Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  April 7, 2021 12:00am-1:00am PDT

12:00 am
pardon for himself and unidentified congressional allies. also tonight, senate republican leader mitch mcconnell slamming american corporations for taking a public stand against georgia's restrictive new voting law but saying it's fine for companies to still make political contributions. president biden, who has been highly critical of laws restricting ballot access, applauding businesses who are speaking out and taking action. >> it is reassuring to see that for-profit operations and businesses are speaking up about how these new jim crow laws are just antithetical to who we are. the best way to deal with this is for georgia and other states to smarten up. stop it. stop it. and at the murder trial of
12:01 am
ex-police officer derek chauvin, a minneapolis police training instructor testifying that chauvin putting his knee on george floyd's neck is not a restraining tactic taught by the department. i want to turn now to the new reporting on congressman matt gaetz. joining me now, mr. john avlon. john, thank you for joining. i appreciate it. let's get into this. i want to get your reaction to this "new york times" report that congressman matt gaetz asked the trump white house for a blanket pardon for himself and congressional allies for any cr crimes. it's unclear if gaetz knew he was under investigation at the time but it's a new development in this story tonight. >> it sure is. i mean, again, part of the problem with a preemptive, blanket pardon is usually the person who asks for it is afraid they've done something wrong. let's not forget the crucial bit of evidence here or information that completely destroys any claims of a political witch hunt.
12:02 am
the investigation that gaetz is apparently wrapped up in began under the trump doj. don't forget that. it's basic. so this new bit of information from "the times" is important. it indicates that perhaps something was on his mind because people who ask for preemptive pardons usually have something that's eating at them. >> this push to make voting harder here, president biden is telling states like georgia to stop it. you heard him in the sound bite. just stop it. the gop knows that these voters suppression laws -- they know it's suppressing the vote here. are they winning now? is this fight only going to escalate? >> the fight's escalating, but i think republicans are on the back foot. look, these efforts are being pushed in states across the country by the gop and make no mistake. they are being pushed because and in reaction to trump's big lie. and the basic standard should be to make it easier or harder to vote. in america, we should be making it easier to vote. for all the specifics -- and folks can raise issues about
12:03 am
what actually went down in the georgia bill. by basically the ability for partisans to take control of the voting apparatus, that's in no way consistent with the american ideals here. corporations backing the democrats' position, albeit belatedly, democrats got some wind at their sails, but republicans are still going to make these efforts in the states. this is not going away anytime soon. this is one of the defining fights of our times. >> i want to bring in contributing writer to "the atlantic" jemele hill. let's talk about this more. senate minority leaders is clac clam -- slamming corporations. this is what he said today. >> my warning, if you will, to corporate america is to stay out of politics. it's not what you're designed for. republicans buy stock and fly on planes and drink coca-cola too.
12:04 am
so what i'm saying here is i think this is quite stupid to jump in the middle of a highly controversial issue. >> this is coming from a man who spent years raising massive amounts of money from corporations in the name of free speech. this is rich. >> yeah, it's rich. it's hypocritical, and he just basically gave them the corporate version of "shut up and dribble." you're fine to contribute as much money as possible to their campaigns, but shut up and don't actually worry about where your money is going or, for that matter, what it's being used for. and we shouldn't really be surprised. i mean mitch mcconnell has been somebody who has stood in the way of democracy for his entire political career. he's one of the worst politicians this country has ever seen, and so for him to, after he said all that, to say, oh, but keep donating, though, it's like does -- make it make sense, don. make it make sense.
