Skip to main content

tv   Cuomo Prime Time  CNN  April 23, 2021 6:00pm-7:00pm PDT

6:00 pm
investigators then corroborated chapman's claims by comparing his profile picture to body camera footage from police officers who were inside the capitol. the news continues. let's hand it over to chris for "cuomo prime time." chris. >> problem with distinctive facial hair, anderson. >> i wouldn't know. >> me, either. >> i wish. >> have a good weekend, you and the boy. i am chris cuomo and welcome to prime time. tonight, we have new information and insight into a police shooting that is being handled in questionable fashion. why? because we learned something, this week. we know part of the answer for policing. whenever there is a questionable use of force, the contact must be recorded, with sound and picture. and those recordings must be released to the public, right away. how do we know? because the verdict heard round the world may never have happened, without the body-cam video. remember, the police, initially, described george floyd's death
6:01 pm
as a health incident. no mention of a knee. no mention of a neck. that's why, the refusal to release the tape of a police shooting in north carolina is disturbing. all we know is that a black man, who was said to be unarmed, was shot and killed, wednesday, by police in elizabeth city, during the service of search-and-arrest warrants. we do have new information. there is dispatch audio that gives us clues. and we have a witness, tonight, to the deadly shootout of 42-year-old andrew brown. now, clearly, it can't be there there is nothing to see here. listen to the dispatchers. >> ems has got one male, 42 years of age, gunshot to the back. >> we have a 42-year-old male with gunshot wounds to the back. >> gunshot wounds, to the back. why would an unarmed suspect be shot? let alone, from behind? all the police would say is
6:02 pm
that, you know, brown had a history of resisting arrest. if they think that arguably-irrelevant information is releasable. why not release the body cams? all of them. now, i say all of them because seven deputies have now been placed on administrative leave. seven. top of that, two others have resigned. one deputy retired, in the wake of this shooting. that's ten. so, the big question is, why no tapes, despite public outcry? despite the fact that the governor just demanded their release? according to state law in north carolina, there has to be a court order to get body-cam video released. and from what the sheriff said today, it is the district attorney who won't let the videos out. >> the sheriff's office is the custodian of the body-cam footage. but the body-cam footage not released by the district
6:03 pm
attorney, at this time, due to the investigation. he does not want it to hinder the investigation. there is absolutely nothing to hide. the video's not been released. we are waiting on the district attorney. >> nothing gives trust like transparency. how would it hinder the investigation to release the tapes? the victim is dead. the police, all, know what happened there. and they know what is on the body-camera video, because they were there. so, how would it hinder it? the body-cam videos of the daunte wright and ma'khia bryant shootings in minnesota and ohio were released, hours after they were killed. and that mattered. in north carolina, even members of brown's family say they weren't allowed to see the footage when they met with the sheriff, today. and yet, tonight, we will learn more. dimitria williams was a witness. she knew andrew brown. she was his neighbor, and she
6:04 pm
saw the police there and part of the action, and she joins us, now, on prime time. thank you for doing this. i appreciate it. >> you're welcome. >> so, this is the morning after the george-floyd verdict. am i right? >> yes. >> set the scene, for me. it's about, what, 8:00 or 8:30 in the morning? and what happens? >> it was about 8:40, when i heard a shot. and i woke up. and ran, proceeded to run down the street. and when i got close to his house, i seen officers standing behind his car. as andrew brown is trying to flee away, to leave the -- you know, leave the scene, and they're shooting. >> so, you knew it was andrew brown in the car because you know his car? >> yes. >> and he is driving away from
6:05 pm
the officers? >> yes. >> and they were actively firing at the car? >> yes. >> was anybody firing, back, at them? >> no. >> then, what happens? >> and as they started shooting, the car started going across the grass. and it proceeded and hit the tree. came to rest by the tree. well, by then, he was dead and he was slumped over when the officers opened the car door. and they snatched him out and started doing chest compressions on him. after that, i guess, they seen that they couldn't revive him or bring him back. he was already gone. and then, they put a sheet on him. then, i seen a few officers go come back across the street. and take the rammer and ram his door in. >> they went inside?
