Skip to main content

tv   New Day With John Berman and Brianna Keilar  CNN  July 13, 2021 5:00am-6:00am PDT

5:00 am
new projects means new project managers. you need to hire. i need indeed. indeed you do. when you sponsor a job, you immediately get your shortlist of quality candidates, whose resumes on indeed match your job criteria. visit indeed.com/hire and get started today. i'm brianna key letter alongside john berman on this "new day." she says she was fired over an argument about vaccinating teens and she is standing by to talk to us now. plus president biden's speech in philadelphia. how he'll layout the case for voting rights and call out donald trump's big lie. dozens of democrats in texas taking a dramatic stand against restrictive voting bills. they left the state. one of the lawmakers joins us live. and the new book blowing off the lid of the last days of
5:01 am
president trump's white house. an insider including the former president himself. ♪ ♪ a very good morning to viewers here in the united states and around the world. it is tuesday, july 13th and we are beginning with the firing of tennessee's top vaccine official, dr. michelle fiskus says she lost her job over an argument about vaccinating teenagers against coronavirus. now she's worried about her state. >> all of this stems from a memo she sent in may to medical providers about minors getting medical care without their parents' position. cnn reached out to the tennessee state department. they said they cannot couldn't on health care matters.
5:02 am
>> she joins us now, a pediatrician who served as the medical director of the vaccine preventable diseases and immunization programs at the tennessee department of health. doctor, thanks so much for being with us. first, can you just tell us about this memo, what it said and why you drafted it? >> sure, good morning, and thank you for having me on this morning. you know, i wrote the memo to covid-19 vaccine providers in the state of tennessee after i received several questions about what people should do if minors showed up to request a covid vaccine. we were right on the cusp of the pfizer vaccine being billable for 12 years old and older. i asked our office of general counsel to provide some language to explain the minor doctrine which has been in place since the supreme court ruling in 1987, and sent that out in a memo to vaccine providers, and
5:03 am
received some backlash as a result of that. and some of our legislators felt that the memo was meant to undermine parental authority rather than providing factual information to vaccine providers in the state on how to care for minors. >> are you, in your view, being villainized for following science? how do you see this? >> well, i think, in general, our state is not among the most progressive when it comes to listening to scientists. our vaccination rate is at 38%. it's one of the worst in the country, although we had one of the fastest rollouts of the covid-19 vaccine in the country. and so there is a significant contingent of people here and many of our lawmakers, unfortunately, choose to buy into antivaccine rhetoric and conspiracy theory instead of
5:04 am
listening to science and cdc recommendations. >> have you been told why you were fired? >> i was not. when you're an executive service position in the department of health you serve at the pleasure of the governor. you can be terminated without cause, so that's what happened yesterday. i was given a choice to resign or be terminated, and i chose to be terminated because i've not done anything wrong except inform our physicians of what the guidelines were around vaccinating minors. my job is to protect, promote and improve the health and prosperity of tennesseeans, and that includes getting them vaccinated against covid-19 and helping them in choosing to get vaccinated. >> in your statement you write you are the 25th of 64 state and territorial immunization program directors to actually leave their position during this
5:05 am
pandemic. what has it been like to be a public health official in tennessee? >> you know, this is a job that i absolutely love. it's work that i love. the people that i work with, i work around people in the tennessee department of health, they're amazing and they have worked themselves to exhaustion to try to help people of tennessee. but our leadership has been toxic to work under, and morale within the department is poor. there are state workers all over the state who fear for their jobs because they want to do the right thing and the administration is much more interested in politics. and what really concerns me is that in order to appease the legislators that were upset about this memo, our leadership of the department of health has instructed the department of health to no longer do outreach
5:06 am
around immunizations for children of any kind. that's infant immunizations, hp immunizations in the state that has one of the highest hpv rates in the country. outreach in schools is being canceled for the fall. back to school immunizations can't be messaged -- i'm sorry. the national immunization awareness month is in august and we were told we're not allowed to message that. that is the travesty. that is where the people of tennessee have been sold out for politics. and that is, frankly, why i am here, is because of my 24 colleagues who have also endured this and other issues along the course of dealing with this pandemic. and someone needs to speak out about it, and so i guess that will be me. >> so, that isn't just -- we're not just talking about anti-covid vaccinations. we're talking about witnessing a movement of anti-vaccinations, period.