12:05 am
>> jemele, it's not just mcconnell. many republicans are slamming the mlb's decision to move the all-star game from georgia to colorado. do you think this is going to make other corporations think twice about taking a stand now? >> no, because they don't really have a leg to stand on. the reality is they need corporate contributions, and we saw many corporations after the insurrection decide to shut off that money supply to them. and they don't want to be the enemy of the corporate community because at the end of the day, they need the corporate community. and so rather than being on the right side of history, the republicans have just chosen, to me, a no-win situation and something that's going to make their party extinct a lot faster. i said this repeatedly, and it bears repeating every time i have a microphone and a platform. rather than come up with a way to compete for votes, to create a new vision, the republicans would rather restrict people from voting. and to me, that's never going to
12:06 am
be a winning strategy. it's like if your ideas are so much better, prove it. why is your entire strategy built on not just a lie but built on restriction? if you really think that you have the future of this country in mind, create a vision. actually compete for votes. appeal to people. i know it's an outdated concept, but the reality is that conservatives have no platform. they have no position. all they have is outrage at things like the lil nas x video and dr. seuss. that's all they got. >> you're totally right about the cancel culture distraction move here. but i think the problem is -- >> hold on. john, before you get to that -- i'm going to let you finish, john. this is not cancel culture because the democrats didn't want the mlb to take this game away from atlanta. stacey abrams and senator warnock both said don't do it. it was the corporations saying this is inconsistent with our beliefs. it's the same thing with dr. seuss. it was the company and the
12:07 am
family behind dr. seuss who removed the books. it wasn't democrats or joe biden even though republicans are trying to make this a joe biden thing, that he's the one canceling or somehow democrats are the ones canceling mlb and dr. seuss. go on, john. sorry. >> that's an important point, right? a lot of this is the outrage olympics is a distraction play by republicans to try to keep folks' eyes off the ball about underlying policy. we could have great big debates. the reason that corporations are stepping up on an issue is this isn't a question of policy anymore. this is about, do you believe in democracy and making it easier or harder for folks to vote? we can say that mcconnell believed all these years that corporations should play a greater role in plongs. he put his name on an fec complaint. where we are because of the big lie, this is not a basic debate about whether you think money is speech. this is about whether you believe democracy should be open or closed, and that transcends considerations and corporations
12:08 am
are listening to their constituents, their employees, their customers and taking a stand, belatedly in some cases, but taking a stand. that's why this is different than a political debate of the past. >> john, jemele, we love having you. thank you so much. we'll see you next time. i want to bring in democratic senator john hickenlooper. thank you so much. >> nice to see you. >> minority leader mitch mcconnell calling corporations stupid for getting involved in voting rights. is he just upset that they aren't onboard with the false voter fraud claims and voter suppression agenda of the gop? >> i don't think i can speak to senator mcconnell's motives, but i can tell you that this is not a partisan issue. as you guys were just saying, this is all about democracy and whether you believe in democracy. and i think most of the businesses in america, when given the opportunity, will stand up and say that they are for more people voting. you know, when we switch over to
12:09 am
all mail ballots in 2013, that next year in 2014, we had the highest turnout ever. we had no -- no incidents of fraudulent voting in any way. we had a statistically accurate assessment done. at the same time, cory gardner, my predecessor, got elected to the u.s. senate. this last election, the primary, we had slightly larger percentage of republicans voted in the primary than did democrats. this isn't partisan. it's about trying to make it easier to vote and thereby encouraging more people to pay attention, get involved in the issues, and vote. >> i'm glad you said that because senator tim scott was comparing colorado to georgia. what did you think of that comparison? >> well, i didn't hear him, but i've seen it on paper. it's -- it doesn't hold up. i mean the bottom line is we sent everybody a paper ballot. now, we don't have as many days of early voting because almost
12:10 am
everybody, over 95% of our voters vote by mail because they've gotten into the rhythm of it, the pattern of it. >> this is before covid. >> this is before covid. when covid came, we knew we already had a safe way to vote. the notion that somehow their system is comparable to what colorado has, in georgia they have one lockbox for every 100,000 voters. in colorado, i think it's every 6,000 or every 8,000 voters. so there are many, many more places where you can drop off your ballots and know that they're going to get counted. the systems are very, very different. >> so let's talk about what's happening now with the mlb. republicans are slamming the mlb's decision, claiming that your state's voting laws are more restrictive than georgia's as we talked about. this is what our fact checker found out to get more specific about what you said. daniel dale says it is highly dishonest ask that -- i want to know what your reaction is to the gop pushing this
12:11 am
misinformation. first i would message what tim scott said, but he's not the only one there making this claim. >> some of my friends -- i was out at easter brunch and friends were giving the same argument. but it is based on the wrong facts. the key is what we tried to do in colorado is get more people to vote every election. what people forget is that colorado's system was created by republican and democratic county clerks working together. the majority were republicans, and they had a shared vision that they wanted more people to vote. they wanted to someday get to 100% voting. that's the vision. isn't that what this democracy should be based on? >> mm-hmm. there is -- listen, there is this massive voting rights issue going on across this country. but now the president is focusing on infrastructure instead. is that the right focus? is that a mistake? is he right? >> well, certainly right now people are going to be talking
12:12 am
about voting for a while. but i think infrastructure is exactly the right next step. this is -- i mean people have been talking about franklin roosevelt and the great depression. it's really -- it's more similar to the years after world war ii where this country invested in infrastructure at every level and made investments over the next 12 or 15 years that paid dividends for the citizens of this country for 50, 60, 70 years. and we can do that again, and we have to do that again. the world's changing. we've got to reenergize our economy and our ability to compete on the world stage. >> senator, thank you. i appreciate it. i'll see you soon. be safe, all right? >> always a pleasure. >> thank you very much. america is watching the trial of the ex-police officer charged with the murder of george floyd for kneeling on his neck for 9 1/2 minutes. but there may be nobody watching more closely than the people in the neighborhood.