6:06 pm
>> yes. >> did they take things out of the house? because supposedly, they had arrest-and-search warrants. >> i didn't see anything. >> was there anybody else, who had a weapon that was firing at police? or was anybody else in the car with andrew brown? >> no, sir. >> now, do you think that they shot him through the vehicle? or -- or that's all you saw was him in the car. so, you think they shot him through the vehicle? >> right. that's the only way possible. >> and you know that he was gone because, when they opened the door, he seemed unconscious, to you? >> he was slumped over, yes. >> and you say that he lay there for a long time, afterwards, is this true? >> yes. yes. yes. >> what was this like, for you, witnessing this? >> it was inhumane.
6:07 pm
and it was sickening, to me, because andrew brown, that everybody knew, that we called drew, was not violent. he never toted a gun. so, to me, i think it was just, like, overkill. they murdered him. that was trying to flee away. >> the deputy sheriff put out a statement, early on, that brown had a history of resisting arrest. had you ever seen police at his house, before? had you ever seen him run from police, before? >> no. i've never seen that. if nothing else, he always turned his self in. he always did his time, everything. >> now, to the extent that this was drug related, your feeling is whatever he did, he wasn't known as a local-drug dealer.
6:08 pm
he wasn't pushing any product on your street? >> no. that i know of, no. >> what was his reputation, in the neighborhood? >> he was a good guy. he wasn't a nuisance. he was none of that. he mind his business. he was a jokester. ya know? he's not -- he wasn't confrontational. >> you know him a long time? >> yes, i have. >> did they see you -- >> all my life. >> all your life, you've known him? well, i'm sorry, then. i don't -- this is bad, any way you look at it. but i'm sorry, that someone you knew this long, in close proximity like that, i'm sorry. i'm sorry that they're gone. >> yes. >> did the cops see you, watching them? >> i'm pretty sure, because they made -- they told me, before
6:09 pm
they even put the yellow tape after everything was, you know, happening. they turnt back and seen me and they told me i had to step back. because then, they was putting the yellow tape and stuff up. >> did they interview you? >> and then, i stood out there the whole -- no. no cop interviewed me. i -- i stayed out there, from the time it happened, to the time they took the yellow tape down. >> did you call the police? or you figured there's no need, the police are here? >> it wasn't no need to call. >> right. they're already there. >> they was there. >> but nobody called you? nobody contact you from the d.a.'s office or anything like that, police investigations, to ask you if you saw anything? >> no. the sbi did. >> the sbi. who is that? >> but nobody else -- the sbi. >> that's local-law enforcement? >> sbi? yes. yes. >> okay. and they -- they interviewed you and asked you what you saw?
6:10 pm
>> it's state and bureau -- state bureau investigators. >> right. now, dimitria, if you can think back, how many officers do you think were firing at the vehicle? >> it was several, i can say that. i know that they did have they backs turned to me. so, i can't approximately say how many or who. but it was several. >> and that first shot, you don't have any idea whose shot that was. you don't know if it were mr. brown shooting at the police, or the police shooting at him? >> no, cause i know he definitely didn't have a gun. >> how do you know? >> because i -- like i stated, he doesn't carry guns. and i was there, from the time it happened, to the time -- and they never recovered a gun from the car.
6:11 pm
they never even, you know -- they never recovered anything out of the car. >> hmm. how are you doing with this? >> um, i'm doing. >> you have the george floyd verdict, one day. and then, this, the next morning. >> right. >> how do you reconcile those two things? >> and it hits right at home. i can't. it's disturbing. sickening. >> on tuesday, i gotta believe you felt a different level of hope, about how the system works. and then, what happens wednesday morning? >> yes. and it made us dis -- distrust them, again. >> what do you think about the fact that the d.a. won't release the tape because he doesn't want it to hinder the investigation?