5:07 am
>> that's right. >> and what is that going to mean? >> well, we already have districts in our schools that have below standard immunization rates. we already have counties in tennessee that are prime sites for outbreaks of highly infectious diseases. we're 30,000 doses behind in mmr vaccines because parents felt like they couldn't get vaccinated or their pediatricians or the department of health weren't available during the pandemic. we have been told we can't even go remind those parents that they need to bring their children in to get vaccinated. so if folks think that covid-19 is highly transmissible, measles outbreaks are nine times more transmissible than covid-19, and this is what we're trying to prevent. we're trying to prevent diseases that can be prevented.
5:08 am
and, you know, at this point there is no reason for anyone to die from covid-19 or any other vaccine preventable disease. >> you cannot message to parents to get their children routinely vaccinated. it is really a stunning development. dr. michelle fiscus, thank you for being with us. >> thanks for your time. >> wow. >> i know. can you imagine? >> no. >> it makes no sense. >> it makes no sense at all. it seems as if the people in tennessee, that their health is being deliberately compromised somehow. >> yeah. and that it's not just -- we're not just talking about the covid vaccine. now we're hearing something alarming from dr. fiscus. that all vaccines are being politicized when they have just been routine and have been responsible for keeping so many americans and so many kids safe. >> it has come to this, i have to say. again, the optional portion of the pandemic and much more beyond. >> yeah.
5:09 am
>> all right. president biden wades in knee deep into the voting rights when he delivers a speech in philadelphia. he is expected to launch a pressure campaign where they are trying to restrict access to the ballot box. cnn correspondent john harwood joins us now. so, he's going to talk about the morality behind this, john, but does he have a plan to actually change it? >> reporter: well, he's got a plan to try to change it, but he doesn't now have the votes to change it in terms of action by the congress. and so what he's going to do with this moral case, as white house officials say, is there is merit to it and that's the tool that he has in addition to some executive actions that he's taking, the justice department, for example, is filing suit against some of the state laws to constrain voting access. there are laws in 17 states where republicans are trying to curb voting access.
5:10 am
but because of the close division within the united states senate, 50/50, and the existence of the filibuster which democrats do not have the votes right now to get rid of, joe biden has got to use the bully pulpit as his best tool to try to make change. now, democrats don't think that the situation today necessarily will be the situation later in the year. there is a sequencing by the white house. their current priority, as you know, john, is to enact an infrastructure proposal on a bipartisan basis, enact a larger piece of legislation with democratic votes along to help struggling families. they don't want a partisan message to interfere with that at the moment. so what they're going to do is go to philadelphia to the national constitution center and make the argument that the american constitution enshrined a democratic system in which the right to vote was paramount and has been expanded, of course, over the years. and now what has happened is the
5:11 am
republican party, seeing power moving in the opposite direction, is trying to take changes to stop that. and we've seen that in the wake of the 2020 election, which, of course, was scrutinized heavily and the courts affirmed the validity of it. you were talking to author michael wolff in the last hour. it's not like politics is going in the same direction. it's been captured by absurdity. but absurdity has been married with the fear of declining clout by the republican party and its constituents. and joe biden has got to try to make a public argument to his party, hoping that they'll get action later to stop it. >> hey, thanks for being a loyal viewer of the 7:00 hour. b, john, we just did get a bit of breaking news. we confirmed the first lady dr. jill biden will travel to the olympics in japan. there had been some question because of the state of emergency that will be imposed
5:12 am
because of the games. >> right. there are not going to be spectators at the games. the united states wanted to have a presence. there is no indication president biden is going to join his wife, dr. jill biden at the olympics, but she is going to plant the flag, in effect, for the united states, for the united states team. and that's a significant development. >> john harwood, great to see you. thanks for watching. >> reporter: you bet. up next, the governor of texas threatening to arrest democratic lawmakers for leaving the state. one of those lawmakers responds live next. plus, former president trump wanted to execute who for what? the leak that rattled him more than any other. one, two! one, two, three! only pay for what you need! with customized car insurance from liberty mutual! nothing rhymes with liberty mutual. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
5:13 am
aloha! isn't this a cozy little room? sorry your vacation request took so long to get approved, so you missed out on the suite special. but lucky for you, they had this. when employees are forced to wait for vacation request approvals,it can really cramp their style. i'm gonna leave you to it. um, just— with paycom, employees enter and manage their own hr data in a single, easy-to-use software. visit paycom.com and schedule a demo today.
