this religion where everything is about showing that you know racism exists, then one problem is you've shown that you know it exists, but have you actually helped anybody who is being hurt by racism? and often you're not. and then more to the point, if you're going to teach people that everything is going to be about racism and power differentials, then, one, you're ignoring most of what life is. and, two, this is the thing. woke racism is a pro-black book. people won't know this, but i'm protecting black america from the idea that to be a black person is to be mainly about what white people did or didn't do and what they think of you and what they might not think of you and what's in between. no. what being black should be about is what you like to do and what
12:34 am
you like about yourself. so woke racism is warning america against this new idea that battling power differentials is everything and that if you're not doing that, then you get thrown out of a window, that you are expelled from society. that is what a certain contingent of people, white and back, are doing. >> i've got 30 seconds here, john. i want to ask you this because you say all the effort to dismantle racist structures or even the idea of systemic racism is actually not helping black people. i think a lot of people would disagree with that. so do you think that the fight to eliminate systemic racism actually perpetuates racism or a system of victimhood? >> okay. i'll bet i have 11 seconds. all i ask is that when you see somebody saying they're battling systemic racism, look and see whether it's actually making somebody's life better because frankly, about two-thirds of the time, it's not. and that's what makes somebody
12:35 am
like me write a book. >> well, that was concise. that was 11 seconds on the nose. john, i can't wait to read it. i haven't had the opportunity yet. i have to be honest with you, and i will as you know. >> you'll like it, don. >> words on the move. how many times did i say that? a million times on this program. so "woke racism" by john mcwhorter. thank you. pleasure as always. >> thank you, don. the armorer on the movie "rust" speaking out, saying she is not at fault and laying blame on what she calls an unsafe production set. i'm going to speak with a veteran actor who's got some strong opinions about what happened on that set. you may know him. as a said, a veteran actor. there he is. you know him from "the young and the restless." eric breeden is here. we'll be right back.
12:36 am
12:37 am
did you know that even after you sanitize a surface, every touch can leave new bacteria behind? that means, you could be right back where you started. break the cycle with microban 24. just spray once and your surfaces are protected against bacteria all day. microban keeps killing 99.9% of bacteria touch after touch for up to 24 hours*. these leading disinfectants do not. use the sanitizer 4 out of 5 doctors would use in their own homes microban 24.
12:38 am
the sleep number 360 smart bed is on sale now. it helps keep you effortlessly comfortable by sensing your movements and automatically responding to both of you. and, it's temperature balancing to help you stay comfortable all night. it even tracks your circadian rhythm, so you know when you're at your best. in other words, it's the most energy-building, wellness-boosting, parent-powering, proven quality night's sleep we've ever made. save up to $1,200 on select sleep number 360 smart beds and adjustable bases. plus, 0% interest for 36 months on all smart beds. ends monday.
12:39 am
12:40 am
so he has been a working actor since the 1960s. having shotguns on sets in westerns like gunsmoke, and he says what happened on the set of "rust" was really amateur time. so the star of "the young and the restless," eric braeden is here. it's so good to see you. i have to be honest and full transparency. eric and i have become friends through social media, and whenever i see him on a show playing either a bad guy with a gun or victor newman or whatever, i'll text him and say, hey, i'm watching you on mannix right now. >> i'm a big admirer of you and of cnn.
12:41 am
chris cuomo, anderson cooper, everyone on that show i have observed for many years now. >> thank you so much. >> you guys are reliable journalists. >> thank you. so let's talk about this because you sent me a note saying, look, i want to come on and explain, or i want to explain. if you want to have me on, then do it. when you go to work an a movie, you don't expect a tragedy like this. a woman is dead, this ongoing investigation. tell me what happens. how can a situation like this happen, eric? >> there's a hierarchy on the set, and that hierarchy means that the assistant director is responsible for everything going on on the set. above him is the director. but the director is usually concerned with the shots, with the angles, with talking to the actor. the assistant director asks every department head, are you ready for this shot? an assistant director does not hand the gun to the actor.
12:42 am
that has not happened to me in over 60 years in this business, ever. i've been on more shows with guns than you can shake a fist at. so that obviously -- that hierarchy was broken. as far as i'm concerned, it was an independent film. i don't know anything more about it. i have a feeling that they were overworked and underpaid as they usually are on independent films. >> but doesn't everyone try to save money on films, even big-budget films? >> well, yeah, but i mean you don't save on that. >> yeah. >> that's amateur time in dixie. >> so how is this supposed to happen? >> when you have an armorer on the show like that, you need two or three. that's an enormous responsibility to put on the shoulders of a 24-year-old girl to handle all the equipment, all the props that are involved on that show. so what happens is the actor gets ready for the scene. the assistant director looks around, looks to the armorer, says ready?