12:13 am
we're going to hear from them coming up. >> after we get the verdict and we get this conviction, we'll be able to breathe. our new scented oils give you our best smelling scents. now crafted with more natural ingredients and infused with essential oils that are 100% natural. give us one plug and connect to nature.
12:14 am
12:15 am
12:16 am
12:17 am
nearly a year after george floyd's death, the pain and sorrow of what happened to him still raw in the minneapolis community where he died. residents closely watching derek chauvin's murder trial, some saying it's painful to hear the testimony, but they have to be witness to the trial because george floyd is now a part of their community forever. here's cnn's sara sidner. >> reporter: few are watching the trial more closely than the folks in the neighborhood where george floyd took his last breaths. >> everybody that comes in takes a look at the trial. >> reporter: inside cup foods, the place where floyd allegedly paid for cigarettes with a counterfeit $20 bill, every day the television is set to the trial of the former officer accused of killing him.
12:18 am
>> this is the training that you received? >> it's sad. it's so sad, and it's really sad to watch it. >> reporter: minneapolis resident tracy came in for her breakfast with her dog, adore. she reveals what everyone around here already knows. the strongest of emotions are just under the surface here. one scratch, this time in the form of a question, and sorrow flows out. >> how hard is it to watch this trial? >> it's mind-boggling how somebody is here to serve and protect and they're the very ones who harm you. not all, but some. >> reporter: she says she can't look away even though it hurts to watch. the store owners say they have received both love and hate, especially after their former cashier testified he was the one who took the alleged fake bill from floyd.
12:19 am
>> the policy was that if you took a counterfeit bill, you have to pay for it out of your money or your paycheck. >> reporter: christopher martin, a teenager, tried rectifying it with floyd. that didn't work, and police were called. martin now regrets that. >> if i would have just not tooken the bill, this could have been avoided. >> reporter: the store owner says the store has received dozens of fake bills over time. >> when employees do take counterfeit bills, part of our training is we tell them they're going to be responsible to pay for it just as a deterrent. we've never made an employee pay for a counterfeit bill. >> reporter: the store has also received threats. but most people are sending support via stacks of mail for christopher martin and phone calls from all over the country. >> i just thought i would make a call to you to see if there was something we could do. >> reporter: we happened to be there during one of those calls.