5:14 am
5:15 am
ice cream is like whooping cough, it's not just for kids. whooping cough is highly contagious for people of any age. and it can cause violent uncontrollable coughing fits. ask your doctor or pharmacist about whooping cough vaccination because it's not just for kids.
5:16 am
the texas statehouse's democratic caucus is in washington this morning after fleeing their home state in protest. they want to block a controversial voting bill that texas republicans are trying to pass in a special legislative session. texas governor greg abbott had this to say. >> what the house of representatives can do, what the speaker can do is issue a call to have these members arrested. in addition to that, however, i can and i will continue to call special session after special session after special session, all the way up until election next year. as soon as they come back in the state of texas, they will be
5:17 am
arrested, they will be cabined inside the texas capital until they get their job done. >> joining me now, one of the state legislators governor abbott was talking about there, state representative jasmin crockett. thank you for joining us in studio this morning. i do appreciate it. two threats there from the governor. let's talk about them. he's threatening you and your democratic colleagues will be arrested. do you worry about that? >> i don't. >> why not? >> i know the law, the governor knows the law as well. i'm a criminal defense attorney. i haven't committed a crime so i can't be arrested. the most that can happen is i'd be detained. the governor doesn't make that decision. it's the speaker of the house. the speaker was elected by both democrats and republicans. he is the one that has to make that an issue. the governor can do special session after special session. i'm sure that's kind of your next question. >> yeah. >> but i'm not worried about the threat of being arrested.
5:18 am
the most that could happen is we could be detained, which is why we got out of the state. the governor of texas has no jurisdiction outside of the state of texas along with dps. >> so if he's threatening that the special session going for 30 days, you have to stay out of texas for all 30 days, right? >> absolutely. >> so if he's threatening special session after special session, eventually don't you just have to go to work and deal with this? >> so, yes and no. here's the interesting part. the governor got so frustrated that he vetoed the legislative branch. with that, that means that we can't function anyway. there is no money after september 1, so he can call as many special sessions as he wants to, but there's no funding. we need parliamentarians, we need those that work in our committees. we need those that actually draft the bills. we don't draft the bills ourselves. guess what, he defunded them when he got upset we didn't pass his funding bill last time. that funding ends september 1. if he calls us back, there is no
5:19 am
one to go back. the work can't get done after september 1. >> let's talk about what's in the bill that you oppose because the bill last time is different from this one. they dropped the sunday voting prohibition and they dropped the process that would have made it easier to overturn election results. so what is still in the bill that is worth doing this for? >> yeah, absolutely. so, there is a voter i.d. for vote by mail, which is very interesting, you know. texas got slammed before for voter i.d. we still have it, but the court decided, hey, you need to make some provisions for those that maybe can't get an i.d. so there is a voter i.d. issue when it comes to vote by mail. 24-hour voting, that became a huge sticking point. what we saw in harris county, which is the most populace county and one of the most populous counties in the country, we heard testimony on saturday from first responders, those that have been on the front lines of covid-19 saying,
5:20 am
hey, 24-hour voting was a deal changer for us. we could go on shift, work for 24 hours, and know that we could still participate in democracy. we were able to go ahead and vote whenever we were available. we also had an opportunity to sit in our cars, you know. so these medical providers that are sitting here trying to save us from a pandemic, they had that option, and they used that option. but more importantly what we saw is the people that took advantage of actually drive-thru voting, the vast majority were minorities. that's the problem. that was the target. >> they did use those voting abilities in a larger proportion than white voters. i want to ask you about how you got here. a couple charter planes. the governor is saying essentially, this is a junk-it that is paid for by taxpayers. you say? >> no. >> what? >> i say the only person that is wasting taxpayer money -- >> is this paid for by taxpayer? >> absolutely not. >> who is paying for it?