6:12 pm
>> how is this hindering the investigation when that will tell the truth if that's what happened? >> ms. williams, thank you, very much. i know it's cold. and i know that your head and your heart are hurting, right now. and i'm sorry, for that. but i really do appreciate you help us putting some light in the darkness here, because we don't know what's going on because they won't release the tapes. so, thank you. >> well, he hasn't -- he -- he's not here to have a voice. so, someone has to. >> well, i appreciate you doing it for us. good luck, going forward. let us know if we can help. >> thank you. >> all right. so, look. that's -- those are -- those are very interesting -- okay, i'm processing at the same time you are. but what's the main issue? okay. why were they firing? you have two scenarios. they were fired upon. okay. if fired upon, absolutely, imminent threat, you can return
6:13 pm
fire. was there imminent threat if he is driving away? can you shoot at someone fleeing? yes, but you cannot shoot at someone because they are fleeing. there have to be other conditions present. you have to believe that that person is a threat to someone else, or to you, although that's hard to argue if they are running away from you. so, there are rules of engagement for police deputies firing on a car that's moving away is a different level of analysis. now, how does the law in north carolina get changed? so that we don't have to do this. look, luckily, we have demetria williams, who at 8:00 in the morning, she not only gets up, she runs towards gunfire. i mean, you know, that is a rare
6:14 pm
form of citizenship. and she did it. and if she hadn't, we wouldn't know anything. so, were going to bring in the law enforcement legal pros, lay out the standards, lay out the situation about the disclosure. but also, action at the scene. next. ♪ the bowls are back. applebee's irresist-a-bowls all just $8.99. at panera, dinner is hot... and ready to serve. order our warm and toasty sandwiches for dinner tonight with delivery or pick-up. only at panera.
6:15 pm
♪ ♪i've got the brains you've got the looks♪ ♪let's make lots of money♪ ♪you've got the brawn♪ ♪i've got the brains♪ ♪let's make lots of♪ ♪uh uh uh♪ ♪oohhh there's a lot of opportunities♪ with allstate, drivers who switched saved over $700. saving is easy when you're in good hands. allstate click or call to switch today. at philadelphia, we know what makes allstate the perfect schmear of cream cheese. the recipe we invented over 145 years ago and me...the world's best, and possibly only, schmelier. philadelphia. schmear perfection.
6:16 pm
scotts turf builder triple action kills weeds, prevents crab grass and feeds your lawn. all three,in just one bag. i like that. scotts turf builder triple action. it's lawn season. let's get to the yard. these are real people, not actors, who've got their eczema under control. with less eczema, you can show more skin. so roll up those sleeves. and help heal your skin from within with dupixent. dupixent is the first treatment of its kind
6:17 pm
that continuously treats moderate-to-severe eczema, or atopic dermatitis, even between flare ups. dupixent is a biologic, and not a cream or steroid. many people taking dupixent saw clear or almost clear skin, and, had significantly less itch. don't use if you're allergic to dupixent. serious allergic reactions can occur, including anaphylaxis, which is severe. tell your doctor about new or worsening eye problems, such as eye pain or vision changes, or a parasitic infection. if you take asthma medicines, don't change or stop them without talking to your doctor. so help heal your skin from within, and talk to your eczema specialist about dupixent. if your financial situation has changed, we may be able to help.
6:18 pm
in north carolina, what we know for sure is that andrew brown jr. is dead. that he was shot by sheriff's deputies, and there was absolutely shooting while he was driving away because we know he was hit in the back, from the police. and we just had our witness tell us that she saw the gunshots being fired by multiple deputies at the vehicle, while it was going away. now, the state bureau of investigation, that's the sbi that was being referred to by williams. prosecutors say we know people want to see the body-camera footage.
6:19 pm
then, where is it? two things. first, nobody wants to see video of a man dying. okay? this isn't about snuff films. this is about understanding. okay? because statements don't cut it. look, that is a blessing to have demetria williams, somebody who had the presence of mind when she hears a gunshot in the middle of the morning, early morning, to run toward it. and to pay attention. and be able to process something like that happening to somebody she knows. but i shouldn't be learning about this, neither should you, from neighbors. when investigators have the tape. it's not about hassling the cops. it's about helping the cops. and right now, it seems, they are stuck with a bad law. in north carolina, the statute is clear. recordings in the custody of a law-enforcement agency shall only be released pursuant to court order. the process to get that order is already under way. but in the police-shooting cases we could find, it generally takes months to get that through the courts. this law isn't some relic of a bygone era, by the way. it was passed in 2016.