12:43 am
okay. give him the gun. the armorer comes over, shows the gun to the actor, opens -- has him look at the barrel, look at the whole thing, say okay, it's empty. all right. cool. close it. ready to go. now, another thing that puzzles me is the fact that i don't know if this was a rehearsal or a take. >> rehearsal. >> even in the rehearsal, you say "action." what the hell was the director and the d.p. doing standing right in the line of that shot? i don't understand that. i feel dreadful for the woman, hutchins, halyna hutchins. i feel bad for everyone concerned. i feel terribly badly for alec baldwin. he's a nice man. i know him. he's a good guy, a good actor, great professional. he was given that gun by an a.d. who then proclaimed there's a cold gun.
12:44 am
that's -- something is very rotten in the state of denmark. i don't understand how then the director and the d.p. would stand in the line of the shot. that is very peculiar to me. i don't understand that. >> even if there's nothing in the gun? >> even if there's nothing in the gun. look, you just don't do that. when there's a gun around, everyone is quiet. everyone settles down. you know there's a heightened danger. stuff happens. when you do -- when you work 12, 14 hours a day and you rush, rush, rush, things happen. things are forgotten. who knows? how that live bullet came into the gun is another mystery, but could have happened. who knows? apparently the rumors that they were doing live shooting on the set, had tin cans or whatever, i have never been on a set when that happened, not ever in 60 years in this business have i known of a crew or whoever it was doing live shots on a set. that's absolutely unheard of.
12:45 am
>> yeah. well, they were saying possibly they were practicing or, you know, between sets. >> that's -- >> but it wasn't on the set. according to the armorer, the young lady, she's saying that's b.s. as well, that it never happened. >> well, the point is how did that bullet -- if they had checked that thing, it should have been empty, period. >> or there should have been -- >> or a fake bullet, of course. >> i've got to get to another segment. i appreciate you coming on. we learned a lot. it's good to see you. please keep sending me those notes about everything. >> you keep on doing a great show. hello to everyone at cnn. bye-bye. the jurors in the derek chauvin trial speaking exclusively with me. next, george floyd's family reacts. his broth philonise and the family lawyer ben crump are here. ou'd never do a lot of things.
12:46 am
but you never knew what a dog could do for you. and with resolve, you never worry about the mess. love the love, resolve the mess. i had to start looking into loans. within two days of me contacting opploans the money was in my account. visit opploans today to apply for loans from five hundred to four thousand dollars. with an easy application and quick decisions, opploans looks beyond your traditional credit score to determine your eligibility and if you're approved, put cash in your account as soon as the next day. with top-rated customer service to handle your situation and treat you with respect. when the loan came through, it was a huge sigh of relief. opploans. the loan you need, right when you need it. feeling sluggish or weighed down? it could be a sign that your digestive system isn't working at it's best taking metamucil everyday can help. metamucil psyllium fiber, gels to trap and remove the waste that weighs you down. it also helps lower cholesterol and slows sugar absorption to promote healthy blood sugar levels. so you can feel lighter and more energetic metamucil. support your daily digestive health.
12:47 am
and try metamucil fiber thins. a great tasting and easy way to start your day. - [narrator] as you get ready for what's next, custom gear from custom ink can help make the most of these moments. we've developed new tools to make it easy for you. custom ink has hundreds of products to help you feel connected. upload your logo or start your design today at customink.com i would've called yesterday. but... i could've called yesterday.
12:48 am
but... i should've called yesterday, but... would've, could've, should've. we hear that a lot. hi. i'm jonathan, an insurance professional and manager here at colonial penn life insurance company. sometimes, people put off calling about life insurance. before you know it, another year has passed. and when they do call, they say, "i wish i'd called sooner." call right now for free information on the $9.95 plan. are you between age 50 and 85? you can get whole life insurance with options starting at just $9.95 a month. do i have to answer health questions to get it? there are no health questions. you cannot be turned down for any health reason, past or present. how long does this policy last? our $9.95 plan is permanent protection. can my rate increase later? never. once you're insured, your rate is locked in for life. you can get whole life insurance with options starting at just $9.95 a month.
12:49 am
have you thought about life insurance but put it off? don't regret what you didn't do yesterday. call now and feel great about saying yes today. (announcer) call now and you'll also get this free beneficiary planner. [♪] looking to repair dry, damaged hair without weighing it down? try pantene daily moisture renewal conditioner. its color-safe formula uses smart conditioners to micro-target damage helping to repair hair without weighing it down. try pantene. tony here from creditrepair.com taking to the streets to talk about credit. can you repair your credit yourself?