5:21 am
>> i paid for my own ticket. i flew southwest. >> the charter flight with 50 democrats? >> they were not paid for by taxpayer money. we have people that are supporting us such as beto o'rourke. we have people that are in in seeing that democracy actually prevails. so we had help, but that wasn't taxpayer dollars. we would not do that. we don't even have access to that. i mean, to be honest, we make $600 a month as it is. so i don't know how we're just going to grab a load of money, taxpayer money and say, hey, we're going to use this to go to d.c. so no, it's not funded by taxpayers. >> lastly, you're here in washington. >> yes. >> it seems like this debate, we're going to hear the president talk about it. what are democrats really doing about it in washington at this point? what you're saying, is it just falling on deaf ears? >> you know, the last time we were here, sadly enough i have to say the last time. i was elected to stay in austin, not in d.c. but we moved the needle the last time we were here. you and i and trey martinez
5:22 am
fisher talked about our conversations. we were able to move manchin in some way. we didn't have an opportunity to talk to senator sinema last time, and so we want to move the needle a little bit more. we want to impress upon them how serious this is. we're not with our families right now. we're not able to go back to our state. it's just that serious. we're not asking for anything that we're not entitled to. all we need is oversight, and i think that, you know, carving out a special exception on the filibuster specifically for this, nothing else, i think that's not too much to ask. >> representative jasmin crockett, thank you so much for being with us. >> thanks. good to see you. and next the explosive revelations about donald trump's comments about hitler and african americans. plus, the leaked story that had former president trump calling for executions. the author of a brand-new book joins us with that and more. this isn't just a walk up the stairs. when you have an irregular heartbeat, it's more. it's dignity.
5:23 am
the freedom to go where you want, knowing your doctor can watch over your heart. ♪ i've spent centuries evolving with the world. that's the nature of being the economy. observing investors choose assets to balance risk and reward. with one element securing portfolios, time after time. gold. agile and liquid. a proven protector. an ever-evolving enabler of bold decisions. an asset more relevant than ever before. gold. your strategic advantage. we've got you taken care of, sgt. houston. thank you. that was fast! one call to usaa got her a tow, her claim paid... ...and even her grandpa's dog tags back. get a quote.
5:24 am
(sound of people returning to the workplace) (sound of a busy office) (phones ringing, people talking, meeting) the company we've trusted to keep us working remotely, is the same company we'll trust to bring us back together. safely. securely. and responsibly. so now, between all apart and all together, there's a bridge. cisco. the bridge to possible. flowers are fighters. that's why the alzheimer's association walk to end alzheimer's is full of them. because flowers find a way to break through. just like we will. join the fight at alz.org/walk
5:25 am
this may look like a regular movie night. but if you're a kid with diabetes, it's more. it's the simple act of enjoying time with friends, knowing you understand your glucose levels. ♪ delicia: this is where all our recycling is sorted -- 1.2 million pounds every day, helping to make san francisco the greenest big city in america. but that's not all you'll find here. there are hundreds of good-paying jobs, with most new workers hired from bayview-hunter's point. we don't just work at recology, we own it,
5:26 am
creating opportunity and a better planet. now, that's making a difference. look...if your wireless carrier was a guy, you'd leave him tomorrow. not very flexible. not great at saving. you deserve better - xfinity mobile. now, they have unlimited for just $30 a month. $30 dollars. and they're number 1 in customer satisfaction. his number? delete it. deleting it. so break free from the big three. xfinity internet customers, take the savings challenge at xfinitymobile.com/mysavings or visit an xfinity store to learn how our switch squad makes it easy to switch and save hundreds. a new book out today gives an "inside look" into the chaos and struggles of former president trump's 2020 campaign.
5:27 am
frankly, we did win this election. the inside story of how trump lost by author michael bender chronicles the aftermath of trump's election defeat, including this. this is from mike pompeo, former secretary of state. quote, the crazies have taken over, secretary of state mike pompeo warned a colleague. he conveyed concern to others that mr. trump might be more willing to engage in an international conflict to strengthen his political argument for remaining in office. joining us now michael bender, who is also the senior white house reporter for the washington journal. thank you for joining us. >> thank you. >> i started with the pompeo book. from a 30,000 foot view, i think this is the thrust of what your book gets into, which is that so many people inside the white house and in trump world felt that the president was dangerous. >> yeah. >> felt that he was dangerous, yet didn't take it public. >> that's right. i think we are all pretty familiar with the story of the chaos of trump's four years,
5:28 am
whether it's the administration or the president himself. what this book lays out pretty me tho methodically and for the first time how dangerous people cl closeest to trump thought he was dangerous for the country. you bring up a good one. secretary mike pompeo becomes concerned about the national security of the country, the domestic unrest and what that could mean internationally. privately he sets of a call, daily call with the chief of staff, and mark milley, the nation's top general in order to try to keep temperatures down. publicly what does he say? he says that there is going to be a smooth transition to a second trump term. that's a problem. >> if so many people in this world felt that the president was a threat to democracy, yet weren't willing to tell the american people? >> people have different reasons for being around trump. there's a lot of shorthands in the media.
