Skip to main content

tv   Cuomo Prime Time  CNN  July 9, 2021 6:00pm-7:00pm PDT

6:00 pm
soldiers. their mission? to float and then defend huge hydrogen-filled balloons from the beaches of normandy to protect american troops from air assaults. his wife said his optimism had served him well over the years. among the many honors he's received, it was the prestigious french legion of honor. henry died on july 4th. he was 99 years old. we wish his family the best, and we thank him and them for their service. the news continues. want to hand it over to chris for "cuomo prime time." chris. >> well said, anderson. i am chris cuomo and welcome to prime time. the trump electeds in congress say they accept the election results. but listen to what is passing for conservative think at cpac. >> that here, in texas, we stand with president trump. and in 2024, trumpism will rise, again. >> god bless you, president trump.
6:01 pm
the republican party, under great leaders, like president trump, is being reborn for another, beautiful day in america, across this country. >> president trump is, still, fighting for because we believe that it should be easy to vote and hard to cheat. >> what was donald trump right about? everything! >> listen. it's okay to hug donald john trump as tightly he as he hugged the american flag at cpac's past to show how much he loves the country. but the question and the concern is the other stuff. what are they trying to prove? are they aware that pushing this same brand of sickness led to this? january 6th? that's why these people were so incensed. they believe the lies that the election had been stolen. now, here's a new look at those that trump told he loved after they attacked the capitol.
6:02 pm
the justice department released this police body-cam video, today, that shows officers trying to save a pro-trump rioter, who was trampled. and then, what happens to them? they get attacked, dragged down stairs, hit with crutches, flagpoles, batons. is this what conservatives want to be about? today, the doj said trump's big lie and reinstatement fantasy talk could fuel more violence. and yet, at cpac, the theme, which is america uncanceled, raises a question. is it really about cancelling the truth? seminars on how to collect evidence of fraud? what fraud? here's another spare the fraud, spoil the child. cpac. the conservative political action conference. is it really, now, about pushing the big lie? let's bring in the organizer, matt schlapp, good to have him
6:03 pm
on prim"prime time." good to see you. >> good to see you, chris. >> so, matt, we have talked about this, before. but i didn't expect it to be this big. at cpac. what is the thinking on going so strong at the idea that the election was a fraud? i mean, not even your own elected officials in congress agree with you. >> well, chris, i think it's very clear. that, in the states i was in after the election, including the state of nevada and the state of georgia, they did not check the signatures on mailed-in ballots. contrary to the law. and that should never happen in this country, again. matter of fact, they saw some wrongdoing in new york city, in their elections, as well. and there's fraud in every election, since the beginning of time, including in america. and we ought to, all, agree, democrats and republicans, that nobody should vote who's not legally allowed to vote. and unfortunately, in the last presidential election, because they didn't check those
6:04 pm
signatures, we had massive amounts of fraud. these are facts. and they're undisputable. >> no, it is not a fact that there were large amounts of fraud. ya had me, right up until there. >> did they check -- did they check the signatures? did they check? but let me just push back on this. did they check the signatures on mailed-in ballots in georgia which the secretary of state said he would not check and verify those signatures and did they check the signatures in clark county, the largest county in nevada. did they check them? they did not. >> your burden is saying -- hold on. here's how you are wrong. and i -- i think you know this. my real question is -- is going to come, next, which is why you're doing this. but just to engage in this, little bit for a second. >> why am i on your show? because you asked me. i'm happy to be on. >> appreciate it. i invited you because you're very relevant on the right side of the aisle. cpac used to be the place where you would see where the head and the heart of the party were and
6:05 pm
i just can't believe they are going to be wrapped around a lie. to say there was fraud doesn't mean, even if you are right, okay, on your own assertion, you didn't check all the boxes of what you were supposed to do. i'm not saying you're right and no court has said you are right. and all of the suggestions that you would prove this over time have never been met. but even if that's the case, that's not fraud. and it doesn't mean that the election was stolen. and yet, you have people at cpac chanting trump won. the election was rigged. do you really believe that? that trump won? >> i believe that, what we should do in america is follow the rules on voting. and what the secretary of state did in the state of georgia and he is a republican, not my kind of republican. but he signed an illegal consent decree to not check and verify the signatures of people who voted by the mail as you know because of the coronavirus. we had historic levels of mailed-in voting. >> but you don't know -- >> yes, i do. because now, you are using the word fraud.