12:20 am
outside the cup foods store, there is not just a memorial to george floyd anymore. it's more of a community center. there is community gatherings that happen at the former gas station, and there's a community garden that all of the people help plant and take care of. ♪ on any given day, jay webb, a former professional basketball player, is in the square planting hope and beauty. >> we beautify the ugly situation. >> reporter: feet away, floyd took his last breaths last year. then in march this year, another man's body lay dying outside the store. he was shot and killed by a resident. neighbors, business owners, and activists are battling back violence and arguing over the barriers that have closed off the streets to traffic to the square for nearly a year now. but there is still love and light being shared here. >> this is our response. do your worst, and we'll do our
12:21 am
best. this is every direction, peace and love. >> well done, sara. well done. you really brought the community home here. you have been in minneapolis since this started, throughout this trial. has any particular testimony really resonated with the folks there? >> reporter: absolutely. in talking to folks about what they've been watching -- and, look, it's hard for anyone to watch that video over and over again. and not just theby bystander vo we're all familiar with but all of the body camera videos worn by the officers. the thing they remember, though, is interesting. they remember charles mcmillan. he was that guy that everybody knows in the neighborhood. >> nosy. >> reporter: who stopped and had a -- nosy guy. he said it himself, and he joked
12:22 am
about it. but he was remembered because he's 61 years old. they know him in the neighborhood. and to see that man break down the way he did sobbing on the stand really resonated with people. they understood how he felt and what he went through because they too are from the neighborhood and they too felt like they, themselves, had been attacked. and then christopher martin, the young man, the teenager who said he felt guilty. he felt guilty about doing his job, and he did what he was asked to do when he asked george floyd about that attempt to hand over an alleged counterfeit bill and then going and talking to him and trying to just do his job, and then being upset that eventually he told his manager, who eventually then got someone else to call police. he felt like it was his fault in some way. and people felt really strongly about that, that he shouldn't feel that way and he shouldn't be left with that guilt. and interestingly, the last person that was mentioned a lot
12:23 am
was lieutenant zimmerman, the most senior member of the minneapolis police department who has been there 35 years and who was unequivocal about what he thought he saw that day in seeing that video of his colleague, which you don't often hear police officers criticizing their colleague. but seeing that video of derek chauvin and saying, that's not how it's done. that's not the way we do this, that it was wrong what he did. that really struck people. i asked someone about what they thought about the police chief, you know, what they thought about madera arredondo getting up on the stand as the chief and saying that is not our policy. that is not our athethics. they said, it wasn't surprising to us because we know that guy. we know that chief. he's our chief as they put it. he is the community chief. so to them, they sort of expected him to come forward and say what he thought and tell the
12:24 am
truth from his perspective. but it was the other officers and some of the witnesses that really had an impact on the people there. don. >> sara, thanks for bringing us to the neighborhood and helping us to understand the community there. we really appreciate it. sara sidner. day seven of testimony in the chauvin trial there in minneapolis, and we've got the biggest moments for you. that's next. plus 95% white and 85% male. we're digging into who stormed the capitol. that's ahead. air wick to creater new spring collection. so we're partnering with world wildlife fund to reseed native wildflowers and grasslands. learn more at airwick.us
12:25 am
it's a simple fact:
12:26 am
nothing kills more germs on more surfaces than lysol spray. it's a simple fact: it even kills the covid-19 virus. science supports these simple facts. there's only one true lysol. lysol. what it takes to protect.
12:27 am
12:28 am
so you're a small business, or a big one. you were thriving, but then... oh. ah. okay. plan, pivot. how do you bounce back? you don't, you bounce forward, with serious and reliable internet. powered by the largest gig speed network in america. but is it secure? sure it's secure. and even if the power goes down, your connection doesn't. so how do i do this? you don't do this. we do this, together. bounce forward, with comcast business. the prosecution in the derek chauvin trial building on their
12:29 am
case that he violated policy and did not use an authorized neck restraint in the arrest of george floyd. one expert also testifying the use of force was excessive and the officers should have stopped applying force once floyd stopped resisting. there were some inconsistencies in today's testimony with two witnesses appearing to contradict each other. >> have you ever been trained or trained others to say that if a person can talk, they can breathe? >> it's been said, yes. >> you train officers that if a person can talk, that means that they can breathe? >> no, sir. >> so i want to bring in now cnn senior legal analyst laura coates. laura, good evening to you. we've heard from multiple police officials and trainers saying that chauvin violated policy, that his use of force was not a trained restraint. but we also saw witnesses contradict each other. how does that resonate with the jury? >> well, you have to concede the
12:30 am
fact that the defense is going to be able to land a couple punches, be able to score a couple points. but actually landing punches and the ability to deal a real blow is what's at issue here. they have not done the latter because they still have not gone to the meat of the matter here. of course no one is contesting, don, that an officer is allowed to use a reasonable amount of force to subdue and control a suspect. but there is a moment in time the prosecution must prove and they've done a great job so far from when it goes to the reasonable use of force to excessive use of force, to going over to criminal assault. we're getting more and more there, the more witness testimony, the more law enforcement testimony that says this officer knew better and chose to do the opposite of training. even if he had some right to be able to impose his body weight the way he did, it does not actually answer the one question the prosecution and the defense needs to answer is why did he maintain that deadly force?