6:20 pm
there is a bill in the state legislature right now to change this. but for now, we got to deal with the law on the books. you know who could expedite it? i know, the governor is asking for it to change. the question -- to have them released. did he call the d.a.? did he call the d.a.? and say, release the tapes? this has got to be about pressure, because time is an enemy. now, let's diagnose and analyze what we just heard and what we know, in sum, so far. anthony barksdale, former acting commissioner, baltimore police. elliot williams, former fed prosecutor. good to have you both. so, from what you heard from demetria williams, bark, what sense do you make of what the deputies were doing? >> i think the deputies were screwing up. that's what i think. we're talking about a vehicle moving away. we can, all, remember the sean bell shooting in new york many
6:21 pm
years ago, where officers fired 50 shots. and there is a thing that, in policing, we call it contagious fire, where one fires, the other one fires, the other one fires. it can happen. and, instead of being honest and owning -- owning this. they use these laws to cover it up. and it's disgusting. >> best benefit to the officers, elliot. the first gunshot that demetria williams heard. i know she said that they didn't find a weapon at the scene. i haven't heard about any weapon being at the scene. but again, absent the body-camera footage, best benefit of the doubt to the officers, even if the first shot was from brown jr., at the police. what are you allowed to do, with that person, who is now fleeing in a vehicle from you? >> well, again, the officers are allowed to make an assessment as to whether the individual
6:22 pm
presents an imminent threat of serious-bodily harm or death to people around him. now, you know, we can start hairsplitting as to whether one shot fired or so on. but -- >> we don't even know that that was from him. i have no reason to believe it was. it wasn't reported as such. the police didn't say it was. they only said he had a history of resisting. i am giving every benefit to the cops, in the analysis. >> right. i am merely playing with your hypothetical here, chris. that's exactly is, right? number one, this imminent threat of bodily force. there is other circumstances like if someone's in custody and broke out and is using a deadly weapon or breaking out from prison. none of those things seem to be happening here and the police seem to want it have it both ways. they are releasing information, as you said, at the top of this, without documentation of it. just merely saying he has a history of resisting arrest which is shaky -- shaky -- shaky, at best. right? >> i hear ya, elliot. let me get anthony back in here. what's going on, anthony?
6:23 pm
>> chris. over and over again, we have black men painted a certain way. they can't show the video. but they can link that and say, oh, he was known, he's known to resist arrest. tell me how that's different from george floyd, where he was painted as king kong high on drugs and chauvin had to go into this urban environment and wrestle on the ground with king kong. >> i think it hurts them. i think it hurts them because, so -- so, you knew this guy likes to run. demetria says, who's known him her whole life, okay, that's what she says. he always turned himself in. he always did his time. so, if you put those together, you know he always runs. but you've always caught him, before. it makes you even-less justified in what you did. >> well, chris, and they are even using these buzzwords like prior-drug convictions. and so -- what i mean, are you talking about someone with a dime bag in his pocket? or someone with suitcases of
6:24 pm
meth and a nuclear warhead in his trunk? like, they just put the language out there and expect -- this is the language of policing, prior to police reform. this is what officers could get away with before the last-several years of rethinking how police departments think and communicate with communities. and for a long time, they got away with it. and it just doesn't work, anymore. and you saw, in the floyd trial, exactly, what that statement you are talking about, chris. that shifting the narrative is a tactic that just the public increasingly doesn't have the appetite for. >> seven are on administrative leave. two resigned. one retired. so, you know there are a lot of people here, and you know they have legitimate question. anthony, how do you get the d.a. to expedite the court order? because it only takes a long time because someone's fighting on it. you know what i mean? if nobody's fighting the release, then it doesn't take months to go through the system. >> who is the boss? you nailed it, chris.
6:25 pm
the governor, send it down, say release it. send the -- send the order down. this is absurd. look at daunte wright. look. we know that was a tragedy. we saw an officer commit a homicide. they can decide if it's involuntary, or not, at trial. but they owned it. they released the video, immediately. it happened on the 11th. by the 12th, the public, the world, saw what happened. we cannot continue to expect communities of -- of color or any community to have faith in policing when we see stuff, like this. and if you weren't the one doing this on your huge show, who would pay attention? who -- who's going to do it? >> anthony barksdale, elliot williams, thank you for helping people understand the context. and remember, this isn't about playing got ya on the police. this is the best chance the police have.