6:06 pm
>> no, you are using the word fraud. and cpac is using the word fraud. not me. i am using the word you're using. >> i'm speaking. i'm speaking. why don't you let me use words? what i am trying to tell you is that, if you don't verify the signatures on mailed-in ballots, especially, when you had, in some cases, double the number of mailed-in ballots, you are inviting fraud. and those ballots could be illegal votes. and that's why we verify voting in this country. when democrats run against democrats, most recently in the city of new york city, they realized that they should verify each ballot. they found a lot of illegal ballots. >> the republicans who ran the election in georgia say they did it the right way. it was reviewed by courts. and it was -- >> chris, you're wrong. >> of course, i'm not wrong. you just don't like how it went. hold on. again, matt. >> let me get you -- let me -- i will agree that the republicans
6:07 pm
in georgia skroucrewed up and t did a bad job with the election. >> that's not what i am suggesting. i'm suggesting that they ran the election and they certified it. >> should we follow the law in voting? >> of course, everybody should follow the law. >> assiduously. then, why -- >> so here is my big question. >> i have all the proof you need. ask me any question you want. i have all the proof i need. ask me the questions. >> i'm sure you have good answers. i just don't think you have proof. they're not facts. facts are things that are established. i'm not sugarcoating anything. >> did they check the votes? did they check the signatures on the mailed-in ballots in clark county and in georgia? yes or no? >> they followed the procedures according to law. every one of 'em said it and it was reviewed by a court. and they found that it was viable. >> i am going to say this over and over, again. >> i know but i'm not going to let you because here is why. >> according to even a democrat-run state, you had to check the signatures. >> look, matt, what i am saying is you are using that argument.
6:08 pm
>> in clark county, they did not. why? why can't you acknowledge the fact that they didn't check the signatures? >> matt, here's why. i don't understand -- >> yes, sir. >> -- why you are banking your conservative platform on this. you really believe that the way to win the midterms and, maybe, the next presidency is by trying to create misgivings about the democracy? >> no. no. i'm not. i'm just answering your questions, chris. now, let me -- no, you asked all the questions. now, let's stop. what is cpac about this year? it's about uncanceling america. it's about opening up schools. it's about opening up churches. it's about telling the federal government you don't have the right to intervene on these questions. it is on social media, conservative voices should be accepted just as liberal voices are accepted. we have a national media that distreats conservatives with disdain but social-media platforms that had this idea that all of us would have a voice. we should have that voice.
6:09 pm
>> you don't have a voice on social media? >> you can talk about this election. chris, you can talk act this ele about this election, all you want. and you are on unsolid ground. >> you don't have a single decision. you don't have a single-state official on your side and they're from your party. look. let's put that to the side. >> you're so wrong. >> just put it to the side. do yourself a favor. what i am saying is -- >> you are so wrong. you have not won on one substantive case. give me a substantive -- >> you never get to substance. you never get to a substantive case because you never -- hold on, matt -- you guys never got -- you guys never -- you guys never -- hold on a second. i'm sorry. get out of my ear. you guys never get to the point of having any type of judge get to review it because there is never the basis for a claim. >> that's not right. >> upon which they can make a determination.
6:10 pm
and you guys have used this to your advantage. but my question is bigger than this. it's much bigger than this. >> did you read justice alito and what he said? >> i know why you want to combine the two because he is trying to be like scalia, even though he's alito. >> i love him. there is nothing wrong with being italian. >> what i am saying is this -- >> chris, chris, let me talk just for a minute because it's your show. >> you have been talking a lot, matt, to be honest. but go ahead. >> well, that's what being a guest is. you get to talk. >> it's a conversation. two people talk in a conversation. go ahead. >> fair enough. and i respect the fact that you have me on but my point to you is the following, which is don't act like there is not a legitimate claim when you have an election that's one we've never had before with all these mailed-in ballots. don't act like it's outrageous for republicans and conservatives and people who like trump to be un -- be really -- question this case of why didn't we vote the same way
6:11 pm
we voted in 2016 where everyone who voted by mail, you had to verify that you were a legal voter. in 2020, we simply didn't do that in these cities. but do you agree we should do that? >> of course, you should follow the rules. what i am saying is you are creating a boogieman. you know and i know that georgia looked at 10,000 ballots. they found ten signatures that didn't match. and then, they, later, found out that they were okay. the facts aren't in your favor. what i don't get is -- >> that's not true. chris, you're not right. chris. chris, stop. >> why are you making cpac about the big lie and not all the other things you could argue? >> cpac. the title and the theme of cpac is america uncanceled. >> but what are you cancelling? the truth? >> it's a nice, little sleight. now, let me talk. the whole idea with cpac is this idea that the federal government came in and said, because of the pandemic, that we couldn't have churches open. we couldn't have schools open.