12:50 am
yes. -great. how? uhhh... how long does credit repair take? i don't know, like 10 years. what? are you insane? what's a good credit score? go. 600. maybe if you're trying to pay thousands extra in interest rates. cut the confusion, get started with a free credit evaluation at creditrepair.com. the jurors from the derek chauvin trial sitting down with me in an exclusive interview, and i got insight into what was going on inside that deliberation room and what brought the jury to a guilty verdict in the murder of george floyd. george floyd's brothers, philonise floyd is with me. attorney ben crump as well. gentlemen, thank you so much. philonise, i asked the jurors if they had a message to you and to derek chauvin. this is what they told me.
12:51 am
>> anything you guys would like to -- anybody would like to say to the floyd family? >> we feel for you. we're sorry. we hope as a group we did the right thing. >> absolutely. >> is there anything that you -- any one of you would like to say to derek chauvin? anybody? >> why? >> what were you thinking? >> why? why? why did you do this? why didn't you get up? that's been the question on everybody's mind. why did you stay there so long? why? >> philonise, what's your message to the jury? >> i just want to thank them so much for being able to withstand what they've had to go through. nobody could ever anticipate the things that's going through their mind and the things
12:52 am
they're going through in that courtroom because i went through it, but i didn't have to make that decision that they had to make. it seemed like the video had all the proof. i just want to thank them for realizing that my brother was human and his life mattered because they showed that his life mattered when they read guilty, guilty, guilty. and that was a beautiful thing that day. >> ben, these jurors knew the evidence backwards and forwards, and when they talked about their deliberations, they told me in the deliberations, race was not a factor. watch. >> i mean, i think we got here because of systemic racism within the system, right, because of what's been going on. that's how we got to a courtroom in the first place. but when it came down to all three verdicts, it was based on the evidence and the facts 100%. >> listen, as an attorney, that's got to make you feel good. i mean evidence and facts 100%.
12:53 am
what stood out to you about how they went through their deliberations? >> well, it [ inaudible ] -- and the floyd family, but, don, your episode was very therapeutic for america. it gave us hope that you can find fair and impartial juries no matter how much pretrial publicity there is, and that was evidenced in this interview. it really should be taught in law schools and trial law seminars all across the america. this episode, they would often show us the henry fonda movie "12 angry men" but i think what you all did here was incredible. it showed that people can follow the law as instructed to them and base their verdict on the evidence. it gives us hope for ahmaud arbery a trial as well.
12:54 am
>> the jury said they are still feeling the impact. i'm sure you can relate to that. >> yes, i can relate to that at all times because the people who we love, we carry them with us at all times. so i gave a speech today here in vermont, and it's 94% caucasian and 6% african-american. and when i tell you that people were clapping and jumping up and down when seen me, it made me feel good, and people were asking me about the jurors. they was asking me about you on cnn. they was -- people were anticipating me when i came, so to make a long story short, don, when that lady -- i can't remember her name, the juror. she said that george, he was in
12:55 am
custody, but they didn't care for him while he was in custody. >> she said they were in the custody -- she felt like george floyd was in the custody of the police, but he was never in their care. and it wasn't what -- another juror said it wasn't what derek chauvin did. it's what he didn't do, and that was try to save george floyd's life or try to offer assistance to him and put him in the care. listen, i understand what you're saying. i know it feels good because people are engaged, because we have short memories in this country, and it's good that you're out there. you're reminding people of what happened and keeping it foremost in their minds and that they're engaged. i've got to run. i want to thank you both. i'm so glad that you liked this, and i hope it is taught in schools. i hope that schools do show this, that these people did their civic duty. thank you both. >> thank you, don. >> thank you. >> thank you. you have a good weekend. thanks for watching, everyone. our coverage continues.
12:56 am
feel the power. beat the symptoms fast.
12:57 am
12:58 am
12:59 am
it's another day. and anything could happen. it could be the day you welcome 1,200 guests and all their devices. or it could be the day there's a cyberthreat. only comcast business' secure network solutions give you the power of sd-wan and advanced security integrated on our activecore platform so you can control your network from anywhere, anytime. it's network management redefined. every day in business is a big day. we'll keep you ready for what's next. comcast business powering possibilities.
1:00 am
live from cnn world headquarters in atlanta, welcome to all of you watching us here in the united states, canada, and around the world, i'm kim brunhuber. this is "cnn newsroom." it's now 10:00 a.m. in rome. the ceremony to open the g20 summit in rome begins this hour. this is the first time leaders have been able to meet face-to-face in more than two years to face a whole agenda of critically important issues. the ire ran nuclear deal will be the subject of the u.s., uk, germany and france. biden heads to

91 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on