6:26 pm
let people see what they had to deal with, at the scene. because, in a vacuum, everything starts to seem suspicious. that's not about us. that's about human nature. anything that you want to hide can't be good for you and that's a mistake. gentlemen, thank you. a sentencing date in the other, big case, the verdict heard round the world. the murder of george floyd. tonight, we have someone who came close to deciding derek chauvin's fate. what worked for the jury? how did it seem that they were moved during the process? the only one from the jury pool, who is talking so far, and we just heard that the judge is going to protect the identities of the jury for six months so this person's going to be your best source for a while. somebody is talking who is an alternate who observed the whole process with the jury. what worked? what didn't? and why? next. i may not be able to tell time, but i know what time it is. [whispering] it's grilled cheese o'clock.
6:27 pm
at panera, we take care of dinnertime. we use fresh, clean ingredients but i know what time it is. to make mouthwatering masterpieces. order our new flatbread pizzas for dinner tonight with delivery or pick-up. only at panera. before we talk about tax-smart investing, what's new? -well, audrey's expecting... -twins! grandparents! we want to put money aside for them, so...change in plans. alright, let's see what we can adjust. ♪ we'd be closer to the twins. change in plans. okay. mom, are you painting again? you could sell these. lemme guess, change in plans? at fidelity, a change in plans is always part of the plan.
6:28 pm
finding new routes to reach your customers and new ways for them lemme guto reach youin plans? is what business is all about it's what the united states postal service has always been about so as your business changes, we're changing with it with e-commerce that runs at the speed of now next day and two-day shipping nationwide same day shipping across town returns right from the doorstep and deliveries seven days a week it's a whole new world out there let's not keep it waiting
6:29 pm
6:30 pm
about two months from now, on june 16th for now, we'll know how much time derek chauvin, the ex-cop convicted of murdering george floyd, will be sentenced to in state prison. the most serious charge, second-degree unintentional murder carries a maximum sentence of 40 years. nothing like that is expected. though, this could be a heavier
6:31 pm
sentence because offi aggravati factors. new insight tonight. our next guest sat through the trial, she was designated as an alternate before deliberations began. her name is lisa christianson. welcome to prime time. >> hi, chris, how you doing? >> i'm doing well. how are you doing? >> pretty well. pretty exhausted, for the trial and this whole week that's been going on here. >> how much did the significance of this weigh on you, beyond the job in the courtroom? >> every night when i would come home, i felt exhausted. i didn't think it would affect me, like it did. it was pretty draining, pretty emotional. >> you've heard yip-yap since the verdict, that people on the right fringe were concerned that
6:32 pm
the jury would act because they were scared of what would happen if they didn't convict. did you feel that? or did you pick up that kind of fear from anybody? >> no, not at all. i think, you know, we understood that we were there to do a job. we took it very seriously. we were responsible. we came and did what we were supposed to do. >> now, the amount of time of the deliberation is not that long. but it's not that short. about-ten hours to go through everything. do you believe that this was a close call, for the jury? >> i was a little surprised that it took 'em only-ten hours. i thought it would be at least a couple of days. i think they made the right decision. i -- i -- i would've said guilty, as well. >> of all charges? >> in some part of it, i would have. i'm not sure about that, because
6:33 pm
in the courtroom, the judge read the jury instructions to us. and i wasn't able to look at them, again, because i was excused. so, at that point in time, i never picked 'em up again, but on some level, i would've at least found him guilty. yeah. >> the thumbnail version of the second-degree murder statute as applied here was unintentional murder. meaning you intended to assault and seriously injure george floyd and he died, in the process. it's, like, felony murder. does that make sense with what was in the trial? >> it does. i think it matches the prosecu prosecutors did a good job presenting the evidence. >> there is a sound bite from dr. tobin that mattered to you. and you think resonated with the jury. i want to play it for the audience. and then, you can tell us why. here it is. >> a healthy person, subject to
6:34 pm
what mr. floyd was subject to, would have died as a result of what he was subjected to. you can see his eyes. he is conscious. and then, you see that he isn't. that's the moment the life goes out of his body. >> you say this was the moment that convinced you. why? >> because you could -- mr. tobin was really -- dr. tobin was really spot on when -- when he said what he said to us. he could relate it to the video. we could see what he was saying. we understood what he was saying. and it -- it just -- it just matched. >> the idea, going into it, was the the video was so powerful. 9 minutes 29 seconds. it was so much time for the officer to make different choices, than he made, even if the original one was justified. was the video as overpowering
6:35 pm
from what you could pick up for -- from people in the jury, as well? >> i believe it was. i am grateful that ms. fraser was there. i am grateful she had the courage to start filming it because without her, i don't think we would be sitting here today. >> at one point, you say you saw, literally, eye to eye. you met, eye to eye, with chauvin. the officer. tell me about that. >> i did. we were just, kind of, just by seating arrangements. we were just kind of sitting across from each other. so, in between him taking notes, me taking notes. looking at the lawyer. podium. and then, switching, looking at the witnesses on the witness stand. you just kind of look up. and once in a while. and we glanced at each other probably at least five or six times, i -- i would say. >> you got any read on him?