6:12 pm
there -- half this country is outraged over the fact that our kids have fallen behind because the federal government said you couldn't open up. then, on social media, all of us get cancelled. you don't get cancelled. the rest of us get cancelled, all the time. >> you know it was state by state, right? >> on what? >> each of these governors made their own determinations, right? why are you making the government a boogieman? why are you attacking institutions? i thought you guys were about bolstering the institutions. >> why am i attacking the federal government, which told kids -- >> they didn't tell anybody anything. they should have told kids. the president at the time from your party said let the states do it. you'll get no oversight. you'll get no guidance. >> which made it -- which made it sound like it would be unhealthy and unsafe for kids to go to school. which, actually, said that it was -- it was -- it would make people sick to go to church. where the governor, republican governor of maryland, said it
6:13 pm
would be a superspreader, if we had a cpac in maryland so you know what we did? we went to florida. and we went to texas. this nation is very divided. >> superspreader events. they still do. you just had a camp where the kids went to camp and they had 125 cases after it. it's not anti-religion. >> but you are advocating for an abridgement of the first amendment because you were scared about a virus. we have the right to make those choices. >> it was state by state, matt. it was state by state. it was state by state. >> no state can abridge -- no state can abridge my first-amendment rights. >> but why are you saying the federal government? it was state by state. but why are you saying the federal government? they have nothing to do with it. >> chris, it doesn't matter the level of government. your constitutional rights. >> made the same determinations. >> let me explain this to you, one more time. >> sure. >> you don't feel cancelled because you never are. we feel cancelled because we constantly are. now, you've -- you've broken the model because you've had me on cnn. people like me don't get on cnn,
6:14 pm
anymore. >> matt, you're always welcome here to make the case because i want to understand. >> no, that's not true. it's not true. i'm not welcome at cnn and you know that. >> where are you right now? what do you think cnn is? you are on cnn right now, brother. >> i am trying to give you a compliment. you are the only one who will have me on. >> don't do that. >> periodically. >> listen, matt, i got to jump. you are always welcome to make the case. you are always -- i am always going to welcome you to make the case. >> but you are never cancelled. have you ever been cancelled in your whole life on social media or national media? have you ever been cancelled? >> yes, i have. matt, i have people coming after me, from the left and the right, 24/7. it is a dog-eat-dog world and i have milk bone underwear on. but listen, you are always welcome to make the case. >> i don't know what that means. >> it's from "cheers." norm said it. look it up. you will like it and you will use if. matt schlapp, thank you for making the case. >> if i said that, i would have gotten cancelled. okay, thank you. >> if you quoted anything correctly, i'd give you credit.
6:15 pm
i will tell you that right now. i will talk to you later. >> that's not too nice. bye-bye. >> i will see you next time. look. i believe in the conversation. i know some of you are going to be unsatisfied. in fact, i know a lot of you will. but i tell you what. your biggest mistake is that you don't listen. you have conversations. you can talk over each other. you can do that but keep the talk going. because conservatives matter, in this country. i don't know what they're becoming. i don't get this big-lie thing. that's why i had him on. conservatives are better than that. we'll continue the talk. and it really is a quote from "cheers." you can look it up. so a maga mindset. what does this mean? all right. now, i want to bring in somebody, who is a mentor to me, in terms of the mentality as a broadcaster. all right? a student of the world. somebody who understands the dynamics that have shaped us, for decades. and who is, also, going to help us understand what's going to happen when we get to the olympics this year. bob costas, what a treat. next. there's an america we build
6:16 pm
and one we explore. one that's been paved and one that's forever wild. but freedom means you don't have to choose just one adventure. you get both. introducing the wildly civilized all-new 3-row jeep grand cherokee l (gong rings) - this is joe. (combative yelling) he used to have bad breath. now, he uses a capful of therabreath fresh breath oral rinse to keep his breath smelling great, all day long. (combative yelling) therabreath, it's a better mouthwash. at walmart, target and other fine stores.
6:17 pm
open talenti and raise the jar. to gelato made from scratch. raise the jar to all five layers. raise the jar to the best gelato... you've ever tasted. talenti. raise the jar. - that moment you walk in the office and people are wearing the same gear, you feel a sense of connectedness and belonging right away.