5:29 am
enablers, grifters who are attracted to the center of power as in any administration. what was striking to me in this book, how people told themselves they were the truth tellers to the president. they were the ones who were there as the guardrails. but when you talk to other people in those meetings and no one was really telling trump no or being clear to him from minor things, the size of rallies, no one told him that tulsa was going to be half empty until he was in the arena and he learned it from tv. that story is in the book. bigger issues here, all the way to january 6th where mike pence tells trump he'll look at any legal analysis he has, any legal analysis his lawyers can come up with he'll take a look at, although he doesn't think he has the authority to overturn the election results. the president hears the first part and tells the vice
5:30 am
president's openness, which brings him to an interview i had with him where he tells me, mike pence never told me that he wasn't going to do this. mike pence never told me no. >> again and again and again, you bring up that pence thing because pence, except for throwing paper at him once at a time, having paper thrown at him in the press in 2018, never tells the president really flat-out the truth about the election. there were campaign advisers who went in to him early after the election day and said there was only a 5% chance? >> 5 to 10% chance of winning. if you recall, the election takes a few days to be called. the people closest to trump are trying to decide what to tell him. some people did want to tell him. you've lost, let's move on. the decision ultimately is to present trump with a plan that he still has, not to tell him he lost, but he still has a chance to win. 5 to 10% chance. and i tell you, there is not a 5 to 10% chance of overturning one
5:31 am
of those states. >> right. >> let alone all three that they needed. >> what he heard there was, you're saying there's a chance. >> correct. think back to 2015 and his first meeting with corey lewandowski, his first campaign manager, who told him we have 5 to 10% chance of winning this whole thing and it worked. >> the reason i wanted to lay that all out is because of the impact it has on trump's supporters, that ultimately you can draw a straight line to the january insurrection. one of the things i think is so terrific about your book, interwoven in your book is your vast experience at trump rallies, starting back in the campaign, but all through the administration where you spent time and talked to the people at the rallies. i'm a grateful dead fan. people go from show to show to show, except they're not holding up a finger saying, i need a miracle. they're trying to get tickets to trump events and following him like he's a prophet. you stay in touch with one who was at the insurrection, sandra,
5:32 am
and she gives us an insight into her mentality. she says, we're all on the edge of our seats waiting to hear about the next event, she said. now we're like an army and it's like boots on the ground. tell us where we need to go? tell us where we need to be? and we just drop everything and we go. nobody cares about if they have to work. nobody cares about anything. >> yeah, that's right. a lot of the trump supporters, he gave voice to a lot of their in securities, their grievances. and for the first time -- and draws a lot of people into politics the first time. the people who go to all these rallies, you made the grateful dead comparison which is a good one. they found a sense of community there. people who have time to go to 20, 30 rallies are estranged from their family, don't have families themselves, and they found their own little family here, which in a way trump enriched their lives. but i think -- and i appreciate this book is going to be the only one that goes -- takes readers behind the scenes of the
5:33 am
oval office to show how he governed the country. behind the scenes of the campaign to show how they spent $2 billion and were still scrambling to chase biden in the last days. and then spends a lot of time -- i was embedded for two years with these trump supporters going rally to rally to rally with them. and it's important to understand them in order to understand what happened on january 6th and why thousands of people keep showing up for his rallies just this last month. >> when he lies to them, many of these people are buying it. and when the people inside the white house know better don't publicly stand up to him, it's allowing it to happen. and i think that's why the impact here is so important. look, there is a lot more in this book. stick around because i want to talk about the leak where the president threatened to have the leaker executed. we'll get to that when we come back.
5:34 am
5:35 am
5:36 am
for people who could use a lift new neutrogena® rapid firming. a triple-lift serum with pure collagen. 92% saw visibly firmer skin in just 4 weeks. neutrogena® for people with skin. [announcement on pa] introducing togo's new cheese steak melt, featuring fresh artisan bread, layered with tender seasoned steak, sautéed mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and smothered with melty american cheese.