12:31 am
why did he sustain it over nine minutes when the person obviously was no longer breathing, was no longer talking, was not resisting arrest, and did not have a pulse? >> yeah. the defense in cross-examination trying to bolster their argument that the crowd may have distracted chauvin, that bystanders didn't understand what was going on. listen to this, laura. >> does it make it more difficult to assess a patient? >> it does. >> does it make it more likely that you may miss signs that a patient is experiencing something? >> yes. >> okay. and so the distraction can actually harm the potential care of the patient? >> yes. >> you would describe sometimes that the public doesn't understand that police actions can look really bad. >> that's correct. yes. >> but they still may be lawful even if they look bad, right? >> yes, sir.
12:32 am
>> so these are other examples of what you were saying about the defense will be able to land some punches, score some points in these exchanges? >> none of those were any of the punches that were landed here, and here is why. because it wasn't as if derek chauvin and the other three officers were trying to perform a duty of care in the middle of the street at the macy's thanksgiving day parade. they were off to the side, and the quote, unquote, unruly crowd that was so distracting was actually imploring them to render aid. they weren't distracting them from other things. they weren't suggesting to chauvin that he do cartwheels or anything else. they weren't suggesting that he act more aggressively. they were imploring him to render aid. so there's a big distinction here from a distraction, people unable to perform because of the interference in a way that jeopardizes the performance of care. that wasn't this. and we also can contrast this, don, to what we saw from the paramedics, who arrived on the scene, who also spoke about wanting to move george floyd
12:33 am
into the ambulance to be able to perform their duty of care as well. but guess what? they were nimble and flexible in the application of their duty of care. they did not just simply decide not to provide that care. again, an unanswered question here. even if the crowd was distracting in a way that was telling them to do the opposite of what they should have done, which was to provide care, they made no effort as far as we know from any testimony to provide any duty of care. and it goes back to that thing, the statement from the opening statement from mr. blackwell. if they're in the custody of the police, they're owed a duty of care. and what bigger sign could there be to these officers than people shouting out at the very least, take his pulse. he's not breathing. you're hurting him, and calling the police on the police. >> laura coates, we'll be watching tomorrow, laura. thank you so much. appreciate you joining us this late, staying up late for us. appreciate it.
12:34 am
>> thank you. my next guests have been digging through the data, and they may have found a clue. and ahead, president biden says vaccine deliveries in overdrive now but the fight against covid is not over. >> i think if everyone continues down the road we're on now, we'll be behind this. but it's not over yet. ...the burning. the stinging. my skin was no longer mine. my psoriatic arthritis, made my joints stiff, swollen... painful. emerge tremfyant™ with tremfya®, adults with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis... ...can uncover clearer skin and improve symptoms at 16 weeks. tremfya® is also approved for adults with active psoriatic arthritis. serious allergic reactions may occur. tremfya® may increase your risk of infections and lower your ability to fight them. tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms or if you had a vaccine or plan to. tremfya®. emerge tremfyant™
12:35 am
janssen can help you explore cost support options. air wick our essential mist transforms fragrance infused with natural essential oils into a mist. to awaken your home with an experience you can see, smell, and feel. it's air care, redefined. air wick essential mist. connect to nature. why do nearly one million businesses choose stamps.com to mail and ship? no more trips to the post office no more paying full price for postage and great rates from usps and ups
12:36 am
mail letters ship packages anytime anywhere for less a lot less get our special tv offer a 4-week trial plus postage and a digital scale go to stamps.com/save and never go to the post office again
12:37 am
12:38 am
12:39 am
well, three months after the capitol insurrection, 140 national security leaders are calling on congress to form a january 6th commission. the bipartisan group of former secretaries of defense, homeland security, and senior intelligence officials want a full investigation into the attack on the capitol. house speaker nancy pelosi's plan to create a january 6th commission has been stalled. that as new research reveals a very different picture than you might think of who the rioters are and where they come from. joining me now to discuss, the man behind this is robert pape. thank you, sir. good to have you on. i appreciate it. >> thank you for having me. >> talk to me about this study analyzing 377 people who have been arrested or charged in connection with the riot, where they come from, why they may have decided to attack the
12:40 am