6:18 pm
and our shirts from custom ink help bring us together. - [narrator] custom ink has hundreds of products to help you feel connected. upload your logo or start your design today at customink.com ♪ ♪ water? urgh! (rocket ship) hey! hey! heads up. thank you! water tastes like, water. so we fixed it. mio
6:19 pm
6:20 pm
look. you know, you can feel any way you want. i fixed the ifb. about oh, don't have those people on. i don't agree. i don't know what to tell you. i don't agree. you have to disagree with decency. you have to have the conversations. all right? cpac matters. all right? conservatives matter. now, this year, i don't get it. i don't get embracing the big lie, this way. conservatism could be about so much more. but it's all about trump. and not just trump. it's about the deception that trump just explained to you as disinformation. so, what does this mean about the direction of the country? we are going to get a great twofer tonight from the legendary bob costas. thank you for being in my life. we'll talk the political sport and then we'll talk about olympics. now, you heard the matt schlapp interview. >> i did. >> he knows that he doesn't have proof of what he suggests. >> he is personable and civil and just as full of it, as any
6:21 pm
maga cultist when it comes to bh what he is telling you. >> now, look, we both grew up watching these things. the conservatives have had very established platforms about high principle and what they want. for them to be reduced to just the big lie. and cancel culture, i'll give 'em. you know what i mean? they can -- they can campaign on that. >> yeah. >> but on -- and there was fraud and there was fraud. what does that mean to you? >> either -- either, you have cultists, who really believe, despite all the evidence, that donald trump is the answer. or you have people cynical enough to say, look, our base is devoted to him. so, our political future lies in aligning ourselves with that, as much as we possibly can. and if we won't go full throated, like some of the most extreme members of congress or people that are out there in maga media. if we won't go full throated, then we will try to just slide past some of the stuff that we can't really rationalize and
6:22 pm
change the subject to something else. the halast time i was on with y, i made this point and i don't think i'm alone in this. i think millions upon millions of moderates and people who think of themselves as left of center feel the same way. woke-ism and leftism are not the same thing as classic liberalism. they need to be called to account. they need to be opposed, even if some of it is what we might agree with. they need a thoughtful opposition. maga world is not -- it's many things. it ain't thoughtful. >> it does feel broken, doesn't it? i mean, we use it everything's broken. but having this system where opposition is enough. look. nobody understands sport better than you. >> right. >> you will never find another competition where it's enough for you to win, as if i lose. you know, you're -- >> it's all zero sum. >> that's right. and that's what a two-party system gets you. which is if opposition is enough. opposition is now a saleable position. that is what they are trying to
6:23 pm
approximate with the big lie. we are against what happened in the election. we're against how it's done. the question is where does this get us? >> i don't think it gets us anyplace good. look. leave aside. let's accept the absurdity that whatever the flaws of the mainstream media are. whatever the flaws in omissions of cnn might be. leave aside the notion that every single journalist, who is not right of center, is either corrupt or just spectacularly wrong. and just leave it to what trump showed us, himself. with his tweets. with his actions. with his biography, prior to entering politics. and how do you explain away? maybe, you could have one or two disgruntled-former employees. somebody trying to sell a book. of all the presidents in my lifetime, you don't have as many people who worked closely with that president, as have worked closely with trump, and then have said how oblivious he is to facts.
6:24 pm
how unfit he is, temperamentally and -- and morally to be the president of the united states. how do you account for that? that's not chris cuomo or don lemon saying that. how do you account for the people that you used to find at cpac? how do you account for george will and brett stevens and s.e. cup and kathleen parker? how do you account for those solid conservatives and republicans, who saw through this from the beginning? >> you know what their answer is. their answer is everyone you just mentioned. >> they are a rhino. >> they are all part of the machine. elitist d.c. muckity-mucks. they don't won't an insurgent like trump. now, look, i'm good with all of that. honestly, i think that it is a debatable issue. it's an argument to have. >> uh-huh. >> um, they just picked the wrong change agent. >> that's right. >> and i think that's why it had to get worse because they were never going to be able to bank on him as being better. so what they had to do was, now,
6:25 pm
argue that everything is even worse than they thought. and that's what the big lie is. >> well, look. they are devoted to him. hopelessly, devoted. as an old-song lyric went. and yet, what is his level of devotion to anyone who is not 1 100% loyal to him? exhibit a, mike pence. they call themselves patriots. we're true-american patriots. who tried to overthrow the election. who tried and it's on tape. the phone call to election officials in georgia. everywhere. all these things that are preposterous, on their face. and yet, if you are a member of a cult, you're down the line with that cult. what could be more patriotic than anybody, democrat, republican, independent, encouraging everyone to get vaccinated? it's not a coincidence that the top-20 states, in terms of percentage of citizens vaccinated, are all blue. not because democrats are
6:26 pm
morally better or more intelligent than republicans but because of the atmosphere that are you are talking about. and the top-20 states with the smallest percentage of citizens vaccinated are all red. they all voted for trump. trump will barge into somebody's wedding at mar-a-lago, and go through his insane obsessions about how he's been mistreated. and the election was stolen. but think of the good that donald trump could do, if he asked for and he received, from every network, ten minutes, half-an-hour, of television time and said, no matter where you are on the spectrum, please, get vaccinated. it's the best thing to do, for yourself, for your family, and for your country. that would be the best thing donald trump ever did, in his public life. why won't he do it? because he doesn't feel there's any benefit in it, for him. >> good point. we'll see if he decides to answer it. sometimes, he does, in real-time. not on twitter, anymore. >> you know what's going to be on twitter about me? stick to sports. >> no way. >> but you asked me. >> no way. look.
6:27 pm
it is a good segue though because one of the things that used to bring this country together so much was when we get to the olympics. the headline, you are not going to have people there. people like cpac are going to argue that's about government trying to ruin our good time and there is other controversy there about testing. i want your take on it, brother. thank you for being with us. we will take a quick break. we'll come back with bob costas. let's talk about what the olympics is going to be like, this year. is it better? or worse? next.