6:36 pm
>> i didn't. i mean, i don't think, you know, he was trying to send any kind of messages or anything like that. it just -- we both looked up and it was -- it was just, you know, from where we were sitting. >> why do you think he did what he did? >> one thing sticks out, in my mind. i don't know why he did what he did, obviously. but when they took that still photo from the video that -- that we seen from ms. fraser. and he was on mr. floyd's neck. kind of, looked like his hand was either in his pocket or -- or on his hip. that he looked defiant, to me. i feel like he was reacting to the crowd. and kind of, giving this message, like, i -- this is my job. i'm a policeman. no one's going to tell me how to do my job. i'm going to do -- do it the way i want to do it. no one's going to tell me
6:37 pm
differently. >> well, now, we know. he didn't do his job. but you guys did. and it was not easy. especially, in the climate that we are living in and i appreciate the work that you did for your community and the country. lisa christianson, thank you very much. >> thank you. >> be well. we also have new details tonight on the sex-trafficking investigation into congressman matt gaetz. this case started, twisted. and is more pretzely, now. and there is also more, potential criminality that is introduced into the case. because of a bahamas trip that we know gaetz was on. what's the new information? what could it mean? one of the best, next. tex-mex. tex-mex. ♪ termites. go back up! hang on!
6:38 pm
i am hanging on. don't mess up your deck with tex-mex. terminix. hi. the only way to nix it is to terminix it. at panera, we make dinner easy... hi. and cheesy. order our delicious mac and cheese for dinner tonight with delivery or pick-up. only at panera. at fidelity, you'll work with an advisor to help you build a flexible wealth plan. you'll have access to tax-smart investing strategies, and with brokerage accounts online trades are commission free. personalized advice. unmatched value. at fidelity, you can have both.
6:39 pm
if you have... ...moderate to severe psoriasis, ... ...little things... ...can become your big moment. that's why there's otezla. otezla is not a cream. it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable. don't use if you're allergic to otezla. it may cause severe diarrhea,... ...nausea or vomiting. otezla is associated with an increased risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts... ...or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. upper respiratory tract infection and... ...headache may occur. tell your doctor about your medicines, and if you're pregnant or planning to be. otezla. show more of you.
6:40 pm
is your family ready for an emergency? you can prepare by mapping out two ways to escape your home, creating a supply kit, and including your whole family in practice drills. for help creating an emergency plan, visit safetyactioncenter.pge.com a little preparation will make you and your family safer in an emergency.
6:41 pm
a week's worth of food and water, radio, flashlight, batteries and first aid kit are a good start to learn more, visit safetyactioncenter.pge.com sources tell cnn, in addition to examining whether the congressman had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old girl. the feds want to know if gaetz took gifts, specifically travel, including a bahamas trip and paid escorts in exchange for his political support for medical marijuana. gaetz has backed multiple legislative pushes for medical marijuana going way back to his days as a state rep in florida. one of the people, though, who accompanied gaetz on that trip to the bahamas was jason, a florida doctor, who founded a medical-marijuana advocacy
6:42 pm
group. here to help us unpack it is former-deputy fbi director, andrew mccabe. andrew, i'm going to help rush your friday night and we are going to flip it. tell me why i care about this. i still think, if they can't connect gaetz to paying for sex, with an underaged person. florida, the age is 18. the federal statute is 18. how are they going to get him on this money-travel-friends thing? >> yeah, it's going to be tough. i think with all the things we have heard, he is being investigated for the sex-trafficking issue, is to me, by far, the most significant. and -- and perilous for the congressman. the public-corruption bribery issue that we have heard about with cnn's reporting today. is a very -- these are very, very hard cases to make. the bribery statute, essentially, says when someone gives something of value to someone, in a position of -- to a public official, in return for
6:43 pm
the execution of an official act. then, that qualifies as bribery. >> but, there are buts that people need to know, right? you got the mcdonald case that you are about to refer to. the link between money and favors has to be really direct. and democrat senator bob menendez had his case set a precedent that, like, there is no limit of money that a friend can give to another one, even if it's political. >> yeah. it's very, very tough. you have to have, like, a very explicit quid pro quo. and what the supreme court said in the macdonald case is the official act has to really be an official act. in other words, setting up meetings, phone calls, things like that, weren't enough to qualify an official act. however, on the other side of the coin. in -- in terms of the facts that we have heard here, if the official act is the sponsoring of legislation to support legal -- legalized marijuana for medical uses, like, that is very clearly an official act.