5:37 am
the new cheese steak melt, now at togo's. back with us to continue discussion about his new book detailing the tumult of president trump's last days in
5:38 am
office, michael bender. you talk about an episode i have read in this, it talks about when the former president was taken under the bunker during the demonstrations in lafayette square. once it was leaked he was taken out of the bunker, he got upset. how upset? let me read a quote from your book. west wing advisers knew he must be upset when he summoned them first thing in the morning several hours before he emerged from the residence. he boiled over and shouted out to smoke out whoever leaked it. it was the most upset some aides had seen him. whoever did that, they should be charged with treason, trump yelled. they should be executed. okay, why did it upset him so much? >> because two reasons. one is he thought it made him look weak. and the other was the more existential reason here, he could feel his administration
5:39 am
slipping away at this point. if you recall, 2020, it's hard to remember. 2020 started out very positive for trump. he had survived not just survived impeachment, first impeachment, but was thriving. his poll numbers were at their highest point. the economy was red hot. he had a direct path to reelection. and just a couple of months later there are several crises that upend daily life for every american in the country, right. and he doesn't know -- he struggles to find some way to address this. he can't readjust the message quick enough and he lashes out about this leak from my very talented competitors, peter baker and maggie haberman. that's what he focuses on. he was reporting this scene in this time period how many aides, the first thing they recalled was how upset trump was. not just in the moment, but for
5:40 am
days afterwards. and how much it drove his push for a tough response to the protests, you know. it leads very quickly to one of the most controversial political scenes with him and his top aides in front of st. john's church holding the bible. that's a moment that will be remembered in political history for years, and this book gives the most full accounting of that to date. >> i've got to say, when you hear treason and execution, your first inclination is, oh, he must be joking, using hyperbole. who knows at this point. >> that's right. in hindsight, the people i talked to, the aides i talked to around trump assumed he wasn't serious about that. but i didn't speak to anyone who actually asked him to find out. >> after the insurrection you have to take everything seriously. i want to ask about the first lady. it's interesting. i did not know until i read your
5:41 am
book she didn't want the election night festivities to be at the white house. >> yeah. >> why? >> well, she's similar to the president in that she is very concerned about germs, just as g germophobic as president trump. she was concerned about covid. the reason they had to have it at the white house, washington, d.c. and basically every other major city in the country had restricted large gatherings at that point. the white house was the one place where the president could do this. but she didn't want people to get sick. she didn't want people to get sick and die, and pushed back repeatedly, told the chief of staff three times, no, until the chief of staff has to bring in jared kushner who tells the president, and it's a phone call from the president on air force one four days from election night, asking her to reconsider, and she basically throws up her hands and says, you know, do what you want. you're going to do it anyway. >> that's incredible.
5:42 am
four days, she was fighting until four days before. another thing here talking about her fears about covid inside the white house. the christmas parties that were going on, the governor christie insisted ongoing. melania did successfully cut down the invite list for the holiday event. south dakota governor insisted on attending multiple christmas parties. fine, if she wants to get covid that bad, it's up to her. >> there are several examples in the book of people around trump, his loved ones, his family, his closest aides who fight him, push back to a point. they see themselves as truth tellers and guardrails, but what they end up being is sort of speed bumps. a slowing it down for a few minutes until the president pushes through. >> let me just close with that point, then. so often with a book like this. people say, what does this matter to me now? why does this matter now? well, it does matter now because the former president is out there still talking about some of this stuff.
5:43 am
he's saying that the insurrection was all about love. >> yeah. he singled out my book, he's attacking this book because he knows how many people i talked to, people who don't normally talk to journalists. and he very much wants a political future. what that future means, i'm not exactly sure, but republicans have a choice here heading into the next two years. are they going to try to define the party post-trump or not? and i think what this book helps inform them is that they're going to make that choice with their eyes wide open about what kind of politician this is and what kind of president he was. >> again, you say the president is attacking this book. you talked to him. you had a nice visit to mar-a-lago and a dinner there. >> twice. he was very generous with his time. he was. >> it wasn't like he wasn't a source. thank you for joining us. wish you the best of luck. >> thank you 1rvery much.
5:44 am
president biden speaking about voting rights. >> and cnn's jim accosta on his cuban roots and his reaction to what's happening. so then i said to him, you oughta customize your car insurance with liberty mutual, so you only pay for what you need. hot dog or... chicken? only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ from prom dresses to workouts and new adventures you hope the more you give the less they'll miss. but even if your teen was vaccinated against meningitis in the past they may be missing vaccination for meningitis b. although uncommon, up to 1 in 5 survivors of meningitis will have long term consequences. now as you're thinking about all the vaccines your teen might need make sure you ask your doctor if your teen is missing meningitis b vaccination.