6:28 pm
oh! don't burn down the duplex. terminix. so, you have diabetes, here are some easy rules. no sugar. no pizza. no foods you love. stressed? no stress. exercise. but no days off! easy, no? no. no. no. no. but with freestyle libre 14 day, you can take the mystery out of your diabetes. now you know. sir, do you know what you want to order? yes. freestyle libre 14 day. try it for free.
6:29 pm
6:30 pm
look...if your wireless carrier was a guy, you'd leave him tomorrow. not very flexible. not great at saving. you deserve better - xfinity mobile. now, they have unlimited for just $30 a month. $30 dollars. and they're number 1 in customer satisfaction. his number? delete it. deleting it. so break free from the big three. xfinity internet customers, take the savings challenge
6:31 pm
at xfinitymobile.com/mysavings or visit an xfinity store to learn how our switch squad makes it easy to switch and save hundreds. all right. here is the latest on the olympic front. okay? the leaders for usada. that's the united states anti-doping agency. they are responding to critics who blame them for sha'carri richardson's ban from the tokyo olympics. aoc and jamie raskin, two democrats, they called on the agency to reconsider richardson's suspension last
6:32 pm
week. they responded from a letter quoting from it here. usada does not make or have direct vote on the anti-doping rules but as a wada code signatory, we are required to enforce them. that's called ducking the situation. bob costas back, again. again, thank you for being with us. i don't know when i am going to see you again. so that's a hedge. >> well -- >> they have to enforce the rules. it still takes you to the rules and whether or not it's correctly applied here. >> i think they could speak out, more forcefully. they did say that they -- they think it should be reviewed but they should speak out, more forcefully, about how unfair and officious this rule is. but they are right in that they can't overturn the rules that apply to the olympics. >> so who can? >> wada rules apply. >> so wada and ioc would have to do it but the united states hasn't gotten upset about this. and in fact, they then took her off the whole team. she can't even be on for the relays, now. >> this is what's interesting. she is suspended for a month.
6:33 pm
but the 4-by-100 relay is one of the last events of the olympics. doesn't take place until august 9th. that suspension would be over. it would keep her from running her signature event. the 100 meters. but in theory, she could run on the 4-by-100 team. but technically, she didn't qualify because her time, her winning time at the trials was discounted because she tested positive for weed. now, the way to look at this, i think, in an enlightened way, is this. let's say i -- i'm a baseball player and i bump an umpire. it's -- maybe it's a five-game suspension in the mind of the commissioner but it's on the eve of the playoffs or the world series. very often, in a situation like that, it's so it will be served during the regular season. because if it's the playoffs or world series, the effect is disproportionate. the ioc and wada, themselves, make it clear this is a misdemeanor. it's only worth a month. justin gatlin got four years and
6:34 pm
missed the beijing olympics, america's top sprinter, because he tested positive for performance enhancer. christian coleman is now sitting out two years not because he tested positive but because he avoided tests, three times, and they consider that circumstantial evidence. those are serious offenses and it cost them olympic appearances. so if this thing had happened in march, she's back running in april. it -- it just doesn't blend any kind of common sense with the technical rule. you're a lawyer. suppose you were arguing your case and the guy is charged with a misdemeanor. the judge is gonna sentence him to three years. i'm sorry, three months. seems like a fair sentence. but he says, you know what? my daughter's getting married, in two weeks. the judge postpones the sentence. it's the right thing to do. the guy's not gonna run out and shoot somebody. you look at the case for what it's worth. sha'carri richardson should be allowed to take part in the olympics. and then, the penalty should be served subsequently.
6:35 pm
>> is there any chance it gets reviewed or changed? and who would have to do it? >> the ioc and wada would have to do it. i don't see it happening. >> them making the decision not to have fans. they have all these athletes now putting out on social media it sucks i'm not going to have my family there or my friends. is this the right call? >> you have to say with such a small percentage of japanese citizens vaccinated and states of emergency throughout the country. and what their health experts are saying and political figures there are saying. it is the right move. i mean, this whole thing is looming as a disaster. every olympics has cost overruns. they are in the billions and billions and covid is only making it worse. and they can't recoup much of it because there's no tourism. there is no fan. and -- and paying spectators. >> change it in a way that will make it like so much less than it would have been, otherwise? >> yeah, atmospherics are part of sports. think of even the nba, in the bubble. watched the games. some of them were very good games but they didn't have the atmosphere that you expect.