6:44 pm
so, it's not clear to me that a case, along these lines, would be impossible to prove. >> no, not impossible. the -- the worst part for the prosecution's going to be he's been into this for a long time. so, you would have to show that he was on the take, a long time ago. otherwise, he is going to say, yeah, this guy gave me some money, now. but it's only, like, a thousand donation -- a thousand-dollar donation, twice. 2016. 2017. i have been doing this for years. >> you know, i'm not so sure about that, chris. because, predisposition is not necessarily a defense to the crime, right? so, if you take a gift to support legislation, that you probably would have supported anyway, that's still bribery. you took a gift, in return for your official act. so, i don't -- i'm not so sure that the congressman's statement, today, highlighting the fact that he's supported medical marijuana for years and years. i'm not so sure that that gets him off the hook. >> i hear you. i just wanted to do it a little
6:45 pm
more sin -- because we don't know enough, yet. i think this is bad for gaetz, politically. he is lucky he is in the party he is in. but i haven't heard anything, yet, that blows me out of the water for a federal case. andrew mccabe, i know that nobody's going to process the information better than you. thank you for joining me on a friday night. now, i got to remind you. matt gaetz had a statement on this, that goes to what we were talking about. he is a longtime policy expert on the subject and past legislation on the matter, as far back as 2013 to suggest he needed anyone else nudging him along is risible, which means laughable. that came from a spokesperson for matt gaetz. all right. a treat for you on a friday night. everything is -- vaccines. nobody wants it. nobody wants it. i want you to meet somebody who is so happy vaccines exist. look. >> oh, my god.
6:46 pm
what are you doing? oh. oh. i can't believe this. >> this is what we want in our lives. a reunion, that you need to see, and need to feel. look at this. la familia. next. to pay for bites of this... ...with this. when kids won't eat dinner, potato pay them to. ore-ida. win at mealtime. at panera, dinner is hot... potato pay them to. and ready to serve. order our warm and toasty sandwiches for dinner tonight with delivery or pick-up. only at panera. at philadelphia, we know what makes the perfect schmear of cream cheese. you need only the freshest milk and cream. that one! and the world's best, and possibly only, schmelier. philadelphia. schmear perfection.
6:47 pm
this is the sound of an asthma attack... that doesn't happen. this is the sound of better breathing. fasenra is a different kind of asthma medication. it's not a steroid or inhaler. fasenra is an add-on treatment for asthma driven by eosinophils. it's one maintenance dose every 8 weeks. it helps prevent asthma attacks, improve breathing, and lower use of oral steroids. nearly 7 out of 10 adults with asthma may have elevated eosinophils. fasenra is designed to target and remove them. fasenra is not a rescue medication or for other eosinophilic conditions. fasenra may cause allergic reactions. get help right away if you have swelling of your face, mouth, and tongue, or trouble breathing. don't stop your asthma treatments unless your doctor tells you to. tell your doctor if you have a parasitic infection or your asthma worsens. headache and sore throat may occur. this is the sound of fasenra. ask your doctor about fasenra. if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help. [ crowd cheering ]
6:48 pm
[ engine revving ] [ race light countdown ] ♪ ♪ when you save money with allstate you feel like you're winning. safe drivers save 40% saving is easy when you're in good hands. allstate. click or call for a quote today.