5:45 am
they said it couldn't be done but you managed to pack a record 1.1 trillion transistors into this chip whoo! yeah! oh, hi i invested in invesco qqq a fund that invests in the innovators of the nasdaq 100 like you you don't have to be circuit design engineer to help push progress forward can i hold the chip? become an agent of innovation with invesco qqq
5:46 am
when subway® opened they changed the fast food game. but sometimes you gotta refresh ...to be fresh. welcome to the eat fresh refresh. refresh where there is so much new, some say that it can't fit in one ad. i say... ...we're talking a new all-american club, deli-style oven-roasted turkey and... oh, that's the new steak & cheese. oh yeah, i knew that. that's the one with the new... ...seasoning.
5:47 am
and that was the new mvp parmesan vinaigrette . right. which makes a next level foot... hold up. the subway logo? wait i'm out of time? the cuban government is cracking down on dissent. internet outages are hitting social media and messaging platforms just a day after the country saw unprecedented widespread protests. this is coming as president biden is expressing his support for the cuban people, and a warning to the cuban president. >> the united states stands firmly with the people of cuba as they assert their universal rights and we call on the government to attempt to silence "the the voices of the people of cuba. >> joining us to discuss this is jim accosta, correspondent and
5:48 am
anchor. his father fled in 1962, three weeks before the cuban missile chri crisis. we have a picture you posted to instagram. things have changed a lot in five years here. >> they really have. i will tell you, when my dad and i went to cuba in 2016, you know, he had not been back in 50 years, and we wanted to find some of his relatives. and, you know, there are lots of cuban-americans in this country. we all have different experiences. he wanted to go back. i know there are a lot of cuban-americans who say they would never go back. he wanted to go back. we went back. we ran into some relatives they hadn't seen in half a century. they recognized him right away despite the fact he was a viejo, an old man. i can say that. the tears were heart felt at the reunion. my dad said, jimmy, this island hadn't changed in 50 years. one of the things we took away
5:49 am
from the experience was the extreme poverty that is just prevalent across the island, across the havana area that we spent time in when we were there in 2016. and much of it is because of the u.s. policy that's been in place since the cold war, this trade embargo that's been in place for decades. obviously there is good reason for it. you know, the cuban regime has been repressive for decades. they don't allow people to protest or have freedom of speech, freedom of the press. pressed with castro during the trip in 2016. we asked about jailing political prisoners. he took the headphones off the ears. he couldn't believe i was asking such a question. brianna, there is just no doubt that something has to change in this policy, this relationship between the united states and cuba because the cuban people are suffering, and that's why i think we saw them out on the streets over the weekend. they're suffering from an economy that is in ruins, and they don't have the kind of democratic freedoms we have.
5:50 am
so, of course, they're at their wit's end. they're not afraid any more as they were saying in the streets over the weekend. >> you have the cuban president urging the government to physically confront protesters who have a lot of grievances that make sense. covid rates are high. poverty has been exacerbated. they can't get medicine. but they're facing physical threat, and they're also facing this telecommunications kind of knock down by the government. they have total control over it. how do you think that is going to affect the situation? >> well, i will tell you, when i was there in 2016 covering obama's trip when he opened up diplomatic relation with the country, trump reversed that, one of obama's policies he reversed when he was in office. there were wi-fi hot spots in havana. they had cell phones. they could skype with relatives in miami. this back and forth, this communication was going on that cubans had not ever really experienced. so it doesn't surprise me that much of what we saw over the
5:51 am
weekend was fueled by this openness on social media that the cuban government really, let's be honest about this, has allowed to take place. the question becomes what happens next. i will tell you, brianna, obviously there is not going to be much of an appetite now to loosen some of these restrictions on the island or change the policy on that island. but one of the things that has to be considered is you cannot -- and we saw a sneak preview of this over the weekend. you cannot have an island of 11 million starving cubans explode into some kind of violent revolution. you think we've had a border crisis, migrant crisis at the border. we've had cuban migration crises over our history as we know. you could see a massive migration crisis, and that is something the biden administration is going to have to deal with. they've said, you know this, brianna, jen psaki, the white house press secretary said cuba is not a priority for joe biden. it probably needs to become one based on what we saw over the weekend. >> might make itself a priority. we'll see. jimmy ki
5:52 am
jim accosta, thank you so much. we can see your program weekday afternoons. sorry, weekend afternoons. >> take your time. >> i have to let them know when to watch jim. >> i'm right with you. still ahead, texas democratic lawmakers fleeing the state to try to block the gop's restrictive voting laws. and next, every case, every investigation, every judge's ruling. your definitive guide to debunking the big lie straight ahead. ♪ ♪ we made usaa insurance for veterans like martin. when a hailstorm hit, he needed his insurance to get it done right, right away. usaa. what you're made of, we're made for. usaa
5:53 am
5:54 am
5:55 am
president biden set to give what the white house is billing as a major speech today directly attacking the big lie that the election was stolen from donald trump. it wasn't. and it should be an easy case to make seeing he has investigation after investigation into the alleged voter fraud has turned up nothing. john avalon with a reality check.