6:36 pm
the olympics are -- are about so much more than the competition. which is central but it's not the only thing. the atmosphere. the emotion. family and friends. the reaction of spectators and countrymen. all of that will be missing. i know that my friends and colleagues at nbc will do a great job. and they've, already, made plans. they're going to have cameras and microphones in the homes of some of the american athletes expected to do well. they will make the best of the situation. ambient sound. coaches and peripheral people micced up. but you just can't make something into what it's not and everybody watching will know that there is a paul over these games because the way in which they are being held. so that diminishes the good feeling that we usually associate with an olympics. i said to you when i was on, previously, that the ideal would be to postpone it until 2022 when, hopefully, circumstances would be better. that would be ideal. but there are other reasons why they had to go ahead. there are contracts that have, already, been pushed back a
6:37 pm
year. the olympic village will be repurposed for housing or commercial real estate. the venues for concerts and for other-sporting events. the world cup is next summer. and to much of the world, that's a greater interest than the olympics. and the world's track and field championships are in oregon, at about the same time as the rescheduled olympics would be next summer. and it's not like you're missing some peripheral sport. track and field is one of the signature events of the summer olympics. ing about athletes don't get paid directly to take part in the olympics. they do at the world track and field championships. so there were mitigating circumstances. >> i have never seen anybody, undercut their own suggestion as well as you just did. you said we should do it in 2022. >> i said that was the ideal. i was just -- i was trying to give them their due. >> and you did. bob costas, you are a gift to the audience. thank you for the brain food. i appreciate you. >> four handshakes. >> hey, i will take it. >> it's more handshakes than i got in a year during covid. >> i know. i am trying to get them all back
6:38 pm
in now. thank you very much, brother. so the booster shot thing. look. i told you last night, right, that what was pfizer saying? now, everybody's saying it's a debate. there is no debate. but it is confusing. but this is the bigger question. don't be distracted. if the vaccines work so well. if the data is so overwhelming, why aren't they approved by the fda? think about what that would do for a certain number, a significant number of people who say emergency use, not for me. and i am certainly not going to let my kids take it. why not remove doubt about safety, if you can? a top doctor in the house, next. this may look like a regular movie night. but if you're a kid with diabetes, it's more. it's the simple act of enjoying time with friends, knowing you understand your glucose levels. ♪ ♪ - water?! - hey you! catch!
6:39 pm
mio. thank you! water tastes like, well...water. so we fixed it. mio. only 6% of us retail businesses have a black owner. that needs to change. so, i did something. i created a black business accelerator at amazon. and now we have a program that's dedicated to making tomorrow a better day for black businesses. ♪ ♪
6:40 pm
i am tiffany. and this is just the beginning. ♪ ♪ this isn't just a walk up the stairs. when you have an irregular heartbeat, it's more.
6:41 pm
it's dignity. the freedom to go where you want, knowing your doctor can watch over your heart. ♪
6:42 pm
booster shots. pfizer says, yes, we're going to need them. the -- you know, fda, the cdc, they say no. they issued a rare-joint statement. americans who have been fully vaccinated do not need a booster shot, at this time. but, an infection -- an infectious-disease expert, who led the clinical trial for pfizer's covid vaccine, says immunity may weaken.
6:43 pm
>> it is not unusual for immune responses, after vaccination, to wane over time. what is the crucial point, though, and which we don't know the answer to, right now, is even though that immunity wanes, over time. does it remain above a level, which we need to protect people? >> now, just to be clear. that has always been the calculus or the consideration, depending on how you want to look at it. they've always known that the vaccine will wear off. a lot? just a little bit? they don't know. that has always been that way, since the beginning. now, why do we care so much? the delta variant. how troubling is it, that we have experts that are worlds apart on this potential need for a vaccine when you have this variant coming? and it is here and it's making a difference, already. let's discuss, and get deeper
6:44 pm
with dr. ashish jha. it's good to have you. >> thanks for having me back, chris. >> boosters. i think we can dispense with this very -- fairly quickly. give me your take on what the rea re reality and what it has always been. has anything changed? >> nothing changed, chris. the bottom line is we got to follow the evidence. the evidence says two shots work. i have seen nothing that says people need a third shot. until that time, that we see the data, got to stay with the two shot. nothing has changed. >> vaccines do wane over time, yes? >> they do. they do. but, you know, there are vaccines that are longlived. they may wane a little over time but five, ten years later, they are still protecting people. lot of vaccines out there like that. we don't know if this will be one of them but it might be. >> how confident are you in the data about these vaccines? >> well, i'm superconfident that these vaccines are incredibly protective. again, including against the delta variant. and they are very, very safe. and the best way i can prove that i'm confident, not only am i vaccinated, my kids are. my teenaged daughters are
6:45 pm