6:49 pm
6:50 pm
the nearly 8 million shots administered of 16 cases of rare blood clots linked to the vaccine. we have shown you how these vaccines can offer some of the most heartwarming reunions, bringing us back to life to the people we live for including a reporter you can finally like. david gellas, his more had not seen his kids for over a year. he flew down to new york with his 7-years-old daughter just in
6:51 pm
time for her 75th birthday. >> oh my god. >> oh, what are you doing? oh, i can't believe it. >> go gif her a hug. >> i can't believe it. >> i can't believe it. i can't believe it. >> oh, oh. >> happy birthday. [ cries ] i had no idea you were coming. when did you decide to do this? >> come on. >> david gellas is here along
6:52 pm
with his daughter and his mother, bonnie. you can't trust the media, they sneak into your house and pop you on camera and make you vulnerable and for what? what a beautiful moment? what did that mean to you, bonnie? >> oh, my heart exploded. i have never been so surprised in my whole life. david and i have a very close relationship and usually i can detect things and usually i talk to them everyday and franny called the day before but she would not talk to me so i could not figure out what was going on. you look up from your desk and there is your son and one of my beautiful grandchildren, i burst you can see. it was raw. >> it was beautiful. it was beautiful. >> franny, are you okay talking to me?
6:53 pm
>> yep. >> how happy did it make you to see grandma so happy? >> it made me like super-duper-duper happy. >> how did you keep a secret? you did not talk to grandma because you were keeping a secret, right? >> basically i didn't talk because i could not share with many of my friends either. you already taken a big risk because dad new. i got to tell you, gelles, you are giving us in the media bad name showing that we have hearts. what does this mean to you, brother? to be able to really live the dream right now is to get the protection, you protected your mom and get family back together and start living our memory
6:54 pm
again. my mom got her shots a couple of months ago and i got mine recently and so the window was finally open. my mom has been really sick this year, there is no way she's going to be on a plane to see us any time soon and so just really within a few days we just decided, life is precious, we got to seize the day and franny got on a plane to be here. >> bonnie, what do you want people to know, i don't think i am going to get the vaccine or i don't know if it is worth it or a lot of it is hype, what do you say to them? >> i would say to them get the vaccine, our family is together because of the vaccine. this summer, i get to see my beautiful daughter-in-law and my other grandson, clark, when we all reunite. the vaccine is making it possible. i can't say it enough. i am 75, i have a lot of chronic conditions. this made a difference in my life and to have allie and david
6:55 pm
get it and made it possible for us to finally connect after almost a year and three months. it has been awful, the separation. it is just -- deafening even though we talk everyday on the phone. the fact that you can't physically hold somebody, to kiss them, you know, what was so meaningful in that moment that's why i cried and franny cried and david even cried. >> i did not cry. >> you didn't cry? >> franny, how old yare you? >> seven. >> boy, you're smart for seven. >> what's your favorite cookie? >> chocolate chips. >> any particular brand? >> or any type or brand? >> i am sending you a bunch of chocolate chip cookies because you made my night and you made so many families who are so
6:56 pm
hungry for what you guys are now enjoying with one another family. i am going to send you cookies and if you don't get them because your dad took them. david gelles, thank you very much for letting us be apart of your family. i am so happy for you. i am glad you will get to expand the circle this weekend. bonnie, you looked great. i wish you continue good health. franny, u thank you for talkingo me and thank you for letting us see a special moment you made for grandma. >> thank you everybody for watching. stay tune to "cnn's town hall," the climate crisis is next.
6:57 pm
not everybody wants the same thing. that's why i go with liberty mutual — they customize my car insurance so i only pay for what i need. 'cause i do things a little differently. hey, i'll take one, please! wait, this isn't a hot-dog stand? no, can't you see the sign? wet. teddy. bears. get ya' wet teddy bears! one-hundred percent wet, guaranteed! or the next one is on me! only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
6:58 pm
[sfx: psst psst] allergies don't have to be scary. spraying flonase daily stops your body from overreacting to allergens all season long. psst! psst! all good what if you could have the perspective to see more? at morgan stanley, a global collective of thought leaders offers investors a broader view. ♪ we see companies protecting the bottom line by putting people first. we see a bright future, still hungry for the ingenuity of those ready for the next challenge. today, we are translating decades of experience into strategies for the road ahead. we are morgan stanley.
6:59 pm
7:00 pm
rely on the experts at 1800petmeds for the same medications as the vet, but for less with fast free shipping. visit petmeds.com today.

106 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on