capitol. you say 95% are white. 85% are male. what else did you find out? >> well, with a large research team at the university of chicago project on security and threats, we've done an exhaustive study looking at all of the demographics of the individuals, the 377, from court documents and also the county characteristics of where they come from. and we've made striking discoveries. first economic causes don't seem to play much of a role. why? 45% of the 377 are either business owners, ceos, or other -- come from other white-collar occupations, doctors, lawyers, accountants. so poverty doesn't look like a good explanation. we also looked at militant group membership. there are proud boys, oath keepers, three percenters, but they only make up a little over
12:41 am
12%. fully 87% are not affiliated with right-wing militant groups like the proud boys. so we went further and we started to look at their characteristics of the counties where they came from, and we discovered some very striking things about the counties. first of all, over half of the counties they came from are counties biden won, and that's very striking because these are blue counties and not coming from the reddest parts. then we went further, and we further analyzed the counties, and we discovered a very striking feature, which is most the insurrectionists are coming from the counties in america that have seen the largest decrease in non-hispanic white populations. >> mm-hmm. >> this is an extremely striking findings. it holds when you control for population size, distance to washington, d.c., just about every -- even percent trump vote. that is the more rural the
12:42 am
county, less likely to send an insurrectionist. the more trump vote in a county, less likely to send an insurrectionist. these are all pro-trump people to be sure, but it's the loss of white population, growing diversity which is the main characteristic of their counties. >> but i don't think that's surprising because that's a fear, right? that is a fear that the demographics are changing where they're from. i think that makes sense, and also you said white populations are growing the fastest. there's a fear there. that makes sense to me. but you've also done -- and it's also not surprising by the way where you said they come from counties that biden won. they're probably upset that biden won their county, right, instead of the president -- the former president. go on. sorry. >> the big surprise, don, is we have the hard evidence to back that up. >> mm-hmm. >> you see, we now have the evidence that we can really show people systematically and help open their eyes.
12:43 am
>> mm-hmm. >> so today i've gotten lots of emails from people, some who say, oh, i'm not surprised, but others who say, wow, i just didn't know. >> mm-hmm. >> and that's one of the thing that social science really offers. >> yeah. you've also done some digging into other forces driving some of this fear, some of this anger, and it's related to right-wing conspiracies. >> yep. >> what's known as the great replacement theory. tell me about that. >> so this is the idea that hispanic people and black people's rights are outpacing the rights of whites. and we found that this is a fear that's driving many americans to this day to believe that the election was stolen and also to be willing to participate in a violent protest. and how did we know that? we conducted a nationally
12:44 am
representative sample with the national opinion research council at the university of chicago, one of the world's most prestigious polling agencies, and we did a detailed study of what americans think. and what we discovered is that 4% of all american adults -- that's 10 million adults -- believe both that the election was stolen and say they would participate in a violent protest. that's much larger than i thought going into this, talking with people like former secretary of dhs don johnson, much larger than he would have thought. and what we maybe thought before was, well, maybe it's 1% or less of americans. but 4%? this is serious. and why? the biggest risk factor was their fear of the great replacement. this is something now we need to
12:45 am
take very seriously as a country because it not only explains january 6th. it's not only true today, but it may lead to volatile politics, even more volatile in 2022. this needs to become now a national priority with much greater effort devoted to understanding this phenomenon. and very important we start that now. >> we love having you on. we're going to have you back. thank you for this incredible information. we learned so much. i appreciate it, professor pape. >> thank you for having me again. thank you very much. president biden marking 150 million vaccines in arms. but with variants spreading, he's warning we're in a life-and-death race.
12:46 am
12:47 am
12:48 am
12:49 am
12:50 am
12:51 am
president biden reminding americans today that the battle against covid-19 is far from over and announcing all american adults will be eligible for the vaccine within two weeks. >> by no later than april 19th in every part of this country, every adult over the age of 18, 18 or older, will be eligible to be vaccinated. no more confusing rules. no more confusing restrictions. >> knock, knock. let's let in the medical analyst dr. jonathan reiner, cnn medical analyst for our nightly house call. thank you, sir. good to see you. so during his visit to a vaccination site today the president announcing he is moving up the date of eligibility for all adults to be vaccinated. how much is this going to help? >> it's going to help a lot.