vaccinated. my wife is vaccinated. everybody in my family is vaccinated. >> then, why hasn't the fda approved it? >> well, you know, look. this is a good question. i've been kind of beating up on the fda a little bit. they're doing a thorough job. i get it. it takes a while. but i don't want them to cut corners and i don't think they are going to. i think the data here is overwhelming and it's clear and they have acknowledged as much but it takes them a while to go through all of it and kind of dot all the is and cross the ts and i wish they would move a little faster. >> it creates misgivings. and the administration is compounding the problem, by not speaking about the process. am i right? or am i wrong? >> yeah. the problem -- the one thing that the white house is trying to be careful of is not looking like they are meddling in the fda's business and i appreciate that, by the way, because we've seen that happen, before, in other white houses. and that's not a good outcome. so the white house is trying to stay away from this and let the fda do its thing. and the fda is moving but i want them to move faster. >> yeah. it's unsatisfying, though,
6:46 pm
doctor. thi politics is winning over practicality. but one of the real obstacles i'm sure you hear about all the time is it is only emergency-use authorization. like, if brown university came to you and said we are going to mandate this. they would get pushback from families because it hasn't been approved, yet. that is a big variable, that we can control. and i get that you want it done right but if the data is so overwhelming, what's taking so long? >> yeah. well, i will say the following, chris. so brown university did mandate it for everybody and a lot of people said, whoa, can we do that without full approval? and the answer is we can and we have and lots of other people are, too. so companies that are waiting for that, you don't have to. you can do it now. but yeah, i agree with you. full approval is going to help a lot. >> yeah. it makes it hard. i mean, it's easier to do it when you got ashish jha, you know, in your house. it makes it easier to have comfort on the vaccine but not everybody has that. doctor, i appreciate ya and thank you. >> thank you, chris. >> you know, if you want to get
6:47 pm
away from this. really, get away from everything. there's so many different viruses, right? you got covid. you got the politics. you got everything going on. how about just blasting off to space? when you are a multibillionaire, like richard branson, you can. you can hitch a ride on your own rocket. less than 48 hours from now, that's exactly what he's going to do. what is a former-top astronaut make of the launch? next. hearing is important to living life to the fullest. that's why inside every miracle-ear store, you'll find better bedtime stories. you'll find a better life is in store at miracle-ear, when you experience the exclusive miracle-ear advantage. it starts with our free hearing assessment. plus innovative products that fit your needs and budget. with free service and adjustments for life. we're so confident we can improve your life, we're offering a 30-day risk-free trial. call 1-800-miracle today and experience the miracle-ear advantage for yourself. trelegy for copd. ♪ birds flyin' high you know how i feel ♪ ♪ breeze drifting on by you know how i feel ♪ [man: coughing]
6:48 pm
♪ it's a new dawn, it's a new day... ♪ no matter how you got copd it's time to make a stand. ♪ ...and i'm feelin' good ♪ start a new day with trelegy. no once-daily copd medicine has the power to treat copd in as many ways as trelegy. with three medicines in one inhaler, trelegy helps people breathe easier and improves lung function. it also helps prevent future flare-ups. trelegy won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. do not take trelegy more than prescribed. trelegy may increase your risk of thrush, pneumonia, and osteoporosis. call your doctor if worsened breathing, chest pain, mouth or tongue swelling, problems urinating, vision changes, or eye pain occur. it's time to start a new day. ask your doctor about once-daily trelegy. and save at trelegy.com.
6:49 pm
liberty mutual customizes car insurance so you only pay for what you need. how much money can liberty mutual save you? one! two! three! four! five! 72,807! 72,808... dollars.
6:50 pm
yep... everything hurts. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ we're carvana, the company who invented car vending machines and buying a car 100% online. now we've created a brand-new way for you to sell your car. whether it's a year old or a few years old. we wanna buy your car. so go to carvana and enter your license plate answer a few questions. and our techno wizardry calculates your car's value and gives you a real offer in seconds. when you're ready, we'll come to you, pay you on the spot and pick up your car, that's it. so ditch the old way of selling your car, and say hello to the new way at carvana. you need an ecolab scientific clean here. and here. which is why the scientific expertise that helps operating rooms stay clean now helps the places you go too. look for the ecolab science certified seal.
6:51 pm
have you ever thought about going into space, richard? >> i'd love to go into space. i think pretty well everybody watching this show would love to go to space. when you see the magnificent pictures in space and incredible views and i think there could be nothing nicer. >> three decades since that moment and it is finally happening. richard branson is blasting off
6:52 pm
to the edge of space aboard virgin galactic's rocket powered plane sunday. if everything goes according to plan. the spacecraft vss unity will take off from an airplane runway attached beneath the wing of a massive mother ship. how does it work? it gets to about 50,000 feet. the mother ship will then release unity, the rocket engines fire up, send this craft up into space like the space shuttle used to work three times faster than the speed of sound. the trip would make branson the first billionaire ever to travel to space aboard a vehicle he helped fund. beaten bezos by just nine days. love it or hate it? why would you have a strong feeling either way? this is what is happening. commercializing space flight, good, bad? let's ask an astronaut, captain chris cassidy, retired chief nasa astronaut.