5:56 am
>> you can't credibly be a patriot trying to overturn an election with no evidence. but we have been living with the most sustained attack since the civil war. democracy itself is under assault. that's the subject of a major speech about voting rights from president biden later today. the big lie keeps getting repeated. that's why i want to recap the results of all the hunts to find actual voter fraud to date. think about it as a definitive guide to debunking the big lie. first, remember trump's legal team lost nearly 60 cases in court, many at the hands of trump-appointed judges. that's a blowout, foeksz. in the six months since the capital attack, there have been extensive efforts by republicans in at least eight states to back up trump's baseless claims. and they have come up with nothing. nada, ningun. state senators convened a
5:57 am
special committee and after 28 hours of hearings, they found the only real fraud had been the claims of mass voter fraud. in fact, they recommended that the democratic a.g. investigate those folks who had been pushing the election lies. when trump demanded a recount, it resulted in a gain of 87 votes for joe biden. when election officials dug into the results deeper, they found 13 possible cases of voter fraud out of nearly 3.3 million votes cast. in new hampshire auditors found no widespread fraud. same in nevada after an investigation by the republican secretary of state. in georgia, republican secretary of state brad was censured to find 11,000 votes. an audit confirmed the election results. in texas, indicted republican a.g. ken paxton had a special team. spent 22,000 hours searching for voter fraud.
5:58 am
and after all that time and taxpayer money, they found 16 minor cases out of 11 million ballots cast. that $1 million reward from texas governor patrick which he offered for evidence of voter fraud still hasn't been paid out despite pennsylvania's lieutenant governor pushing for payment in exchange for his state's three documented cases of voter fraud which were all from republicans. that hasn't stopped some keystone state republicans from trying to keep false claims alive even after the audits showed the results were accurate. they're one of five states trying to follow the arizona fraud-it being announced by local republicans as a grift disguised as an audit and insane lies. it's even more absurd because the audits were done in arizona and found no fraud. so take a step back. look at the results of these audits and recounts and republican-led investigations in eight states. and you'll see there is just no actual evidence of mass voter
5:59 am
fraud. there is only the desperate attempt to keep doubt alive, to please donald trump at the expense of our democracy. and if you're still not solved, remember how fast fox news and newsmax backtracked when threatened with lawsuits. bill barr thought trump's claims were -- and look at the top lawyer describing trump's legal team as a joke. that was getting them, quote, laughed out of court because of wishful thinking. if you believe their claims, i'm sorry to say the joke's on you. of course, the real insult is to our democracy. that's a causal real patriots should rush to defend. and that's your reality check. >> john, let me ask you, we've had a number of authors on today about this period. the friday after election day there was not a single white house aide or trump campaign official or pollster who
6:00 am
believed the vote count could reasonably or effectively be challenged. they knew it was b.s. all along. >> so all the trump supporters who have still been duped need to face the fact they have been lied to by the trump administration. >> john avalon, thank you very much. >> thank you. >> wonderful reality check there. cnn's coverage continues right now. ♪ ♪ very good tuesday morning to you. i'm jim sciutto. >> good morning, everyone. i'm poppy harlow. overnight a texas standoff over voting rights has made it to washington this morning. at least 50 texas house democrats have left the state in a dramatic effort to block new voting restrictions being pushed through the legislature by republicans. their kpexodus is part of an effort to break quorum. when texas reconvenes less than two hours from now, instead of taking part in this special legislative session in texas, they're in the

158 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on