12:52 am
this is something we've been talking about for the last few weeks. the variants are infecting young people. you know, again, if you look at the data out of massachusetts over the last two weeks, about half of the people who have been infected are under 30. and these are largely people who have not been vaccinated. and moving this up to just a couple weeks from now will help get shots in those arms, and that's going to put this virus down. it's big news, and it's coming not a minute too soon. >> you know we're vaccinating people faster than ever with a seven-day average of 3 million doses. but the uk variant is now in all 50 states now, doctor. what does that mean in terms of how long this drags out? >> so the uk variant is more contagious. think about this. the mutation is in the spiked
12:53 am
protein that the virus uses to attach to respiratory lining cells. so what it basically does is make the virus stickier, which means you can get infected with a smaller amount of virus, a more casual contact. that's why this virus is infecting more people, and that's why we need to vaccinate people. the good news is that all three of the licensed vaccines in the united states are super effective against the uk variant. the best way to prevent getting it, wear a mask and get vaccinated. >> yeah. there's a new study published in saying as many as one in three people infected have longer term neurological symptoms diagnosed within six months of their infection. is that the next chapter of this pandemic, treating long haulers? >> yeah, what a fascinating disease. maybe for the first time in human history, the world is
12:54 am
learning about a disease in real-time. so this study out of the uk, over 230,000 people infected with covid. yeah, about 30% of the time out at six months, you can find evidence of either a neurologic or psychiatric disease, and it's more frequent the sicker you are. particularly things like anxiety. so while it's true that the vast majority of folks will thankfully recover from covid, it's not without its cost. and a lot of people, according to this study, suffer from either neurologic or psychiatric problems going forward. so best not to get it. >> today dr. anthony fauci saying the spread among children is largely happening during team sports where children are often unmasked. not so much in the classroom. what are the reasons for that, and what should parents do? i guess it's just obvious, right? they're in contact with each
12:55 am
other and they're all breathing on each other. >> yeah, without masks. you know, if they're playing baseball or if they're playing lacrosse or basketball, they're probably doing it without a mask. masking in the classroom, spacing the kids out in the classroom have really helped to prevent spread between students. but that sort of falls apart when you get out onto the ball field or onto the basketball court. so it's a cautionary tale, and i think whenever possible, when it's realistic to wear a mask, kids should still wear a mask playing sports whenever it's possible because you can transmit the virus through close contact, particularly with the uk variant, which as i said, is more sticky and more contagious. >> yeah. doctor, have a good night. good to see you. >> you too, don. thanks so much. >> thank you. thanks for watching, everyone. our coverage continues.
12:56 am
fragrances, day after day... ...for up to 60 days. give us one plug for freshness that lasts. i got this mountain bike for only $11. dealdash.com, the fair and honest bidding site. we sold an ipad worth $505 for less than $24. a stand mixer for less than $20. a 4k television for under $2. a macbook pro for under $16. as well as a playstation 4 for under $16. and brand new cars for less than $900. dealdash.com offers hundreds of auctions every day. all auctions start at $0 and everything must go. and don't forget, we offer a full 90 day money back guarantee on your first bid pack purchase. i won these bluetooth headphones for $20. i got these three suitcases for less than $40. and shipping is always free. go to
12:57 am
dealdash.com today and see how much you can save. there are auctions going on right now, so what are you waiting for?
12:58 am
these folks, they don't have time to go to the post office they have businesses to grow customers to care for lives to get home to they use stamps.com print discounted postage for any letter any package any time right from your computer all the services of the post office plus ups only cheaper get our special tv offer a 4-week trial plus postage and a digital scale go to stamps.com/now and never go to the post office again.
12:59 am
1:00 am
rely on the experts at 1800petmeds for the same medications as the vet, but for less with fast free shipping. visit petmeds.com today. another dramatic day of testimony at derek chauvin's trial as a use of force instructor says kneeling on george floyd's neck was not a trained restraint tactic. u.s. president joe biden says all adults in the u.s. will be eligible for a covid vaccine in just 12 days. and -- >> i respect them when they make that judgment and i support whatever judgment they make. >> i just think it's stupid. >> now the president and the senate's top republican have, as you can see, very different views on the companies weighing in o

54 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on