6:53 pm
good to have you, sir, and thank you for your service. >> thank you. glad to be with you tonight. >> what do you think, brother? billionaires blasting into space. >> everything about commercial space travel is exciting for people, which excites our nation and ultimately is good for the manned space program. i couldn't be more excited about it than i am. it all positive. >> what do you think about those who are criticizing it? all that money they should donate it to hunger or how come the rich get to go and nobody else? do you make about those complaints? >> those are valid arguments out of the year of covid when everyone is battling through financial troubles and getting back on step of where we were prior to that and there are things we can spend the money on to fix the broader issues as you elude to. i think that in some time in the future, ten years, 20 years, 50 years, space travel will be affordable for everyone. right now, it is not.
6:54 pm
it's expensive but we got to start somewhere and does it need to be right now? that's beyond my pay grade whether or not we spend government dollars to do that right now, but i think that now is a great time as any and just coming out of the government world myself, i think it's a great partnership this commercial and government space. >> here is my concern. safety. going to space is hard, chief. you know this. the god forbid risks. we've all watched them and you guys lived in fear of them. so many multiple redundancy and trading. can the private sector do it? do you have worries about this? >> everybody involved in manned space flight halz s worries of safety. it goes to every engineer and astronaut regardless of your country. i've flown in space with pretty much all of our international partners and taken to the same
6:55 pm
level of severity across the globe. do i think it can be achieved in the same commercial world? absolutely. it's bad to have a ka facatastr on a launch. neither company would be putting people on the rocket if they didn't think it was ready to be viewed olive on cnn. >> why do we need more attention on space? we touched on this from time to time there is something about the ambition and final frontier that seems that we've shied away from here on a national level. what does that mean to you? >> you know, i think people in general are explorers by our very nature. humankind. and in space it's just that. we're pushing the boundaries of knowledge and really, that's what space exploration is about. it creates jobs and economy ex there is trade offs on how you spend the money in any
6:56 pm
government budget process but that's the beauty of how now commercial space flight is coming into play where it really is exciting and it really does get. >> we can go to space. but i can't keep chris cassidy on a satellite freemdeed from al feed. captain chris cassidy, thank you so much. we'll be right back. rt isn't ju. protect it with bayer aspirin. be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen. ♪ it's grilled cheese time. ♪ ♪ yeah, it's time for grilled cheese. ♪ ♪ after we make grilled cheese, ♪ ♪ then we're eating grilled cheese. ♪ ♪ because it's time. ♪ ♪ yeah. ♪ ♪ time for grilled cheese. ♪ i'm morgan, and there's more to me than hiv.
6:57 pm
more love, more adventure, more community. but with my hiv treatment, there's not more medicines in my pill. i talked to my doctor and switched to fewer medicines with dovato. dovato is for some adults who are starting hiv-1 treatment or replacing their current hiv-1 regimen. with just 2 medicines in 1 pill, dovato is as effective as a 3-drug regimen... to help you reach and stay undetectable. research shows people who take hiv treatment as prescribed and get to and stay undetectable can no longer transmit hiv through sex. don't take dovato if you're allergic to its ingredients or if you take dofetilide. taking dovato with dofetilide can cause serious or life-threatening side effects. hepatitis b can become harder to treat while on dovato. don't stop dovato without talking to your doctor, as your hepatitis b may worsen or become life-threatening. serious or life-threatening side effects can occur, including allergic reactions, lactic acid buildup, and liver problems. if you have a rash and other symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop dovato and get medical help right away.
6:58 pm
tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver problems, or if you are, may be, or plan to be pregnant. dovato may harm your unborn baby. use effective birth control while on dovato. do not breastfeed while taking dovato. most common side effects are headache, nausea, diarrhea, trouble sleeping, tiredness, and anxiety. so much goes into who i am. hiv medicine is one part of it. ask your doctor about dovato-i did. ♪ so, you have diabetes, here are some easy rules. no sugar. no pizza. no foods you love. stressed? no stress. exercise. but no days off! easy, no? no. no. no. no. but with freestyle libre 14 day, you can take the mystery out of your diabetes. now you know. sir, do you know what you want to order? yes. freestyle libre 14 day. try it for free.
6:59 pm
delicia: this is where all our recycling is sorted -- 1.2 million pounds every day, helping to make san francisco the greenest big city in america. but that's not all you'll find here. there are hundreds of good-paying jobs, with most new workers hired from bayview-hunter's point. we don't just work at recology, we own it, creating opportunity and a better planet. now, that's making a difference.
7:00 pm
thank you for watching and giving us the opportunity. i wish you a good weekend but first, "don lemon tonight "with the upgrade of laura coats tonight. >> depending how you gauge it. >> you should be naturally under scored. >> you know what? that's what we'll name this outfit today. this is called the under score. i love it. i love it so much. happy weekend ahead to you. great show, as always. nice to see you. >> be well. >> this is

100 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on